• High res tutorials please...
  • Orrin and Dan - you guys have outdone yourselves on this!

Absolutely brilliant game-changer - again.

Looking forward to getting stuck into it and seeing the results.

Congratulations on the birth of another bundle of Monkey joy :)

Gaz

• High res tutorials please...
    Sorry 'bout that. Fixed.
  • Gary Bird said:

Orrin and Dan - you guys have outdone yourselves on this!

Absolutely brilliant game-changer - again.

Looking forward to getting stuck into it and seeing the results.

Congratulations on the birth of another bundle of Monkey joy :)

Gaz

Thanks Gary- I've always shy'ed away from Shape Layers since they were such a hassle to work with. This is our attempt to make it easier. While you can't do everything possible, it does give you a good set of tools to create stuff that would have taken a ton of time using the conventional way. Hope you like it...and send us some samples!
  • Hi Orrin and Dan

ShapeMonkey is absolutely brilliant, and makes the fairly onerous task of working with shapes so much easier and more fun. You've pretty much thought of everything. I too was not a huge fan of shapes in AE, but with this in the toolbox, I can dive in fearlessly, so thank you, again :)

A couple of first tries:

https://vimeo.com/200320394

https://vimeo.com/200307634

Cheers,

Gaz

• Gary Bird said:

Hi Orrin and Dan

ShapeMonkey is absolutely brilliant, and makes the fairly onerous task of working with shapes so much easier and more fun. You've pretty much thought of everything. I too was not a huge fan of shapes in AE, but with this in the toolbox, I can dive in fearlessly, so thank you, again :)

A couple of first tries:

https://vimeo.com/200320394

https://vimeo.com/200307634

Cheers,

Gaz

Nice!! Keep 'em coming Gary!
  • I'm having a little trouble....
  • "Unable to execute script at line 1. Invalid image data."

?? 

Script isn't working for me. 

Maybe I installed improperly?
  • I guess that's why it comes with a user's manual :)
    I'll read it.

• wow. when I read and follow the instructions the script runs perfect.
    can't wait to explore the new monkey.

you guys are brilliant. lots of help. 

thanks.
  • "Unable to execute script at line 1. Invalid image data."

?? 

Script isn't working for me. 

Maybe I installed improperly?
    Hey Delano- 

hmmmm....make sure the ShapeMonkey folder (with 4 folders inside) is in the ScriptsUIPanels folder along with the ShapeMonkey.jsxbin file - check the instructions.

Maybe restart? 

If its still a problem, open a support ticket and we'll take care of it. It should be pretty stable.
  • Really amazed at how ShapeMonkey gets shape/text animations done in a couple of clicks and a few seconds tweaking to come up with infinite variations. Totally brilliant!

A third quickie trying it on bars and text:

https://vimeo.com/200630329

Thank you Orrin and Dan, again.

• Great S*HIT, but, for all CS6 users, one gets: "This favorite contains 1 reference to a missing effect…". Any pseudo-effect installer yet?
  • Great S*HIT, but, for all CS6 users, one gets: "This favorite contains 1 reference to a missing effect…". Any pseudo-effect installer yet?

Thanks! We're working on it!. BTW- the psuedo effects all work, it's just you get an annoying error message that pops up in CS6 that you can ignore.
    Thanks! We're working on it!. BTW- the psuedo effects all work, it's just you get an annoying error message that pops up in CS6 that you can ignore.
    ok- We just posted a fix...the new version has a .jsx file that'll solve the problem. Just run the File > Script > Run Script File and it should be all set.
  • I purchased this plugin and really hope that more tutorials are forthcoming. I'm finding it hard to get it to do exactly what I want. It's easy enough to get started with creating some cool visuals, but when it comes to creating something specific I feel like I need some more guidance.
  • Ray Frake said:
    I purchased this plugin and really hope that more tutorials are forthcoming. I'm finding it hard to get it to do exactly what I want. It's easy enough to get started with creating some cool visuals, but when it comes to creating something specific I feel like I need some more guidance.
    Hey Ray-
     I'm not sure when the next batch of tuts will be done but I would suggest you learn to understand ShapeMonkey by making a bunch of quick studies isolating different parts of the UI, then move onto the psuedo effects

For example, start with Transitions, then turn those off and go into the animation section and play with Scale, then Position etc.  Turn each section on and off as you go. Get a good grip on each one and it'll make using them all together much more understandable. 

That said, there will be times that it will surprise you with its unpredictability. For example, just changing the ease type might alter the visuals in a way that's hard to anticipate.

After working with it for several months, I've found that it's really is a different way of animating - and since it has multiple transformations going on simultaneously it can be initially hard to grasp. Ultimately, it might be great for some projects and not for others. You give up some control but gain speed and unpredicatbly (hopefully cool) results.

Hope that helps a little bit.

-oz
  • amazing tool. really. 

but i am wondering if i need to be doing anything differently in terms of rendering.

I added two fairly simple shape monkey layers to a 10 second comp that was rendering in two minutes, and now is taking 55 minutes.

should i be converting expressions to keyframes when i am happy with the results?

aside from murdering my laptop fan, it truly is a fantastic tool

• amazing tool. really. 

but i am wondering if i need to be doing anything differently in terms of rendering.

I added two fairly simple shape monkey layers to a 10 second comp that was rendering in two minutes, and now is taking 55 minutes.

should i be converting expressions to keyframes when i am happy with the results?

hmmm....Can you open up a support ticket and send us the file?

• amazing tool. really. 

hmmm....Can you open up a support ticket and send us the file?
    i will open up a support ticket and create a test comp to replicate. I can't send you the actual file without doing a bunch of de-branding due to an NDA.

but i can create a comp that replicates the issue
  • Very cool script, guys!

Thanks for the tutorial, I'm enjoying playing around with it.

Feature request: A checkbox when using a custom shape layer to link the Shape Monkey created shapes to the original via expression. So one could keyframe the path of the shape layer, and have the changes flow to all the Shape Monkey layers.

I almost immediately wanted to do this and did it manually (result here) but of course I have to add the expressions each time.

Not sure how hard this would be to implement, but hope you'll consider for future releases.

Thansk!

Declan
  • Very cool script, guys!

Thanks for the tutorial, I'm enjoying playing around with it.

Feature request: A checkbox when using a custom shape layer to link the Shape Monkey created shapes to the original via expression. So one could keyframe the path of the shape layer, and have the changes flow to all the Shape Monkey layers.

I almost immediately wanted to do this and did it manually (result here) but of course I have to add the expressions each time.

Not sure how hard this would be to implement, but hope you'll consider for future releases.

Thansk!

Declan
    Hey Declan- Thanks for the note- if possible we'll add it in there. 

In the mean time, maybe the best way to approach it is to keyframe the original shape, then create the build. The keyframes should be copied to each shape layer - you'll be given a choice to offset the keyframes or not (don't quote me on that - it might depend on what the keyframes are applies to).

If you want to change the keyframes, the best approach would be to unbuild, change it and then rebuild. Since its such a fast process, it might be easier than linking to the original shape.

In general, these scripts are so expression heavy that adding or changing them might open up a whole can of worms...it might work in some situations, and not in others...but we really like the feedback, so keep them coming!
  • In the mean time, maybe the best way to approach it is to keyframe the original shape, then create the build. The keyframes should be copied to each shape layer - you'll be given a choice to offset the keyframes or not (don't quote me on that - it might depend on what the keyframes are applies to).
    If you want to change the keyframes, the best approach would be to unbuild, change it and then rebuild. Since its such a fast process, it might be easier than linking to the original shape.

In general, these scripts are so expression heavy that adding or changing them might open up a whole can of worms...it might work in some situations, and not in others...but we really like the feedback, so keep them coming!
    Thanks for the prompt and helpful response, Orin, that's a great way to go about it meantime!

Cheers,

Declan
  • Hello, I really really want to believe one of the Monkey's is what I'm looking for to solve my production challenge. I have a logo, it is basically the name of the company spelled out in their own "font", but it's not a real font or type element. What I have is a mask outline of the text, as well as a shape layer version with discreet paths for each letter. My task is to generate a boat load of animations, on and off, of these letters, in 2D. I am looking for a solution that would allow me to generate random animations, like the text presets in AFX, for this logo. Will any of your products do this? Thanks
  • Hello, I really really want to believe one of the Monkey's is what I'm looking for to solve my production challenge. I have a logo, it is basically the name of the company spelled out in their own "font", but it's not a real font or type element. What I have is a mask outline of the text, as well as a shape layer version with discreet paths for each letter. My task is to generate a boat load of animations, on and off, of these letters, in 2D. I am looking for a solution that would allow me to generate random animations, like the text presets in AFX, for this logo. Will any of your products do this? Thanks
    Hey Kevin- 
    From the sound of it you could use MotionMonkey, EditMonkey and/or ShapeMonkey all to different effects. The only thing I'd point out is that MotionMonkey only animates in, so you'd have to do two builds...I'd recommend using Ease In for the interpolation on the Animate Out (or you could use time remap too). 

You might also want to look at Shape Exploder too for a really easy way to split up the paths into different layers. You can also use Illustrator to do that manually- and even break up the letterforms themselves into different layers if you want to animate the pieces.

Hope that helps!

-oz
    Hey Kevin- 
    From the sound of it you could use MotionMonkey, EditMonkey and/or ShapeMonkey all to different effects. The only thing I'd point out is that MotionMonkey only animates in, so you'd have to do two builds...I'd recommend using Ease In for the interpolation on the Animate Out (or you could use time remap too). 

You might also want to look at Shape Exploder too for a really easy way to split up the paths into different layers. You can also use Illustrator to do that manually- and even break up the letterforms themselves into different layers if you want to animate the pieces.

Hope that helps!

-oz
    Hi Oz, this is just what I was looking for, thanks. Now that I'm stoked with the results, I want to push it a little further. Will Rubberize It work with Motion Monkey if I rasterize all of my shapes? What is the best workflow?
  • Hi Oz, this is just what I was looking for, thanks. Now that I'm stoked with the results, I want to push it a little further. Will Rubberize It work with Motion Monkey if I rasterize all of my shapes? What is the best workflow?
    hmmmm....my gut tells me no, because of the expressions. We actually never tried it.
    you could download a free trial tho and give it a whirl.
  • Hello... just come across these very tasty looking plugins, dont suppose you can steer me in the direction of a tool to help do something along the lines of this? Would need to control lots of strip shapes possibly with z-depth I guess?

thanks so much!  Matt
  • Hello... just come across these very tasty looking plugins, dont suppose you can steer me in the direction of a tool to help do something along the lines of this? Would need to control lots of strip shapes possibly with z-depth I guess?

thanks so much!  Matt
    Hey Matt- not sure if our scripts can do that, but I think theres a cool script called AE Shader Effector might...but not sure. You should contact them.

Good luck!!

thanks so much!  Matt
    Hey Matt- not sure if our scripts can do that, but I think theres a cool script called AE Shader Effector might...but not sure. You should contact them.

Good luck!!
    Hi hi — thanks for taking time to look at this, I think on investigation that good old 'Card Dance' will do the trick, just starting to get somewhere with that! Either way, will have a monkey around with some of your plugins soon  :)
  • Does anyone know if there's a sheet cheat anywhere online? I've seen whats available on this site but want to get a clearer understanding. Have been using it for months now and still haven't gotten this down. 
  • Does anyone know if there's a sheet cheat anywhere online? I've seen whats available on this site but want to get a clearer understanding. Have been using it for months now and still haven't gotten this down. 

Hey Steve- I assume you’ve watched the tuts and looked at the faq page..and the user manual. You can also open a support ticket and I can answer any question you have Oz
  • Curious why 2020 is listed under the Compatibility tab here on the aescripts site.  But when using the aescripts+aeplugins install manager, ShapeMonkey (v1.04) is still only listed as compatible with CC2019.  Will there be an update any time soon to make ShapeMonkey officially compatible with CC2020?
  • Jay Kaslo said:
    Curious why 2020 is listed under the Compatibility tab here on the aescripts site.  But when using the aescripts+aeplugins install manager, ShapeMonkey (v1.04) is still only listed as compatible with CC2019.  Will there be an update any time soon to make ShapeMonkey officially compatible with CC2020?
    it is...we just need to update the listing - thanks for pointing that out!
  • Jay Kaslo said:
    Curious why 2020 is listed under the Compatibility tab here on the aescripts site.  But when using the aescripts+aeplugins install manager, ShapeMonkey (v1.04) is still only listed as compatible with CC2019.  Will there be an update any time soon to make ShapeMonkey officially compatible with CC2020?

Hey Jay- We looked into it and it would be a huge help if you were to open a support ticket so it can be addressed...thanks!