BG Renderer Pro
  • Hi all,

It looks like the issue with aerender giving the 'aerender has crashed' message may be due to the new Nvidia drivers, specifically v368.39 released June 7th. Before upgrading, I was on v364.72 and BGRenderer was working. Since updating, I was getting the aerender crash. Rolling back to v364.72 resolved the issue.

Looks like Nvidia has done something to the drivers that aerender doesn't like.

(Tested on 2 systems, both running Windows 10, one system with GTX 660, the other with a GTX 970)
  • I was having the same problem as Alex with Nvidia drivers v368.22. I rolled back to 365.19 and it works fine now.
  • Getting error in AE 2015.3, please advise

aerender ERROR: the script commandLineRenderer.jsx was not properly loaded.

• Getting error in AE 2015.3, please advise

aerender ERROR: the script commandLineRenderer.jsx was not properly loaded.

Might be an issue with your AE install but double check with Adobe as this is an aerender issue and has nothing to do with BG Renderer,
  • Hi Aescripts,

Is it possible to add in the new BG Render the option to start a number of BG Renders you can adjust.
    Like when I have 120 Comps in my Que to render them in 6 BG Renders.
    Now I have to wait when one starts then do the other and that times 6, otherwise they crash.

Would be sooooooo nice!

• Hi Aescripts,

Is it possible to add in the new BG Render the option to start a number of BG Renders you can adjust.
    Like when I have 120 Comps in my Que to render them in 6 BG Renders.
    Now I have to wait when one starts then do the other and that times 6, otherwise they crash.

Would be sooooooo nice!

Not really sure what you mean but you should simply have them all set to "skip existing frames" and render them all in the same queue with as many BG Renderer instances as your system can handle.  This is the intended workflow, please watch the video tutorial in case this doesn't make sense.

• hello for two days reinstall my computer and render sale failed does not render work after effects cs6 I have 2 years working perfectly and now not working need help
  • Hi,

is it possible to stop the BG Renderer and use the half rendered file?

Thanks! :)
  • hello for two days reinstall my computer and render sale failed does not render work after effects cs6 I have 2 years working perfectly and now not working need help
    Please open a support ticket
  • Hi,

is it possible to stop the BG Renderer and use the half rendered file?

Thanks! :)
    Not easily, you will need to quit the "aerender" process in your activity monitor but there is no guarantee the render will be usable unless you are using image sequences so please test this first before using it in production.

Btw, make sure you quit and not stop for force quit the process for your best chance at a usable render file.
  • Hello
    My bgrenderer stops rendering at a random point on the timeline. It seems to ignore the in and out point of the work area and stop rendering randomly. Doesn't give any errors. Just says have a nice day and still sends me an email. 
    please help!
  • Joon Lee said:
    Hello
    My bgrenderer stops rendering at a random point on the timeline. It seems to ignore the in and out point of the work area and stop rendering randomly. Doesn't give any errors. Just says have a nice day and still sends me an email. 
    please help!
    You might have a corrupted element or plugin in your timeline, however, this is an issue with aerender so please contact Adobe for assistance.
  • Joon Lee said:
    Hello
    please help!
    You might have a corrupted element or plugin in your timeline, however, this is an issue with aerender so please contact Adobe for assistance.
    Hi, 
    I tried manual render with terminal command and it works just fine. 
    Should I re-download the bgrenderer?

• Joon Lee said:
    Joon Lee said:
    Hello
    please help!
    Hi, 
    I tried manual render with terminal command and it works just fine. 
    Should I re-download the bgrenderer?

If the render starts then BG Renderer is working fine. It simply launches aerender, if the render stops unexpectedly then the issue is with your project or aerender.
  • Just bought BG Render Pro and not having much luck.  So far it's taking 4 times longer to render a comp than regular rendering in AE (file still hasn't finished).  That's with Render Priority set to High, all other applications closed, multiprocessing turned on and the default memory settings.  I'm on a 12-core nMP with 16gb RAM and the dual AMD FirePro D700 6gb GPUs.  Also tried without multiprocessing turned on and seems just as slow.  In Activity Monitor the aerendercore is only using 10% of CPU at the most, and less than 2gb RAM.  I'm using AE 2015.3

Any ideas on how I can get this to work properly?  I'm mostly wanting it for the notifications feature - not so much the background rendering.
  • Just bought BG Render Pro and not having much luck.  So far it's taking 4 times longer to render a comp than regular rendering in AE (file still hasn't finished).  That's with Render Priority set to High, all other applications closed, multiprocessing turned on and the default memory settings.  I'm on a 12-core nMP with 16gb RAM and the dual AMD FirePro D700 6gb GPUs.  Also tried without multiprocessing turned on and seems just as slow.  In Activity Monitor the aerendercore is only using 10% of CPU at the most, and less than 2gb RAM.  I'm using AE 2015.3

Any ideas on how I can get this to work properly?  I'm mostly wanting it for the notifications feature - not so much the background rendering.
    If I had to guess, you are probably rendering something that uses the GPU to render like Element or similar. aerender renders using the CPU only so you won't see any render acceleration from the GPU. What I would recommend is that you pre- render and GPU accelerated effects first then render the composite in the background.
  • Absolutely love this plugin and use it everyday within my company.  I'm having an issue I wanted to see if you could shed some light on.  I have several employees using this over our network each with their own license. Occasionally one of our regular projects will get saved over with another project that someone else has used background renderer on.  Have you heard of that before?

If this makes more sense.
    Person 1 - Renders project 1
    Person 2 - Renders project 2

Later when the project is opened again for revisions we find out that Persons 1's project has saved over Persons 2 Project file leaving us to hopefully find a good autosave file.

I know that there are temp ae projects saved when BGR is launched somewhere but I can't figure out why this is happening or a step we should take to stop it.

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks!
  • Absolutely love this plugin and use it everyday within my company.  I'm having an issue I wanted to see if you could shed some light on.  I have several employees using this over our network each with their own license. Occasionally one of our regular projects will get saved over with another project that someone else has used background renderer on.  Have you heard of that before?

If this makes more sense.
    Person 1 - Renders project 1
    Person 2 - Renders project 2

Later when the project is opened again for revisions we find out that Persons 1's project has saved over Persons 2 Project file leaving us to hopefully find a good autosave file.

I know that there are temp ae projects saved when BGR is launched somewhere but I can't figure out why this is happening or a step we should take to stop it.

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks!
    The only time BGR saves a backup project file is if you choose the "Make portable app/folder" option. If you don't have that checked then it will use the main project to render.
  • Hi All,

I'm looking to set up a super computer to use as a render engine for After Effects CC 2015 (PNG Sequences). 
    HARDWARE: SuperMicro computer running Windows 10 or 8 TBD) - 32 cores with 256 gigs of RAM (It's a monster :)

What is the max number of launches of BgRender that has been tested?  We are on CC 2015 and don't want to go to CC 2014 to use multi core rendering if we can avoid it.  

ANy one have any experience with this amount of cores using BgRender please share your experience.

• Hi All,

I'm looking to set up a super computer to use as a render engine for After Effects CC 2015 (PNG Sequences). 
    HARDWARE: SuperMicro computer running Windows 10 or 8 TBD) - 32 cores with 256 gigs of RAM (It's a monster :)

What is the max number of launches of BgRender that has been tested?  We are on CC 2015 and don't want to go to CC 2014 to use multi core rendering if we can avoid it.  

ANy one have any experience with this amount of cores using BgRender please share your experience.

It depends on the complexity of your project but usually the rule of thumb is 2gb per instance and leave 2gb for AE and 2gb for the OS
  • Hello! triying to test this before I buy. AE CC2015.3

Problem is, when I select multiprocessor, and I hit BG render, it only uses two threads out of 56 threads, why? I thought that just hitting BG render would send the file to command line and use all threads available. I'm wrong assuming this?

• Hello! triying to test this before I buy. AE CC2015.3

Problem is, when I select multiprocessor, and I hit BG render, it only uses two threads out of 56 threads, why? I thought that just hitting BG render would send the file to command line and use all threads available. I'm wrong assuming this?

The MP feature was discontinued by Adobe, use the 'Save BG Launcher' feature instead and launch several threads. Please watch the tutorial video for more details on this.
  • I keep getting the message:

aerender version 13.2x49

PROGRESS: Launching After Effects...

aerender ERROR -1712: AESend failed to send apple event at line 769

• I keep getting the message:

aerender version 13.2x49

PROGRESS: Launching After Effects...

aerender ERROR -1712: AESend failed to send apple event at line 769

This is an unknown error from Adobe. Check these comments for more info: 

• Hi, my good friend BG Renderer stopped working.... :(
    It's never getting over „Launching aerender...“.
    Im on OS X 10.11.6, BG Renderer v.2.12 (which i also reinstalled to test) and AE CC 2015.3 and AE CC 2015.

Has somebody an idea/experienced this?

thanks

--- ok to be more specific after some tests, my project has a lot of Form and SureTarget in it but it was never render intense. I had system/plugins/scripts all up to date. When i create and test with a simple Comp within my project BG Renderer can handle it. But with my main timeline it gets stucked on launching. 
    The same happening with CC2015. Also in native AE renderer the rendering is suffering and slowing down. Now i even reinstalled AE, but it's still the same. Funny thing is on my other machine with almost identical settings and system (or even less) AE gives me hundreds of errors during playback, but when it comes to render with BG Renderer it's fast and reliable. I'm almost at the point of reinstalling OS... any ideas are much appreciated.
    cheers
    --- forgot to admit , that it worked in AME... Anyway i reinstalled OS now from a Backup onto a new SSD and now it works...  
  • Using and loving this, but noticed I get an error if the path has scandinavian characters such as ä or ö in it.
    Would it be possible to get bg renderer to work with these characters or do I have to try to get people to avoid using these in folder names?

Thanks.
  • Using and loving this, but noticed I get an error if the path has scandinavian characters such as ä or ö in it.

Would it be possible to get bg renderer to work with these characters or do I have to try to get people to avoid using these in folder names?

Thanks.
    BG Renderer handles those characters just fine. Perhaps aerender is the one that cannot handle them correctly. Depends on your OS and AE version.

However it's always best to avoid foreign characters in production paths.
  • I would like to set up SMS notifications, in the UK, with Tesco as my provider, how do I go about this?
    Thanks
  • I would like to set up SMS notifications, in the UK, with Tesco as my provider, how do I go about this?
    Thanks
    We will be happy to add these providers, we just need to know what the email to sms gateway address is. Can you contact them and ask them?  Here are the email to sms gateways for other providers so you can see what I am referring to: http://www.mutube.com/projects/open-email-to-sms/gateway-list/

Once you have the address format, please open a support ticket and we will add it right away.
  • Just updated to CC 2017. Getting an error on BG Renderer now. Sorry I dismissed it and have to leave office. Will post it a bit.
  • I figured out the problem. I had opened a 2015.5 aep and AE 2017 needed to convert it. When it does it puts (converted) at the end. It seems that BG Renderer or maybe AfterFX.exe does not like the parenthesis. The standard AE Render Queue worked fine however. Here is the Command Prompt output on a test file with parenthesis:

BG Renderer v2.12

RENDERING: CC2017(test).aep

Launching aerender...
    aerender version 14.0.0x207
    Using DXGI: Device: "NVIDIA Quadro K5200" has dedicated video RAM (MB): 7970
    OptiX has 3 devices available for use.
    Non-default knobs:

Non-default knobs:

aerender Error: After Effects error: Unable to call ∟openFast↔ because of parameter 1. Path is not valid. Path: ∟Z:\1_J
    BS\6_THE DIFFERENCE\SEASON 4\ELEMENT PROJECTS\AE\The Difference S4_Graphics folder\CC2017^(test^).aep↔

BG Renderer is done, have a nice day.

Press any key to close this window... 
  • BTW, I love and use BG Renderer every day. Some days I have 6 or 8 renders cranking and I'm still working in AE. 

Great product! Allows you to finally put all your CPU power to full use.

Brad
  • I figured out the problem. I had opened a 2015.5 aep and AE 2017 needed to convert it. When it does it puts (converted) at the end. It seems that BG Renderer or maybe AfterFX.exe does not like the parenthesis. The standard AE Render Queue worked fine however. Here is the Command Prompt output on a test file with parenthesis:

BG Renderer v2.12

RENDERING: CC2017(test).aep

Launching aerender...
    aerender version 14.0.0x207
    Using DXGI: Device: "NVIDIA Quadro K5200" has dedicated video RAM (MB): 7970
    OptiX has 3 devices available for use.
    Non-default knobs:

Non-default knobs:

aerender Error: After Effects error: Unable to call ∟openFast↔ because of parameter 1. Path is not valid. Path: ∟Z:\1_J
    BS\6_THE DIFFERENCE\SEASON 4\ELEMENT PROJECTS\AE\The Difference S4_Graphics folder\CC2017^(test^).aep↔

BG Renderer is done, have a nice day.

Press any key to close this window... 
    That is an aerender error. BG Renderer can handle the parenthesis just fine. Please let Adobe know about this bug here: http://adobe.com/go/wish
  • Excellent script, wondering why adobe hasnt embedded it already.
    Anyways, my question is, if i don t have virtual memory set to my machine, should i leave the 120% ram default or should i knock it down to somewhere around 80% and my cache ram to 0%? I wanna be sure my renders will finish and not flood the ram or something.

Thanks Llody, and again congrats this script rocks!!
  • Excellent script, wondering why adobe hasnt embedded it already.
    Anyways, my question is, if i don t have virtual memory set to my machine, should i leave the 120% ram default or should i knock it down to somewhere around 80% and my cache ram to 0%? I wanna be sure my renders will finish and not flood the ram or something.

Thanks Llody, and again congrats this script rocks!!
    You should leave those settings are their default values.
  • Even when multi threading? thanks 
  • Even when multi threading? thanks
    Yes
  • Hi, is there any problem related to Plexus 2 plugin?
    See BG render crash (cmd window) when loading Plexus. Fine on normal render.
    Using it on Win10, GTX970 AE 2015.3
    There are no known or reported issues.  Perhaps it's another plugin?

There are no known or reported issues.  Perhaps it's another plugin?
    Error show Plexus but I think it's related to common problem of PR locking frames (AE rendering and overwriting frames that are used on a PR project).

imageimage

Btw great script!!
  • I tried render with the demo and i got this message https://www.dropbox.com/s/yle95v65d5ga4l2/Capture.JPG?dl=0
    Any clues? It never managed to render anything. CC 2015.5
     thanks

• I tried render with the demo and i got this message https://www.dropbox.com/s/yle95v65d5ga4l2/Capture.JPG?dl=0
    Any clues? It never managed to render anything. CC 2015.5
     thanks

Looks like the quote character on your machine is messed up. aerender works on the command line and won't work properly if that character is not normal. You should contact Adobe for help with this.
  • Hi again Lloyd. I sent to adobe, seems it was an error with our network. I got all files local but still it does alot of time per frame with multithread on + high priority. Does more than the ae itself. I see my cpu at 100% though. Check image below, i got another error as render started. ty

https://www.dropbox.com/s/trmdluzppkfxz7a/error bg render.JPG?dl=0
  • Hi again Lloyd. I sent to adobe, seems it was an error with our network. I got all files local but still it does alot of time per frame with multithread on + high priority. Does more than the ae itself. I see my cpu at 100% though. Check image below, i got another error as render started. ty

https://www.dropbox.com/s/trmdluzppkfxz7a/error bg render.JPG?dl=0
    That is also an aerender error and you should contact Adobe for help with it. But i would turn multi-processing off and do several BG instances instead using the "BG Launcher" feature to maximize cpu usage.  Please consult the video tutorial for more details: https://aescripts.com/bg-renderer/   
  • * LIKE * LIKE * LIKE !!! So much time saving (and stable on my machine) on an current project! Many THANKS from this point!
  • Hi does BGRP work with "pre-render"? I.e., if I add a comp to the render que by selecting "pre-render" from the composition menu and render using BGRP, will all instances of the composition throughout the project be replaced with the render? Thanks!
  • Hi does BGRP work with "pre-render"? I.e., if I add a comp to the render que by selecting "pre-render" from the composition menu and render using BGRP, will all instances of the composition throughout the project be replaced with the render? Thanks!

It will render it but you will need to manually re link it. If you would like Adobe to add this functionality to aerender you can request it here: http://Adobe.com/go/wish/
  • Feature request:

Whenever I use BG Renderer I always use the same workflow that requires me to click "yes" (to save project), then "no" (to decline running file created) and "no" again (to decline seeing the file in finder).
    Could there be an option to have the dialogue boxes answers be permanent or preset if desired?
    Thanks for making this!!
  • Ben Pohl said:
    Feature request:

Whenever I use BG Renderer I always use the same workflow that requires me to click "yes" (to save project), then "no" (to decline running file created) and "no" again (to decline seeing the file in finder).
    Could there be an option to have the dialogue boxes answers be permanent or preset if desired?
    Thanks for making this!!
    Sure, we can add this to the feature request list.
  • I've been trying to use the trial to test things out on CC 2015.3, but can't get it to run at all, I get this issue:

Rebooted, tried again, same thing. No modals or anything open. Both with advanced options on and off. What am I missing?