• Hello trying a trial version w ar cc 2015.3 

all i get is a logo and a black screen?
    Advice?
    Mike D.
    Hello Mike,
    it should work with AE CC 2015.3.
    Is your computer behind a proxy-server? Which server-profile did you try? Please open a support-ticket under aescripts.com/contact/
    Cheers
    Nico
  • Hi Markus, 

I'm looking for a tutorial on how to implement 3D Buildings with the CINEMA 4D renderer in AE.
    I wasn't able to find anything in your video tutorials about this. Can someone provide assistance on a step by step guidance please? 

Many thanks in advance.
    Hello and a Happy New Year! I'm reposting my December 2016 question as I got no reply yet. Have a great day. 
  • Hi Markus, 

I'm looking for a tutorial on how to implement 3D Buildings with the CINEMA 4D renderer in AE.
    I wasn't able to find anything in your video tutorials about this. Can someone provide assistance on a step by step guidance please? 

Many thanks in advance.
    Hello and a Happy New Year! I'm reposting my December 2016 question as I got no reply yet. Have a great day. 

Hey Panagiotis,

Happy New Year! Sorry for the late answer. 3D shape layers can easiliy be extruded in AE. Just do the following:

• Make your Mapcomp Layer 3D (like this each Feature will also be drawn to a 3D shape layer)
    • Open the Comp Setting of the Composition that contains the Mapcomp and Change the renderer to CINEMA 4D
    • Once any Feature is drawn to a shapelayer you can extrude it. Find the Extrusion property in the shapelayers' geometry options.

We're also working on a good way to automatically map the Extrusion to certain properties of a Feature. For example the height in case of buildings.

Best

Markus

• Thanks a lot Markus, I'll give it a go. 

Also, re: auto extruding certain properties would be a very interesting feature to implement!

Have a nice one,
    Takis 
  • Hello recently installed geo layers 2 , it keeps crashing the moment i start it up , help please .
  • Hello recently installed geo layers 2 , it keeps crashing the moment i start it up , help please .

Hi arjun,

Can you see a textfield to enter a license code or "Trial"? Please open a Support Ticket and we will figure out whats wrong.

Best

Markus

• update works! Thank you
    is there a 3d landscape tutorial ? or does the original version work?
    Mike D.
  • update works! Thank you
    is there a 3d landscape tutorial ? or does the original version work?
    Mike D.
    Hello Mike,
    this is much easer with version 2. Long click the plus an you w'll get 3 choices. 
    1. Controller Mapcomp (Mapcomp with no download for controlling other map comps)
    2. Landmask Mapcomp (Luma Landmask Mapcomp)
    3. 3D Landscape (3D Setup with Trapcode MIR)

After creating the 3D Landscape, search for the location you want to show in the search bar. Hold Ctrl/CMD and click the little Square bracket. The Position will snap to the new one.
    You can also download a Sample Project under Description / Downloads Tutorial 08 3D Landscape Sampleproject!
    Also you can find under description a short video. Trapcode Mir 2

Best
    Nico

• Hi there,

maybe I am wrong, but:
    It is possible that during finalization some tiles are not found and GEOlayers will use a lower zoom level to fix this gap.
    Is there any way to hold all "good" tiles and only do a second try to load the missing tiles, rather than doing the whole process and missing again some tiles?

Thank you,
    Michael

• Hallo,
    here's my - maybe I am wrong, but:

When I create a 3D Landscape with Mir 2.0 and also create Labels, the Labels don't stick to a 3D Point. Like when I create a Label and then move the camera the position of the Label isn't sticking to the 3D Landscape. I noticed in the Mont Blanc sample project that the Label is 2D and centered on Screen with the Camera move circling the Mont Blanc also centered on Screen. So does this mean I can't have 3D Labels in a 3D Landscape scene thhat stick to a certain point? I would like to have the camera fly past my Label but it doesn't seem to work right
    Am I doing something wrong?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    thanks,
    nick
  • Hallo,
    here's my - maybe I am wrong, but:

When I create a 3D Landscape with Mir 2.0 and also create Labels, the Labels don't stick to a 3D Point. Like when I create a Label and then move the camera the position of the Label isn't sticking to the 3D Landscape. I noticed in the Mont Blanc sample project that the Label is 2D and centered on Screen with the Camera move circling the Mont Blanc also centered on Screen. So does this mean I can't have 3D Labels in a 3D Landscape scene thhat stick to a certain point? I would like to have the camera fly past my Label but it doesn't seem to work right
    Am I doing something wrong?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    thanks,
    nick

Hey Nick,

No, you can do this for sure! What makes it look like ist Floating is the height. Once you have snapped the Label to the "00 Control" Mapcomp. you'll need to adjust the height according to the Elevation displacement of the mir-layer.

Best

Markus

• Howdy! Great plugin!! A quick question: How did you accomplish the "Flight map" effect in the Feature Meshes project? Lighted cities and flight pattern lines? Thanks and keep up the great work!!
  • Howdy! Great plugin!! A quick question: How did you accomplish the "Flight map" effect in the Feature Meshes project? Lighted cities and flight pattern lines? Thanks and keep up the great work!!
    Hey William,

The look is created pretty simple. The lines are drawn with 50% opacity and the blend mode is set to add. The glow is simple blur.

Go ahead and check out the project:

Is is kind of messy though, sorry for that;)

Best
    Markus
  • Is there any way to add more unique label templates? SPECIFICALLY within the plugin/script and NOT at the per project level. 
    I want my custom label templates to be available whenever i create a new Geo layers project (without having to import the comp etc)

Is this possible?
  • Nick Ito said:

Is there any way to add more unique label templates? SPECIFICALLY within the plugin/script and NOT at the per project level. 

I want my custom label templates to be available whenever i create a new Geo layers project (without having to import the comp etc)

Is this possible?
    Hey Nick,
    Yes, you can setup a default label template project in the prefs labels section. All compositions that are not sorted into any folder will be loaded as label templates.

Best
    Markus
  • hi! i have this problem: my window extensions GEO layers 2 - empty(
    GEOLAYERS2.jpg
    2552 x 1386 - 245K

Hi,
    Please open a support ticket and we'll figure out what's wrong there.

Best
    Markus
    I would do a reinstall. I had a similar issue and the reinstall ( of the plugin ) worked just fine. 
  • Frustrating, Slow, Locations are not findable. 
  • Frustrating, Slow, Locations are not findable. 

Hello Stephen,
    which locations are you searching? Which server profiles do you use.
    Please open a support-ticket, so we can help you a better way.
    Best
    Nico
  • Hi,

i've no "create 3d landscape" button, although Mir 2 is installed :-/ what can i do ?

Thx
  • is there any way to integrate online weather data to after effects?
  • is there any way to integrate online weather data to after effects?
    Hello,
    yes this is possible. Could you explain a little bit more in detail what are you want to do?
    Please open a support ticket, so we could support you a faster and better way.
    Thanks
    Nico

• Gui Ton said:
    Hi,

i've no "create 3d landscape" button, although Mir 2 is installed :-/ what can i do ?

Thx
    Hello Gui,
    I replied to your support ticket. 
    Best
    Nico
  • Hello,
    I'd love to see what other people are doing with GEOlayers and GEOlayers+MIR. Could you include a section for user videos on your Vimeo channel?

Lisa O
  • Hello,
    Is it possible to create and animate more than one route at a time?  I'd like to show 50+ vehicles driving around a city during the course of one day.
    And where would I enter in GPX data?  I've just got the demo version at the moment but if I am able to enter this info, I'd be interested in purchasing.  Thanks in advance!
    -Phil
  • Hello,
    Is it possible to create and animate more than one route at a time?  I'd like to show 50+ vehicles driving around a city during the course of one day.
    And where would I enter in GPX data?  I've just got the demo version at the moment but if I am able to enter this info, I'd be interested in purchasing.  Thanks in advance!
    -Phil

Hello,
    Yes this is possible, but it depends how detailed the route is. If the routs have many points it could be a problem for AE. But if it worked in the trial it should also work in the full version.
    Best
    Nico
  • is there any methods to import excel spreadsheet... ie: column with just city names, and column with just associated states, to load and generate list of favorites
  • is there any methods to import excel spreadsheet... ie: column with just city names, and column with just associated states, to load and generate list of favorites

Hello Stephen.
    we are currently working on a csv-import. So so that could be a way for you to import your list. So stay tuned.
    Best
  • Hello,

I'd love to see what other people are doing with GEOlayers and GEOlayers+MIR. Could you include a section for user videos on your Vimeo channel?

Lisa O
    That is a good idea but we don't get much videos from our customers. If you have some good videos and you agree, we could post some of your work.
    Cheers
    Nico
  • Hi, I'm looking to purchase your great "Geolayers 2".
    Can I make GPS tracklog overlay on Geolayers2?
    I'd like to make a movie like this. https://doarama.com/  ;
    Regards.
  • Duke Togo said:
    Hi, I'm looking to purchase your great "Geolayers 2".
    Can I make GPS tracklog overlay on Geolayers2?
    I'd like to make a movie like this. https://doarama.com/  ;
    Regards.

Hi Duke,

Yes you can! GPX Files are natively supported by GEOlayers 2. So you can Import them, browse them, and draw them to AE Shape layers. If you're working with a 3D Landscape they can simply be drawn to the texture Mapcomp to be displaced with the Elevation of the Landscape.

Have a look here at 1:30:

Best

Markus

• Hi Markus!  I have the latest GeLayers update, and am ready to begin my project using the landscape function with Mir2.  But I have no idea how to get started.
    Is there a tutorial or written procedure somewhere that I can use?
  • Hi Markus!  I have the latest GeLayers update, and am ready to begin my project using the landscape function with Mir2.  But I have no idea how to get started.

Hey John,

Thats how you'd set it up. Let me know if you have further questions!

Best

Markus

Hey John,

Thats how you'd set it up. Let me know if you have further questions!

Best

Markus

OK ... so:
    - do I need to have a layer with MIR on it in my project?
    - where can I find a website with the data it will use?  
    I want to, say, make a 3D map of Colorado, USA.  Where will the data come from .... do I search inside GeLayers?
    Maybe a short, but detailed, tutorial stepping us through this would make your life easier .... 
  • Hey John,

I'll create a more detailled tut on the 3D Landscape Setup. But in short:

• GEOlayers 2 creates the whole Setup for you with one click as shown in the tutorial I posted in my last comment.
    • This default setup uses bing satelite textures and heightdata served by Mapzen. You can use it for free as long as you attribute it.
    • Additional Features that you want to Highlight or label can be downloaded via the online search or the browsers' Feature download function. So no Need to search the web.

Scroll down on the description tab to "User Guide Video Tutorials" to find a complete series of tutorials. I think it makes sense to take the time and watch them to get a better idea of how GEOlayers works.

Best

Markus

• Hey John,

• GEOlayers 2 creates the whole Setup for you with one click as shown in the tutorial I posted in my last comment.
    • This default setup uses bing satelite textures and heightdata served by Mapzen. You can use it for free as long as you attribute it.
    • Additional Features that you want to Highlight or label can be downloaded via the online search or the browsers' Feature download function. So no Need to search the web.

Scroll down on the description tab to "User Guide Video Tutorials" to find a complete series of tutorials. I think it makes sense to take the time and watch them to get a better idea of how GEOlayers works.

Best

Markus

Markus .... I started with the 1st tutorial and will work my way through them.  But after installing the newest version from AE Scripts, my user interface no longer looks like the one in your tutorials.
    See my screen-shot here please:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BxBo3nkR_bb3aTd0WlVuT0szTWs?usp=sharing
  • Hey John,

Best

Markus

Markus .... I started with the 1st tutorial and will work my way through them.  But after installing the newest version from AE Scripts, my user interface no longer looks like the one in your tutorials.
    Hello John,
    please start GEOlayers 2 from After Effects > Windows > Extensions > GEOlayers 2. 
    Best
    Nico
  • Hey John,

Best

Markus

Hello John,
    please start GEOlayers 2 from After Effects > Windows > Extensions > GEOlayers 2. 
    Best
    Nico
    Thank You!  Got it!
  • Hello Markus,

I try to test your plugin, but when I download, I receive SmartScreen filter error ,  in geloyers2_1_0_3.zip ???

note:

Items:
    containerfile:C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\FilesStash\D29C3C4D-83E0-0C36-AF3B-4D23D8892EE1_1d2789fc18293ad
    file:C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\FilesStash\D29C3C4D-83E0-0C36-AF3B-4D23D8892EE1_1d2789fc18293ad->(MPLC)->GEOlayers2 1_0_3/Mac/GEOlayers2 1_0_3.zxp->js/aesp.js
    file:C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\FilesStash\D29C3C4D-83E0-0C36-AF3B-4D23D8892EE1_1d2789fc18293ad->(MPLC)->GEOlayers2 1_0_3/Windows/GEOlayers2 1_0_3.zxp->js/aesp.js
    webfile:C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\FilesStash\D29C3C4D-83E0-0C36-AF3B-4D23D8892EE1_1d2789fc18293ad|https://aescripts.com/downloadable/download/sample/sample_id/468/|browser_broker.exe

Thank you

• Hello Markus,

I try to test your plugin, but when I download, I receive SmartScreen filter error , in geloyers2_1_0_3.zip ???

Thank you

That is a false positive. For some reason, Microsoft thinks that any download that contains a javascript file must be malicious. Please report it as a false warning to them. You can use any other virus checker to confirm this.
  • Hello.  I want to customize some of my labels, and am following Tutorial 7.  At 00:30, you show a Label dropdown, that I don't have.  I am using the latest version (1.03).  Where is it?
  • Hello.  I want to customize some of my labels, and am following Tutorial 7.  At 00:30, you show a Label dropdown, that I don't have.  I am using the latest version (1.03).  Where is it?
    Never mind .... I think I see it.
    It might have been helpful to, in your tutorials, begin each with the idea of building an example of each feature of GeoLayers.  I hate to draw comparisons, but Andrew Kramer does and excellent job of this.
    Yours are actually not tutorials at all, but rather hasty run-throughs of the capabilities.  Perhaps all label functions should have been in one detailed tutorials.  Now I'm having to jump around between several to find one thing I want to do involving labels.
    Your product is superb!  But learning to use it is a full-time job in itself.
  • Hey John,

You're right. The series is meant to cover all of the features of GEOlayers 2 and should give you an overview whats possible in an affordable amount of time. It is not videocopilot like detailled workflow tutorials... which are awesome! A lot of things (like Labels) happen to appear a few times(Default templates, custom templates, label from the search, label from the browser) So the best way to learn it might be watching the parts one after another.

Drop a line if you have problems.

Best
    Markus
  • Markus,

What is the best way to reduce and collect files for an AE project with GEOlayers 2 items? I'm afraid that if I choose my comp, reduce files - it'll delete things that GL needs for the client.
  • Markus,

I agree with John Kirksey but some detailed tutorials can go a long way.. Thanks

Ghassan
  • Hello Markus,

I try to test your plugin, but when I download, I receive SmartScreen filter error , in geloyers2_1_0_3.zip ???

Thank you

That is a false positive. For some reason, Microsoft thinks that any download that contains a javascript file must be malicious. Please report it as a false warning to them. You can use any other virus checker to confirm this.
    okay ! Thank you
  • Markus,

What is the best way to reduce and collect files for an AE project with GEOlayers 2 items? I'm afraid that if I choose my comp, reduce files - it'll delete things that GL needs for the client.

Hey Dave,

All items GEOlayers 2 Needs are inside the "GEOlayers 2 items" Folder in your AE Project. So I think selecting your render comp plus this Folder before you reduce the Project will work. Like this you make sure that Label templates stay in the Project. (Though you dont need them if you dont want to add Labels afterwards)

Best

Markus

• Hi Markus, 

I recently bought your Software for a job, extremely useful, client was very pleased, as was I.
    Now the rush to complete the job is over, I'm spending some time getting more familiar it.

I have a few, simple questions.

Firstly; In the preferences, there is a folder for saving tiles. Currently, it saves to my OS library (Mac OS X)
    I run an SSD hard drive, which has limited space. If I move the tile folder to an external drive, do I need to name the folders the same. i.e. external_drive > aescripts > GEOlayers2 > tiles

Secondly; Once a move and zoom has been finalised, is it possible to edit the individual tiles?
    For instance, for this job I was asked to do some retouching on a building roof - this would have been easy if I could export to Photoshop, retouch and then reconnect the tile in AE.
    Either that, or retouch the tile directly in AE. I couldn't find a way to do it. Admittedly I was on a tight deadline and didn't pursue it.
    I was able to some retouching (via colour correction, but no clone stamping.) with a snapped overlay comp, but the scaling and tile fading made this tricky.

Other than that, very exciting Script. Looking forward to using it more. Good work and many thanks in advance.

Dylan.
  • Firstly; In the preferences, there is a folder for saving tiles. Currently, it saves to my OS library (Mac OS X)
    I run an SSD hard drive, which has limited space. If I move the tile folder to an external drive, do I need to name the folders the same. i.e. external_drive > aescripts > GEOlayers2 > tiles

Secondly; Once a move and zoom has been finalised, is it possible to edit the individual tiles?
    For instance, for this job I was asked to do some retouching on a building roof - this would have been easy if I could export to Photoshop, retouch and then reconnect the tile in AE.
    Either that, or retouch the tile directly in AE. I couldn't find a way to do it. Admittedly I was on a tight deadline and didn't pursue it.
    I was able to some retouching (via colour correction, but no clone stamping.) with a snapped overlay comp, but the scaling and tile fading made this tricky.

Hey Dylan,

Thanks for the kind words! Glad you like it.

You can setup any folder for storing the tiles. No Need to create any certainly named directories. This Folder is sort of a working Directory for GEOlayers 2. It makes sense to store them locally on a fast SSD. Tiles don't need a lot of space, and you can remove them from time to time if you want. Once a Project is done you should use AEs collect files function to store used tiles within your Project Directory.

I think the easiest way to retouch anything is snapping a overlay to the mapcomp. This can be a little tricky while zoomlevelblends but I think it is more straight forward than retouching all the tiles the building is visible on. Especially when you zoom in and you'll need to retouch it on multiple zoomlevels. But of course you can do so by opening the Mapcomp, finding the tile layers to retouch and edit their sources in photoshop.

Best

Markus