Screen Saver Exporter
  • So I cant make a PC screen saver from a MAC?
    Not at this time, I will look into adding that into the next update.
    Not at this time, I will look into adding that into the next update.
    I looked into it. Looks like I could add support for that. Expect an update around the end of the week. Thank you for your patience.
  • just bought this expecting to be able to output Windows screensavers from my Mac (none of my clients have macs!). Would be really great to get this asap... I have  current job needed next week that would be perfect for it.

By the way, when I tested with a mac screensaver, it only worked for about 5 seconds of the movie than it jumped back to the start? The movie is about 30 seconds long. Any ideas why this might have happened?

Just tried again - definitely not exporting the whole movie, either from After Effects or Premiere or Encoder...

Thanks

• Roger Harris said: just bought this expecting to be able to output Windows screensavers from my Mac (none of my clients have macs!). Would be really great to get this asap... I have  current job needed next week that would be perfect for it.
    By the way, when I tested with a mac screensaver, it only worked for about 5 seconds of the movie than it jumped back to the start? The movie is about 30 seconds long. Any ideas why this might have happened?
    Just tried again - definitely not exporting the whole movie, either from After Effects or Premiere or Encoder...
    Thanks
    Still working on mac to windows. Open a support ticket and we'll get that error figured out. Support ticket available here:
      https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1&product_id=921
  • Update on the mac to windows. Just implemented it. Now it's in the testing phase. Should have it ready by later tonight, or early tomorrow.
  • Version 1.1 is live! You can now make PC screen savers from a mac!
  • Is it possible to make a single file .scr?
  • Thanks Michael. All working now.. I figured out the export fail issue was due to me not selecting the 'audio' export checkbox, even though there's no audio. Seems it must be checked to work.

Windows from mac works great too! Many thanks
  • About to buy this, but I have a question: I'm going to be making screensavers on a Mac, but for PCs. What is the process for distributing the screensavers to PCs? What is the file type to put on a USB drive and bring to each PC? Thanks
  • About to buy this, but I have a question: I'm going to be making screensavers on a Mac, but for PCs. What is the process for distributing the screensavers to PCs? What is the file type to put on a USB drive and bring to each PC? Thanks
    When you export to windows screensaver, the plugin exports a windows installer file (*.msi) file. Just copy that file onto a USB drive or host it in the cloud. On the PC end you only need to double click the .msi file to install.
  • Thanks Michael. All working now.. I figured out the export fail issue was due to me not selecting the 'audio' export checkbox, even though there's no audio. Seems it must be checked to work.

Windows from mac works great too! Many thanks
    Glad you got it working! I will look into that bug and create a bugfix for the next version.
  • Is it possible to make a single file .scr?
    The windows screen savers are exported as .msi files which install the .scr file, and all it's dependencies, for you. It can't be exported as a single file .scr because the .scr depends on other files. If you tried just copying the .scr to another computer, you'll find it doesn't work.
  • If I were to create a seamless loop, would these loop automatically on both Mac & PC?
  • If I were to create a seamless loop, would these loop automatically on both Mac & PC?
    Yes, they would loop automatically on both Mac & PC.
  • Is anyone else having an issue on Mac where the computer no longer turns off the display when using the screensaver?
  • Is anyone else having an issue on Mac where the computer no longer turns off the display when using the screensaver?
    I will look into this. At the moment, I don't have any leads as to what could be causing this, so this may take a while.
  • Feel free to contact me if you want me to help you troubleshoot. I probably know a lot less about this than you do, but I do know that computers tend to not go to screensaver/sleep mode when it detects a video is playing. 
  • Feel free to contact me if you want me to help you troubleshoot. I probably know a lot less about this than you do, but I do know that computers tend to not go to screensaver/sleep mode when it detects a video is playing. 
    Thanks for the offer, but I found the problem! It turns out that the open source library that I use to play audio was disabling the sleep! So I just changed a couple lines of code and now it works. Expect a new version on the site later today.
  • Wow, that was fast. Thanks!
  • Hi there.

So I've read through these comments and I see the installer makes an scr file and supporting files.

What are these files so I can deliver to my client raw?

I KNOW right!?  Stupid request, but my client wasn't keen on the msi file because "we can't roll out an installer."  I'm quite happy to install the created screensaver onto my machine and then pull these files and deliver as a zip file...

Corporates...
  • Hi there.

So I've read through these comments and I see the installer makes an scr file and supporting files.

What are these files so I can deliver to my client raw?

I KNOW right!?  Stupid request, but my client wasn't keen on the msi file because "we can't roll out an installer."  I'm quite happy to install the created screensaver onto my machine and then pull these files and deliver as a zip file...

Corporates...
    It is not as simple as copying some files. The instructions are quite long, so I sent them via private message.
  • Hi There,

I've just had the exact same request from a client. They want a .scr file as an installer is not allowed. Could you please send me the instructions also.

Many thanks
    Roger

• Hi There,

I've just had the exact same request from a client. They want a .scr file as an installer is not allowed. Could you please send me the instructions also.

Many thanks
    Roger

Available here: https://aescripts.com/forums/profile/19634/Charl Joubert
    By the way, work is being done on a direct .scr export. But it really changes how the code is structured, so I don't have an estimated time of completion yet.
  • Hi There,

Many thanks
    Roger

By the way, work is being done on a direct .scr export. But it really changes how the code is structured, so I don't have an estimated time of completion yet.
    Things have been going very well with the .scr export. It's almost finished. Expect an update either tonight or tomorrow. 
  • Hi There,

Many thanks
    Roger

Things have been going very well with the .scr export. It's almost finished. Expect an update either tonight or tomorrow. 
    It's up!
  • Whoop! Great stuff Michael. Thanks

• HELP

when ever i export a .scr file from mac it creates a screensaver  in a "window" in windows...what am I doing wrong?

• HELP

when ever i export a .scr file from mac it creates a screensaver  in a "window" in windows...what am I doing wrong?

You could try selecting "stretch" mode under the scr settings. If that doesn't fix it, then it may be a bug. If it is a bug, I can fix it during the week, around Wednesday or Thursday.

• HELP

You could try selecting "stretch" mode under the scr settings. If that doesn't fix it, then it may be a bug. If it is a bug, I can fix it during the week, around Wednesday or Thursday.
    Thanks for your quick response. I tried stretch mode and it still has the same result
  • It is Wednesday, and I have found the bug. I will upload the newest version as soon as possible.
  • It's up. Version 1.7 fixes the bug.
  • It's up. Version 1.7 fixes the bug.
    Thanks !!!!
  • Hey I'm having problems with exporting the screen saver. 

My own machine i'm using to export the screen saver installs fine, but only with the Zip. The dmg file comes up with errors saying missing file(s)?

If I put the zip on another Mac I just an error messaging saying it's missing a secret file??

Is there something I'm missing on the export options in Media Encoder? 

Cheers!
  • Hey I'm having problems with exporting the screen saver. 

My own machine i'm using to export the screen saver installs fine, but only with the Zip. The dmg file comes up with errors saying missing file(s)?

If I put the zip on another Mac I just an error messaging saying it's missing a secret file??

Is there something I'm missing on the export options in Media Encoder? 

Cheers!
    Open a support ticket here: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=921
    and we'll get your problem sorted out.
  • I've bought this plugin because it gives me the best results so far, but I have a blocking issue. When I double click the screensaver file I get a dialog, and when I press OK the file crashes. The screensaver gets configured fine if right click > install.

My client needs a .scr file to use for import in a windows theme. Is it possible to export the .scr so that the default (double-click) action becomes Install?
  • I've bought this plugin because it gives me the best results so far, but I have a blocking issue. When I double click the screensaver file I get a dialog, and when I press OK the file crashes. The screensaver gets configured fine if right click > install.

My client needs a .scr file to use for import in a windows theme. Is it possible to export the .scr so that the default (double-click) action becomes Install?
    First of all, if you install the newest version of the plugin from aescripts.com, version 1.10 and above will no longer display a dialog and crash when you double click on them (instead it will launch a test of the screen saver, which is what is supposed to happen). 

Secondly, I am sorry to say that I cannot change the default behavior of the douuble click action. How Windows handles .scr files is determined by Microsoft, and unfortunately I can't change that.

I don't know much about windows themes, but I took a look at the specification here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb773190(v=vs.85).aspx#boot
    , and the exported screen saver should work fine with a windows theme. All you would have to do is right click the .scr file, select install, then change the .theme file to point to the installed .scr. (You could do that manually, or with some program. Maybe you can do it from Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization ?). Then you could include the .scr file in your themepack ( I don't know how to do this, but that is what it says to do in the link above).
  • I've bought this plugin because it gives me the best results so far, but I have a blocking issue. When I double click the screensaver file I get a dialog, and when I press OK the file crashes. The screensaver gets configured fine if right click > install....
    First of all, if you install the newest version of the plugin from aescripts.com, version 1.10 and above will no longer display a dialog and crash when you double click on them (instead it will launch a test of the screen saver, which is what is supposed to happen)....

Hi, just letting know that installing the latest version resolved the issue for me. Screensaver is on its way to the client. Thanks for the fast response, I highly recommend this plugin to everybody!

• Hi!
    The exported .msi file installs fine, but the .scr files are just black when installed. I tried renaming the extension to .sCr, but same result. Any idea why?
  • Hi!
    The exported .msi file installs fine, but the .scr files are just black when installed. I tried renaming the extension to .sCr, but same result. Any idea why?
    I see you opened up a support ticket. I will contact you from within the support system.
  • Hi Michael,

Thanks for developing a handy tool. We're having a few issues, the msi version works fine but both the .scr (64 bit and 32 bit) come up as black when manually installed. As mentioned below the client is after an .scr file not a direct installer so we have to make this work. Any ideas?

All the best

Stuart

• Hi Michael,

Thanks for developing a handy tool. We're having a few issues, the msi version works fine but both the .scr (64 bit and 32 bit) come up as black when manually installed. As mentioned below the client is after an .scr file not a direct installer so we have to make this work. Any ideas?

All the best

Stuart

As I mentioned in the support ticket, the problem has been found and a new version that fixes this issue will be uploaded to aescripts within the next couple of days.
  • Hi!
    I see you opened up a support ticket. I will contact you from within the support system.
    This issue will be fixed in version 1.11
  • Hey everyone,

Recently, some customers are having problems with plugin registration. Until I release a patch that fixes this problem, I recommend that all users use the aescripts manager app to license the plugin https://aescripts.com/learn/aescripts-aeplugins-manager-app/

Cheers, 
    Michael
  • Call me stupid, but I can't figure out how to even export it as an msi. I downloaded the plugin yesterday so theoretically I have the newest version. And I can export it as a mac .app but when I open the zip on a pc, I can't figure out how I'm supposed to install it.
  • Call me stupid, but I can't figure out how to even export it as an msi. I downloaded the plugin yesterday so theoretically I have the newest version. And I can export it as a mac .app but when I open the zip on a pc, I can't figure out how I'm supposed to install it.
    1. Go to export settings 
    2. Go to the windows tab (the order is usually, Effects, Video, Audio, macOS, windows)
    3. Under Basic Installer Settings, click the checkbox called Output windows screen saver (.msi)
    4. Export the screen saver

After the screen saver has exported, in your output directory you will see the .msi file. Copy this file to a pc, and double click it. Follow the directions to install.

Cheers, 
    Michael
  • Nevermind, I figured it out. ;P
    Call me stupid, but I can't figure out how to even export it as an msi. I downloaded the plugin yesterday so theoretically I have the newest version. And I can export it as a mac .app but when I open the zip on a pc, I can't figure out how I'm supposed to install it.

• Is it possible to reverse engineer these files to extract the original video file? 
  • Is it possible to reverse engineer these files to extract the original video file? 
    While it is certainly possible to reverse engineer anything, it would not be easy for to extract the original video file. The video is stored in a custom format that can't be played in any video player, so someone trying to steal your video would have to program their own video player or video converter. If you are worried about security, it would be much easier for someone to just record their screen (even HDMI copy protection is easy to break) rather than reverse engineer the files. 

• Hi,

I'm testing the trial version. It worked fine, but there's something that doesn't fit my needs. I need the screensaver to fit in squares screens, panoramic screens and two square screens. My solution is to work in the larger res and keep the content centered so the sides will be cropped if needed. The problem is that none of the "stretch" "fit" or "crop" modes work like that, stretch and crop deform the video file, and the fit mode just scales the video so I have black bars.

Is there a way to make the screensaver crop the width?

Thanks.