True Comp Duplicator
  • Yeah, how does the Regex feature work?
    Regular Expressions (Regex) is a very powerful syntax to match patterns in strings. There is tons of information on the web about it, here's an example: http://www.regular-expressions.info/reference.html
  • Hi There,

Installed this one, but it doesn't show the Duplicate Button! Help?

Thank you!

• Hi There,

Installed this one, but it doesn't show the Duplicate Button! Help?

Thank you!

There is a bug when using older versions of After Effects and Hi-DPI displays that can cause this.
    Either updating to a newer version of After Effects, or a different display should help.

-Brennan
  • image - instead of working window appears completely empty. Photo: https://vk.com/grigoryev.egor?z=photo11783399_433050070/photos11783399
  • Hi There, 

Installed this one, but it doesn't show the Duplicate Button! Help? I have Adobe After Effects CC 2015 (v13.7.1) ENG Update 4.

Thank you!

• Hi There, 

Installed this one, but it doesn't show the Duplicate Button! Help? I have Adobe After Effects CC 2015 (v13.7.1) ENG Update 4.

Thank you!

The window shows _True Comp Duplicator as the name of the panel.
    Did you rename the script? Should be called "True Comp Duplicator.jsx"
    Please open a support ticket so we can help you further.

• Hi There, 

Thank you!

The window shows _True Comp Duplicator as the name of the panel.
    Did you rename the script? Should be called "True Comp Duplicator.jsx"
    Please open a support ticket so we can help you further.
    Hi There, 

• ohh, it's so handful, tons and tons hours are saved! Thank you! 
  • Hi Brennan, I'm on CC 2015.3 and can get the script working via file-run script but would like it to be permanently dockable. Is there a way to do that? 
  • Hi Brennan, I'm on CC 2015.3 and can get the script working via file-run script but would like it to be permanently dockable. Is there a way to do that? 
    If you place the script in the ScriptsUI folder it will allow you to dock it.

Check out this video for more details:
  • Hey I run AE CC 2014, but it doesn't show the Duplicate Button! only Collect dependencies !!!
  • Any luck for helping me deal with these long waiting hours mentioned here from July 2016?
    Thanks
  • I downloaded 3.9.9 but in the "help" it still says it's 3.9.7
  • Hey I run AE CC 2014, but it doesn't show the Duplicate Button! only Collect dependencies !!!
    Same problem with same AE CC2014 ! :(
  • It would be awesome if you moved the Duplicate Selected button to the very top. The panel is so huge and would allow for more efficient workspace when the panel is minimised, especially if you always use the same settings.
  • After Effects CC 2017, 2015.3, OSX 10.12. Script doesn't work, when select comp and hit duplicate nothing happens. Please help.
  • I only have a collect files button not a duplicate button as others have cited. I have tried with the same result on After Effects CC 2014 and 2017. I have the script in the UI Panels folder.
    Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 5.48.09 PM.png
    640 x 498 - 42K
  • I only have a collect files button not a duplicate button as others have cited. I have tried with the same result on After Effects CC 2014 and 2017. I have the script in the UI Panels folder.

Please open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1&product_id=105
  • I only have a collect files button not a duplicate button 

Try expanding your window, make it longer, then you will see the duplicate button! :)
  • This is such an amazing tool. Thank you so much. I haven't paid you yet, as I'm still a starving artist (not starving, but I'm not flush at the moment with cash), however, I will be sure to pay you at some point in the future :D much love <3
  • When duplicating with adding a prefix I can add letters and/or numbers. However when using Suffix I can only add a number. it will not let me use letters ?
  • I love this script and use it quite often but with the latest update the Ui got a bit big for my taste and I constantly have to rearrange it(as I have docked it in my UI) to get to the Duplicate Selected button.
    Would it be possible to add a scroll bar to the Script or make the DS-Button independent from the rest so that it doesn't get "resized" with the rest. Alternativley position the Options(except the Group items into folder, as I often use it) on another tab in the Script. Thanks
  • Hi Brennan! Thanks so much for this - it's so useful and I'm happily a paying customer, especially since you've made it a "Name Your Own Price" product.

Do you (or anyone else!) know of a similar utility for Premiere that will duplicate sequences with their nested sequences? Thanks again!
  • Hi thanks for the Plugin! After I duplicate a comp, the whole comp turns black. I can highlight the objects in the comp as you can see in the screenshot but they do not show up, not sure what is causing this? I have cleared cache and restarted AE.

• Hi thanks for the Plugin! After I duplicate a comp, the whole comp turns black. I can highlight the objects in the comp as you can see in the screenshot but they do not show up, not sure what is causing this? I have cleared cache and restarted AE.

Open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/
  • Powerful tool. Using in CC 2018 on OS X. 
    I use it for 3D render composites, which involve about a half dozen comps that need to be duplicated and re-nested, and about a half-dozen others that can be reused across renders. I place a "U_" (for "Universal") at the beginning of the comps that should be reused and tell the duplicator to Exclude all comps with a "U_" at the beginning. I tell it to group items into a new folder, and use a search/replace. Took a few tries to get it working how I wanted it. Works flawlessly so far. Well done.
  • Hi there! This plugin is such a life-saver. When do you think you'll be able to make it compatible with AE 2019? Suddenly the .jsx isn't showing up for me. 

Thankfully I can go back to AE 2018 for awhile, as I can't live without this wonderful tool. Thanks!
  • Hi there! This plugin is such a life-saver. When do you think you'll be able to make it compatible with AE 2019? Suddenly the .jsx isn't showing up for me. 

Thankfully I can go back to AE 2018 for awhile, as I can't live without this wonderful tool. Thanks!
    It works fine in CC2019, you might need to reinstall it.
  • Cannot describe how much time this script has saved me.  Brennan Chapman, you are a god in human form.
  • Amazing, use it almost every day!
  • God bless you!
  • Hi,

Do you have any reason to believe the "Exclude items with" feature is broken in CC 2019 (v16.1.1 build 4)?

Try as I might, I've set all of the parameters I can think of. I've tried suffix, prefix, I've tried different values, I've renamed the layers and the comps, and each time the script totally ignores that value.

It's a real issue, it's creating duplicates of my dozens of fixed assets (like logos), whereas I only need about 3 to be true duplicates (text precomps)

Let me know what other information you need.

Thanks!
  • Hi,

Do you have any reason to believe the "Exclude items with" feature is broken in CC 2019 (v16.1.1 build 4)?

Try as I might, I've set all of the parameters I can think of. I've tried suffix, prefix, I've tried different values, I've renamed the layers and the comps, and each time the script totally ignores that value.

It's a real issue, it's creating duplicates of my dozens of fixed assets (like logos), whereas I only need about 3 to be true duplicates (text precomps)

Let me know what other information you need.

Thanks!
    Open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/
  • Open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/
    Thanks Lloyd!

It turns out that I'm going crazy. I need to rename the comps in the project bin, not the layer names in the comp that refer to them.

I convinced myself that I had tried that but apparently I hadn't and it was that simple. That's what I get for late night project building ;). Thanks again!
  • Hi Lloyd, lately with the latest updates of AE, I've been some troubles when I duplicate head rigging with Joystick and Sliders. The issue is that the expressions it doesn't update when I use the renaming feature with Suffix or prefix. Even I used the "search and replace" method. when I checked the expressions I noticed that pre-comp names do not update. In the past, I was able to duplicate without a problem, I don't what to do. this is one of the essential methods of my workflow. 
    I'll appreciate any help you can give me  
  • J Alsop said:
    Still having problems using this script with CS6. 'TypeError null is not an object'. Using the most recent True Comp too.
    open a support ticket 
  • Fantastic script. Still using today on a regular basis. So greatly appreciated!
  • Excellent script! I make product templates and build app states in modules.  This makes it so much easier to duplicate those modules and keep the expressions connected properly.
  • Essential script! One of my daily tools in AE., however I have one feature request, sometimes you need to duplicate from a clean comp, lets say its name is “Comp_00”, you need to keep coming back to it and duplicate it to start with a clean comp with the default setup you created there, the problem True Comp does not look into the project or the comp’s folder for the existing comps with the same numbers to increment, so each time you duplicate from “Comp_00” you get “Comp_01”! Although it’s already exist .. this force me to duplicate the master comp many times from the beginning to make sure all duplicates are clean, and this slow down the project especially if this comps has a lot of expressions inside them and create many unnecessary assets, hope u can add a solution for this, thanks and best regards.
  • Hi , i have one question before i buy . 
    I am searching for a script or plugin , that allows me to quickly resize sub compositions . 

I make templates with my effects to use for different shows , so i replace the image / base footage with the new one for every show. 
    Sometimes i need to export all the files on a different format than the template , and then i need to open every comp > Composition settings > resize > ok > export to .. 

I am really looking for a better solution , that allows me maybe to select all my sub comps at once , give in the new dimensions for the comp & have my computer , compute the task. Can True Comp Duplicator help here ? 
  • Hi , i have one question before i buy . 
    I am searching for a script or plugin , that allows me to quickly resize sub compositions . 

I make templates with my effects to use for different shows , so i replace the image / base footage with the new one for every show. 
    Sometimes i need to export all the files on a different format than the template , and then i need to open every comp > Composition settings > resize > ok > export to .. 

I am really looking for a better solution , that allows me maybe to select all my sub comps at once , give in the new dimensions for the comp & have my computer , compute the task. Can True Comp Duplicator help here ? 
    We have a few options:  https://aescripts.com/auto-crop/ and https://aescripts.com/recursive-scale-comp/ , 
  • Hi will you be releasing an update for 2020? And if so is there a timeframe? Thanks
  • Just tested on AE 2020, and things are working as expected. Updated the compatibility page.
  • Would it be possible to add an option for Include items with matching regex besides the exclude? Sometimes I have to exclude 40 + comps and just leave 2 for duplication.
  • Hello and thanks a lot for the script. It worked once in AE 2020 then something must have gone wrong. I get this error.

Unable to execute script at line 211. After Effects error: could not convert Unicode characters.

Any idea? :)

Cheers

Leigh

Mac Pro Mid 2012
    MacOS Mojave 10.4.6
    Dual 3.46 6 core Xeon
    Radeon VII 16GB
  • Hello and thanks a lot for the script. It worked once in AE 2020 then something must have gone wrong. I get this error.

Unable to execute script at line 211. After Effects error: could not convert Unicode characters.

Any idea? :)

Cheers

Leigh
    Make sure your label names in the the AE prefs don't have any non-english characters, ie: change grün to grun
  • Hello,

your script is great and I use it often. I have the same Problem like Leigh Hatwell, I get the same error.
    In 2019 its working fine, but in 2020 not.

I checked my label names, and they are all in english.

Do you have any suggestions on how to fix it?
    Thank you very much!

Jenny
  • Hello,

your script is great and I use it often. I have the same Problem like Leigh Hatwell, I get the same error.
    In 2019 its working fine, but in 2020 not.

I checked my label names, and they are all in english.

Do you have any suggestions on how to fix it?
    Thank you very much!

Jenny

Please open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • Hey, just a specific note of gratitude and appreciation. This script is awesome and I using it often currently to help with a large project today creating multi-language versions. Have had this script for 7 years and I recommend it often... must have imo. Thank you. -Jon
  • Hi.

Thanks for the plug-in.
    I'm missing the "Duplicate selected" button.
    Am I doing something wrong?