True Comp Duplicator

• A feature request idea for the next version: I absolutely *love* all the naming flexibility you've built in (suffix, S/R, increment.) But the one thing I often find myself doing is grouping new comp tree into a folder where I am just incrementing the version number in the folder.

So my suggestion is that under "Options" "Group Items Into Folder" you might add an increment last number in folder name option.

For now you can use AE Global Renamer to rename the folders any way you want.
  • Thanks for the support Declan and Tony!
    Declan, I'll take a look at implementing your suggestion later this week.

-Brennan

• Screenshot_1.png
    376 x 139 - 5K
  • Every time I try and load the script I get this warning "after effects warning: failed to create script panel"
    I am using CS6
    Sounds like there might be something wrong with your After Effects installation. Please re-install.
  • great script!
    I try many, but only use two: BG Renderer and... this (so it is time to donate...)

but anyway if you will make another version there are my 2 cents:
    - if "increment" is selected then on end please select duplicated comp instead of source comp - this allows multiple clicks for batch duplications.
    - and maybe add option to supress final "OK" dialog?
  • Hi, I would not like to duplicate "Composition" and "Part" compositions. How do I it?
    Thanks

• Hi Brennan,
    CC 2014 for mac, is supported ??

• Hi Brennan,
    CC 2014 for mac, is supported ??

Hey Roger,

Yes, its supported.  Was working with it about a week ago just fine.
    Please let me know if your running into issues with it.

-Brennan
  • This is one of the most amazing scripts. Thank you very very much. Please don't stop developing it. EVER.
  • Hi,

I can't open the script in CC. 
    I don't use this script a lot but I remember opening it on CS6 without any problem.

The message I'm having is "unable to execute the script at line 158. After Effects (error) : unable to convert unicode caracters"

And once I click ok on this message, an empty window open.

Thanks,

Clément
  • Hi,

I can't open the script in CC. 
    I don't use this script a lot but I remember opening it on CS6 without any problem.

The message I'm having is "unable to execute the script at line 158. After Effects (error) : unable to convert unicode caracters"

And once I click ok on this message, an empty window open.

Thanks,

Clément

Hi Clément,

It sounds like you have an older version of the script.
    Line 158 doesn't have code on it currently.
    Could you try updating to the latest version? Should be 3.9.7.
    Please let me know if you are still having the same problem after updating and I'll check it out. How to upgrade "Name Your Own Price" products (https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/how-to-upgrade-name-your-own-price-products/)

Thanks,
    Brennan
  • Hi Brennan,

I've used the True Comp script many times in CS6 and now that I've moved on CC 2014 it keeps saying to me when I try to open it :

"Impossible to execute the script at line 158. After Effects (error) : impossible to convert Unicode characters."

I'm on OSX 10.10.3 with a french CC.

Thanks.
  • Hi Brennan,

I've used the True Comp script many times in CS6 and now that I've moved on CC 2014 it keeps saying to me when I try to open it :

"Impossible to execute the script at line 158. After Effects (error) : impossible to convert Unicode characters."

I'm on OSX 10.10.3 with a french CC.

Thanks.
    Did you upgrade to the latest version as advised in the previous comment?
  • I am using After Effects CC 2014.2 Release. Version 13.2.0.49 on PC and the True Comp Duplicator is not working. It is missing the Duplicate Selected button on the UI. Is there a fix?
  • Hi Brennan,

I used True Comp several times on CS6 and since I'm on CC it doesn't want to start.

It says "Impossible to execute the script at line 158. After Effects (erreur) : Impossible to convert Unicode characters"

I'm on a mac and I use a french version of CC.

Thanks.
  • This script is amazing!! Thank you so much it's such an incredible time saver, one of the top 5 scripts on the site IMHO.
  • Hi Clément,

Could you please let me know what version of TCD you are running?

Thanks Jonathan, I appreciate it!

-Brennan
  • Hi, couldn't find you on Twitter, to thank you, so logged in here, just to say, this script is fantastic.
    (the exclude option is brill)
    I was looking for something like this about 4 years ago. And couldn't find any.
    Wow.
    Will you (or have you) made a version that works on the Creative Cloud versions of "after effects". I occasionally consider upgrading - but having just discovered this script - I would be reluctant. ;-)
    Probably going to save me about 5 hours on this job I am just starting.
    Thank you !!!
    Jonathan
  • Hi, couldn't find you on Twitter, to thank you, so logged in here, just to say, this script is fantastic.
    (the exclude option is brill)
    I was looking for something like this about 4 years ago. And couldn't find any.
    Wow.
    Will you (or have you) made a version that works on the Creative Cloud versions of "after effects". I occasionally consider upgrading - but having just discovered this script - I would be reluctant. ;-)
    Probably going to save me about 5 hours on this job I am just starting.
    Thank you !!!
    Jonathan
    The latest version works with CC2015. Please read this FAQ for upgrading.
  • Hi guys

Been using TCD for a long time on my Mac, but recently switched to Windows.

I'm using True Comp Duplicator for AE CC 2014 on Windows 8.1. I've got version 3.9.7 installed but I just don't have the 'Duplicate Selected' button to actually duplicate a comp. 

I also went back to reinstall version 3.4 and 3.1. Same problem... it all loads fine and looks fine, except it's missing the most important button.

Just thought I'd let you know. 

Cheers

Mike
  • Hi guys

Been using TCD for a long time on my Mac, but recently switched to Windows.

I'm using True Comp Duplicator for AE CC 2014 on Windows 8.1. I've got version 3.9.7 installed but I just don't have the 'Duplicate Selected' button to actually duplicate a comp. 

I also went back to reinstall version 3.4 and 3.1. Same problem... it all loads fine and looks fine, except it's missing the most important button.

Just thought I'd let you know. 

Cheers

Mike
    Do you have a hi-dpi display? There is a known bug in CC2014 and CC2015 from Adobe that does not render certain ScriptUI Panels correctly on Win8.1 systems connected to a high dpi display. The only fix at the moment is to either use a non-hidpi display or a different version of AE or OS. You should file a bug with Adobe so they fix it (the more users that report it the more likely they are to fix it soon) you can report it here: http://adobe.com/go/wish
  • Is there any way to by pass After Effects Incremental number adding? 
    After Effects doesn't like you having the same name for stuff, so adds numbers onto things. It is MOST confusing.
    If I add nothing to the increment object, will this work...

• Is there any way to by pass After Effects Incremental number adding? 
    After Effects doesn't like you having the same name for stuff, so adds numbers onto things. It is MOST confusing.
    If I add nothing to the increment object, will this work...

Just use the new item naming feature to rename the new duplicates any way you'd like.
  • Hello,

same issues here as Clément Pinel (TCP v3.9.4 / CC 2015 / German):
    "Impossible to execute the script at line 157. After Effects (error) : impossible to convert Unicode characters."
    Must be a problem with the program language. I switched the program language to english … voilà, it works! Would be also great for other people to get a fix.

Thx, D.

• Hello,
    same issues here as Clément Pinel (TCP v3.9.4 / CC 2015 / German):
    "Impossible to execute the script at line 157. After Effects (error) : impossible to convert Unicode characters."
    Must be a problem with the program language. I switched the program language to english … voilà, it works! Would be also great for other people to get a fix.

Thx, D.

This is an Adobe bug with foreign characters like accents and umlauts, etc in the names of the the timeline label colors.  Just remove any foreign characters from there and it will remove that error. You should also update to the latest version of TCD which is 3.9.7 at the moment.
  • Hi.
    How i can exclude two elements through regex?
    i need exclude exact names of two or more elements.

• Should have paid $100 for in the time saved.  THANK YOU!
  • Hello, 

i have that Error: "Impossible to execute the script at line 150. After Effects (error) : impossible to convert Unicode characters."

I am using a english version of AE and i get this error message too if i try a comp without anything in it...

Greetz
    Christian

• Hello, 

i have that Error: "Impossible to execute the script at line 150. After Effects (error) : impossible to convert Unicode characters."

I am using a english version of AE and i get this error message too if i try a comp without anything in it...

Greetz
    Christian

Please see previous comments for solution: https://aescripts.com/forums/discussion/comment/8858/#Comment_8858
  • Hi there

I just updated to the latest version of this for AE CC2015 and now when I click on the Duplicate Comp button nothing happens. Any pointers would be great thanks. 
  • WORKS LIKE A CHARM

THANK YOU!!
  • This will save me DAYS.  Thank you!
  • Hi there

I just updated to the latest version of this for AE CC2015 and now when I click on the Duplicate Comp button nothing happens. Any pointers would be great thanks. 
    Same here. Win7, AE CC (12).
  • CC15, error each time I use: Selection contains items other than comps; please select top-level comps to duplicate

Please help!
  • CC15, error each time I use: Selection contains items other than comps; please select top-level comps to duplicate

Please help!
    To use, just select the single top-level comp(s) in your project.
    Top-level comps are your parent comps that contain all your different sub-comps.
    Make sure you don't have any other folders or footage files selected.
    The script will auto duplicate footage and sub-comps based on what it finds in the top-level comp.

• Hi there

Same here. Win7, AE CC (12).
    Same here, AE 2015.2 Release
  • Works fine for me with no issues. AE 2015.2 (13.7.0.124) on Windows 10 and TCD 3.9.7
  • Also chiming in to say that in the latest After Effects, version 13.7.0.124, nothing happens when I attempt to duplicate selected. Any tips/fixes?
  • Just tested on mac with 13.7.1.6 (Latest) and no problems.
    Make sure your selecting the comp in the project panel.

Also make sure you have the latest version of TCD, should be v3.9.7.
    You can check by clicking the question mark in the bottom right.

-Brennan
  • OMG Thank you for making this.
  • Searching and replacing text doesn't seem to be working for me. (Everything else works fine)
  • Hi,

The script is awesome and when I use it it save tons of time and do things than cant be done otherwise!!! 
    I use the script to dublicate 10-20 times an after effects character (not for first time) which includes 40-50 animations 115 comps and precomps totally.

1x =18 minutes/ 3x =1hour and 40 minutes / 5x 3hours 
    (1x = 115 comps/precomps including scripts like duik)
    Note that as the dublicates became more and more the time rises x3 or even more!

So I was wondering if I am doing something wrong or maybe there is a way or trick  to shorten the times for dublicating the comps. 
    Is it better to dublicate every 3 or less?
    Or an idea for future update would be a background dublicate proccess so that the user will continue to work when true comp is doing the job?

(HP z640 2 cpu's / 64gb ram / Win 10 / true comp 3.9.7)

Thanks 
  • This no longer seems to work with the new version of AE?  Any chance of an updated?
  • This no longer seems to work with the new version of AE?  Any chance of an updated?
    If you are having a specific issue please open a support ticket and we can look into it.
  • Searching and replacing text doesn't seem to be working for me. (Everything else works fine)
    If you can let us know what issue specifically you are having we might be better able to help you.
  • When you click duplicate nothing happens.  It doesn't matter what option is ticked or not.
  • When you click duplicate nothing happens.  It doesn't matter what option is ticked or not.
    Please open a support ticket and include a screencast showing the steps you are taking so we can help you.
  • Yeah, how does the Regex feature work?
  • Only version 3.1 is showing up in download.  Is there a fix or another way around getting the updated version?
  • Only version 3.1 is showing up in download.  Is there a fix or another way around getting the updated version?
    True Comp Duplicator is a "Name Your Own Price" product. This FAQ explains how to upgrade:  Name Your Own Price