• hey, I would love to create a detailed route with a lot of stations. I got the exact route in Google Maps, is it somehow possible to export it from there and import it into Geolayers?
  • hey, I would love to create a detailed route with a lot of stations. I got the exact route in Google Maps, is it somehow possible to export it from there and import it into Geolayers?
    okay, i figured it out by myself. For everyone who wants to know how:

1. login into google and go to "my Maps"
    2. create the Route
    3. export as: kml
    4. hop into ae and geolayers and choose the "add geospatial file"
    5. draw feature and have fun
    cheers

Hey Alexander,

The Google .kml export is perfect to work with the route in GEOlayers. Would it have been helpful for you to have the possibility to add stations in GEOlayers own "Add Route" Dialog? Or would you prefer the Google workflow. Allways trying to find a good balance of what we focus on and what is simply better if you're doing it with other tools.

Best

Markus

• I have an issue with the 3D render, it 's not the same render on all the 3D map...And I have hole on the map. Like the picture. 
    How can I fix it ?
    Capture d’écran 2017-01-30 à 20.41.52.png
    3832 x 2146 - 5M
  • I have an issue with the 3D render, it 's not the same render on all the 3D map...And I have hole on the map. Like the picture. 

How can I fix it ?
    Hello Paul,

could you please open a support-ticket end send us your project file?
    I'll have a look what's going on.

Cheers
    Nico

How can I fix it ?
    Hello Paul,

could you please open a support-ticket end send us your project file?
    I'll have a look what's going on.

Cheers
    Nico
    It seems that you have to finalize your project / linked mapcomps.
    Cheers
    Nico
  • Yes, thanks for the quick answer !

Hey Alexander,

The Google .kml export is perfect to work with the route in GEOlayers. Would it have been helpful for you to have the possibility to add stations in GEOlayers own "Add Route" Dialog? Or would you prefer the Google workflow. Allways trying to find a good balance of what we focus on and what is simply better if you're doing it with other tools.

Best

Markus

An "add Route" Dialog would be nice but i think the Route options in Google are more helpful than the ones that are built in. I found much more Places that i've needed than with your OpenStreetMap Searchbox. You should adapt the "Draw Route" feature from Google :D 
  • Can a GeoTiff be bought in (from a service such as UrthCast) and then lined up with the height data GeoLayers has access to? Licensing satellite imagery is very expensive, but I'm looking in to a project where we would be provided very high res GeoTiffs (that don't contain height data, unfortunately).

Sorry if this is covered in your manual btw, I did look...
  • Added plexus compatibility !! ? any information how to use more in depth some how adjust the map area before adding plexus ? 
    Mike D.
    Oakland Ca.
  • Added plexus compatibility !! ? any information how to use more in depth some how adjust the map area before adding plexus ? 
    Mike D.
    Oakland Ca.
    Hello Mike,
    at the moment there is no deth-tutorial for GEOlayers 2 with Plexus. For adjusting the map, create the plexus preset. Search for the location you want, click the little blue brackets button in the search-result to jump to the new location.
    Nico

• Can a GeoTiff be bought in (from a service such as UrthCast) and then lined up with the height data GeoLayers has access to? Licensing satellite imagery is very expensive, but I'm looking in to a project where we would be provided very high res GeoTiffs (that don't contain height data, unfortunately).

Sorry if this is covered in your manual btw, I did look...

Hey Michael,

1. You can Import the imagery to AE and snap it as an NW SE overlay to your Texture Mapcomp. You'll need to get the coords from from the GeoTIFFS Metadata manually and if the imagery is not Mercator projected there might be inaccuracies. 

2. You can create a Mapbox Tileset from the GeoTIFF (https://www.mapbox.com/help/import-imagery/) and create a Server Profile with the mapbox API. This Server Profile then can simply be applied to the texture Mapcomp.

If you have further question that go more into Detail please open a Support Ticket (https://aescripts.com/contact/)

Best

Markus 

Mike D.
    Oakland Ca.

Hey Mike,

What do you mean with map area? You can jump to any place in the world. Just select the Control Mapcomp and scroll around or search for a place and directly jump to it.

Cheers

Markus

• Hello, where to find geojson like you import in tutorial #4 ?
    how to make this kind of file to import it in geolayers ?
    thanks
    okay, i figured it out by myself. For everyone who wants to know how:

1. login into google and go to "my Maps"
    2. create the Route
    3. export as: kml
    4. hop into ae and geolayers and choose the "add geospatial file"
    5. draw feature and have fun
    cheers
    How do you export the KML file in Google? I don't see an option for that.
  • How do you export the KML file in Google? I don't see an option for that.
    Just go to file > save > save as, and in place of kmz extension choose kml
  • Hi, Does it supports the After effects motion blur?
  • Hi, Does it supports the After effects motion blur?
    Hello matteo,
    yes, you can activate motion blur for the map animations.
    Best
    Nico
  • Hi, Is there a way to get stroke of a counrty, with borders exactly along the sea, not "in" the sea.
    I can make a luma mask, but i want to make just a stroke of a country, and the shape Border overflowing in water, so i can"t get the stroke border well.
    Hope i explain well enough ^^
  • Hi, Is there a way to get stroke of a counrty, with borders exactly along the sea, not "in" the sea.
    I can make a luma mask, but i want to make just a stroke of a country, and the shape Border overflowing in water, so i can"t get the stroke border well.
    Hope i explain well enough ^^

Hi there,

In the countries.geojson that comes with GEOlayers 2 the admin boundaries are cropped to the land. So you can simply use this dataset. Attribution is also not needed since it comes from naturalearth. If you don't find it in the Feature browser you can find it here: https://aescripts.com/downloadable/download/product/id/101/

Best

Markus

• In the countries.geojson that comes with GEOlayers 2 the admin boundaries are cropped to the land

nice i forgot that file ! thanks
  • Love this product!  Running into an issue where I'm fairly zoomed in on some terrain and I'm getting tile lines that show up when I turn on AO in Mir. Is there any way to resolve this?  

I've tried the tile checkbox in settings already and upping the finalization quality.  Any help is appreciated!
  • Love this product!  Running into an issue where I'm fairly zoomed in on some terrain and I'm getting tile lines that show up when I turn on AO in Mir. Is there any way to resolve this?  

I've tried the tile checkbox in settings already and upping the finalization quality.  Any help is appreciated!

Please open a support ticket and upload screenshots https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=894
  • Can I get a version compatible with CS6 ?
  • Can I get a version compatible with CS6 ?

Yes, version 1 is still available, but without official support. You have to buy Version 2 and open a support ticket. After that you will get a download link for version 1.

Best
    Nico
  • Hi !
    Just curious,
    Is there a way to change projection to 2d world map ?
    There is a lot of possibilities, but at least Winkel-Tripel could be cool rather than Mercator.

Also, you speak about 3d Landscape, but can it support simple 3d spherical globe ?

Cheers !
  • Is there a way to change projection to 2d world map ?
    There is a lot of possibilities, but at least Winkel-Tripel could be cool rather than Mercator.

Also, you speak about 3d Landscape, but can it support simple 3d spherical globe ?

Hi Raymond,

unfortunately thats not possible. The 3D Landscape Feature is for topology:

Best

Markus

• Thanks Markus for your answer,

of for 3D globe,

but what about the other 2d projections ? :)
  • its not working, i tried many times, i download the ZXP installer, but it could not read the ZXP data 
  • its not working, i tried many times, i download the ZXP installer, but it could not read the ZXP data 

Hello Yousef,

Please open a support ticket at screenshots https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=894
    Thank you!
    Best
    nico
  • Hi just tried importing a CVS file using the technique in your tutorial with Google doc and geocode cell.

When importing in geolayers 2 only the names show. Prices are there and I can change the feature display to display the district names, but I don't have an edit style box to the left of it to apply a style too.

Any ideas?

Mac pro system.
  • Hi just tried importing a CVS file using the technique in your tutorial with Google doc and geocode cell. When importing in geolayers 2 only the names show. Prices are there and I can change the feature display to display the district names, but I don't have an edit style box to the left of it to apply a style too. Any ideas? Mac pro system.
    Hey Matthew,

to apply a custom style to a feature and see the thumbnails in the browser the "auto apply style" setting in the feature style editor needs to be enabled.

Best
    Markus
  • Hi,

Is the 1.1.1 update a Mac only version or did you forget to include the Win version in the downloadable .zip ?

Best
    Guillaume  Otzenberger
  • Hi,

Is the 1.1.1 update a Mac only version or did you forget to include the Win version in the downloadable .zip ?

Best
    Guillaume  Otzenberger
    Hey Guillaume,

no it works on both systems. There is actually no difference in the zxp. The only thing that is platform specific is the zxp installer.

Best
    Markus

• Hi just tried importing a CVS file using the technique in your tutorial with Google doc and geocode cell. When importing in geolayers 2 only the names show. Prices are there and I can change the feature display to display the district names, but I don't have an edit style box to the left of it to apply a style too. Any ideas? Mac pro system.
    Hey Matthew,

to apply a custom style to a feature and see the thumbnails in the browser the "auto apply style" setting in the feature style editor needs to be enabled.

Best
    Markus
    Thanks, that helped. ;-)

Also in Goelayers 1 when you created a Mapcomp you were able to specify the comp size. This was handy for making it a 3d layer and rotating the layer. A technique I use often, is there a way to specify this in Geolayers2?

Hey Matthew,

Best
    Markus
    Thanks, that helped. ;-)

Also in Goelayers 1 when you created a Mapcomp you were able to specify the comp size. This was handy for making it a 3d layer and rotating the layer. A technique I use often, is there a way to specify this in Geolayers2?
    Yes, this is possible. Select the mapcomp and open the compsettings in AE. Set the size you want for the Comp. After that click the mapcomp list in GEOlayers 2. That's it. GEOlayers has now the new size and if you finalize or change the position of the map center, it should download the missing tiles.

• Also in Goelayers 1 when you created a Mapcomp you were able to specify the comp size. This was handy for making it a 3d layer and rotating the layer. A technique I use often, is there a way to specify this in Geolayers2?
    Yes, this is possible. Select the mapcomp and open the compsettings in AE. Set the size you want for the Comp. After that click the mapcomp list in GEOlayers 2. That's it. GEOlayers has now the new size and if you finalize or change the position of the map center, it should download the missing tiles.
    Awesome. You couldn't do this with previous version as it messed with the navigation, right?
  • pls can any one tell me how to install Geolayers 2 in aftereffect 
  • Hello,
    I'm testing GeoLayers on trial mode.
    In the quick setup menu, I haven't any "Create 3D Landscape" button.
    I've got Trapcode Mir 2.1, GeoLayers 2 1.1.1 on AE 14.1.0.57.

Is it a trial mode limitation ?
    Thank you !
    Best
    Fred
  • Hi there, 

I absolutely love this plugin and would like to use it together with MIR. Is there any other -simplified- workflow which also applies to GEOlayers latest 1_1_1 vrsn other than this 2 years old video tutorial?

Many thanks in advance.
    Takis  
  • Hi again, I would like to use a logo (PSD / AI document) as a label. Which tutorial shall I watch on this? Many thanks in advance. 

• Hi Markus, 

I'm looking for a tutorial on how to implement 3D Buildings with the CINEMA 4D renderer in AE.
    I wasn't able to find anything in your video tutorials about this. Can someone provide assistance on a step by step guidance please? 

Many thanks in advance.
    Hello and a Happy New Year! I'm reposting my December 2016 question as I got no reply yet. Have a great day. 

Hey Panagiotis,

Happy New Year! Sorry for the late answer. 3D shape layers can easiliy be extruded in AE. Just do the following:

• Make your Mapcomp Layer 3D (like this each Feature will also be drawn to a 3D shape layer)
    • Open the Comp Setting of the Composition that contains the Mapcomp and Change the renderer to CINEMA 4D
    • Once any Feature is drawn to a shapelayer you can extrude it. Find the Extrusion property in the shapelayers' geometry options.

We're also working on a good way to automatically map the Extrusion to certain properties of a Feature. For example the height in case of buildings.

Best

Markus

Hi have you implemented a way to automatically map the Extrusion to certain properties of a Feature. (i.e. height for buildings etc). Many thanks in advance. 
  • Hi again, I would like to use a logo (PSD / AI document) as a label. Which tutorial shall I watch on this? Many thanks in advance. 

Hello,
    I think you should watch this tutorial first. It shows how to create a label template.

Best
    Nico
  • Hello, i'm playing around with the trial Version and thinking about buying GL2. But what i'm not possible to do is the horizon view. Not in 2d and even not in 3d. Do you have an short workaround how to do it? Thx Michael
  • Hello, i'm playing around with the trial Version and thinking about buying GL2. But what i'm not possible to do is the horizon view. Not in 2d and even not in 3d. Do you have an short workaround how to do it? Thx Michael
    Hello Michael,

for a 2D horizon view you simply have to make the map comp a 3D layer, add a camera. Rotate the map comp or the camera in X-Rotation.
    Thats it, now you can zoom in an out via GEOlayers and rotate the map with the camera or the rotation of the map.

Best
    NIco
  • Hey guys, wow lots of questions. Let's see if I've got some answers for you;)

In the quick setup menu, I haven't any "Create 3D Landscape" button.
    I've got Trapcode Mir 2.1, GeoLayers 2 1.1.1 on AE 14.1.0.57.

Hey Fred, no it is no trial limitation. GEOlayers 2 should know which plugins you've installed. If you don't see it though open the prefs, ALT+Click the veeeery top right part of the prefs panel to show hidden settings. Then check "show not installed 3D Landscape Plugins" on the general tab.

Hi have you implemented a way to automatically map the Extrusion to certain properties of a Feature. (i.e. height for buildings etc). Many thanks in advance. 
    Yes, you can use Data-driven Styles for this. The buildings you download have a height property by default. Check out how data driven styles work here:

Is there any other -simplified- workflow which also applies to GEOlayers latest 1_1_1 vrsn other than this 2 years old video tutorial?
    Yep, it is a one click setup. Check out the 3D Landscape button in the quick setup menue: 

Hope that helps guys!

Best
    Markus
  • It works, thank you Markus !
    All the Best
    F
    Hello, I think you should watch this tutorial first. It shows how to create a label template. Best Nico
    Yep, did that before I posted here. It seems I'm missing the "how/if" I'm able to import PSDs & AIs graphics / logos in place of the labels. The tutorial well documented changing color and styles but am I missing a way to replace a label with a logo for example. Thanks 
  • It seems I'm missing the "how/if" I'm able to import PSDs & AIs graphics / logos in place of the labels. The tutorial well documented changing color and styles but am I missing a way to replace a label with a logo for example. Thanks 
    OK, all you need to do is the following steps:
    1. import your .psd or .ai into your AE project 
    2. create a compostion containing it
    3. put this comp into the "GEOlayers 2 items" > "Label Templates" Folder in your AE project
    All comps inside this folder are used as Label Templates by GEOlayers 2

Best
    Markus
    Hello Michael,

for a 2D horizon view you simply have to make the map comp a 3D layer, add a camera. Rotate the map comp or the camera in X-Rotation.
    Thats it, now you can zoom in an out via GEOlayers and rotate the map with the camera or the rotation of the map.

Best
    NIco
    Hello Nico,

the way you discribed is not exactly what i'm looking for. I'm just looking for a workflow as you discribed for GeoLayers 1 in your tutorial. So I mean - a large comp with low detail and a small comp with a high detailed map for zooming in. thx again Michael