• Nevertheless i would appreciate if it would be possible to
    either:
    -extend the batch file with own "post-render-commands" within the GUI
    or:
    -just save the batch file without starting rendering (i.e. to extend the batch file with own "post-render-commands"  )

This would give the possibility of copying, zipping or uploading or do anything futher "pipeline-friendly" operations with the final rendered file(s).

Perhaps this is something for a future release?

Great idea! I'm working with an upcoming update and I'll add that to my to do!
    Any update on this? Once this is incorporated, I will DEFINITELY be using it.
  • Any update on this? Once this is incorporated, I will DEFINITELY be using it.
    Hi! I haven't had time yet to be done with the update. It might take some time because I'm in the middle of a recording, but when I get any time left on the day I'll work on the update!
  • Any way to save output settings as template and use with AE render engine?
    Hi! Do you mean you want to save all edited settings in AEmpeg to use with AE render only? Maybe you're looking for the background rendering. That way a .bat file is created that renders using aerender.
    Yes, its for background rendering using AERender.exe. It accepts a parameter for output module template called -OMtemplate. How can we use AEmpeg this way? I did not understand when you said "a .bat file is created that renders using aerender". 

• Yes, its for background rendering using AERender.exe. It accepts a parameter for output module template called -OMtemplate. How can we use AEmpeg this way? I did not understand when you said "a .bat file is created that renders using aerender". 
    See here for more on Aerender.exe : https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/automated-rendering-network-rendering.html
    If you check the box "BG Rendering" next to the rendering button you will render using AERender.exe, but the rendering will start directly.
    I'm currently working on a sort-of-big update for AEmpeg where I'm cleaning the code, the GUI some and adding features like creating batch files to render with AERender but not directly.
  • really handy script. but i think it needs some more work. bg render crashes on cc2015.3 an AE it self looks like it crashes.. but its rendering in the background ;)
    would be nice to send some more data to the renderqeue. For example the naming. 

looking forward to a new Version :)
  • really handy script. but i think it needs some more work. bg render crashes on cc2015.3 an AE it self looks like it crashes.. but its rendering in the background ;)

Thanks for the kind words :) What kind of naming is it you're missing? You can see the name of the comp that will be rendered and the name of the output file in AEmpeg today but if you have more ideas hit me up and I'll try and implant them!

Thanks for the kind words :) What kind of naming is it you're missing? You can see the name of the comp that will be rendered and the name of the output file in AEmpeg today but if you have more ideas hit me up and I'll try and implant them!
    Hi Jacob

You're welcome. Naming: To automate the naming of our preview an final clips I've wrote a little script for our studio. The Script takes parts of the Projectname, Compositionname, Duration of the Comp and the language (in switzerland you have to create everything 3 times :) ). it would be a nice feature to send that to your script somehow. do you know what i mean?
  • hi only one question... 
    Works with avi not compressed file? 
    Thanks 

• hi only one question... 
    Works with avi not compressed file? 
    Thanks 

If you mean the file that AE renders first, it can be any format you want, just remember that if you use a compressed format like h.265, the final image will be as bad as that file. The better quality the first file has, the better your final file will be.
  • Hi, I just purchased 2 licenses for 2 workstations running Windows 10 and AE v2015.3.    When I run AEmpeg v1.2.4.jsxbin from the panel, it asks me if I want to download ffmpeg and install it.  I click OK and then it opens the terminal for a few seconds and closes it without installing ffmpeg.  Is this a bug?  Is there a way to install it manually or could there be something else at play here?   Thanks for your help!

• Hi, I just purchased 2 licenses for 2 workstations running Windows 10 and AE v2015.3.    When I run AEmpeg v1.2.4.jsxbin from the panel, it asks me if I want to download ffmpeg and install it.  I click OK and then it opens the terminal for a few seconds and closes it without installing ffmpeg.  Is this a bug?  Is there a way to install it manually or could there be something else at play here?   Thanks for your help!

Hi Nick! I just released an update that will fix this problem. Download the latest version of AEmepg under "My Downloads & Licenses"
  • Not sure if I'm the only one getting this error, the resulting prores-file that I get (HD HQ444) is just green so the video is messed up. Are you sure it's using the right ffmpeg flags? I've tampered with this in cmd-line myself but kinda bought this not to have to do that.
  • Not sure if I'm the only one getting this error, the resulting prores-file that I get (HD HQ444) is just green so the video is messed up. Are you sure it's using the right ffmpeg flags? I've tampered with this in cmd-line myself but kinda bought this not to have to do that.
    Hi! I don't get that error myself when I try to render. You can check the flags AEmpeg uses in the file aempegCodecs.txt. You find this file if you go to settings -> open AEmpeg folder.

If you still have this problem and can't solve it yourself, please open a ticket and I'll try and help you solve it.
  • Great script! Big question: is there a way to make a portable app w/ the BG Render so that I can launch several instances? 
  • hello,,
    I need help. I have problem, the file never render Pro Res. it always become .avi lossless.
    I used cc 2015.3.
    and when render with aempeg. theres yellow text :

Codec AVOption b (set bitrate (in bits/s)) specified for output file #0 (C:\Users\test\Desktop\prores hq.mov) has not been used for any stream. The most likely reason is either wrong type (e.g. a video option with no video streams) or that it is a private option of some encoder which was not actually used for any stream.

need help, thanks
  • I have a client who wants a ProRes 422HQ file delivered. I noticed there isn't an option for this in the dropdown menu. Can you clarify if the HQ option is the industry standard ProRes 422HQ? Thanks
  • Cam Vokey said:
    Great script! Big question: is there a way to make a portable app w/ the BG Render so that I can launch several instances? 
    Sorry for a very very late answer!
    I'm working on an update (that might take a while) that will allow you to do this :)
  • hello,,
    I need help. I have problem, the file never render Pro Res. it always become .avi lossless.
    I used cc 2015.3.
    and when render with aempeg. theres yellow text :

Codec AVOption b (set bitrate (in bits/s)) specified for output file #0 (C:\Users\test\Desktop\prores hq.mov) has not been used for any stream. The most likely reason is either wrong type (e.g. a video option with no video streams) or that it is a private option of some encoder which was not actually used for any stream.

need help, thanks
    Hi! Can you please open a ticket. That way I can help you quicker and better.
  • I have a client who wants a ProRes 422HQ file delivered. I noticed there isn't an option for this in the dropdown menu. Can you clarify if the HQ option is the industry standard ProRes 422HQ? Thanks
    Hi! Yes, the HQ template is ProRes 422 HQ
  • Can i use this with my own static compiled version of ffmpeg? (x64 with Nvenc).
  • Can i use this with my own static compiled version of ffmpeg? (x64 with Nvenc).
    Yes you can. Simply start AEmpeg, cancel the downloading of FFmpeg. Go to Settings -> Open AEmpeg folder. In this folder you should have another folder called "executables". Place your ffmpeg.exe in there. Make sure it's named ffmpeg.exe
    Yes you can. Simply start AEmpeg, cancel the downloading of FFmpeg. Go to Settings -> Open AEmpeg folder. In this folder you should have another folder called "executables". Place your ffmpeg.exe in there. Make sure it's named ffmpeg.exe

Awesome, gonna give this a go :)

• I just started using this plugin at work. Is there a way to have the project links remain intact? When trying to link back to the original project of a render it doesn't work with After Effects control+E command to bring up the original project. I checked and when you pull in the original output file it maintains the project link. Only issue is that the original output files are really heavy compared to the ffmpeg output. Original is 1.6 Gbs whereas the Prores output from ffmpeg is 149 Mbs. Would love to keep the project link attached to our files.
  • Hi, a little feature request: it would be great if there would be a little checkbox that would automatically name the Output using the Comp's name.  It would be the same behavior as AE's render queue.  thanks!
  • I don't have all the features availables. Anyone with the same problem? Like the lossless one
  • And does anyone how to replace the ffmpeg codecs?
    thanks
  • And does anyone how to replace the ffmpeg codecs?
    thanks
    Can you please open a support ticket and I can help you there!
    Thanks!
  • I using the trial right now on my work machine (Win10, cc2017), I can't seem to render while Cinema4D is rendering.
    I'm guessing AEmpeg/FFmpeg is pretty CPU driven?
  • I using the trial right now on my work machine (Win10, cc2017), I can't seem to render while Cinema4D is rendering.
    Are you rendering a AE comp with C4D in it or AE and C4D separate but at the same time?
  • Hi Jacob, I downloaded the trial version to see how it works before I purchase but it only renders the after effects settings and not the ffmpeg one. I wonder if this is a trial limitation or any compatibility issue with the latest CC2017 update? I am trying to export ProRes 4444 using ffmpeg and Tiff+alpha from the after effects settings, but I only het the tiff files. I'm using AE 2017 (latest version) on Windows 10.
    Thanks for your support

• Hi Jacob, I downloaded the trial version to see how it works before I purchase but it only renders the after effects settings and not the ffmpeg one. I wonder if this is a trial limitation or any compatibility issue with the latest CC2017 update? I am trying to export ProRes 4444 using ffmpeg and Tiff+alpha from the after effects settings, but I only het the tiff files. I'm using AE 2017 (latest version) on Windows 10.
    Thanks for your support

Please open a support ticket and I can help you there better! If your trial would end before this gets resolved, tell me and I'll give you an extended trial.
  • Hey Jacob,

Haven't used AEmpeg for awhile but working on a project now where I will be quite a lot.  Ran into a problem though where the primary render is set to render a TIF sequence then make a ProRez mov file.  Just checked and the output module is in fact named TIF Sequence as per the tutorial video.  AEmpeg rendered the TIF sequence just fine, but then never kicks in to create the mov.  If I switch to using an AVI output instead, then it works as expected.

Any idea what might be happening?
  • Hey Jacob,

Haven't used AEmpeg for awhile but working on a project now where I will be quite a lot.  Ran into a problem though where the primary render is set to render a TIF sequence then make a ProRez mov file.  Just checked and the output module is in fact named TIF Sequence as per the tutorial video.  AEmpeg rendered the TIF sequence just fine, but then never kicks in to create the mov.  If I switch to using an AVI output instead, then it works as expected.

Any idea what might be happening?
    That sounds wrong. Can you open a support ticket and I'll be able to help you much quicker and easier!
  • Sure.  Will try to do that a bit later today as well as make sure I didn't miss something obvious.
  • Well, tried this several times last night but this AM it all worked fine.

I check the output module spelling & it was correct but just to be sure I duplicated an existing one, unchecked the alpha option & saved under a new name.

Beats me. Gonna chalk this up to "Evil Spirits" ... again.
  • Well, tried this several times last night but this AM it all worked fine.

I check the output module spelling & it was correct but just to be sure I duplicated an existing one, unchecked the alpha option & saved under a new name.

Beats me. Gonna chalk this up to "Evil Spirits" ... again.
    Glad the problem got sorted out! :)
    If anything else happens, just write here and I'll try and help!
    Are you rendering a AE comp with C4D in it or AE and C4D separate but at the same time?
    oh, sorry, I didn't see your reply from earlier.
    I'm doing separate renders, but at the same time. No linking between AE and C4D.
    oh, sorry, I didn't see your reply from earlier.
    I'm doing separate renders, but at the same time. No linking between AE and C4D.
    Weird. I just uploaded a new version of AEmpeg. Download the new trial and try again. If you're still having the problem, open a ticket and I'll try and help you from there.
  • Weird. I just uploaded a new version of AEmpeg. Download the new trial and try again. If you're still having the problem, open a ticket and I'll try and help you from there.
  • I'm running into a problem with outputting to a desired naming format. In the Render Queue (AE CS6), with the Output To: dropdown, there's a choice of using Comp Name and Frame Range but that's not quite what I need. Instead, I'd like to use the Comp name and the timecode range like this:

[compName]_[startTimecode]-[endTimecode].[fileExtension]

which the Custom option allows resulting in something like this:

01001B_1-32-07-00-1-32-35-00.avi

However, I don't seem to be able to get Aempeg to play nicely at this point. I can't use the bracket code or just paste in the file name. The first render will occur but then Aempeg won't kick in afterwards. Is it getting confused thinking this is a sequential file?

I couldn't find any means to configure this option in Aempeg. Is there? Needs to be if there isn't of course. Any work around other than rendering twice with a name that Aempeg is happy with?

• I'm running into a problem with outputting to a desired naming format. In the Render Queue (AE CS6), with the Output To: dropdown, there's a choice of using Comp Name and Frame Range but that's not quite what I need. Instead, I'd like to use the Comp name and the timecode range like this:

[compName]_[startTimecode]-[endTimecode].[fileExtension]

which the Custom option allows resulting in something like this:

01001B_1-32-07-00-1-32-35-00.avi

However, I don't seem to be able to get Aempeg to play nicely at this point. I can't use the bracket code or just paste in the file name. The first render will occur but then Aempeg won't kick in afterwards. Is it getting confused thinking this is a sequential file?

I couldn't find any means to configure this option in Aempeg. Is there? Needs to be if there isn't of course. Any work around other than rendering twice with a name that Aempeg is happy with?

Hi! AEmpeg doesn't have support for that kind of dynamic naming. It's a very good idea tho! I'll add it to my todo for AEmpeg!

I solution for it would be to add your comp to the renderque, generate your name, copy the name and paste it into AEmpeg. It's not a beautify solution but it's the one that exists today.
  • That's pretty much what I'm doing.  Thanks for the confirmation that I'm not doing something wrong though.

• Updating ffmpeg itself.

This might be obvious or not.  In the AEmpeg panel, it tests if ffmpeg is installed, but it doesn't offer to test if it's current.  I got to wondering & searched my system for ffmpeg,exe and found 3 actually.  2 under different folders for Red Giant, same size & date, and one under a users roaming folder along with the FFmpegDownload.jsx so going to assume that's the one AEmpeg is using, an Oct 29, 2014 date so older.

On the ffmpeg site however, version ffmpeg-3.3.1 is the most current.  So, do you have to install ffmpeg into that roaming folder or will AEmpeg get advised somehow?
  • Updating ffmpeg itself.

This might be obvious or not.  In the AEmpeg panel, it tests if ffmpeg is installed, but it doesn't offer to test if it's current.  I got to wondering & searched my system for ffmpeg,exe and found 3 actually.  2 under different folders for Red Giant, same size & date, and one under a users roaming folder along with the FFmpegDownload.jsx so going to assume that's the one AEmpeg is using, an Oct 29, 2014 date so older.

On the ffmpeg site however, version ffmpeg-3.3.1 is the most current.  So, do you have to install ffmpeg into that roaming folder or will AEmpeg get advised somehow?
    AEmpegs ffmpeg path is %appdata%/aescripts/AEmpeg (or settings, open AEmpeg folder).
    AEmpegs version isn't the latest ffmpeg. The current version is from 2016-12-04. Instead of updating it constantly I update it from time to time to make it easyer for the end users. If a user wish to use a specific version you can replace the ffmpeg file with the version you wish :)
    But as you reminded me now I took my time and updated to the latest version (3.3.1). AEmpeg should ask you if you want to update. If it doesn't, go to settings, open AEmpeg folder, executables and delete ffmpeg .Then restart AEmpeg and it should download the latest version.
  • OK.  I was wondering if that was the process.  It hasn't asked to update so guess I'll go encourage it to.

Thanks.
  • How do you process image sequences like EXR with this plugin?  Currently, the image sequences render with the frame name after the file extension, and then nothing is converted to an prores 4444 mov.
  • How do you process image sequences like EXR with this plugin?  Currently, the image sequences render with the frame name after the file extension, and then nothing is converted to an prores 4444 mov.
    Hi! Please open a ticket and I'll be able to help you with this more easy!
  • Hey There,

Is is possible to use an AEmpeg output with aerender? Or does after effects have to be open?

Thanks,

Aaron

• Aaron Key said:
    Hey There,

Is is possible to use an AEmpeg output with aerender? Or does after effects have to be open?

Thanks,

Aaron
    If you check the box "BG render" before rendering you will render with aerender and After Effects does not need to be open while the rendering does what it does.