• Absolutely amazing! I'm so excited to see this script, I've been wanting someone to create the exponential sequence function ever since I started using Ease and Wizz. This is a perfect companion to that script and makes my life so, so much easier!

Between the two of these I will be finally able to accomplish my dream of taking over the world!

- Spencer
  • Haha, glad you like it!
  • Hey,
    Looks like great but it doesn't work with my CS6. I did exactly the same as the first example you did... and all keys disappear.
  • Nice Script! 
    works with CS5.5. Really love that Easing layer function :) nice inovation! will wait for your new scripts for sure
  • Hey,
    Looks like great but it doesn't work with my CS6. I did exactly the same as the first example you did... and all keys disappear.
    Are you sure that you're not pushing the keyframes out of the comp duration? If not, could you upload the scene file for me to see whats going on? 

And is it just with keyframes?
  • Hey,

I so wish Id found your script a week ago – the time I could've saved!

I need to place markers every 4th beat of a dance track. For some reason it's not working when I just have Marker selected. Ive tried with having the markers on a layer and also not on any layer – so deselect all layers and add a marker. 

Please help I have a deadline on Friday.

Cheers

• Hi Kris,

Can you ensure that the before, after options are checked and that range is unchecked? Quick way to do that is by pressing reset and reselecting what you want to move.

If that doesn't work, could you upload a project that you're experiencing this with?

Thanks.
  • Michael, have you noticed any compatibility issues with other scripts in the ScriptsUI Panels folder? I installed Rift on my desktop a couple days ago, and loved playing with the script. However when I put it on my laptop today (Intel i7 3610QM, Geforce GTX 670M if that matters), and I'm having all kinds of problems with the UI panels. At first Rift wouldn't load "After Effects failed to load..." I restarted Ae and then my computer. Tried again same luck. I closed out all other script panels, and finally got Rift to load, but now I can't get others to load, ie., Eaze and Wizz and iExpressions. 

Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • Hi Brad,

I'll be looking into this the next time I have the chance. Odd behavior for sure, haven't experienced it myself. Curious if the script was ever working on the laptop before it failed? We're you running any other scripts prior to running Rift also?

Thanks.

• would this work good for placing items in 3d space?

lets say I had a bunch of character cut outs. Could I easily populate a level area  from a bunch of pngs?
  • "I did exactly the same as the first example you did... and all keys disappear."

I have the same problem on AE CS5. If my guess is correct, tonib nicolas is french (like me) so the problem could come from an incompatibility with the french version of After Effects. Maybe you should look into that :)
  • "I did exactly the same as the first example you did... and all keys disappear."

I have the same problem on AE CS5. If my guess is correct, tonib nicolas is french (like me) so the problem could come from an incompatibility with the french version of After Effects. Maybe you should look into that :)
    I'm still not able to re-produce it. And like I asked Tonib, are you sure that you're not pushing the keyframes out of the comp duration? If not, could you upload the ae file for me to see whats going on? And is it just with keyframes? 

Thanks.
  • Hi Michael. Great script, thanks!

I was hoping that it would let me sequence/stagger keyframes on a layer, but I'm not getting any joy. Is this not possible?

Ben
  • Hi Ben,

Glad you like the script. Rift at its core shifts keyframes as a whole on a per layer basis. So no, not currently possible. I had thought about doing this while writing the script, but couldn't think of any uses for it. Could you provide an example case where this feature would be helpful?

Thanks!
  • Yeah, I thought you might ask that! What I was doing was animating a shape layer. So I had multiple shapes (actually hundreds, oops) on the same layer with keyframes applied on the same property for each shape. So my work around was to split them out onto separate layers and shift the layer in points instead, which I should have probably done in the first place :-)
  • This functionality would be very useful to me as well.  For the sake of composition cleanliness, I do exactly what Ben's talking about.  When working with .ai files, this is common, because creating a shape from vectors automatically puts all of a layer's contents in a single shape layer.  Animating within that layer becomes much simpler than trying to cut and paste the shape items into multiple layers.
  • Also, as stated above, I'm having issues when trying to move keys by themselves.  I speak English, so it's probably not a language error.  As noted, I'm having weird issues with Keysmith as well.  I'll let you know if I get a lead on either problem.
  • This functionality would be very useful to me as well.  For the sake of composition cleanliness, I do exactly what Ben's talking about.  When working with .ai files, this is common, because creating a shape from vectors automatically puts all of a layer's contents in a single shape layer.  Animating within that layer becomes much simpler than trying to cut and paste the shape items into multiple layers.

As a temporary workaround Paul, there is a Jeff Almasol script available on the Adobe Exchange called "Explode Shape Layer" which should eliminate the need to cut and paste individually.
  • Thanks for the input, I can see the usefulness of this feature. How would you want this implemented though? Would selecting all of the properties to be staggered/sequenced work? What happens when you select properties on multiple layers? Does it start over or keep on going?
  • Thanks for the input, I can see the usefulness of this feature. How would you want this implemented though? Would selecting all of the properties to be staggered/sequenced work? What happens when you select properties on multiple layers? Does it start over or keep on going?
    Yes, just selecting the properties would be nice.  I can't think of when I'd use it on multiple layers, but I'd probably want it to start over on the next layer.  I'd probably use this with Trim Paths properties most often.
  • I     L O V E      Rift! I don't even know how to express my gratitude for you developing this awesome script! Finally a solution for those annoying "timing changes" that customers demand at every single motion design project.. :):) 
  • Thanks again for the input Paul, I'll see how it works out.

Christoph, glad you like the script. Thanks for the kind words!
  • I'm trying to load up the script on a mac pro running CS5 and I get the following error on launch: 

"Unable to execute script at line 11. Uncaught exception newFont."

The panel will then render with no controls onboard. I'm on an office computer where Fontbook has been removed and Universal Type Client is the primary font manager. Might be related?
  • Hi Dylan,

I'll be uploading a new version of Rift soon that uses a different method that doesn't involve newFont method. In the meantime, the script requires the Tahoma font, which I suspect is not enabled on you machine.

Thanks.
  • RIFT have issue with precompose + time remap
    i try to shift/random selected key(s) and RIFT delete all keys and delete time remap!
    all ok without remap and on solid
    PLS fix that!
  • sorry, but new interface bad for eyes
    very difficult to distinguish the state of the buttons on/off for layer (and other)
    checkboxes was better!

bug = Affect Scrubber work when Time Affect Off
  • At first I didn't know what to do with your script. Now I cant live without it. Most used script for me. Thanks for sharing all of your hard work!
  • bug = Affect Scrubber work when Time Affect Off
    Fixed.

sorry, but new interface bad for eyes
    very difficult to distinguish the state of the buttons on/off for layer (and other)
    checkboxes was better!
    It's a limitation of ScriptUI. But I'll see what I can do to enhance it.
  • At first I didn't know what to do with your script. Now I cant live without it. Most used script for me. Thanks for sharing all of your hard work!
    Glad to hear! Thanks.
  • RIFT have issue with precompose + time remap
    i try to shift/random selected key(s) and RIFT delete all keys and delete time remap!
    all ok without remap and on solid
    PLS fix that!
    And I should mention that this was fixed as well.
  • Hi Michael,

Just been trying out rift and sortie. Just wanted to take the time to say thanks and well done for some great scripts. You've clearly spent a LOT of time and effort on these - it shows :) even down to the nice help buttons.

One small thing I'd mention in rift is that I initially found it confusing to work out which items were selected. I think that's because you use an orange highlight box and a darkened background - does the highlight actually serve any purpose? I also think that the darkened background doesn't stand out enough as the icons fill much of the available space (well, in the layer box at least). Don't know if you have any control over that with the Adobe script panel functions but it would be easier to use at a glance if the selected items were more obvious. Just a small point but thought it worth mentioning. Oh, and the = + - buttons could do with tooltips too.

Well done on a great job.

Paul.

• Hey Paul, thanks for the kind words. Really appreciated.

If the highlight you mention is the orange outline that appears when you hover over UI elements, then no, it does not serve any Rift specific functionality.

I know that the toggle buttons are hard to distinguish over a dark UI color. It's an oversight by the ScriptUI team. I think the work around is to design an enabled version of the icons and swap them out appropriately. The only thing to figure out is how that looks with the All and Selected keyframe toggles, since they already form a toggle together.

I'll for sure add the tooltips to the =+- buttons.
  • rift doesnt seem to be really compatible with CC for me, some fields like the "default unit" can only display "frames" but nothing else, also it won't let me select in or out smoothing functions at the bottom, and even the basic shift functions dont seem to work at times. Any explanation?
  • Hey Christoph,

Have you updated to the latest version (1.3.77)? You can check by clicking on the "?" button in the lower left corner.

Also, what language are you running AE with?
  • Hi,
    I bought rift because I was looking for a tool that could shift keyframes in multiple selected layers, without having to drag select all the keyframes.
    It seems that rift only moves keyframes for one layer and for chosen properties. Is this true? or am I missing something?
    please tell me I didn't spend my money for nothing.....
    And that there is a solution for multiple layer keyframe dragging that does not include scrub selecting trough 80 layers....
    Osi

• Hi Osi,

Yes, Rift works with keyframes on multiple selected layers. Are you sure you have the Layer, Keys and Time Affect panels configured correctly for what you're trying to do? Have you tried clicking the reset button or switching to a different state and then attempt to move the keys?

If it's still not working, then you must have found a bug. You can open a support ticket here https://aescripts.com/contact. And please tell me as much about your system as you can, language, versions, etc...

Thanks.
  • Thank you Michael,
    Now that I was sure Rift works on multiple layers, I re-restarted and checked all sorts of combinations and finally it worked!
    I guess the design of tha buttons makes it a little confusing - you don't know for sure what is pressed and what is not...
    thank you! this is amazingly time saving,
    I wish I would have learned about Rift a few months ago - there would be less complaints about how I miss my F5 from Flash.
    Osi
  • Hi Michael, excellent script although difficult to see what's selected or not as others have mentioned.

I'm using the script with AECS4 on Mac 10.6.8. When shifting keys with the "Affect all keys" option, is it the case that I need to have at least one key pre-selected? That is how it seems to be working for me. If I have no key at all selected then I can't get anything to move with "Affect all keys". I watched your tutorial video but you didn't seem to need to select a keyframe when using "Affect all keys".

Frank
  • Hey Frank,

That shouldn't be the case. I just tested on CS4 and it seems to be working for me. Which version is showing when you click the "?" button? It should show v1.3.77. If it is, it must be an error specific to the composition you're working in. And in that case, could you upload your composition for me to check out?

About the UI, I am looking for different ways of showing which options are highlighted more effectively. Unfortunately my options are very limited with what Adobe has given us to work with, especially on older versions.

Thanks. 
  • Hi Michael, yes, I have the latest version of Rift v1.3.77.

There's nothing special about the comp...just a solid with some position and scale keyframes.

Is it that the property containing the keys I wish to shift needs to be selected?

If I select, say, the position property (all keys then initially become selected) I can deselect all bar one of the keys and Affect all keys will cause them all to shift. But if I deselect that final key (at which point only the layer is selected but not the position property) none of them will shift.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64118848/Rift_AffectAllKeys.aep

Frank
  • Hi, I was just wondering if this script would allow you to sequence brush stroke layers?  (Just like the sequence layers script, but with the brush strokes under the paint effect.)  Thanks!
  • Hi, I was just wondering if this script would allow you to sequence brush stroke layers?  (Just like the sequence layers script, but with the brush strokes under the paint effect.)  Thanks!
    We have a tool specifically for this purpose: QuickDraw. Check it out!
  • Hi, I'm doing inserts in a 600 layers 12 minute comp where everything is moving and connected and then there is this 200 layer preComp too.
    This wouldn't be humanly possible without your script :)

There are a few issues, but nothing serious. Thanks so much!

• Don't think there is a limit. I would imagine that the only reason there would be an issue is if you run out of memory during the operation but 600 layers should be fine
  • Support Please !!
    First off, great script my life is incomplete without this. 

What i have found is that there is no way to move a layer marker on its own. The only way to be able to stagger them is to also have the source image of a layer move with the layer marker. I have a bunch of layers I make a layer marker at the zero point of all the layers. I want to stagger the layer markers 1 frame each in ascending order. But only the top one moves. After clicking the switches in your Rift UI "Layer" The combination in order to move layer markers requires me to highlight the Source footage layer & the layer marker. And then they move.
  • Definitely an awesome tool!

Maybe you guys know this already... I think the comment below by Gerald Soto is hinting at this, but there do seem to be some issues with shifting markers when multiple layers are selected and time affect is on. Cheers 
  • Hey Guys, sorry for the delay. Just updated it to 1.4, this should fix everything.
  • Hi Michael,

Re my comments below about moving keys in AE CS4 (Mac), I can confirm that v1.4 resolves that issue.

Thanks!
  • Hello Michael Delaney,

v1.4 this should fix everything.

Thanks,
    Max Enrik
  • Hi Michael,
    First off, fantastic script - love it! Just running into a little problem using the key align feature, specifically the "align to layer in point" & "align to layer out point" tools. They just don't seem to be responding. At one point it shifted the keys slightly to one side but nowhere near the layers out point. I'm using the latest version of rift 1.4.2 with CS6 64bit. thanks in advance for any help on this. 
    -Matt