Cloners + Effectors
  • Looks great. Reminds me of C4D, which I use a lot. Unfortunately, I experienced multiple AE warning messages: Stack overrun - Expression disabled. I have submitted a support ticket with more info.
  • Looks great. Reminds me of C4D, which I use a lot. Unfortunately, I experienced multiple AE warning messages: Stack overrun - Expression disabled. I have submitted a support ticket with more info.
    Thank you for submitting bug. I will investigate.
  • Can you animate any keyframes? If you have plug-ins on the layers etc?

• Can you animate any keyframes? If you have plug-ins on the layers etc?

You can animate any numeric or color property. This also goes for all filters added to the layer. For obvious reasons I havn't testet it with all plugins out there, but it should work. If not, then please let me know. You can download a trial and watch this video, it will explain in details.

• hey crunchy,

is there any chance on having something like a cinema4d delay effector? or did I just miss it?

nicely done anyways!
  • hey crunchy,

is there any chance on having something like a cinema4d delay effector? or did I just miss it?

nicely done anyways!
    Hi Michael
    It's something I would love to do. But as for right now it isn't possible. Setting the curve to elastic, can create some what the same effect. But of course not the same as having a delay effector.
    - Jakob Wagner
  • Man! This awesome AND really affordable. I was dreaming of something like c4d's cloner in AE, Thank you!
  • Man! This awesome AND really affordable. I was dreaming of something like c4d's cloner in AE, Thank you!
    Thank you for kind words, I'm glad you like it!
  • Hey this is an amazing script thank you. I am having problems with pixelation on scaled effector. Even when I click auto raster and set everything nested to 3d I do not get a clean vector? Any ideas?

Thanks
    James
  • Hey this is an amazing script thank you. I am having problems with pixelation on scaled effector. Even when I click auto raster and set everything nested to 3d I do not get a clean vector? Any ideas?

Thanks
    James
    Hi James
    This shouldn't be caused by the cloners system. What does it look like if you just scale the layer manually? Is resolution for the viewer set to full? Is Adaptive Resolution set to on? I find it buggy some times. Try setting it to off. Is zoom set to 100%? Will this help you? https://forums.adobe.com/thread/886049
    If not then please open a support ticket and I will look into it. Maybe attach your project, or just that part of it. https://aescripts.com/contact/
  • Hello,
    Thanks for this amazing plugin, it works really great !

Jut to say : with linear falloff, the effector scale should be linked to the size falloff. Like that we could manipulate its influence directly in the viewport. Same goes with rotation parameter.
    It can be done in after effect but I think those connections should be by default.

Thanks
    JR
  • Other thing, clones are taking a lot of RAM. I think that's why we can't have lot of them (like 1000). As a Mograph C4D user I think there must be an instance option like particules. Which could allow to diplay tons of it.
    MOGRAPH's the best ;)

• Other thing, clones are taking a lot of RAM. I think that's why we can't have lot of them (like 1000). As a Mograph C4D user I think there must be an instance option like particules. Which could allow to diplay tons of it.
    MOGRAPH's the best ;)
    Thank you for the comments. :) The system is using AE's layers and render engine. So instances are not en option at this time. But I will keep your requests in mind for the next version.
  • Hi,

Having major problems with the cluster function of the cloner.  It's throwing all shapes to the upper left of the comp (outside of the bounds of the frame).  It does not retain their position when I select cluster from the dropdown.

Grateful for your help.

UPDATE - - - - - 

I had parented layers causing the position to go astray.  Glad I got it sorted.

Billy

• Hi,

Having major problems with the cluster function of the cloner.  It's throwing all shapes to the upper left of the comp (outside of the bounds of the frame).  It does not retain their position when I select cluster from the dropdown.

Grateful for your help.

UPDATE - - - - - 

I had parented layers causing the position to go astray.  Glad I got it sorted.

Billy

Hi Billy

Happy you got it sortet. And yes, as it works now, the layers have to be unparented and the cloner will be their new parent. Let me know if you need help with anything else.

- Jakob Wagner
  • Hi 

Just purchased and installed the newest version of your product (v1.03) and successfully entered activation code but the interface is only giving me limited options. 2 cloner type options (linear and radial) and 3 effector choices (plain, step and random). These are the same options I had when using your demo download from last week.

Please help.

Thanks

Joe carty
  • Joe Carty said:
    Hi 

Just purchased and installed the newest version of your product (v1.03) and successfully entered activation code but the interface is only giving me limited options. 2 cloner type options (linear and radial) and 3 effector choices (plain, step and random). These are the same options I had when using your demo download from last week.

Please help.

Thanks

Joe carty
    Hi Joe

UPDATE! : I have uploaded a new version which might solve the issue. But it's a shot in the dark. If it still doesn't work, please proceed as described below.

That sounds really wierd. There is nothing in the code which should be able to limit those options. The trial is only limited in that it can only make 20 clones, and then the 7 day limit.

Could you please open a support ticket for this one, so we can get to the buttom of this. Please include your system details and the exact version of AE you are using.

https://aescripts.com/contact/

Thanks,
    Jakob Wagner

• Hi there, thanks for this great script, have been wanting something like this for AE, being a big user of MoGraph in C4D. One question - is there a simple way to duplicate a cloner system? I have unshied all the properties and duplicated everything but the properties still link to the previous cloner, is there a way around this? Thanks.
  • Hi there, thanks for this great script, have been wanting something like this for AE, being a big user of MoGraph in C4D. One question - is there a simple way to duplicate a cloner system? I have unshied all the properties and duplicated everything but the properties still link to the previous cloner, is there a way around this? Thanks.
    Hi Gavin
    At this point there is no duplicate feature, but it is already on the list of things I want to add in the future.
    Generally, I like to have the cloner system in it's own composition. Makes everything easier to handle. You could toggle the shy button off, as you already did. Select all layers created by the cloner system and precompose them. Then duplicate the composition in the project window. Note that, because of the way random works in AE you are going to get a different random result if using something like the random effector.

- Jakob Wagner
  • Is it possible to work with rasterized footage?  Or is it limited to vector/shape objects?
  • Hello!
    I just purchased this script. I loaded the files into my script UI folder but when i try to use the script, i get an error message 292. Help!
    Thanks!
  • Is it possible to work with rasterized footage?  Or is it limited to vector/shape objects?
    Yes you can. Images, footage, compositions and others.
  • Hello!
    I just purchased this script. I loaded the files into my script UI folder but when i try to use the script, i get an error message 292. Help!
    Thanks!
    Hi Sharon
    Did you remeber to go to preferences>General and switch on "Allow scripts to write files access network"?
    If you did then please open a support ticket: https://aescripts.com/contact/
    And include the full error message. Did you get the error as soon as you open the panel or when you click add cloner? Did you get to the point where you had to type in the licence number?

Thanks,
    Jakob
  • This looks great, trying it out. Is there any documentation besides videos? Thanks!
  • This looks great, trying it out. Is there any documentation besides videos? Thanks!
    Hi Declan

No. As for now the videos are the documentation. You can see the full playlist here, divided into subjects.

Thanks,
    Jakob Wagner
  • Crunchy said:
    Hi Declan

No. As for now the videos are the documentation. You can see the full playlist here, divided into subjects.

Thanks,
    Jakob Wagner
    Thanks for the prompt response. Awesome plug in, very impressed with all you've thought to include; especially like customizable curves in the Step Effector!
  • Hi guys !
    I am having real troubles getting the "custom property" to work. I am doing exactly the same steps as your "Working with custom properties" video, however i keep getting this prompt :
    "Error: After Effects error: Unable to call “property” because of parameter 1. Value 2 out of range 1 to 1."
    And it does that in AE 2014, 2015 and 2017. I am on MacOS X 10.10

EDIT : after troubleshooting a bit more I realised that apparently you need to create the trim path property on the shape layer before you link it to the cloner. Is there a way to update the shape properties after creating the cloner ?
  • Hi guys !
    I am having real troubles getting the "custom property" to work. I am doing exactly the same steps as your "Working with custom properties" video, however i keep getting this prompt :
    "Error: After Effects error: Unable to call “property” because of parameter 1. Value 2 out of range 1 to 1."
    And it does that in AE 2014, 2015 and 2017. I am on MacOS X 10.10

EDIT : after troubleshooting a bit more I realised that apparently you need to create the trim path property on the shape layer before you link it to the cloner. Is there a way to update the shape properties after creating the cloner ?
    Hi Mathieu
    Please open a support ticket and if possible include your project file. https://aescripts.com/contact/
    Does this happen every time you do this? It looks like it's a conflict that can happen if you have multiple layers that doesn't all have the same property order. Or if you somehow changed the property order.

Thanks,
    Jakob Wagner
  • Hey can i use track matt with the cloner without having to precompose ? 
  • Hey can i use track matt with the cloner without having to precompose ? 
    Hi Rasnus
    Great question! But no you can't since all clones are their own layer. However, if you add a Set Matte to your clone before you clone it. Or add Set Matte to your original layer and click Use Selected Layers. Then it might give you what you're looking for.
    This might be a good subject for a future turorial. Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks,
    Jakob Wagner
  • Great script! I've wanted this for a long time. Is it possible add custom properties for animating on cluster type cloners? If so which object do you add the property to ahead of clicking "add property" ? Not having any luck on that part. Any help on this would be appreciated.
  • Bo Dodge said:
    Great script! I've wanted this for a long time. Is it possible add custom properties for animating on cluster type cloners? If so which object do you add the property to ahead of clicking "add property" ? Not having any luck on that part. Any help on this would be appreciated.
    Hi Bo
    Absolutely. You have to click/mark the property on one of the original layers. Then click add property. It has to be a property which is position the same place in the structure you see when you unfold the layer, on all layers you add. You can see more about it here:
    Let me know if it's still not working for you.
  • I got it working, but only if I have the effect applied to all of the layers first. I was under the impression "add property" would duplicate the effect to my other cluster layers. That part seems to work on regular cloners that way, but on cluster cloners best to have the property already existing.
  • Wow, this is awesome! This is something I've been dreaming of for years! This might be the thing that keeps me from having to buy Particular next week. I need to animate rows of sprouting flowers and Particular doesn't have enough grid-timing controls. 

Only question, though: any idea how many clones it can generate before it starts chugging? It didn't seem too slow with at the 20 clone preview limit, but I'm going to be doing grids of around 75 smallish clones. I know that probably depends on clone size along with the expression load your script puts on layers.
  • Wow, this is awesome! This is something I've been dreaming of for years! This might be the thing that keeps me from having to buy Particular next week. I need to animate rows of sprouting flowers and Particular doesn't have enough grid-timing controls. 

Only question, though: any idea how many clones it can generate before it starts chugging? It didn't seem too slow with at the 20 clone preview limit, but I'm going to be doing grids of around 75 smallish clones. I know that probably depends on clone size along with the expression load your script puts on layers.
    Hi Jim

The performance depends on how many clones, how many properties you are animating and how many effectors you are using. Of course also which computer you have.
    70 clones will be pushing the system to the limit, but if you have a moderne computer and a little patience, it should be doable. Still quicker than manual keying, which is SO last month.

Thanks,
    Jakob Wagner
  • Thanks for this great plugin! I've only been using it for a week and its already saved me hours...

Quick question -
    Is there any way of pre-comping the cloners and animated effectors? It currently unlinks everything but I was wondering if there's anything I can do to fix it easily?
  • Thanks for this great plugin! I've only been using it for a week and its already saved me hours...

Quick question -
    Is there any way of pre-comping the cloners and animated effectors? It currently unlinks everything but I was wondering if there's anything I can do to fix it easily?
    Hi Hugo

Happy you like it and that it's saving you time.
    Before precompose you have to unshy the layers and make sure you select all layers generated by the clonersystem. That should work.
    One thing you have to be aware of though, is random. If you use random, you are going to get a different random result when precomposing.
  • small bug;
    drop down menu for the cloners only show 'linear' and 'radial' on a 4K screen (Windows 10)

• small bug;
    drop down menu for the cloners only show 'linear' and 'radial' on a 4K screen (Windows 10)

Thank you very much for the info! This might explain the problem another user had. This must be a bug in AE. I'll find a way of testing this as soon as possible. Works fine on OSX/retina display.
  • I am the other user who was having the same issue with limited drop-down menu options. And yes, I am also using 4K monitors.
    I'm eager to hear what you find out.
  • Joe Carty said:
    I am the other user who was having the same issue with limited drop-down menu options. And yes, I am also using 4K monitors.
    So that's what it was! :) I am trying to get in contact with adobe. Might take a while, but I'll keep both of you posted.
  • Crunchy said:
    Joe Carty said:
    I am the other user who was having the same issue with limited drop-down menu options. And yes, I am also using 4K monitors.
    So that's what it was! :) I am trying to get in contact with adobe. Might take a while, but I'll keep both of you posted.
    You might want to check your scaling settings...you can tell windows to scale the UI for hi dpi monitors. That might be the issue.

• Thanks Orrin. I tried changing the view scaling options, as well as lowering the monitor resolution settings, still no luck.

I'm curious to hear if Menno van Dijk was able to get this method to work on his 4k.

• Joe Carty said:
    Thanks Orrin. I tried changing the view scaling options, as well as lowering the monitor resolution settings, still no luck.

I'm curious to hear if Menno van Dijk was able to get this method to work on his 4k.

I get the pulldown working by running AfterEffects with the Manifest solution.. 
  • Hey,

Really impressed that all this is done with scripting & expressions.
    Hopefully this could be converted to a proper plugin that would be both faster and handle memory better.

Anyways, while waiting for that ;-) I do wish for a small feature to be able to randomise the clones layer order.
    I gather that you can un-shy the layers and move the layers around without disturbing the the cloner system.
    But it would be nice if there's a button for that (or add a function that could use effectors to set the layer orders).
    You have the random layer order function in the Shape and Text scripts

Thanks,
    Tobias
  • Hey,

Really impressed that all this is done with scripting & expressions.
    Hopefully this could be converted to a proper plugin that would be both faster and handle memory better.

Anyways, while waiting for that ;-) I do wish for a small feature to be able to randomise the clones layer order.
    I gather that you can un-shy the layers and move the layers around without disturbing the the cloner system.
    But it would be nice if there's a button for that (or add a function that could use effectors to set the layer orders).
    You have the random layer order function in the Shape and Text scripts

Thanks,
    Tobias
    Hi Tobias

Thanks. I'm looking into the possibilities of better performance, but I'm still not sure it will be possible for others than Adobe.
    Thank you for the request. It's not a bad idea. I'll put it on the wish list.

- Jakob Wagner
  • Also, even if you un-shy the layers and move them around yourself and then do something to the original object(s) and then use the "Use selected layers" to update the cloners - it re-arranges all layers back so a function to keep the layer order would be useful as well.

/ tobias
  • Hi There!
    Great Plugin, Thanks for your hard work.
    Quick question... I'd like to ease the keyframing I've done to the radius property of a radial cloner, but it doesn't seem to have any effect when I try to. Is there any way this is possible?
    _dave
  • Hi There!
    Great Plugin, Thanks for your hard work.
    Quick question... I'd like to ease the keyframing I've done to the radius property of a radial cloner, but it doesn't seem to have any effect when I try to. Is there any way this is possible?
    _dave
    Hi David

That should work with out any difference from keyframing/easing anythin else in AE. How do you apply the ease?

- Jakob
  • My apologies, 
    I forgot to respond that it was just a strange old restart the computer and everything's fine problem.
    A little bit of Tech support 101.
    Thanks for the reply, sorry for the time wasting... but overall, THANKS for the plugin..great stuff!