aescripts + aeplugins manager app public beta
  • Hi guys,
    I'm still puzzled how poorly it works for all of you given that we've been using it for months. It's hard to follow the separate support tickets and the comments on this page so I'll PM you to create a specific discussion thread with all testers.
  • Ben said:
    Once I updated to the new version of AE and deleted the old folders this plugin says "no compatible host applications for product, would you like to perform custom installation"    I click ok but there are no options to search for location. Its just blank window.     Then other times the app just crashes.  Its a bit useless just yet but hopefully the problems will be ironed out soon as I hate searching to find what I need to update.
    If we are to use this we need a way to choose the application to install to. Currently there is not option. Just blank windows!

I deleted the app and reinstalled and now it just sits there and the log in button does nothing??  Oh now it doesnt open at all. Um yeah def needs some work.

which plugin are you trying to install when you get the "no compatible hosts" error?
  • Looks like it won't install anything for 2015.3 by default or by custom? Would be nice if it could be forced because some work fine. 

It's rough - but this is the tool I've been waiting for! Super cool. 

thanks for the detailed report Jayse. We have lots of products and we since CC 2015.3 was literally just released we are working to try and get compatibility for all our products with it but it's a lot of work and can take a bit. If you have a previous version of AE can you try with it?
  • Hey Lloyd - no worries man I know this has got to be a pretty epic achievement so I'm glad it's coming together. This is a total fresh install on a brand new machine so it only has 2015.3 but I'll see about trying it a bit later with the earlier ae. 

• Hey Lloyd - no worries man I know this has got to be a pretty epic achievement so I'm glad it's coming together. This is a total fresh install on a brand new machine so it only has 2015.3 but I'll see about trying it a bit later with the earlier ae. 

Actually, redownload the app and try again with CC 2015.3 as we just fixed some of the reported issues and might have solved this one.
  • Downloaded the one in Kevin's latest e-mail. Most appear to work now! (if done one at a time)

Still have loopback to 'no compatible' dialog:
    Bend Layers
    Reposition Anchor point
    SearchAndEditBundleScripts

Appear to work:
    • BG Renderer
    • Cineware Proxy
    • Connect layers
    • EFX Chromatic Aberration
    • Pointers
    • qp ProxyMan
    • QuickMenu
    • Rift
    • The LoopMaker
    • TranShape

Trying several at one time however just sits there. The 'install' button flashes to 'installing' for about 5ms and then it's back to 'Install' and nothing happens. Getting closer tho!

I wrote this and a few other UX ideas back to Kevin. Hope it helps! 
  • GifGun creating a random "After Effects CC 2015.3" folder in Applications

After Ease will not appear as installed, and will not license through the app.
  • quickmenu installs into the wrong menu (scriptUI instead of scripts)
  • 'AED_Isolate' gives the error 'Please make sure the supplied folder 'AED_Isolate' is in the same folder as this script. Script will now exit.'

• Isolate also installs both the UI and non Ui to the UI folder. 

BG Renderer - It's unclear how to license - but when clicking on 'License' in Manager - I get an AE error: 

"After Effects warning: Attempt was made to run a second script while another script was already running. Second Script was not run. Try launching AE with the -ro or -so flag to override this behavior."

Probably because BG Renderer also pulled up a dialog box asking for license. 

Clicking on license without the BG dialog up works - but it makes the AE window reduce into a small box size. Seems buggy.

• Expression toolbox does the same shrinking of AE window. Guess I know it's doing something! 

EFX Chromatic Aberration says it installed - but it's not appearing in AE menu. 

Dot Pixels doesn't license - shows red x after trying to license a few times. 

plexus 2 crashed ae - but upon relaunch seems fine and licensed. 

qp Proxyman looks like it's licensing (shrinks the AE window) - but doesn't. Still asks for trial/#

Would be cool to see an icon/color representing 'installed and licensed' vs 'installed no license needed' vs 'installed and unlicensed'

Immigration works and license is installed, but after 10 minutes - says it needs license again.

• Ben said:
    Once I updated to the new version of AE and deleted the old folders this plugin says "no compatible host applications for product, would you like to perform custom installation"    I click ok but there are no options to search for location. Its just blank window.     Then other times the app just crashes.  Its a bit useless just yet but hopefully the problems will be ironed out soon as I hate searching to find what I need to update.
    If we are to use this we need a way to choose the application to install to. Currently there is not option. Just blank windows!

I deleted the app and reinstalled and now it just sits there and the log in button does nothing??  Oh now it doesnt open at all. Um yeah def needs some work.

which plugin are you trying to install when you get the "no compatible hosts" error?
    All of them. I have at least 30.  I have tried all different ones.  It was installing then i updated to the latest version of After effects 2015.3 and it kept installing to the old folder so I deleted it and now it can't find the new one and gives me no option to locate it. Just a blank window.
  • Hi Ben, I sent you an email, answer me directly since I have a few questions to ask you to understand the problem.
  • At first I thought it would be a drag to have to reinstall everything, but looks like ya'll thought ahead and allowed me to bulk select all of my installs and reinstall them all with one additional click. Love it!
  • Thanks Derek, so batch installing all your products seems to work for you (some others have issues with it). Note that at the moment some scripts with specific installs may not install properly, so if any script appears not to be installed as it should let us know.
    And how was the batch install? Did the application seem to freeze at some point? If you have lots of products and install many at once, the UI may seem unresponsive for a few seconds but the app is still working in the background. Did you experience that?
  • Please add option to select custom installation folder. Please?
    I have my Adobe products installed in non-default location, so this tool doesn't really work in such scenario.
  • Hi Thomas, this will be in the next windows version and it's almost ready, and it will then be transferred to Mac but after other bugs are taken care of.
  • Very buggy in my experience. Quits repeatedly when trying to open. Unresponsive to sign in when it finally does open. Quit during installation of plugins and would not respond to "cancel" or "OK" clicks when asking to perform manual installation. Essentially useless at this point, but a good idea if it can be made to actually work.

Mac OX 10.8.5, AE CS6
  • Hi James, the Mac version is behind the windows one, and seems to behave poorly if you're below OSX 10.11, sorry about that. Some issues have to be solved on Windows and the Mac version will then have a major update.
  • Hi,
    is it possible that beatedit is not working with Premiere Pro CC 2015.3? And that the installer is not realizing that?
  • Still not working? Pretty excited by it, but sad to see the latest update has all the same issues. (windows version at least) Any updates?
  • Not close to ready for actual use. Nice idea though.
    Keep up the effort :)
    Windows 10
  • It worked well for the many, many scripts I got from you guys with one exception: BG Renderer Basic. I glean from the other comments that, you guys have some apps not ready for compatibility and are working on it. But, I thought I'd alert you. 

This will make things quite a bit easier. 
  • Hello there,
    unfortunately the latest version of the app doesn't work, if i try starting it from the terminal i get:

$ ./aescripts\ +\ aeplugins
    Segmentation fault: 11

After a backup i tried with sudo and i got some more info:

$ sudo ./aescripts\ +\ aeplugins
    aescripts + aeplugins(9374,0x7fff78405000) malloc: *** error for object 0x7fff786d9500: pointer being freed was not allocated
    *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

I'm using El Capitan 10.11.6 and AE CC 2015.3
  • Hi Andrea,
    yes a couple of other users have seen this, but it doesn't happen for everyone. I'm trying to debug it but I'm not sure yet where startup is failing.
  • I just installed 0.9.78, and the app works so much better now! It's stable, fast, and hasn't thrown me any errors. The one problem I'm seeing right now is that certain scripts say they can't find compatible hosts, and I'm offered to perform a custom install. When I say "yup, go bananas, please perform the custom install," the app just ignores me.

And for 2 feature requests:
    1) Along with the Updates and Installed sections, I'd love to see a Not Installed section. I know the All Products view shows me what's not installed, but I have a big list of scripts, so narrowing it down would make things easier.

2) I'd love a way to be able to remove scripts from my account or simply hide them from showing up in the app. There are lots of old scripts that have been replaced by newer ones, or I simply stopped using them and I don't need to see them around anymore.
  • Yes something is broken in the custom installs, I'm trying to publish a big update for that but the ZXP Installer has been taking a lot of time as well. For now you'll have to either report the scripts/plugins not marked as compatible (since in most cases they actually are compatible, but the info on the website is outdated) or do a manual install: right-click a product and choose Reveale Installer Files, then follow the install instructions if provided.

About 1), the Updates section actually contains products that are not installed (plus products that are installed but not up-to-date). Do you really feel there's a need to separate not installed and not updated products?

2) Yes filtering is a feature that will be added later on but some people also mentioned they'd like the filtering to happen on any computer, which means the filters have to be stored online in some way. We'll do this once the rest of the app works fine!

You can reply me by PM to avoid discussing all this on this thread.
  • Can't seem to get it to run (for mac 10.11.6). Crashes when I try to open it. Attached are the logs. 
    txt
    txt
    crashlog.txt
  • I don't know if this is something to do with the app or my system, but I just opened the app to update to Newton 2.2 and the app thinks I already have it installed. It lists both the "Current Version" and "Installed" as 2.2, and Newton isn't showing up in the Updates section. I just launched Ae and saw that I am in fact still running 2.1.22, so I'm installing  2.2 manually. 
  • Thanks David, is this on Mac? I'll send you a PM so that you can share some of the app's stored data with me.
  • Very cool app, indeed. But what about After Effects CC2017? On my machine it only recognizes AE2015.3. Do I have to enter a custom path for the current After Effects version?
  • Sorry about CC 2017, its my fault: I thought it would be available later in the year and haven't updated the Updater app yet, so it won't see any CC 2017 application unfortunately.
    I'm changing this now so you should see an update (today or tomorrow) that will support CC 2017.

Edit: The Windows version is up-to-date now
  • I'm trying to run the app in Sierra, and when I try to launch it, I get nothing. It appears to be launching, but nothing pops up.. Not sure why. Any thoughts?
  • Hi Brian,

the app crashes for some people on Mac, and we need help to debug this.
    What you can do is open a Terminal and run this command:

/Applications/aescripts\ +\ aeplugins.app/Contents/MacOS/aescripts\ +\ aeplugins -debug

It will open the app in debug mode to log everything that's hapening. Then PM me the output or open a support ticket (don't post it here as it may be long).

Thanks,

Kevin
  • I just downloaded the AE2017 update. Is there a way to get this to move over all the scripts from AE2015.3 to AE2017? It might be nice to have a separate tab to indicate which version of AE you are using as your main version. (Sometimes you want to download and check out the new version of AE without actually fully committing to that build the day after it is released)

When you are pretty confident that the current AE is solid you could go to the tab and point towards the new AE install version and the program could install into the new folder.

And thank you for this program...to date I have purchased pretty much everything on your site and the updates were a pain in the butt. Now...open one app and it does the rest.

Cheers!
    Joe
  • Hi Joe,

the app uses the compatibility info from each product's page (the info you can see in the Compatibility tab) to know if products should be installed for the latest version. So it's not really following which version of AE is the latest, or which one you really use the most, but if you want to discuss that further PM me.

BTW, authors usually need some time to check that all products work well in the latest version of AE, so sometimes products may not appear directly as compatible with the last version of AE.
  • After the latest update, it never logs in. It just keeps saying "Logging in..." 

I have quit the app, I have logged out and logged in, and it still just says "Logging In..." and never shows any of my scripts. What a bummer! I LOVED being able to update all my scripts in one handy place. 

Any idea how I can fix the problem?
  • Hi Suzanne, I guess you're talking about today's update, I'll write you a PM to try and fix this.
  • https://aescripts.com/animation-composer/

Animation Composer 2 tries to download the Mac app when I use this on Windows.
  • Hi Kit,

Thanks for your message, I never saw this but there's something a bit special with Animation Composer right now: the Mac and Windows installers are packaged in 2 different zips, and by default the app uses the main (first) zip to do the install. So indeed it's using the zip made for Mac on Windows and it won't be able to install it correctly. I'll check with Lloyd to get this fixed.

But you can still install it manually: if you click on the product in the list, you'll see in the right panel that there's an "Additionnal Content" section from which you can access the extra files (the Windows version in this case). So just launch the Install, it will fail but you'll see at some point that "Reveal Installer Files" will appear below "Animation Composer 2 Windows" in the Additional Content section. Click that and you'll get the Windows installer, which you'll have to launch yourself.

Kevin
  • Hi again Kit,

this should be fixed in the last Windows version. You'll have to update the app, reveal the menu by pressing Alt and go to Help > Check for Appliction Updates, or just restart the app twice to force a check for updates.

Kevin
  • I ran the installer and it seems to have mostly worked, but for some reason it didn't install Circus Monkey or Ease & Wizz, even though they are flagged as compatible. Several tools are labeled "no compatible host found" even though I think they are supposed to work.

Windows version, by the way.
  • I ran the installer and it seems to have mostly worked, but for some reason it didn't install Circus Monkey or Ease & Wizz, even though they are flagged as compatible. Several tools are labeled "no compatible host found" even though I think they are supposed to work.

Windows version, by the way.
    Only the more recent versions of Ease & Wizz are compatible with the manager. Please read this faq on how to upgrade:  How to upgrade "Name Your Own Price" products

CircusMonkey should have installed, we'll have a look to see what the issue might be

The "no compatible host found" warning is based on what the authors had listed as compatible in the compatibility chart. Sometimes this list is not accurate as the author might just be slow to update it which is why the manager gives you the option to custom install into versions that are not listed as compatible.
  • We fixed the issue with CircusMonkey. Please try installing it again.
  • Is the ability to performa a custom install still broken on the Mac? I was emailing Kevin awhile back and he said it was, but I just want to check the status. I have a lot of scripts that are giving me this error, but when I click OK to perform a custom install, I'm not given an option to choose my host. Is there a special way to do this? At this point I only have Ae CC 2017 installed. See the attached screenshot. It looks like the right side of the window wants to have a scroll bar where I might be able to go down, hit Browse, and choose my host, but I can't do that, so maybe it's not supposed to be there at all.

Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 11.13.05 AM.png
    491 x 136 - 25K
  • Hi David,

OK I'll check why this doesn't work on Mac.

Kevin
  • Gives an error:

Error from index (1317):
    unable to get property "isinstalled" of undefined or null reference.

Also shows no more new purchased scripts
    paint.jpg
    1065 x 1573 - 147K
  • Hi Eugene,

I'll write you directly to debug this.

Kevin
  • after today's update gives another error like the previous (1317) right after logging in but with different error code
    Error from index (1353):
    Unable to get property "isInstalled" of undefined or null reference"
  • Every so often I'll come back to the first page of this thread to see if there are any updates (I suppose the app would notify me when I open it if there were), but the last few times I tried to download the app I get an error in Chrome. I tried both Mac and Windows just to test and the error was the same: 

Misdirected Request

The client needs a new connection for this request as the requested host name does not match the Server Name Indication (SNI) in use for this connection.

The downloads work fine in Safari, so I don't know if it's just my install of Chrome or Chrome in general, but I thought you might like to know in case it's a larger issue.