Paint & Stick
  • Thanks Lloyd I also wanted to mention that when I installed the new version of paint and stick, which is great by the way, it wiped out all my scripts out the scripts ui folder. Just wanted to let you guys know. Thanks again for all your great work.

• Thanks Lloyd I also wanted to mention that when I installed the new version of paint and stick, which is great by the way, it wiped out all my scripts out the scripts ui folder. Just wanted to let you guys know. Thanks again for all your great work.

We tested the installer thoroughly and are not able to reproduce this and have not had any other reports of this. Are you sure you checked the correct ScriptUI Panels folder?  Perhaps you looked in a different version that did not have any scripts installed?
  • In my account in the downloads and licences section are two files available for Paint & Stick 1.52: Paint & Stick and Paint & Stick Starter Brushes. I have downloaded both zip files several times now. After unzipping, both files contain the starter brushes.
    Where do I get the Paint and Stick v1.52 script?
  • In my account in the downloads and licences section are two files available for Paint & Stick 1.52: Paint & Stick and Paint & Stick Starter Brushes. I have downloaded both zip files several times now. After unzipping, both files contain the starter brushes.
    Where do I get the Paint and Stick v1.52 script?
    We have corrected the issue, please redownload the main download which now includes the starter brushes
  • Yes, now everything is there. Thanks for the quick response!
  • The new update is great!  I'm running into just one problem.  When I select the paint bucket tool and then move over the composition window it crashes AE.  No dialog box or anything, it completely shuts AE down.  I can record a screen capture if you would like to see the problem in detail.  Thanks.

* The problem occurs on my laptop and desktop machine.

Windows 8.1
    AE 2015.3
  • The new update is great!  I'm running into just one problem.  When I select the paint bucket tool and then move over the composition window it crashes AE.  No dialog box or anything, it completely shuts AE down.  I can record a screen capture if you would like to see the problem in detail.  Thanks.

* The problem occurs on my laptop and desktop machine.

Windows 8.1
    AE 2015.3
    Hey Kevin!

As always, thanks for your help. I just tested and I can confirm the bug on my laptop. No need to screen capture.

This does not happen in After Effects 2015.2, I would recommend using that for the time being. I'm very sorry that bug snuck through, 2015.3 was released towards the end of our 1.5 beta, and somehow we just didn't find it. We'll get working on this immediately. I'm hoping we can have a hot fix sometime towards the end of next week, I'll ping my team right now.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hello!  I'm demoing your plugin and there are a couple things I haven't figured out yet.  Is it possible to change the properties of a stroke (its color, scattering, etc.) after it's been drawn?  And is there a way to isolate an area of a fill to then give it a different color (for example, painting in darker and brighter tints for shading effects)?
  • Hello!  I'm demoing your plugin and there are a couple things I haven't figured out yet.  Is it possible to change the properties of a stroke (its color, scattering, etc.) after it's been drawn?  And is there a way to isolate an area of a fill to then give it a different color (for example, painting in darker and brighter tints for shading effects)?
    Hi Danny,

You cannot change the properties of a stroke after it has been drawn, all of our strokes are raster, just like in Photoshop. At some point in the future, we may make them vector so you can change properties after a stroke has been drawn, but that will not be for quite a while.

For the fill, I would recommend creating the fill, then using the "Fill only" render mode, and then using the fill layer as a track matte for your gradient layer. This tutorial shows where the button is around 3:17 to set the render mode to "Fill only".

You could also use the fill as a matte for another instance of Paint & Stick, and use a large soft brush to shade on the lower instance.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hello! I really need the Paint product, and will buy if the tutorials are very comprehensive. Please let me know.
  • Hello! I really need the Paint product, and will buy if the tutorials are very comprehensive. Please let me know.
    We have a very comprehensive user guide filled with video tutorials.  If there's something that is still not clear or you have a question about please open a support ticket and we'll be happy to help.
  • Hello! I purchased the original version of Paint and Stick in May. The beta version was released and i was able to use it free. Now, how do i get the paid updated version of 1.5? The beta version is no longer working (i have the watermark grid) I don't need to purchase another license do i?

Let me know. Thanks

Douglas

I think i figured it out. Thanks
  • Hello! I purchased the original version of Paint and Stick in May. The beta version was released and i was able to use it free. Now, how do i get the paid updated version of 1.5? The beta version is no longer working (i have the watermark grid) I don't need to purchase another license do i?

Let me know. Thanks

Douglas

I think i figured it out. Thanks
    It's a free upgrade! You can find it in the 'My Downloads & Licenses' section of your user account.  
  • Hi,

Loving the Paint & Stick tool. Whilst trying to download the 1.5.3 update, it gets detected as a virus and won't install though.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks
  • Nick Hill said:
    Hi,

Loving the Paint & Stick tool. Whilst trying to download the 1.5.3 update, it gets detected as a virus and won't install though.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

This is a false positive from the latest definitions update from Microsoft which is apparently marking any JavaScript file as malware. We've already reported it but we urge you to report it to Microsoft as well so they will correct it.
  • I have tried all I can to get rid of the watermark.  I downloaded the free version to try it out, and I like what i made....so I bought the plugin.  but now i can not get rid of the damn watermark!  I am able to get one frame free of watermark from what you described on an earlier comment...but thats it.  if you could please describe in extreme detail how to fix this; I would surely appreciate it.  I bought the Paint & stick version.

• I have tried all I can to get rid of the watermark.  I downloaded the free version to try it out, and I like what i made....so I bought the plugin.  but now i can not get rid of the damn watermark!  I am able to get one frame free of watermark from what you described on an earlier comment...but thats it.  if you could please describe in extreme detail how to fix this; I would surely appreciate it.  I bought the Paint & stick version.

Have you entered your license as described here? https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/how-to-register-plugins/

If you still need help please open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • I'm having some issues getting paint and stick to render through Media Encoder. It is there when I do ram preview, but when I export it through media encoder it doesn't render. I have four videos that I used paint and stick on, and two of them rendered fine, and the other two didn't render out the paint and stick. 

The two that didn't render, when I opened up my file this morning, both wouldn't let me use any of the tools. I would click the layer, and click the paint brush tool, but nothing would happen. 

All of this is in the same file, just multiple comps. 

I ended up rendering it through render que and everything was fine. 

• I'm having some issues getting paint and stick to render through Media Encoder. It is there when I do ram preview, but when I export it through media encoder it doesn't render. I have four videos that I used paint and stick on, and two of them rendered fine, and the other two didn't render out the paint and stick. 

The two that didn't render, when I opened up my file this morning, both wouldn't let me use any of the tools. I would click the layer, and click the paint brush tool, but nothing would happen. 

All of this is in the same file, just multiple comps. 

I ended up rendering it through render que and everything was fine. 
    Hi David, sorry for the delayed response, somehow I missed this under a dozen other emails.

Currently we cannot render through Adobe Media Encoder. Sorry for the inconvenience.

If you have Paint & Stick Selected, but you can't see your brush, your After Effects UI is probably hidden. On Mac, you can press Command+Shift+H to hide/show the UI, and the Paint & Stick tools will also hide/show because they are created as part of the UI. On Windows, use Control+Shift+H. You may also notice in those comps, the Masks, and keyframes are not visible. Those are also part of the After Effects UI. Just use the hotkey, or right click on your viewer tab, press "view options" and enable "Layer Control" visibility.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Paint & Stick Product Manager
  • Just bought, downloaded and testing v1.5.3 (after effects 13.8.0.114). When i hold cmd and drag to change brush size i get the following error:

"Unable to execute script at line 1528. undefined is not an object."

And I'm unable to change the size of the brush.

UPDATE: After getting that error once, changing the brush size via the slider in the brush palette doesn't work (actual painted lines have the same thickness regardless of slider value). But if i reset Paint & Stick, and don't try to cmd+drag, and instead just use the slider, that does work as expected.
  • Just bought, downloaded and testing v1.5.3 (after effects 13.8.0.114). When i hold cmd and drag to change brush size i get the following error:

"Unable to execute script at line 1528. undefined is not an object."

And I'm unable to change the size of the brush.
    Please open the brush palette. The way the plugin works now, all the brush changes go through the palette script. You can open it with the "Brush Palette: Show/Hide" button.
    In the unlikely event that does not work, please re-start After Effects with that palette open.

If you have any further issues, please open a help ticket: https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1

Cheers,
    Chris
    open palette button.PNG
    665 x 727 - 53K
  • +1 to support Blender, that would be great. I can't make a sticky pass as you show with Maya.
  • You might want to increase the scale the text of the watermark with the comp. I'm working in a 5K comp and I couldn't read that the watermark CAN'T BE REMOVED BY LICENSING from the scale I was at. I looked for trial notes in the docs but I guess I misread it. If the same message would've been in the docs, where I could read it, I would've understood and not wasted a couple of hours of work. Maybe I can paint out the watermark since I'm basically just making a track matte.

Nope, can't paint it out...ugh.

Also, it seems sometimes that pressure doesn't work until you start the line. But that might just be my setup (iPad Pro + Pencil + Astropad).
  • Joe Clay said:
    You might want to increase the scale the text of the watermark with the comp. I'm working in a 5K comp and I couldn't read that the watermark CAN'T BE REMOVED BY LICENSING from the scale I was at. I looked for trial notes in the docs but I guess I misread it. If the same message would've been in the docs, where I could read it, I would've understood and not wasted a couple of hours of work. Maybe I can paint out the watermark since I'm basically just making a track matte.

Nope, can't paint it out...ugh.

Also, it seems sometimes that pressure doesn't work until you start the line. But that might just be my setup (iPad Pro + Pencil + Astropad).
    Sorry about that Joe, we've received that feedback a few times, and while this isn't the best answer, we're hoping by the next version we can make the watermarks reversible by licensing.
    We don't fully support Astropad yet, but I've forwarded that note to our developers. Sometimes it's difficult to say if or when notes will be addressed because the schedule and priority requires the agreement of the team, but I agree these are important notes.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hello,
    I wanted to see if it was possible to utilize the 'Stick' feature of the plugin with a path created by the plugin Rubberhose? I understand that you need to render out a Sticky Pass and a Sticky ID from 3D programs such as Cinema 4D and Maya for it to function properly. 

More or less I wanted to know if it's possible to utilize the 'Sticky' features on a 2D layer? I'd like to paint some shading on Rubberhose paths and then move the control points around and have the painting stretch and bend proportionally. Didn't know if this was possible.

Thanks,
    Patrick
  • Hello,
    I wanted to see if it was possible to utilize the 'Stick' feature of the plugin with a path created by the plugin Rubberhose? I understand that you need to render out a Sticky Pass and a Sticky ID from 3D programs such as Cinema 4D and Maya for it to function properly. 

More or less I wanted to know if it's possible to utilize the 'Sticky' features on a 2D layer? I'd like to paint some shading on Rubberhose paths and then move the control points around and have the painting stretch and bend proportionally. Didn't know if this was possible.

Thanks,
    Patrick
    Hi Patrick,

I looked into it, and the short answer is probably not.
    Paint & Stick doesn't work on shape layers. As a workaround, I tried to see if it would be possible to apply some type of coordinate system to the shape layer using gradients, then pre-compose it and use Paint & Stick over the top. I did not have any luck because the gradients do not stick to the rubber hoses either.

As for shading, I suppose you could try "Bevel Alpha" but of course that doesn't have the same flexibility you may be looking for. Sorry I don't have a solution, but I'll keep an eye out if one presents itself, I agree that would be pretty cool if it were possible.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hi guys,

This plugin is great!

One question though, Is there a shortcut/hotkey  to move forward by one frame -

1 & 2 works for ae paint - and left and right arrow works for photoshop motion? 

But I can't seem to find one for Paint and Stick? 

Thanks!

James

• Hi guys,

This plugin is great!

One question though, Is there a shortcut/hotkey  to move forward by one frame -

1 & 2 works for ae paint - and left and right arrow works for photoshop motion? 

But I can't seem to find one for Paint and Stick? 

Thanks!

James

There are different sets of hotkeys to move forward a single frame:

Page Up/Page Down go forward and backward on both Mac and Windows in After Effects.
    Command+left/Command+right on Mac only.
    Ctrl+left/Command+right on Windows only.

These can be customized the key of your liking in your After Effects preferences:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/modify-keyboard-shortcuts.html

If you want to move forward and backward by keyframes, not single frames, use J and K.

I personally just map Page Up and Page Down to my Wacom Tablet buttons.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Thanks for the response Chris,

I have been using it fine - then I registered my licence and now the tools in the comp now won't show up? and I can't paint? The icon doesn't change into a brush anymore?

My frames destination folder is set and I am sure everything is setup - as I have been using it fine earlier - now it doesn't work? and the tools won't display in the comp? 

But the effect panel is working fine? i.e. all parameters are there and everything seems ok in the effects panel - but I can't get the brush icon to appear or any action in the comp panel? 

Any idea what might be wrong? 

(sorry, I wouldn't post if I hadn't tried everything!)

Cheers

I am using ae 13.8.1.38
    and yosemite

• FYI - I tripple clicked in the comp panel and its now working. 

? weird? 

Thanks anyway, its a great plugin!!
  • Thanks for the response Chris,

I have been using it fine - then I registered my licence and now the tolls int he comp don't show up? and I can't paint? 

My frames destination folder is set and I am sure everything is setup - as I have been using it fine earlier - not it seems to not work? and the tools point display in the comp? But the effect panel is working fine? 

Any idea what might be wrong? 

Cheers

I am using ae 13.8.1.38
    and yosemite

This is a very common problem actually, on Mac, press Command+shift+H. This is a feature built into After Effects to toggle the UI visibility. It can be a useful hotkey to hide UI overlays when you just want to see your final frame. But of course when you hide the UI, now you can't see mask handles, keyframes, motion paths, and in this case, the Paint & Stick toolbox/brush, both of which are UI tools. So in other words, it's not quite a bug, it's a feature built into After Effects, however because we must work within the confines of the After Effects SDK, we have no way of overriding the visibility of our UI, and you have to use the hotkey.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Well this looks like a usefull addition to Ae so i bought the Paint plugin. Registered and installed again over the demo (as an admin) and thus got rid of the watermark. Until i pressed one of the stick tools. Then the watermark reappears and sticks. A bit too well. I can't get rid of it. I did purge all memory and cache of AEcc 2015.3. Saved, reopend, reset the frame location even said some angry words very loud to no avail. Any suggestions to get rid of the prison bars please?

Thanks
    Philip
  • Well this looks like a usefull addition to Ae so i bought the Paint plugin. Registered and installed again over the demo (as an admin) and thus got rid of the watermark. Until i pressed one of the stick tools. Then the watermark reappears and sticks. A bit too well. I can't get rid of it. I did purge all memory and cache of AEcc 2015.3. Saved, reopend, reset the frame location even said some angry words very loud to no avail. Any suggestions to get rid of the prison bars please?

Thanks
    Philip
    Have you tried to delete all Stick Data from the layer? Even if a Stick isn't showing up as visible, the data still registers as created after pressing the button. So please press the "Delete all Stick data" button, then paint a stroke to reset the watermark. I believe after you delete the stick data, the watermark won't disappear, but when you draw, it'll check to see if the Stick data is still there, and remove it.
    Also, if this issue persists, please submit a help ticket with Operating System and After Effects version information!

https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1

Cheers,
    Chris
    Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 11.42.05 AM.png
    902 x 1026 - 139K
  • Thank you Chris, this does indeed solve the problem. But it also creates another as pressing the delete stick data button also deletes any strokes on that frame. A greyed out non functional stick button would be better fot paint only users.

Philip
  • Hey guys, I'm having a lot of trouble when changing colors. I change the color in the Color Select box and try to paint, but the old color gets painted on. 

Otherwise, this is a killllllller app for frame by frame animation in AE. Thanks!
  • Also, I get this error message when I try to change my brush size: Unable to execute script at line 878. Object is invalid
  • Hey guys, I'm having a lot of trouble when changing colors. I change the color in the Color Select box and try to paint, but the old color gets painted on. 

Otherwise, this is a killllllller app for frame by frame animation in AE. Thanks!
    Thanks for your kind words. :D

Our prefs are written to disk, I believe color is one of them. Can you ensure that under Edit/Preferences/General, and ensure "Allow scripts to write files and Access Network" is checked on?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipnx22klr8q4q81/allowScriptsTo.PNG?dl=0

Normally we'd do the whole help ticket process, but we have the After Effects/Adobe Video World conference tomorrow, so we'll be tough to reach the next few days. Please take a look here and try these steps:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6y3wgbcrv2wlw7c/ScreenCaptureProject2_5.mp4?dl=0

As a last resort, please delete your preferences, then re-start After Effects.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgrdbxg7jpb3j7f/delete%20preferences.mov?dl=0

Also, if the problem persists, please submit a help ticket: https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1

Also, if anyone is going to the After Effects World conference tomorrow, drop by and say hi! If you miss the expo, just loudly scream "HEY I'M LOOKING FOR THE PAINT & STICK GUYS" and we'll likely appear.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Also, I get this error message when I try to change my brush size: Unable to execute script at line 878. Object is invalid
    Ah, that makes much more sense. Ok, I know what that error is, and my previous suggestions will not work. That means that communication to the palette is lost. You won't be able to change color, brush size, or any attributes until that error is resolved. Please try these two options:

1) Try opening the brush palette with the "Brush Palette Show/Hide" button.https://www.dropbox.com/s/1x5fp0eanv5b46e/1.PNG?dl=0 Then when the brush palette is open, save your After Effects project, then close and restart After Effects. This should eliminate this error after you've restarted.

2) If that does not work, you have to delete your preferences as listed above, that solution has never failed me. The only down side is, you have to delete your preferences. In the off chance it does fail for some reason:

3) Try to re-install Paint & Stick.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ym9wqzyun8ey9le/uninstall%20paint%20and%20stick.mov?dl=0

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Anyone else get weird dashes that you can't paint over? They're 1 or so pixel lines that are completely clear—full alpha to the BG. Can't fill them with fill effect or anything. Starting a new PNS layer fixes it, but if you copy the keys from the original, to the new layer, it does it again. I didn't have this issue the last time I used it. :/
  • Joe Clay said:
    Anyone else get weird dashes that you can't paint over? They're 1 or so pixel lines that are completely clear—full alpha to the BG. Can't fill them with fill effect or anything. Starting a new PNS layer fixes it, but if you copy the keys from the original, to the new layer, it does it again. I didn't have this issue the last time I used it. :/
    Please submit a help ticket if this persists: https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1

It would be great to have a screenshot of the bug, to know which OS you're on, which version of After Effects, and any other details that may be relevant. If you have a project file, that could also help us fix the issue.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Sent, hopefully it helps. The issue makes this unusable for track mattes, so I need to render things out and patch things and it adds a lot of complexity. Strangely, I used it on this version (well maybe it was just before the last AE update) with zero issues. Hopefully you can fix it. Thanks!
  • Thank you Chris, for being so responsive! For anyone else with this issue, it only seems to crop up when the cursor is small enough that it makes a crosshair. As long as you can undo the strokes, that is also seemingly letting you fix it. So if you experience this issue, don't draw too many too quickly until there's a fix. Still an excellent plugin worth the money!
  • I get this error:
    Unable to execute script at line 1236. Invalid image data.

Now I'can't see brush palette and change brush.
    What can i do? I tried to cancel preference and re-install paint & stick, but it doesn't work.
    Please help me!!! 
  • I get this error:

What can i do? I tried to cancel preference and re-install paint & stick, but it doesn't work.
    Please help me!!! 
    Sounds like a corrupted brush image file. Try moving all your brush images files out of the brush folder you selected then add them back in one at a time until you find the corrupted one. You can also try looking for a zero k file and remove that one.
  • I get this error:

Please help me!!! 

Can you please try to change your brush folder to an empty folder? This is to ensure there is not an error with any brushes. So in the bottom right of the palette, just go to "set Brush Folder" then choose an empty folder on your desktop. Then draw stroke in an empty composition to ensure Paint & Stick registers this change. Then save your project, and re-start After Effects. As for the error at line 53, whenever an object is undefined, that means the plugin has lost communication with the palette, and will not be able to find it until After Effects is re-started. So restarting is always going to be needed to fix that, and usually it never appears again.

Also, just to make sure, this is how to delete preferences:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgrdbxg7jpb3j7f/delete%20preferences.mov?dl=0 
    I don't necessarily know if it's related to the preferences, but that tends to fix a lot of issues so I always suggest trying it.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Love the functionality - but performance on a 2010 12 core mac pro is really slow with 128 GB ram.  I'm using cc2014 and simply doing a handwriting text reveal.  

It also makes the whole AE interface painfully slow - when I switch off P&S, I'm back to full responsiveness.

Looking at the activity monitor while running Paint and Stick, the cpu usage for AE is at 96% which can't be right can it?

Cheers,

Billy
  • Love the functionality - but performance on a 2010 12 core mac pro is really slow with 128 GB ram.  I'm using cc2014 and simply doing a handwriting text reveal.  

It also makes the whole AE interface painfully slow - when I switch off P&S, I'm back to full responsiveness.

Looking at the activity monitor while running Paint and Stick, the cpu usage for AE is at 96% which can't be right can it?

Cheers,

Billy
    In short, no that does not sound right, P&S should be a very light process. But if toggling P&S on and off clearly triggers it, then I think it's a fair assumption P&S is responsible. I assume you're using P&S 1.53, not an earlier version? Because P&S 1.0.1 and earlier had possible memory leaks on some computers, which would explain the slowdown you're getting. This was patched in 1.5. Also, is Ae2014 up to date? There are a few versions of After Effects that do not play nice with P&S, because we use features that were introduced into the After Effects API at a later date than the first release. I'm testing with the latest update of Ae2014 right now, and am having no speed or performance issues when drawing. 
    I'm very familiar with the reasons most users want to stay in Ae2014 vs 2015,(I held out about a year myself) but the latest release, Ae2015.3 fixes a ton of the issues. It doesn't crash, and the playback is fixed. As a quick solution, would it be possible to test in 2015.3 to see if you're getting the same behavior? I know that may not be the best solution, but both Ae projects should be compatible.

Also, if this persists after updating Ae 2014, or trying Ae 2015.3, please submit a help ticket with Operating system and hardware info, and we can try to find what's causing it.

https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1

Cheers,
    Chris
  • I actually just thought of one more thing- Please go to "edit/purge/al memory and disk cache." This could be partially responsible for some slow down, because After Effects has to work pretty hard to empty and replace the cache once it's full. It's probably not the cause of the issue you're seeing, but it couldn't hurt to see if it has any effect on it.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hi there!

How many licenses I got purchasing paint & stick?

thanks!
    liquid
  • Hi there!

How many licenses I got purchasing paint & stick?

thanks!
    liquid
    The license allows for the software to be installed on up to two computers as long as they are not being used at the same time. If you need to install it on more than two computers or use them at the same time you will need additional licenses.