• Is this by design or an error in the script:  I use similar versioning of v001, 001a, 001b, 002, etc.  When I've imported a v001 and use the Version Up by Letter function, I get an error that it cannot find a version up.  Instead, I can only Version Up/Down between 001 and 002.  If I import a v001a, I can use the version up by Letter but I can no longer version up by number by click or Shift Click.  This happens both with FT Toolbar and the actual script itself. 

CC2014, OSX 10.8.2

Any insight would be appreciated. 
  • Running into problems where the script won't version up when a change has happened to the frame range.
    Example, render passes are frames 0672-0759.  Animation makes changes, and new renders are now 0632-0851, version up won't grab the latest renders.

Another issue I'm having is where I've manually updated passes where the frame range has changed, I then see that these passes aren't great and so I revert back to the previous passes with VersionUp, by versioning down.  This works, but I can't version back up when the issue is resolved.  Furthermore, I can continue to go down but can't go back up even when there isn't a change in frame range.  Example.

Render 1: Char_Only_s01_opn_090_Light_scenes_v0001..[0672-0759].exr
    Render 2: Char_Only_s01_opn_090_Light_scenes_v0002..[0672-0759].exr
    Render 3: Char_Only_s01_opn_090_Light_scenes_v0003..[0672-0759].exr
    Render 4: Char_Only_s01_opn_090_Light_scenes_v0004..[0670-0777].exr

Prior to render 4 existing, the script works as it should.  As soon as render 4 is introduced to the folder structure I can version down, but can't version back up, even between versions 1-3 where no frame range change has occurred.  

This is in CC2017 by the way.  Fix this and introduce it as a pro version and I'll gladly pay for it.  This script is borderline mandatory for multipass compositing in AE.
  • Running into problems where the script won't version up when a change has happened to the frame range.
    Example, render passes are frames 0672-0759.  Animation makes changes, and new renders are now 0632-0851, version up won't grab the latest renders.

Another issue I'm having is where I've manually updated passes where the frame range has changed, I then see that these passes aren't great and so I revert back to the previous passes with VersionUp, by versioning down.  This works, but I can't version back up when the issue is resolved.  Furthermore, I can continue to go down but can't go back up even when there isn't a change in frame range.  Example.

Render 1: Char_Only_s01_opn_090_Light_scenes_v0001..[0672-0759].exr
    Render 2: Char_Only_s01_opn_090_Light_scenes_v0002..[0672-0759].exr
    Render 3: Char_Only_s01_opn_090_Light_scenes_v0003..[0672-0759].exr
    Render 4: Char_Only_s01_opn_090_Light_scenes_v0004..[0670-0777].exr

Prior to render 4 existing, the script works as it should.  As soon as render 4 is introduced to the folder structure I can version down, but can't version back up, even between versions 1-3 where no frame range change has occurred.  

This is in CC2017 by the way.  Fix this and introduce it as a pro version and I'll gladly pay for it.  This script is borderline mandatory for multipass compositing in AE.

Thanks for the feedback, Christopher!

Appreciate the kind words and that you find versionUp so useful.

I will take a look into this when I have a moment. I have noticed that the way AE handles updating file paths through scripts can do some strange things if the frame range changes. I'll need to see if it is a mistake on my end or a limitation if the AE scripting hooks that we're running into.

Also double check if the frame range is actually correct but the file name just isn't updating. Sometimes the file name gets stuck saying the file has [xxxx-xxxx] frame range when in fact it has actually updated but isn't reflected in the name.
  • Thanks for the feedback, Christopher!
    Appreciate the kind words and that you find versionUp so useful.
    I will take a look into this when I have a moment. I have noticed that the way AE handles updating file paths through scripts can do some strange things if the frame range changes. I'll need to see if it is a mistake on my end or a limitation if the AE scripting hooks that we're running into.
    Also double check if the frame range is actually correct but the file name just isn't updating. Sometimes the file name gets stuck saying the file has [xxxx-xxxx] frame range when in fact it has actually updated but isn't reflected in the name.
    Thanks so much man, really appreciate you responding so quickly.  Just put some cash through for your trouble.  If you can get it fixed I'll happily send more.  I honestly use this script constantly.  Current project has like 70 exr object mattes, without your script I probably would have said no to the job.

Double checked and frame range appears to be correct.  Nothing in the project manager has been renamed after import.

• Is this by design or an error in the script:  I use similar versioning of v001, 001a, 001b, 002, etc.  When I've imported a v001 and use the Version Up by Letter function, I get an error that it cannot find a version up.  Instead, I can only Version Up/Down between 001 and 002.  If I import a v001a, I can use the version up by Letter but I can no longer version up by number by click or Shift Click.  This happens both with FT Toolbar and the actual script itself. 

CC2014, OSX 10.8.2

Any insight would be appreciated. 
    Unfortunately, in the current iteration of the script, it is not possible to switch between version numbers with and without letters. As you noticed, if you try to version up a letter when none exists in the current file name, it will throw an error. The script operates under the assumption that the file naming convention has been set and only iterates numbers or letters, not adding or removing anything.

But, I can see how trying to do what you're talking about does make sense, and I might be able to accommodate for situations like this in the future. Another example would be trying to version up the number in v001a when only v002 exists. Currently it would only work if v002a exists.
  • it this script still supported?
    It works in ae 2019.
    In our case our files are rendered to a pass name/version/passname.####.exr
    So for example teapot/v01/teapot.0000.exr
    The v01 folder is the only thing that changes e.g. v01, v02 etc.
    The script works only when safe mode is switched off as the folder does not have a space, dash or underscore.

But the script bugs out and re-names the file name  e.g. has renamed my imported file 

v05Nv05ov05bv05bv05yv05 v05Bv05ev05av05cv05hv05 v05Av05ev05rv05iv05av05lv05 v05Pv05uv05sv05hv05_v05Rv05Ev05.v05Rv05Gv05Bv05_v05cv05ov05lv05ov05rv05.v05[v050v050v050v050v05-v050v051v055v050v05]v05.v05ev05xv05r

Any ideas why?

• it this script still supported?
    It works in ae 2019.
    In our case our files are rendered to a pass name/version/passname.####.exr
    So for example teapot/v01/teapot.0000.exr
    The v01 folder is the only thing that changes e.g. v01, v02 etc.
    The script works only when safe mode is switched off as the folder does not have a space, dash or underscore.

But the script bugs out and re-names the file name  e.g. has renamed my imported file 

v05Nv05ov05bv05bv05yv05 v05Bv05ev05av05cv05hv05 v05Av05ev05rv05iv05av05lv05 v05Pv05uv05sv05hv05_v05Rv05Ev05.v05Rv05Gv05Bv05_v05cv05ov05lv05ov05rv05.v05[v050v050v050v050v05-v050v051v055v050v05]v05.v05ev05xv05r

Any ideas why?

Sorry about that. This is a bug that occurs when the path has a version number but the file name does not. I have a fix that I hope to push out before long.

If you open a support ticket, I can send you a beta version to confirm that it fixes your issue.
  • Hey Jeremy,

Thanks for getting back to me.

There is a version number in the path but not in the file name e.g.
    Root\Burleigh Heads Ground\v13\Burleigh Heads Ground_RE.RGB_color.0166.exr"

I will do a test where I introduce a version number into the file name and confirm.

I will also open a support ticket and beta test your new version of the script

Thanks
    Patrick
  • Hi,

I want to update image sequence files named PL001/2/3/etc_v00 but the script don't detect the most recent files named PL001/2/3/etc_v01/v02.. 
    Do you think files named "v00" can be updated ? Can you fix this problem ?

Thanks,
    A.
  • Hi,

I want to update image sequence files named PL001/2/3/etc_v00 but the script don't detect the most recent files named PL001/2/3/etc_v01/v02.. 

Thanks,
    A.
    Hi Anton,

Files with v00 are indeed treated as version numbers by the script, so it sounds like something else might be going on. To confirm, in the path "PL001/2/3/etc_v01/v02" does it contain both v01 and v02, or are those alternatives (etc_v##)? If the path does contain multiple version numbers that aren't the same it will likely break in unexpected ways, and there isn't much I can do about that.

Try troubleshooting by saving two files on your desktop with v00 and v01 in them (i.e. file_v00.jpg and file_v01.jpg). Import the v00 file, run version up, and see if it finds v01. This works for me, but want to narrow down where the issue might be coming from.
  • Hi,

Thanks,
    A.
    Hi Anton,

Files with v00 are indeed treated as version numbers by the script, so it sounds like something else might be going on. To confirm, in the path "PL001/2/3/etc_v01/v02" does it contain both v01 and v02, or are those alternatives (etc_v##)? If the path does contain multiple version numbers that aren't the same it will likely break in unexpected ways, and there isn't much I can do about that.

Try troubleshooting by saving two files on your desktop with v00 and v01 in them (i.e. file_v00.jpg and file_v01.jpg). Import the v00 file, run version up, and see if it finds v01. This works for me, but want to narrow down where the issue might be coming from.
    Hi,

Indeed, I made another series of tests and this time it's working ! 
    Thanks

A.

• Hi there

Any chance you can make this for Premiere?

thanks
    Arri
  • Hi there

Any chance you can make this for Premiere?

thanks
    Arri

Thanks for the suggestion! Definitely on my list.

I tried a couple years ago and ran into some issues with Premiere scripting limitations (i.e. couldn't reliably tell which project was active, so you couldn't be certain what project item the script would run on). But I'm sure they've made changes since then am due to look into it again.
  • Just work like the Nuke. Wonderful! Thanks man.