• Hi, Kevin!

Cool script, but I have very big problem with shadows - they just dont appear. Doing it step by step after tutorial (saw video and pdf one) - and just nothing happens. With CS6 and Element 3D, 3D white solid and point\spot light I select both layers correctly, click "shadow", new comps appears, no errors messages... all going well - but no shadows there.
    56a5aa94757c284795c15c9480e99bd9.png
    1055 x 693 - 204K
  • Don't forget to enable Cast Shadows on your light and Accept Shadows on your 3D layers.
  • Hey Kevin,
    awesome Script!

I have one issue:
    The solid the shadow is being cast on only shows the shadow when i activate accept shadow and accept lights. Everytime i change it to accept shadows "only" the shadow and the solid disapear.
    Also when the accept shadow is turned to "on" and accept lights is turned to "off" the shadow also disapears.
    I am using Cs6.
    Thanks
  • Nevermind i had the fast preview on "Fast Draft".
    Everything is fine now!
  • Thanks Anton,
    I didn't realise this would make a difference, I ought to add a line about that in the help.
    Note also that with the Ray-Traced renderer in Draft mode you need to set a value of at least 50 or so in the Distance slider to get the shadow to appear.
  • Hi There,

I just wanted to let you know that Elementary isn't working since the Element 1.5 update, I tried opening an old doc today after installing the update and AE crashed on me leaving my film dead until a crack like you fixes it I guess :) keep up the good work.
  • Hi Neil,
    I know, I'm still at work but I'll try to update Elementary when I'm home (UK time). But given what happened to you I'm a bit scared to install the update now!
  • I think with the extra parameters in Element 1.5, the effect numbers have changed, so most of the expressions that Elementary sets up don't work anymore. Be careful updating to 1.5 if you are currently on a project that uses Elementary... as I am right now. D'oh! 
  • Hi .. Thanks again for this great plugin. It's just awesome and I have been using it all the time.
    But now I have the same problem like others who have installed the new VC ELEMENT 3D Update v1.5.
    All of my old projects which I have done with ELEMENTARY do not work any more.

Is there a chance to get an update soon? .. That would be great !
    Thanks again .. Cheers!
  • I uploaded it. To be notified quickly simply un-tick and tick again the "Enable" checkbox: because the update check is weekly it won't notify you straight away otherwise.

I'm afraid that the easiest thing to do about the shadows/reflections/z-passes that were created for the previous version of Element is unfortunately to get rid of them and re-create new ones. You'd simply have to delete the "Shadows", "Reflections" and "Z-Passes" folder that are in your Project.
    Sorry about this but I feel it's the safest route, if you need anything please open a support ticket
  • Hi Kevin 
    Many thanks for your quick suppport .. Cheers !
  • Hi,

Just purchased this great script. I have however spent an hour now to understand how things work and just found out that (v1.32 that I downloaded) have problems when it comes to Trapcode Particular if you use Lights as Emitters. In short, no shadows are created.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but my simple workaround was just to copy my Light Emitter layer from the original comp into the shadow comp and then BAM, it works!

/Peter
  • Hi Peter,
    Sorry that you wasted your time with this Light Emitter thing, I thought this worked though. I'll have a look when I'm home, can you please open a support ticket and indicate which version of Particular you use?
    Remember with Particular: if you have custom layers (emitter or floor for example), you'll need to re-select the custom layers inside the shadow or reflection compositions (cf. the overview video).

EDIT: there is a problem with Particular in v 1.35 (the beta). Please keep using 1.32 until I fix a couple things
  • I'm sorry, I can't seem to figure out how to get the 1.35 beta.Clicking on the Get v. 1.35 button just takes me here. All I can seem to get is the 1.32 release. How do I update to the 1.35 beta since I've already updates to Element 3D 1.5?

Thanks!
  • https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/how-to-upgrade-name-your-own-price-products/

The beta is available to download along with the current version (just in case ...). There are currently some issues with Trapcode plugins in v. 1.35.
  • Thank you so much!
  • Hi Kevin, tried to utilize Elementary to place 3d object by 3DE but I have some problem.
    I
    would like to place a 3d obj (a book) on ground of a clip. I tracked
    the clip and a import data with some track references as in a A, Kramer
    in this tut
    (http://www.videocopilot.net/help/element/tutorial/basic/3d_truck_composite/).
    All right.
    When I imported track data in AE, I utilize World Orient
    script to bring all tracks references and Camera in center of the comp.
    Again all right. As in above mentioned tut, a utilize a Tracks position
    to copy and past position in a Text, to perfect match the layer and in
    fact all is good:  camera moves and text is perfectly matched. (See
    attachment): image
    Now my problems...
    I'd like to use Elementary to place a 3d obj in scene  and also, of course, to cast his shadows.
    When I imported my 3d obj. by 3DE, i open Elementary and created a Anchors for a a 3d obj.
    First doubt was to Scale properly my 3d obj just imported, cause it was very, very big.
    I
    utilize 3DE/Group 1/particle Look/Size. But I also used a Size
    parameter of Elementary group to have more possibilities to reduce (whit
    3DE I reached limit) and so to be more precise...
    Is it the right way to deal Scale ?

But the big problem was to match 3d obj with the camera. When the camera move the 3d obj also moves!
    But should remain as still as the text (see attachments).
    WHY?

Halp please.

Many thanks.

Mac os - AE CS6 - Elementary 1.35 - 3DE 1.5 -
    Screen shot 2013-01-26 at 3.53.00 PM.png
    1541 x 988 - 839K
    Screen shot 2013-01-26 at 3.53.38 PM.png
    1540 x 990 - 936K
  • Hi Simone,
    in the screenshots I can see that the anchor is parented to the camera which is why the book moves in your scene.
    If un-parenting it doesn't solve it I'd rather your send me an email since this doesn't seem to be about a bug of the panel. Also, remember to always check in the orthographic views that your Element model is where you think it is: for example if you have some Null objects that represent the ground, make sure that the anchor is positioned right above them.
  • Hi Kevin,
    that parent was just accidental (to solve this problem, I tried to parent camera with book...) and un-parent them didn't solve it.
    I attach a new screen shot without video and can you see all layers. If a move camera (tracked):
     book slips away while the text remains firm in its position...

I sent you an email with the project. Many thanks!
    Screen shot 2013-01-26 at 10.24.59 PM.png
    1466 x 1285 - 390K
  • you didn't place your anchor in front of the camera, did you??? LOL
  • I talked with Simone, it was an issue between Boujou and AE: small scene and a mismatch between the scene and footage framerates. No problem with Elementary ... pfeww
  • Hi Kevin, 

Would you please help me with this problem I just encountered?

Thanks in advance!

• Hi Matt,

So you want to cast a shadow on the cards that are at the bottom? If those cards are rendered in Element you can't, that's VideoCopilot's job to add shadows within Element.
    You can fake those by using 2 Element 3D  layers: one with the bottom cards and one with the top one, and place the 3D layer onto which shadows should be cast in between.

BTW could you remove the picture or upload a low-res version? Large images usually slow down the loading of the forum posts.
  • Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the quick reply. I'll do what you say. :)
    BTW, I just edited my first post. Sorry 'bout that. Thanks!
  • Hey Kevin,

I'm having some trouble and I hope you can help. I'm using v 1.32 with Element 3D 1.5 and I get an error message that says...
    After Effects Warning: expression result must be of dimension 1, not 2
    Expression disabled

Any idea?

Thanks,
    Dave
  • I bought 1.31 a few months ago, and having major problems in a comp, keep getting open GL error messages followed by AE lockup. When I check my account, downloads section, it says that 1.31 is the latest, and when I download it, I confirmed that it is 1.31. How do I download 1.35/6 update?
    Screen Shot 2013-02-08 at 12.41.53 PM.png
    1168 x 883 - 167K
  • Hi Carol,

about the OpenGL errors, I'm affraid that's due to the plugin not Elementary: Elementary doesn't do any rendering. This error is quite common on Mac with plugins such as Element 3D, I suggest you ask for support from the plugin developer. Some people suggested turning off adaptive resolution or OpenGL.
  • Hello Kevin,

I'm having exactly the same problem as Dave Hirshberg (3 posts below)

I updated to Element 3D v1.5 and Elementary won't work at all, it shows:

After Effects Warning: expression result must be of dimension 1, not 2
    Expression disabled

To update Elementary will fix it?

Thanks,
    Andres
  • It worked!!! - Updating to the new version will get rid of the previously mentioned problem.

Thank you guys, so much for creating this.

I noticed when I clicked "create" there's a new checkbox called "world" - What is it for?
  • Hi Andres,

yes, everytime a plugin will get updated I'll need to update Elementary,  don't forget to have a look at the "Version History" tab to see what changes between versions.
        The "World" checkbox creates an anchor for the World Transform of Element 3D, which allows to move all the groups with only one anchor. This was requested by Josh Burns who uses the different groups of Element to model stuff ( ), and when you do this it's easier to use only one anchor that affects all the groups.

Kevin
  • I cant get the shadows to show with element 1.5 and cs6. I have all the shadows and lights on and nothing. Anyone else have it working with cs6 and element version 1.5?
    noshadows.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 301K
  • I can't see where your floor and wall layers are in the timeline. You need to use 3D solids with Accept Shadows set to On. Also check that your light has Casts Shadows set to On as well.
  • Thanks..I had the layers on top. I moved them below the element layer and wala it worked.

Thanks Kevin

• Hi all,

Have just installed Elementary 1.5 in AE CS6.

Creating a depth anchor works fine with both Element 3D and Trapcode Form. I can't get it to work with Plexus 2, however.

When I click 'Create Anchor', the usual options to attach to group 1, 2 etc, are all greyed out.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated,

Scott
  • As a workaround you can ALT-click the plexus layer to enable the general depth sorting and create a 3D null object as a makeshift depth anchor.
  • As Derek said: you don't always need an anchor to also depth sort the layer.
    But for people using Plexus remember that you need to add a Transform Effector for the group to be able to create an anchor for it.
  • I have a problem with elementary. It says : Please select : a layer with after effects, element 3d and a bunch of other suggestions.What does this mean and how do I solve it? I can choose anchor but nothing else. 

Thankful for help and reply.

Jesper

• Hey Jesper,
    I know those messages are long because of the number of plugins supported, but still, I didn't think they were esoteric! You don't need to read which plugins are supported but at least the number of layers that have to be selected. So if there's "1" and "2" it means you need to select 2 layers, and their type (light, 3D layer, etc) is indicated.
  • Hi Kevin,
    I saw your video which mentioned an upcoming "Elementary Pro" with Inverse Kinematics. How's that coming along?
    -Ben
  • Hi Ben,

Right now I'm trying to get into the development of DuIK. I just figured that it didn't make sense to make yet another IK script, instead I offered my help to the script's author and hope he'll agree to integrate my code in his script.
    And instead of making free/pro versions, I chose to put all the features I was keeping secret in Elementary 1.5, and in Elementary Pro I'll focus on the integration within AE (if I have time!).
  • Sounds cool. Looking forward to it!
    Hi Ben,

Right now I'm trying to get into the development of DuIK. I just figured that it didn't make sense to make yet another IK script, instead I offered my help to the script's author and hope he'll agree to integrate my code in his script.
    And instead of making free/pro versions, I chose to put all the features I was keeping secret in Elementary 1.5, and in Elementary Pro I'll focus on the integration within AE (if I have time!).

• Can someone suggest a good video to watch for the basics of using Elementary with Element 3D and creating nulls linked to Element objects - I mean really step by step basic instructions.
  • Hi Steve,
    Have a look at the pdfs here first for some examples: https://aescripts.com/forums/discussion/comment/243#Comment_243
    Then head over to the Elementary Vimeo channel: https://vimeo.com/schiresk/channels
    This video show all the steps to rig a helicopter: 

Note that now you can create nulls for several groups at once by ticking several checkboxes in the "link anchor to" window. Plus the null objects will control the transparency and visibility of the groups as well. This is shown here along with the depth anchors (very important if you want to attach Element to Nulls): 

I'm still sorting out the online help which will be here: http://www.schiresk.com/afx/elementary/
  • This may be known by most already, but I thought I might as well make a record here just in case. Shadow and reflection functionality (perhaps others)  have broken with the v1.6 update of Element 3D.

• Hi Rory,
    This is what you should expect every time an update for any supported plugin will be released. Right now I'm working on a couple features that make good use of the World Position Matte of Element, but I'll try to update the script before the week-end.
  • new patch 1.51 beta works like a charm! (Element 3D 1.6) 

<3 tks, i'll donate soon as possible.
  • Thanks Renato,

I'm still working on more stuff for Element 1.6, I will try to release Elementary 1.6 soon.
  • Hi.
    Is there a tutorial for this Plugin? Just bought it and now when I apply "Reflection" from the UI to a layer with Element 3d on it, it gives me a popup that says: 1) Please select a layer with..... etc. But it is a 3d element layer.. Please help.