Awkward Pause
  • Now compatible with CC latest version.
  • Fixed  - there was a bug that prevented this from working properly in languages other than English... so that is fixed now. Apologies about that.
  • Alan, I'm looking for a program that does almost exactly what you have wrote here. I want the automatic splitting of a long video based on silence durations, but I don't want the software to put the clip back together into one long one. Basically I have someone reading a very long word list in a long filming and need to break all the words into separate clips.
    Can I accomplish that with this software? Can I get close to that worth this software? Thank you!
    Drew
  • Hi Drew... yes you can.

Use the trial and test it out. It should be able to split/dice up the video leaving only the remaining clips...  you can use soften to fade in and out audio from the start of the clips. You could also de-select precomp layers, so each clips is visible...

You then render out each bit...
    Ctrl atl B = trim work area to selected clip...  and render going through each one.
    If you would like to automate it at that stage...
    https://aescripts.com/rd-render-layers/   = render each layer separately.

So if you have a video as you describe, using both you should have 10 min of work before AE is rendering out all the clips.

Advice - make a small comp as a test in separate project - and test for the right settings before doing a long render... and watch the video tutorial, again.

thanks!

• Alan,

Brilliant!

Here's a little more description in case you have any other software for sale that would help or other recommendations regarding this.  I'm not a video pro, but have done some very basic shooting and editing from a sushi YouTube channel my wife and I made.  

The 3,000+ long vocabulary list is a monster.  Each word will be repeated twice, and then have 3 example sentences.

From the teleprompter I'll be reading the list with (hopefully) very little stopping and starting of the camera, for example:

<whack of two blocks for audio spike> " a, a. (natural pause)  I have a baseball bat. (natural pause) There is a girl in the park. (natural pause) I want to buy a computer. (natural pause)" <whack of two blocks for audio spike>

And so on for 3,000 words.

The video cuts I would want to have come out of this example are:

The whole line:
    1.) a, a  I have a baseball bat. There is a girl in the park. I want to buy a computer.

And then each subsection of the line:
    2.) a,a
    3.) I have a baseball bat.
    4.) There is a girl in the park
    5.) I want to buy a computer.

As you can see the 5 cuts x 3,000 words alone is A TON of manual editing work I'm looking to avoid.

The goal is to keep the video shooting continuous and then automate all the trimming and cutting of the files, and icing on the cake would be a way to easily rename them and systematically export them.  Currently the naming system is in an Excel file I could easily convert to CSV.

I was thinking I could smack 2 blocks of wood together (or something more elegant?) to get audio spikes between words during video recording.  Then do one automated pass of the video with some kind of automated plug in that would recognize the spikes and make automated trim and cuts around the spikes to remove them and get my longer cuts - i.e. " a, a  I have a baseball bat. There is a girl in the park. I want to buy a computer."  Then, on another automated pass, to trim and split the video at all the pauses between sentences to get the shorter cuts.

I can't tell with your recommendation if this is possible.  I can tell that splitting into the smaller subsections where there is silence is possible, but I'm not sure if the inverse of only selecting spikes is possible...

I'm looking for any break I can get on the editing end for sure.

Also, as stated above, if you have recommendations on other plug-ins that would automate more of this, or have a better idea how to tackle this I'm all ears.  I'm not an editing pro and you pointing me in the right direction on how to use your tool is very much appreciated.

Thank you!
    Drew
  • Hey there... well Awkward Pause works on the basis of detecting silences.... so the threshold would cut out parts where there is silence for longer than a value you choose... so the idea would be that between the speakie sections you just go quiet for like 5 sec and it would then detect those parts and cut them out.

You seem to want a few things at the same time... so not sure.
    Have a poke around on the site... there are some other wonderful scripts.... I think it's a bit of using scripts mixed with some manual work.

There is also Magnum, which detects edit changes in video, so if you could use something to cover camera lens? with someone else.. however, then it will cut at every point.. and you will manually have to move clips etc.

There are scripts to import data from text files and spreadsheets too...

So it's a case of research and combining the best of a few scripts I think... worth having a poke around site, there are so many I am not aware of too that might be the missing link.

Tks
    A

• Actually the easiest way it seems to me to do this is giving the actor a remote control for the camera... and let them record the individual files. Then it's only a renaming of files issue/perhaps a format conversion.
  • Hi

Wonderful plugin. I was just wondering if it is possible to have a feature to only cut the pauses at the start & end of a clip and leave any pauses in the middle?

Thanks
  • Hi

Wonderful plugin. I was just wondering if it is possible to have a feature to only cut the pauses at the start & end of a clip and leave any pauses in the middle?

Thanks
    Hi Byron, yes that is something that could be added... in the meantime you can set the work area to say the start first... and just operate on that part. If you hit LL on the keyboard it will reveal the audio wave file... and you can see roughly where it starts.
  • I just wanted to comment that this tool has cut my editing time by at least 80%!

Using Premiere, I am tasked with removing all of the pauses from teaching videos my church records for a global audience. We record in English, and for almost every spoken sentence, the speaker stops and the camera rolls to allow a translator to narrate...then the English continues, pauses, continues, etc. The camera continues to roll. It's 25-30 minutes of lesson, yet the total video length is essentially doubled including the pauses. Literally, the # of pauses can run into the hundreds.  For international, yet English-speaking audiences, the pauses were too much to sit through and meant people lost their focus on the material being presented.. 

To manually remove the pauses from each recorded class session, it took me approximately 60 minutes...and we have 168 class sessions. It was easy work, but extremely tedious...UNTIL NOW. 

With Awkward Pause, I'm able to remove all the pauses in a session in less than 10 minutes!

It truly was an answer to prayer, as it does EVERYTHING I wanted a tool to do!

Thanks!

• I just wanted to comment that this tool has cut my editing time by at least 80%!

Using Premiere, I am tasked with removing all of the pauses from teaching videos my church records for a global audience. We record in English, and for almost every spoken sentence, the speaker stops and the camera rolls to allow a translator to narrate...then the English continues, pauses, continues, etc. The camera continues to roll. It's 25-30 minutes of lesson, yet the total video length is essentially doubled including the pauses. Literally, the # of pauses can run into the hundreds.  For international, yet English-speaking audiences, the pauses were too much to sit through and meant people lost their focus on the material being presented.. 

To manually remove the pauses from each recorded class session, it took me approximately 60 minutes...and we have 168 class sessions. It was easy work, but extremely tedious...UNTIL NOW. 

With Awkward Pause, I'm able to remove all the pauses in a session in less than 10 minutes!

It truly was an answer to prayer, as it does EVERYTHING I wanted a tool to do!

Thanks!

Hi Chris- Yaay - it's a tool designed and inspired by Magnum - so it's very specific but a life-saver. I had envisioned it for vloggers- youtube creators - to just chat away and leave gaps - to sort of auto-edit. Guess you have no work to do now, might as well go for a beer!
  • what if the audio and video are from diferent files? is there a workaround or i shuld just render then together before process?
  • what if the audio and video are from diferent files? is there a workaround or i shuld just render then together before process?

Hey there... Super easy... Just align both layers in a comp and precomp... Then use Awkward Pause on the new precomp layer...no pre rendering

• Hello, this is exactly what I'm looking for, please make it for final cut pro or tell me an equivalent tool, I will pay really well.

Thanks
  • Is version for 2018 going to come out!!?? I already bought the license but it does not work with 2018 version. : (
  • Is version for 2018 going to come out!!?? I already bought the license but it does not work with 2018 version. : (
    Hey there will check it out today re 2018, didn't realise there was an issue.
    Hey there will check it out today re 2018, didn't realise there was an issue.
    Hey there, no issues in 2018 working fine... Thanks.
  • possible to use this script to *shorten* silences (to say a max of 1.5 seconds) rather than fully delete them? thanks!
  • possible to use this script to *shorten* silences (to say a max of 1.5 seconds) rather than fully delete them? thanks!
    Hi Justin, 
    Think you can... there is a slider for minimum Silence... so that could be set to like 35 frames, then it would ignore all silences, shorter than that. 

So that would get you half way there, you could then run it again incrementally remember, with different settings on different sections... to get exactly what you want. 

• Hi Alan,

thanks for replying.

I don't quite follow your suggestion. I might not have explained my issue very well. I will try giving a bit more detail.

Basically I'd like to leave *some* pause as an indication there was a pause in places where a long pause occurred. But I want those pauses capped at like 1.5 seconds or so.

If i set the minimum silence threshold high, one result is that i'll have pauses that were shorter in the original be longer in the new file. Like if I set the min threshold at 1.5 sec, then it'll leave 1 second pauses (fine) but get rid of 2 second pauses completely (not fine). so the (originally) 2 second pauses will be shorter than the 1 second pauses after the removal (uhoh!). This isn't the behavior I want. 

Thanks for your time!
  • Hi, I just got your scripts and its great, except for some reason it mutes some of my clips. Its weird. I'll set up a precomp with 3 clips, and put the audio right under each clip. I'll run through everything, and import back into premiere and when I open it up, 90% of the clips are perfect and then the tail end of the last clip's audio just won't work. It will cut it just fine and I can actually see the audio wave below, but no sound comes out. If i open up the precomp it plays just fine. Any idea what that could be? 

Its weird, sometimes when I import it into Premiere its cut up but there is just silence... The comp plays just fine though in premiere. I have no clue whats going on. 

Thanks in advance!
  • Hi, I just got your scripts and its great, except for some reason it mutes some of my clips. Its weird. I'll set up a precomp with 3 clips, and put the audio right under each clip. I'll run through everything, and import back into premiere and when I open it up, 90% of the clips are perfect and then the tail end of the last clip's audio just won't work. It will cut it just fine and I can actually see the audio wave below, but no sound comes out. If i open up the precomp it plays just fine. Any idea what that could be? 

Its weird, sometimes when I import it into Premiere its cut up but there is just silence... The comp plays just fine though in premiere. I have no clue whats going on. 

Thanks in advance!
    Hey there, If you can raise a ticket in the help system, -sending project- or a simplified version via wetransfer, and or video of what the problem is, it might be easier to spot what the problem is.... Thanks!
  • Hello, When I run your script I get the following error on Mac:

“44432508852110280” is not optimized for your Mac and needs to be updated.

Do you plan on updating to a 64 bit compliance so this plugin continues to work on Mac OS?

thanks,
  • Rob Bock said:
    Hello, When I run your script I get the following error on Mac:

“44432508852110280” is not optimized for your Mac and needs to be updated.

Do you plan on updating to a 64 bit compliance so this plugin continues to work on Mac OS?

thanks,
    Hi there can you raise a ticket ? I don't think this is to do with the script...  we can sort it out there... thanks.
  • Hi Alan!
    Did you end development and support this product, it finished and can't be bought? Or you will do something new similar?