Ray Dynamic Color 2
  • The update is looking really nice! Love the new icons and functions.

I couldn't find the "Import ASE" or the Horizontal/Vertical Layout functions; does this mean they're gone? :( 
  • The update is looking really nice! Love the new icons and functions.

I couldn't find the "Import ASE" or the Horizontal/Vertical Layout functions; does this mean they're gone? :( 

ASE: 
    I've found some issues with the colors on ASE files that don't translate 100% correctly.. the value would be slightly off. Also Adobe has removed ASE exports from most of their services like http://color.adobe.com ;since the introduction of creative cloudThere are more reliable ways to share colors, have a look at this video (at 3:30):

Layouts:
    The horizontal and vertical layouts where designed because Ray took up a lot of space. Now the tools takes up very little space and you can even collapse parts of the design.

It was getting really difficult to maintain 4 different layouts and there are other issues that came with the Horizontal and Vertical Layout. For example, when you have a lot of colors the tool would be longer than the After Effects program itself so some functions would not be accessible anymore.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

S.
  • Ah, should've watched that video all the way to the end.

And the layouts change makes sense, I'll just switch my panels around a bit.

Thanks again, Sander!
  • Hi, I downloaded the trial of this wonderful looking script today and when I run it in AE I get this 
    "Unable to execute script at line 1. Bad argument-Expected:'
    I followed the install instructions so I'm not sure what to do, is anyone else having the same issue? is there a fix.? I'm pretty keen to buy it but I would like to play around first.
    Thank you
    Tom Spiers
    AE CC 2015.3, Windows 7
  • Hi,

Upgraded from version 1, installed it, open AE CC2015.3,

Same with AE CC 2015.

(Windows 10)

Just letting you know,

- jc
  • Upgraded from version 1, installed it, open AE CC2015.3,

Same with AE CC 2015.

(Windows 10)
    Please download the new version 2.0.2 that we just uploaded that fixes this issue.
  • Super cool, but how can i now replace a Colorpalette like in der Version 1?
    Hi Klaus,

You can replace color palettes by copying the first layer in the color palette comp into the color palette that is currently connected. I made a quick demo video for you on how to do this: http://bit.ly/2bvAxL2

If you only want to replace a couple of layers you can select them and then create a new color palette from those layers first before doing the step shown in the video. 

Let me know if this works in your situation.

Now I think about it, I might add the replace functionality back in under the link button + holding a specific key.

Thanks,

S.

Hi Klaus,

You can replace color palettes by copying the first layer in the color palette comp into the color palette that is currently connected. I made a quick demo video for you on how to do this: http://bit.ly/2bvAxL2

If you only want to replace a couple of layers you can select them and then create a new color palette from those layers first before doing the step shown in the video. 

Now I think about it, I might add the replace functionality back in under the link button + holding a specific key.

Thanks,

S.

Hi Sander,

thanks for the fast response and especially the quick video-tut!
    But it didn't solve our problem.
    To be specific, we don`t want to edit our (Ray dynamic) color-palettes. We just want to relink the colors of our objects, to the same numbers of a different (Ray dynamic) color-palette.

In the previous version, we did this by selecting the comp (including our linked objects), choose the wanted color palette in the script window and then pushing the replace-button.

Cheers,
    Klaus
    Hi Klaus,

Thanks,

S.

Hi Sander,

thanks for the fast response and especially the quick video-tut!
    But it didn't solve our problem.
    To be specific, we don`t want to edit our (Ray dynamic) color-palettes. We just want to relink the colors of our objects, to the same numbers of a different (Ray dynamic) color-palette.

In the previous version, we did this by selecting the comp (including our linked objects), choose the wanted color palette in the script window and then pushing the replace-button.

Cheers,
    Klaus
    I see, let me check if I can get the replace functionality back. Stay tuned.

Cheers,
    S.
  • I see, let me check if I can get the replace functionality back. Stay tuned.

Cheers,
    S.
    That would be awesome!!

• I see, let me check if I can get the replace functionality back. Stay tuned.

Cheers,
    S.
    That would be awesome!!

v2.0.3 just posted now has the "Replace Palette" functionality by Alt-clicking the Link button
  • Where ist the like Button, when you need it ;)

Thank you very much, thats really awesome!!
  • Can I ask, will we ever be able to keyframe colours from the colour palette ie. Change from Colour 1 to Colour 2 on the timeline and then if the colours change the keyframed colours change too?

thanks.
  • Can I ask, will we ever be able to keyframe colours from the colour palette ie. Change from Colour 1 to Colour 2 on the timeline and then if the colours change the keyframed colours change too?

thanks.
    Yes of course!  Just set a keyframe and apply the palette color. Ray keeps track of the palette colors for each keyframe. You can choose to have the colors hold between keyframes or if you choose the "Animate" expression from the advanced settings, the color will interpolate.
  • Is there any deals if you have RAY 1?
  • Is there any deals if you have RAY 1?

Yes, details here: https://aescripts.com/ray-dynamic-color/#upgrade-notice
  • Just watched the v2 intro. Looks like a great update, however I hope you will consider restoring the ASE import function.

I agree it is annoying that Adobe has eliminated ASE export from Kuler (now Color I guess) but I still frequently export an ASE from Illustrator and use it throughout a project across multiple applications.

So I'll hope you'll consider restoring it for future updates. Thanks!
  • Hey Sander, 

Very nice update, it looks super sharp. Although, I seem to be missing some buttons (see this screenshot: https://cl.ly/hEpu). Is that a known bug? Let me know if you know how to fix this, thanks!

• Hey Sander, 

Very nice update, it looks super sharp. Although, I seem to be missing some buttons (see this screenshot: https://cl.ly/hEpu). Is that a known bug? Let me know if you know how to fix this, thanks!

Please download the new version 2.0.4 that we just posted that fixes this problem
  • Oh my was about to upgrade, but please we need to import ASE files....How else to you get a color palette in? Thank you.

Hi Geoffrey, 

I've found issues with the colors in ASE files that don't translate between AE and other programs 100% correctly... the value would be slightly off from the original color. Also, Adobe has removed ASE exports from most of their services like http://color.adobe.com since the introduction of Creative Cloud ( AE never supported ASE import ). Adobe is rethinking the way we share assets and instead of sticking with something that is not on their radar for improvement, I decided its best to get used to more reliable ways to share colors, have a look at this video (at 3:30): 

Let me know if this workflow works for you otherwise we can think about re-intergrading it if this comes up more.

S.

• Oh my was about to upgrade, but please we need to import ASE files....How else to you get a color palette in? Thank you.

Hi Geoffrey,

We've re-intergraded the ASE Import and Export feature. Please download the latest version 2.0.5. 

The shortcuts are:
    - Import ASE file: “Shift + Plus Button”
    - Export ASE file: “Shift + Alt + Plus Button”

Using the ASE files can result in inaccurate colors in some cases so I highly recommend using an alternative way to share colors as suggested in the previous post.

Cheers,
    S.

• Hi There,

I love this, it's what After Effects has been screaming out for.. I have just one question.. 

How do you link text to it ?? 

Any ideas

Alex
  • Hi There,

I love this, it's what After Effects has been screaming out for.. I have just one question.. 

How do you link text to it ?? 

Any ideas

Alex
    Hey Alex,

The color of a text layer is not accessible by a property on the layer itself, same for solid layers. Therefore Ray applies a fill effect to the layer that overwrites the color of the Solid or text layer. This way we can apply the expression link and color the layer with Ray.

If you want to color parts of the text differently, you can use a mask together with the compositing options of the fill effect. This will limit the fill effect to the mask area: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/mask-reference.html

Hope that answers your question,

S.
  • I really like the update, but the Unlink/bake button does not work.  I have tried multiple times and I can't get it work.  There is a fast blink of a UI element in the center of the screen when I click it, but the layer colors are still linked to the palette.  I have tried layers and shape layers with the same result.  Also, when changing a color for a swatch the UI in AE is really sluggish when trying to find a new color on the color gradient that appears when you click on the color box in the effects control panel.  I'm using the latest release of AE (13.8.1.38) on Windows 8.1.  Please let me know if you need anything else from me to get it working correctly.  Thank you.
  • I really like the update, but the Unlink/bake button does not work.  I have tried multiple times and I can't get it work.  There is a fast blink of a UI element in the center of the screen when I click it, but the layer colors are still linked to the palette.  I have tried layers and shape layers with the same result.  Also, when changing a color for a swatch the UI in AE is really sluggish when trying to find a new color on the color gradient that appears when you click on the color box in the effects control panel.  I'm using the latest release of AE (13.8.1.38) on Windows 8.1.  Please let me know if you need anything else from me to get it working correctly.  Thank you.

Can you please record a screencast showing the issue you are describing and open a support ticket to send it to us: https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1&sku=SVDRDC2-SUL You case use this to record the screencast if you don't have any other software to do it: http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/
  • Done.  Thank you!
    I really like the update, but the Unlink/bake button does not work.  I have tried multiple times and I can't get it work.  There is a fast blink of a UI element in the center of the screen when I click it, but the layer colors are still linked to the palette.  I have tried layers and shape layers with the same result.  Also, when changing a color for a swatch the UI in AE is really sluggish when trying to find a new color on the color gradient that appears when you click on the color box in the effects control panel.  I'm using the latest release of AE (13.8.1.38) on Windows 8.1.  Please let me know if you need anything else from me to get it working correctly.  Thank you.

Can you please record a screencast showing the issue you are describing and open a support ticket to send it to us: https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1&sku=SVDRDC2-SUL You case use this to record the screencast if you don't have any other software to do it: http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/

• This is great, thanks Sander! I've noticed when you use the advanced setting like 'random' you cannot bake the colours onto the layers. Is there a way around this?

Cheers
    W
  • I have installed the trial vers 2.0.5 and am getting the disappearing palette and I find the whole script becomes unresponsive (tool icon doesn't work etc.) Restart of AE brings it back. Running AE 2015.3 on Mac Pro Late 2013 running El Capitan. Any ideas?
  • I have installed the trial vers 2.0.5 and am getting the disappearing palette and I find the whole script becomes unresponsive (tool icon doesn't work etc.) Restart of AE brings it back. Running AE 2015.3 on Mac Pro Late 2013 running El Capitan. Any ideas?
    We have fixed the Unlink (Bake) button not working and disappearing colors issue in the new v2.0.6 version we just posted. Please update and let us know if you still have issues.

• Downloaded the 2.0.7 version. Color palette still disappears. Does this only happen with trial version?
  • Downloaded the 2.0.7 version. Color palette still disappears. Does this only happen with trial version?
    Please download v2.0.9 that was just posted. If you are still having trouble please open a support ticket
  • Tried 2.0.10. Palette disappears and won't load. This is a product I could really use but it's just not working for me.
  • Tried 2.0.10. Palette disappears and won't load. This is a product I could really use but it's just not working for me.
    Please record a screencast showing what is happening and upload to  a support ticket so we can help you further. You can use this to record the screencast: http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/
  • Hi Lloyd -
    Just installed v2.0.10 and clicked on the gear for info. Is it my system or is the text next to each icon close to unreadable? Wowser, that's teeny tiny! Any way to make that bigger?
  • Hi Lloyd -
    Just installed v2.0.10 and clicked on the gear for info. Is it my system or is the text next to each icon close to unreadable? Wowser, that's teeny tiny! Any way to make that bigger?
    The text looks fine for us here. Can you please open a support ticket and upload a screenshot along with your system details so we can see what you are seeing and look into it?
  • It would be great to use Ray to consolidate colors.

While this can be done once, it does leave you with a project linked to a huge pallette with duplicate colours once they have all been changed.

It would be good to then reduce it down.

Has anyone found a way to:

-Scan a project with Ray to find all colours

-Color pick all those down to LESS colors, reduce the number of Ray Colors (all good so far)

-delete the Ray links entirely now the colors have been reduced (doesn't work)

-Scan again and link those existing colors to a new palette

Am thinking I will have to use new version and scan a second palette, only I am not sure how to do that without the scan button.

At the moment unlinking doesn't work properly so there is no way I can delete the Ray Comp without getting expression errors.

• Can I ask, if ensuring the illustrator and After Effects projects share the same colorspace, then numbers stay faithful? Or if AE has no color management then the AI file must be sRGB? Is this the only problem? good new solutions though
  • It would be great to use Ray to consolidate colors.

While this can be done once, it does leave you with a project linked to a huge pallette with duplicate colours once they have all been changed.

It would be good to then reduce it down.

Has anyone found a way to:

-Scan a project with Ray to find all colours

-Color pick all those down to LESS colors, reduce the number of Ray Colors (all good so far)

-delete the Ray links entirely now the colors have been reduced (doesn't work)

-Scan again and link those existing colors to a new palette

Am thinking I will have to use new version and scan a second palette, only I am not sure how to do that without the scan button.

At the moment unlinking doesn't work properly so there is no way I can delete the Ray Comp without getting expression errors.

Hey Tristan,

In the new version of ray you can be more flexible with the color links and consolidate them.

Steps:
    1. Select you comps, press the unlink button. (this will transform the colors linked to Ray into normal independent color values.) 

2. Duplicate your huge palette and in the new duplicate, delete the colors you don't want in there. Feel free to rearrange colors as well. Name the palette how you like.

3. Load/Select this new consolidated palette in Ray.

4. Same as in Step one but now Select your comps and press the link button. (this will search the comps for colors that are in the consolidated palette and link them with the expression link)

* you can also turn on "recurse nested comps" this will dig down into pre-comps to search for color properties to unlink or link.

Let me know if that worked and if you have any other questions.

S.

• FYI opening Color finesse full app window,  the Ray window still floats on top
  • FYI opening Color finesse full app window,  the Ray window still floats on top
    Are you running Ray as a docked panel from the Window menu? If not then you should by installing it in the ScriptUI Panels folder. You can also use our manager app to install it: https://aescripts.com/learn/aescripts-aeplugins-manager-app/
  • Warning : do not sample color direct fwith effect eyedropper from Ray Palette as this does not work. Can sample from Ray actual comp solid. (I am consolidating colors)

• Warning : do not sample color direct fwith effect eyedropper from Ray Palette as this does not work. Can sample from Ray actual comp solid. (I am consolidating colors)

This sounds like an issue with the effect eyedropper. Have you reported this to Adobe?
  • Hi Sander/Lloyd -
    I'm working with many templates that differ only in colors. Using RDC 2.0.10. In the "Ray - palette" comp, I duplicate the shape layer and then when I rearrange the color order in the top layer, some of the templates update and others don't. They all have "color" chosen for the expression type in the RDC palette, so it's not a cycling issue. Any ideas? Is there an issue with how many layers can be in the Ray-palette comp? - I'm using 3. Thanks for the help!
  • Hi Sander/Lloyd -
    I'm working with many templates that differ only in colors. Using RDC 2.0.10. In the "Ray - palette" comp, I duplicate the shape layer and then when I rearrange the color order in the top layer, some of the templates update and others don't. They all have "color" chosen for the expression type in the RDC palette, so it's not a cycling issue. Any ideas? Is there an issue with how many layers can be in the Ray-palette comp? - I'm using 3. Thanks for the help!
    Please open a support ticket and include screenshots explaining the issue as well as the project file (.aep only, no footage).
  • Thanks for making this great tool. I'm looking for the video that explains how to use the animation feature. Sorry can't seem to find it--do you have a link? Thanks!
  • Thanks for making this great tool. I'm looking for the video that explains how to use the animation feature. Sorry can't seem to find it--do you have a link? Thanks!
    Hi Thomas! 

I'm currently recording a tutorial about this that will be out soon. Here is a link of the section talking about the animation feature: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8528087/videoEmails/Animate-01.mp4

Let me know if that answers your question.

S.

• Hi!
    Just installed Ray and as soon as I choose a couple of shape layers and push the plus button, the expressions are written but I get expression errors every time I try to use Ray.
    Any ideas?

• Hi!

Just installed Ray and as soon as I choose a couple of shape layers and push the plus button, the expressions are written but I get expression errors every time I try to use Ray.
    Any ideas?

Please open a support ticket and provide screenshots and the project file so we can help you further. https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
    Hi Thomas! 

I'm currently recording a tutorial about this that will be out soon. Here is a link of the section talking about the animation feature: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8528087/videoEmails/Animate-01.mp4

Let me know if that answers your question.

S.

Yes it does. Perfect. Thanks Sander!