• Aye ws gong to saye ths si a fantstac skriipt, butt it no workkk!

I installed the product and created a dummy comp with a couple of words... it saw the works and placed them in the dialog, clicked in the indivindual windows, but didn't spell check them.  What am I doing wrong?  Do I have to link to a browser??
  • Aye ws gong to saye ths si a fantstac skriipt, butt it no workkk!

I installed the product and created a dummy comp with a couple of words... it saw the works and placed them in the dialog, clicked in the indivindual windows, but didn't spell check them.  What am I doing wrong?  Do I have to link to a browser??
    Hi David, can you record what you're seeing on the screen and send it to me via a support ticket?
  • General Announcement
    Make sure you're running the latest version for Adobe After Effects (v2015.2)
  • First "After Ease", now this... You guys really do an amazing job scripting! I am already looking forward to you next releases:) However, there is a little spelling error in your Teaser-GIF. Or, to be more precise, you might have just chosen the wrong word in the german version. In German, you say "Hallo" not "Halo". I don't know how important this is to you, but since we are talking about a script to fix spelling errors... ;)
  • First "After Ease", now this... You guys really do an amazing job scripting! I am already looking forward to you next releases:) However, there is a little spelling error in your Teaser-GIF. Or, to be more precise, you might have just chosen the wrong word in the german version. In German, you say "Hallo" not "Halo". I don't know how important this is to you, but since we are talking about a script to fix spelling errors... ;)
    Haha. Thanks Roman. I'm a bit embarrassed by that but am glad you pointed it out.  I'll fix that soon.

• How can I choose which language it is checking? I have a german text and After Spell is underlining every word. It is only giving me englisch words to correct.
  • How can I choose which language it is checking? I have a german text and After Spell is underlining every word. It is only giving me englisch words to correct.
    Hi Christian, the language and the spell checker is based off of google chrome's spell check engine and is auto-detected.  As long as you have enough stuff that's clearly German it should be able to pick it up.  If you're not seeing this behavior can you send me a screenshot in a support ticket?
  • I am having and issue that seems to be caused by After Spell running.  I make text on 2 lines in a text layer and then go to hi-light  one of the lines to change the font size it will not do anything.  As soon as I closed the After Spell window it started working properly again?
  • I am having and issue that seems to be caused by After Spell running.  I make text on 2 lines in a text layer and then go to hi-light  one of the lines to change the font size it will not do anything.  As soon as I closed the After Spell window it started working properly again?
    Hi Matthew, I'm not quite following what you're saying.  Can you open a support ticket and send a screen capture of what you're seeing?
  • Rafi Khan said:
    I am having and issue that seems to be caused by After Spell running.  I make text on 2 lines in a text layer and then go to hi-light  one of the lines to change the font size it will not do anything.  As soon as I closed the After Spell window it started working properly again?
    Hi Matthew, I'm not quite following what you're saying.  Can you open a support ticket and send a screen capture of what you're seeing?
    Sure, I just submitted one with a bunch of screen captures to help show the issue.  Pretty much if you select individual characters with a cursor and not the entire text layer you cant make adjustments with the character window in AE.  It can only be used to adjust the entire character layer.  Like if you wanted to superscript a "$" for a price, you'd have to do that with After Spell closed, or superscript the entire text layer.

Thank you for your help!
  • Thanks for the great script.  I have run into one bug with it though.  Using the script will remove the formatting of the text.  These are the steps to reproduce it.

1. Create a new comp.
    2. Create a single text layer with two lines.
    3. Make one of the lines have bold text (or any other formatting option).
    4. Check the spelling with After Spell.
    5. Save the project.
    6. Close After Effects
    7. Open After Effects
    8. Re-Open the project file
    9. The formatting that was applied in step 3 is removed.

Please let me know if you need any other information regarding this issue.  Thanks.
  • Thanks for the great script.  I have run into one bug with it though.  Using the script will remove the formatting of the text.  These are the steps to reproduce it.

1. Create a new comp.
    2. Create a single text layer with two lines.
    3. Make one of the lines have bold text (or any other formatting option).
    4. Check the spelling with After Spell.
    5. Save the project.
    6. Close After Effects
    7. Open After Effects
    8. Re-Open the project file
    9. The formatting that was applied in step 3 is removed.

Please let me know if you need any other information regarding this issue.  Thanks.
    Hi Kevin, thank you for reporting this issue and the detailed repro steps. 

After spell was built in a way that assumed uniform formatting in a text layer.  I spent the past few days seeing if I could adapt the script to support this scenario and what I found is that the underlying spell check engine I used starts to go hay wire and won't offer up any spelling suggestions.  The formatting makes it unhappy and causes it to barf.

Without switching to a different (i.e. expensive) spell check engine and more complex architecture I can't fix this.

I'm sorry.

• Solved my own problem. 
    Do not use "ALL CAPS."
  • Mi Michael, your screenshot didn't come through.  Can you please open a support ticket with the screenshot or ideally a video?

Thanks!
  • Hi there !

I jst bought this script and I'm wondering if there is a way to select the language to check.

I'm writing in french but more often then not the script is "thinking" that I'm writing in english.

It would be great to have a way to force the script to check the spelling in a specific language.

Is there a way to achieve this ?

• Will this work if the source text changes on one layer with keyframes?
  • To all prospective users.  In addition to the formatting issues discussed below, I'd like you to know that when I use After Spell,  I am unable to highlight text and change it's color, font, size etc. When this first started happening I was pulling my hair out, but once I closed the After Spell panel, all the issues disappeared.  Buyer be warned. Great idea.  Too many critical issues to make it easier than copying and pasting your text into Word for confirmation of spelling errors.
  • It would be great to get an update to this plug-in that would solve the issues I discussed in my previous post. Again, great idea, poor implementation... at least for those of us on Mac with CC 2017.
  • It would be great to get an update to this plug-in that would solve the issues I discussed in my previous post. Again, great idea, poor implementation... at least for those of us on Mac with CC 2017.
    Hey David, thanks for taking the time to post your feedback.

When I built after spell i tried to make it handle formatting properly and ran into a lot of problems.  The internal structure of a text layer makes it very hard to intelligently guess how your copy is formatted when adding characters.  It's impossible if you add keyframes to the mix.  There's no mechanism or heuristic to reliably handle this.  If the tool tries to compensate for it, it will most likely mess up your layer in other weird ways which is why I didn't try.

I'm sorry the tool was creating so many frustrations for you.  This certainly wasn't my intent.  When building it against CC 2016 I wasn't seeing issues like this.  This might be a behavior specific to 2017.  If you could open a support ticket with a video of the issue you're seeing I might be able to see if there's something Ic an do.
  • Your tool works well with real time correction and suggestions.
    Thank you!

But, i have issue with language to use.
    Anyway to use only particular language dictionary ?

US and British spellings are different for some words, like maximise & maximize... 

Any workaround to use specific dict?

• The fact that the German word 'hallo' still isn't spelled correctly is kind of off putting lol
  • I have found that it does not spell check words in all caps. Is there a way to have it check all cap words also? I type a lot of things in caps.
    Thanks.
  • Is there a way to change which language to spell check? I written some things in spanish that are incorrect, but it keeps suggesting another word in english, or just ignoring it and leaving it alone as a correct word
  • is this script incompatible with AE 2021?
  • Will there be an update or a patch? This script no-longer works with Ae 2021 as of the July 21, 2021 update.
  • I'm interested, but it seems that it doesn't work on the latest version of AE.
  • Seems like this is still not working in AE 2023
  • After - After effects CC 2020 this script not Highlighting misspelled words anymore. Tried with custom script as well. It is also not working.
    What would be the problem. Below function not working.

<textarea id="textarea01" contenteditable="true" spellcheck="true">Helo</textarea>
  • This is an ok plugin. Confirmed to work with version of AE 23.2.1 (2023on my Mac running Ventura 13.1.
    That being said, I feel like there are still too many clicks needed to get to check the spelling. Not sure if this is meant to be this way or not, but after I type something, I have to make sure I'm in the type tool, clicked into the text I made, then click into the extension panel in order for it to detect it. Then, I have to click on the text within that panel in order for it to detect the misspelled words. 
    Kind of a pain, but it's obviously better than nothing. I would use this over the other popular AE spell checker script too.
    This extension still needs some love though.
  • Hi everyone, I'm sorry to report that this tool no longer works on Windows.  After Spell uses a spell checker buried deep inside of a 3rd party component inside of AE (The chromium embedded framework, CEF, for CEP if you're curious). The spell check engine was removed on Windows but still exists on MacOS.

This means After Spell will only work on MacOS or much older versions of AE (not guaranteed). I'm sorry :(