• Hi, we have a big problem with Plexus 3 on both Windows and Mac computers using AE 2015.2 and AE 2015.3
    When we apply the noise effector some weird ghost lines start appearing in front of the camera.
    It's very unpredictable and hard to avoid, making the plugin useless.
    Did anyone had a similar problem and found a solution?
    Please have a look at the attached image.
    Tnx,
    Alex

Turn on Unified Rendering
  • Hi, i'm new to Plexus, so maybe i'm missing something essential here, but i encountered problems with thin lines (like 0,1 scale – both with lines and beams renderer) and Dof switched on. The lines are jittering pretty strong and get crispy. I think i tried all possible camera/plexus settings. I'm on OS X 10.11.6 and have a NVIDIA GTX 680 (OpenGL 4.2).

Then another thing: What means „3D Splines Finally! Now you can create 3D Splines and stroke them with ease natively with in After Effects. Not only that, you can replicate them in 3D space.“ on the Plexus 3 product page. Will there be a documentation about this workflow? Couldn't guess within the interface what this means. Is this referring to the older Lights Layer Object workflow?
    Thanks in advance!

• Hi, i'm new to Plexus, so maybe i'm missing something essential here, but i encountered problems with thin lines (like 0,1 scale – both with lines and beams renderer) and Dof switched on. The lines are jittering pretty strong and get crispy. I think i tried all possible camera/plexus settings. I'm on OS X 10.11.6 and have a NVIDIA GTX 680 (OpenGL 4.2).

Then another thing: What means „3D Splines Finally! Now you can create 3D Splines and stroke them with ease natively with in After Effects. Not only that, you can replicate them in 3D space.“ on the Plexus 3 product page. Will there be a documentation about this workflow? Couldn't guess within the interface what this means. Is this referring to the older Lights Layer Object workflow?
    Thanks in advance!

Thin Lines - If you are rendering sub-pixel thickness lines with DoF, it is recommended to crank up the Render Quality as high as you can. (somewhere high like 6x-8x). If you're still getting aliasing, send me the project file directly and I'll look into it.
    Splines - The workflow for 3D splines is unchanged from v2. Refer the tutorial here https://vimeo.com/49138404
  • Hi - I have multiple projects that use Plexus 2. If I upgrade to 3, will those old projects still work the same way? Thanks!
  • Hi - I have multiple projects that use Plexus 2. If I upgrade to 3, will those old projects still work the same way? Thanks!
    Yes, Plexus 2 projects are automatically upgraded to Plexus 3. You can test all your projects prior to purchase using the trial version and if you notice any discrepancies let us know.
  • Hi, I'm opening a project that I started with Plexus 2, now when I open it, with the new Plexus 3 Installed, I receive an alert "After Effects warning: A plugin is attempting to do an invalid operation: modifying a locked project ( 1 :: 0 )"

Plexus 3 it's installed and registered.

Please help me with this problem
  • Hi, I'm opening a project that I started with Plexus 2, now when I open it, with the new Plexus 3 Installed, I receive an alert "After Effects warning: A plugin is attempting to do an invalid operation: modifying a locked project ( 1 :: 0 )"

Plexus 3 it's installed and registered.

Please help me with this problem
    Can you send us the project?
  • Just upgraded to P3.  Some nice new improvements.  

One issue I found right away is that it does not seem to process time expressions correctly in transforms.  Eg, "time * -45" and "time * 45" will yield only a positive rotation in whatever axis you have the expression on.  So if I want things moving in opposing directions in my system it doesn't seem to work.  Perhaps I'm doing something wrong or perhaps this is a bug.  I've tried this at both the OBJECT level and using the TRANSFORM effector. Both yield the same results.  Please advise.  Thanks!

Tobias
  • Plexus 3 crashes when i turn on Unfied Rendering. is there a solution?
  • Ran Levi said:
    Plexus 3 crashes when i turn on Unfied Rendering. is there a solution?
    I'm assuming you're using Windows. If so, update your graphics drivers (directly from Nvidia or ATI).
  • Just upgraded to P3.  Some nice new improvements.  

One issue I found right away is that it does not seem to process time expressions correctly in transforms.  Eg, "time * -45" and "time * 45" will yield only a positive rotation in whatever axis you have the expression on.  So if I want things moving in opposing directions in my system it doesn't seem to work.  Perhaps I'm doing something wrong or perhaps this is a bug.  I've tried this at both the OBJECT level and using the TRANSFORM effector. Both yield the same results.  Please advise.  Thanks!

Tobias
    Can you send us the project?
  • Rowbyte said:
    Just upgraded to P3.  Some nice new improvements.  

Tobias
    Can you send us the project?
    Please accept my apologies.  This is not a bug at all but rather merely an optical illusion.  I've attached the file just for fun sake.  The blue sphere is in fact rotating to the right while the larger red sphere is rotating to the left.  Even if you place a noise effector to add variation to one of the spheres (they are in two groups) the illusion will still occur.  Watch closely and in time they will flip direction.  

Since this is technically not a bug I won't bother wasting server space at Rowbyte with this.  The file can be grabbed from the link below.

Dropbox file link:  http://goo.gl/0O8jRO
  • I'm sure you've answered this before but I'm getting a headache scouring through all the irrelevant results I'm getting from searching.  The issue is simple.  I wish to parent a plexus object (XY and Z) to a 3D light with keyframes on it.  I've tried a couple of expressions that I thought should work but AE is not happy with them when it comes to the plexus XY position linking up to XY transforms of the light due to improper labeling.  I know it's an attribute naming issue within the Plexus effect and I just don't know what the proper names are for Plexus X And Y.  Please help.

I'll need to do this with multiple Plexus objects in a comp all linking to the same light movement.  Thanks in advance.
  • I'm sure you've answered this before but I'm getting a headache scouring through all the irrelevant results I'm getting from searching.  The issue is simple.  I wish to parent a plexus object (XY and Z) to a 3D light with keyframes on it.  I've tried a couple of expressions that I thought should work but AE is not happy with them when it comes to the plexus XY position linking up to XY transforms of the light due to improper labeling.  I know it's an attribute naming issue within the Plexus effect and I just don't know what the proper names are for Plexus X And Y.  Please help.

I'll need to do this with multiple Plexus objects in a comp all linking to the same light movement.  Thanks in advance.
    To anyone reading this that may have struggled with the same issue.  The answer is below.

To connect a Plexus object's X&Y position to a keyframed AE light (as a driver of movement) place an  expression similar to the one below on the Plexus object's "OBJ XY Location field.  

The name of the object should match in the beginning of the expression, eg Plexus OBJ Object, Plexus Object 2, Plexus Object 3, etc.  

The number (6) that follows in the example below is unique to my composition used in testing.  To get the proper Plexus prefix you should alt-click the stopwatch of the Plexus object of interest to get the reported name as a starting point. EG, you may end up with something like "effect("Plexus Primitives Object")(18)" as a result after creating a cube primitive. Just keep that in mind.

effect("Plexus OBJ Object")(6).x=thisComp.layer("Plexus Light").transform.xPosition;
    effect("Plexus OBJ Object")(6).y=thisComp.layer("Plexus Light").transform.yPosition;
    [x,y]

The Z position of your Plexus object can simply be connected straight through to the driver's Z position.

The latter technique may be used on a Plexus "Transform" effector assigned to groups if you wish to split out multiple Plexus geometry to multiple light (drivers) layers.  You could do this with Nulls as well but at the moment that won't work if you're importing a Cinema 4D scene in which you have nulls as placeholders for animation movement.  You'll need to bake that to C4D lights which are then able to be read by AE wherein the above workflow will get you animation of your Plexus objects that fits correctly in your scene.  Especially if you have animated cameras.

I hope someone out there finds this helpful and that I've saved you valuable headache time. ;)

• Hi I'm new in Plexus , I'm exploring plexus function at this moment. I saw a video in internet 
     That's really awsome. He seems use XSI ICE to working on that. 
    Is that possible to make such effect in After effect Plexus?  One object morph into another object?

• Loving the new version, getting some really nice looks out of it! Is there any way to get the Points Renderer to mimic the opacity based on distance behaviour, when using "Draw connected points"? My lines fade up nicely as vertices get closer together, but points "pop" on the moment they are connected. I imagine this gets a bit complicated as vertices can have multiple connections, but it would be a great thing to have - if it's not there already?
  • Loving the new version, getting some really nice looks out of it! Is there any way to get the Points Renderer to mimic the opacity based on distance behaviour, when using "Draw connected points"? My lines fade up nicely as vertices get closer together, but points "pop" on the moment they are connected. I imagine this gets a bit complicated as vertices can have multiple connections, but it would be a great thing to have - if it's not there already?
    Hi Matthew,
    That's a great idea. Unfortunately, it's not possible in the current version but will add it to the feature requests. Thanks.
  • Rowbyte said:
    Loving the new version, getting some really nice looks out of it! Is there any way to get the Points Renderer to mimic the opacity based on distance behaviour, when using "Draw connected points"? My lines fade up nicely as vertices get closer together, but points "pop" on the moment they are connected. I imagine this gets a bit complicated as vertices can have multiple connections, but it would be a great thing to have - if it's not there already?
    Hi Matthew,
    That's a great idea. Unfortunately, it's not possible in the current version but will add it to the feature requests. Thanks.
    Thanks guys!
  • Hey Guys, I'm currently in a dilemna I'm hoping you can help put at ease. I am still currently running under Plexus 2 with AE 2015 with every intent of upgrading both Plexus 3 and to AE 2017. What worries me is my current AE files and what negative effects and issues I might encounter after doing the updates. I really don't want to lose the work I've created, and even though I've already taken necessary precautions (rendering my animations), I'd still like to keep my AE files in tact without risk of damaging the work I've done when I open them in AE 2017 under Plexus 3.

Is there any steps or recommendations I should take before doing the updates?

FYI, I'm using MacOS Sierra.

Thanks for the help!
  • Hi, I have the same problem here (HPZ800/nvidia quadro4000/w7_64/AE_CC2014-17):

"Joshua Oluwagbemiga July 30Hi, I'm running plexus on a windows 10 PC and After Effects crashes when enabling the unified rendering option... Any fix or is it my Graphics Card which is Intel HD 4000? "

Josh
  • Hi, I have the same problem here (HPZ800/nvidia quadro4000/w7_64/AE_CC2014-17):

"Joshua Oluwagbemiga July 30Hi, I'm running plexus on a windows 10 PC and After Effects crashes when enabling the unified rendering option... Any fix or is it my Graphics Card which is Intel HD 4000? "

Josh
    Hi Josh,
    Please update your graphics drivers. This happens when your drivers are not up to date.
  • Hey Guys, I'm currently in a dilemna I'm hoping you can help put at ease. I am still currently running under Plexus 2 with AE 2015 with every intent of upgrading both Plexus 3 and to AE 2017. What worries me is my current AE files and what negative effects and issues I might encounter after doing the updates. I really don't want to lose the work I've created, and even though I've already taken necessary precautions (rendering my animations), I'd still like to keep my AE files in tact without risk of damaging the work I've done when I open them in AE 2017 under Plexus 3.

Is there any steps or recommendations I should take before doing the updates?

FYI, I'm using MacOS Sierra.

Thanks for the help!
    There shouldn't be any issues upgrading Plexus 2 projects to Plexus 3, but we suggest creating a backup of all those project files before you open them with Plexus 3. If you face any issues, please let us know (along with a project file if possible) and we'll help you right away.
  • Would love to see OpenSubdiv Bilinear implemented so I can non-destructively subdivide OBJs to get a denser point cloud.
  • Would love to see OpenSubdiv Bilinear implemented so I can non-destructively subdivide OBJs to get a denser point cloud.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Will add it to the feature requests.
  • I'm having a problem rendering Plexus 3 in AE2014. I created my composition and effects in CC2015.3. Nothing complex, but a modulating sphere driven by noise. When I open the script in AE2014, nothing animates. All the effects properties are there for plexus3, but they don't do anything. Moving sliders produces no results.

Is this a bug or am I not supposed to go from 2015 to 2014? (I use 2014 to render multi-process). Cheers
  • Nick Guth said:
    I'm having a problem rendering Plexus 3 in AE2014. I created my composition and effects in CC2015.3. Nothing complex, but a modulating sphere driven by noise. When I open the script in AE2014, nothing animates. All the effects properties are there for plexus3, but they don't do anything. Moving sliders produces no results.

Is this a bug or am I not supposed to go from 2015 to 2014? (I use 2014 to render multi-process). Cheers
    Hi Nick,
    This might be related to cache-invalidation. Try clearing the cache (disk cache too) and restart your computer once. If you're still facing issues, open a support ticket with a project file and we'll look into it.
  • Hello, 

I am using Plexus to, hopefully, create "plexus points" on a solid in After Effects containing single point masks. 

"Add Geometry : Paths" does not produce and "plexus points" though... Does Plexus allow you to use single point masks for this? I can get it to work correctly with two or more points on a mask.

I found a work around but it would be cool if single point masks worked, or more likely, I am doing something incorrectly.

Thanks!
  • Hello, 

I am using Plexus to, hopefully, create "plexus points" on a solid in After Effects containing single point masks. 

"Add Geometry : Paths" does not produce and "plexus points" though... Does Plexus allow you to use single point masks for this? I can get it to work correctly with two or more points on a mask.

I found a work around but it would be cool if single point masks worked, or more likely, I am doing something incorrectly.

Thanks!
    Hi Greg,
    For 'single point masks' to work properly, you need to turn off 'Subdivide Masks' option in Plexus Path Object. See Attached.
    path-subdivide.png
    590 x 206 - 43K
  • Hello,

Is there any way to cull the lines to stay tight on the surface of an obj?

My problem is there is connecting lines between appendages on a 3d model that I would rather not show up. The lines going between legs, fingers and armpit area specifically.

http://imgur.com/OSVaPjS

Thank you,
  • Hi,
    Running Plexus 3.0.14
    After Effects CC2017
    OS10.10.5
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB
    32MB RAM

I'm having a difficult time with OBJ importing. I have followed the tutorial to the letter and I just get nothing. I have cranked the scale up to nearly 100,000% , adjusted opacity to 100%, centred the object. Tried with many different models. It's just not happening. Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious?

• Hi,
    Running Plexus 3.0.14
    After Effects CC2017
    OS10.10.5
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB
    32MB RAM

I'm having a difficult time with OBJ importing. I have followed the tutorial to the letter and I just get nothing. I have cranked the scale up to nearly 100,000% , adjusted opacity to 100%, centred the object. Tried with many different models. It's just not happening. Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious?

Can you send us the obj file?
  • Sure,

After creating a couple myself  without success, I used a known working .obj file from another plugin's library (VC's Element) and still with same result. Here's a file I created (cobra.obj and VC's bulb.obj).
    zip
    zip
    Archive 2.zip
  • Sure,

After creating a couple myself  without success, I used a known working .obj file from another plugin's library (VC's Element) and still with same result. Here's a file I created (cobra.obj and VC's bulb.obj).
    I had no issues importing the two files. Look at the attached project file. The 'bulb' obj didn't need any scaling, but the Cobra one required a bit of scaling. But, they both rendered fine. Let me know if you have further issues.
    zip
    zip
    bulb_cobra_proj.zip
  • Thanks Rowbyte,

As usual imported it again and it all work beautifully. Thanks again
  • Plexus make AEcrash.
    Having a obj in the scene... not that much vertex.

I'm running AE CC 2017 (14.1)
    on windows 10 on 64 bit
    32 go RAM
    Latess nvidia drivers.
    Latess version of plexus installed also.

The same scene work just fine on my old mac 2012.

Do you have any clues or solution?

• Plexus make AEcrash.

on windows 10 on 64 bit
    32 go RAM
    Latess nvidia drivers.

Can you attach the obj file? We'll look into it.
  • same thing here: just made the switch to windows and having an issue with AE CC 2017 crashing:
    "After Effects error: crash occurred while invoking effect plug-in "Plexus OBJ Object""
    Plexus 3 works fine but when adding Geometry > OBJ things start to get "complicated":
    importing a simple subdivided cube and placing it into the time-line and selecting it as the OBJ-layer ... AE crashes with the above message!
    weird is that everything works well inside AE CS6 on my windows-machine!?!
    BIG thanks in advance for having a look into this!!!
  • same thing here: just made the switch to windows and having an issue with AE CC 2017 crashing:
    "After Effects error: crash occurred while invoking effect plug-in "Plexus OBJ Object""
    Plexus 3 works fine but when adding Geometry > OBJ things start to get "complicated":
    importing a simple subdivided cube and placing it into the time-line and selecting it as the OBJ-layer ... AE crashes with the above message!

Please open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • Plexus make AEcrash.

on windows 10 on 64 bit
    32 go RAM
    Latess nvidia drivers.

same thing here: just made the switch to windows and having an issue with AE CC 2017 crashing:
    Please install v3.1.0 which should fix these issues with OBJ files in some Windows installations of CC 2017.1
  • Rowbyte said:
    Plexus make AEcrash.

on windows 10 on 64 bit
    32 go RAM
    Latess nvidia drivers.

same thing here: just made the switch to windows and having an issue with AE CC 2017 crashing:
    Please install v3.1.0 which should fix these issues with OBJ files in some Windows installations of CC 2017.1
    HOURAAAWWW.
    It worked solid... Love it.
    Thanx
  • Hi.

Having a weird issues with OBJs I was hoping you could help me with.
    If I import an OBJ model (of a simple earth) its works really well but if I animate the same model in C4D (Just spinning and scaling) then export the OBJ sequence I get a strange collection of points in the centre of the geometry, exactly where the centre axis will be in Cinema.

Wondering it anyones come across this or has a fix?

• Hi.

Having a weird issues with OBJs I was hoping you could help me with.
    If I import an OBJ model (of a simple earth) its works really well but if I animate the same model in C4D (Just spinning and scaling) then export the OBJ sequence I get a strange collection of points in the centre of the geometry, exactly where the centre axis will be in Cinema.

Wondering it anyones come across this or has a fix?

You probably have some 'hidden' objects in the scene. If you're using Plexus OBJ Sequence Exporter for C4D, it'll export all the geometry in the scene and doesn't honor the objects' visibility settings in the C4D object panel.

• Hi, 
    I'm looking for a way to export an after effect composition with only animated text in SVG. I would like to have an example of export of svg sequence of plexus 3 to see if it is my case. You have some examples to proceed with purchasing the plug-in today

• Hi, 
    I'm looking for a way to export an after effect composition with only animated text in SVG. I would like to have an example of export of svg sequence of plexus 3 to see if it is my case. You have some examples to proceed with purchasing the plug-in today

Plexus only exports 'Plexus' compositions into SVG sequences. It doesn't export native text directly. But, you can apply a Plexus to the text file and also a facet object and export that into an SVG sequence, which probably will give you the expected result.
  • I export a sequence of Cinema obj`s and when I open it in AE there is nothing, export the total sequence 150 frames and when you open them you have nothing. Why is this happening? Thank you. I´m using: Plexus obj sequence exporter for c4d.
  • in Plexus 3, the Instances Object seems to be lacking Replication Depth, Axis, Direction, Rotations. etc.etc.. Is there a workaround?
  • in Plexus 3, the Instances Object seems to be lacking Replication Depth, Axis, Direction, Rotations. etc.etc.. Is there a workaround?
    Plexus 3 Instances object does have Replication , Rotations etc., You just have to turn on "Re-align to center".
  • Hello everybody,
    I have a strange issue. I can't see my keyframes which I set in plexus.
    If I set them in the "effect control panel" they affect the animation but
    if I hit twice "u" on the keyboard or collapse the layer I can't see them.

Any solutions around there?
    Many thanks in advance

Plexus 3, After Effects CC17
  • Hello everybody,
    I have a strange issue. I can't see my keyframes which I set in plexus.
    If I set them in the "effect control panel" they affect the animation but
    if I hit twice "u" on the keyboard or collapse the layer I can't see them.

Any solutions around there?
    Many thanks in advance

Plexus 3, After Effects CC17
    Select the "Layer" in the Plexus Object Panel and then hit the keyboard shortcut. See the attached file for reference.
    panel.jpg
    240 x 506 - 23K
  • Hi, I just updated to AFX 2018 and Plexus 3 wont install as it does not include a 2018 option.
    I need to start a new project, when will this be updated?

Thank you