• Hi there, the beauty of aescripts.com is it is quite open, so as you try out this product, leave feedback - if there are suggestions that are just excellent, then expect (if possible) for it to be included in the next version.
  • Already thinking about...
    Group mattes [select a layer and a group and use the layer to matte each member of the children]?
    Trimming function for the layer group to show where the child layers come in and out?
  • Thanks! This is a great utility to keep things  organized.
  • Awesome, i've been waiting for this feature since AE v6.5.1!!
    Works great as promised, the only minor annoying thing is that i don't seem to be able to dock it next to the composition window. Script floats in its own non-resizeable window and i don't see any gripper areas on it.
    Did i miss something?
    Win 7x64 / AE CS6
    In any case, thank you for the great tool, i love it!
  • Hi Katya, delighted - What you need to do is make sure it is in the ScriptUI Panels folder:
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS5.5\Support Files\Scripts\ScriptUI Panels

Then load script from the WINDOW MENU, then it will load in the native UI panel that can be docked.
    You are probably loading the script in another way.
  • What you need to do is make sure it is in the ScriptUI Panels folder:C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS5.5\Support Files\Scripts\ScriptUI Panels
    Yep, that's exactly what i did wrong - i just dropped it into Scripts folder instead of Scripts/ScriptUI. 
    Works fine now, thank you for your help!!
    :)
  • What happens to any parented keyframes if you open this project without this plugin installed?
  • Hi!
    Awsome script!
    One thing though, when I try to add a new group it only creates a nameless null with nothing under it, all the selected layers dissapear.
    Bug?
  • What happens to any parented keyframes if you open this project without this plugin installed?
    Hi John, the Group or 'Parent' is in fact a NULL layer with the name changed. (Sneaky I know!) - So the script is just working with the nuts and bolts of layers/layer names/comments/shying etc. so this will translate and open in any installation with or without the script. Then you would just have to manually do the parenting/renaming/hiding and all that stuff.

• Hi!
    Awsome script!
    One thing though, when I try to add a new group it only creates a nameless null with nothing under it, all the selected layers dissapear.
    Bug?
    Hey there,
    The script creates the group in the 'collapsed state' so use the '+' button on the toolbar to expand the selected group.
    Rewatch the video to familiarize yourself. Remember script takes full control of shying and comments.
  • Yes, that was the problem. I had about 50 audio clips as shy layers and I forgot to uncheck one of them... ;)
    Thank's for this super duper script!
    Also the Corner cutters script is incredible useful!
  • Yes, that was the problem. I had about 50 audio clips as shy layers and I forgot to uncheck one of them... ;)
    Thank's for this super duper script!
    Also the Corner cutters script is incredible useful!
    Cool! So remember for a clean workflow, go one way or the other (with shying and comments!). You can rename
    the child layers of the groups to whatever you want but to rename the group, You use the rename button on the toolbar.
  • I am having the same exact problem that Goren is. When I try to add a new group it only creates a
    nameless null with nothing under it, all the selected layers dissapear.

• OK, yes when I collapse it, things are there. But why doesnt it give it the name I typed in the creation requester box?
  • I meant uncollapse it  :D
  • Got it!
    Perfect. Congrats again on creating this script. Ive been waiting a long time for this. :D

• For anybody getting started and wondering why there is a NULL! Your timeline might be set to read Source Names rather than layer names. See image.
  • Hi Alan,

You can just do layer.source.name = "► GROUP-tester" instead of  layer.name = "► GROUP-tester"

Kevin
  • Cool thanks for that, I will have to decide in an update if all the sources for the layer names are re-named also and how a user may or may not want that....  Cheers.
  • Hi Alan

Great plugin! Would it be possible for the null to be the total length of the contained layers? That would be hugely helpful.

Thx,
    Steve
  • Also, how does the new null position get determined? Mine is off the screen even for layers that are all on the screen. Can it be created in the comp center or even better the center of the grouped layers?
  • Also, how does the new null position get determined? Mine is off the screen even for layers that are all on the screen. Can it be created in the comp center or even better the center of the grouped layers?
    Hi Steven, if you just group, the null is just off screen because the null is for organizational purposes, but if you shift click [parenting] it is created at the centre of the comp.  Will take the suggestion on board, sounds like a setting preference for me.... 
    Also I have already done the other suggestion, so when I have a few more updates put together and tested I hope to update in a few weeks.
    Thanks for the feedback.
  • Hi, thanks for the script, huge effort.

Just been testing it, good for animating groups, not sure yet between this one and the simplicity of GM_FoldLayers script.

However, pop up dialogs appear on second monitor, so remembering position would be great.

Couldn't get the icons as an horizontal toolbar.

• Hi, thanks for the script, huge effort.Just been testing it, good for animating groups, not sure yet between this one and the simplicity of GM_FoldLayers script.However, pop up dialogs appear on second monitor, so remembering position would be great.Couldn't get the icons as an horizontal toolbar.

Hello, many thanks for trying it out...
    The little dialog boxes are designed to pop up centre screen so it's not interpreting the 2 screens. Noted and will be dealt with in an update [if possible - not sure if I can dictate to pop up where the panel is docked, will look into it.]. I have already implemented a choice between horizontal and vertical, but it will be a few weeks so I can consolidate a good few fixes together for an update. [and I need a few weeks of feed back to assess changes] Just got Group mattes working now too. I actually have not tried that script.
  • Hey Alan,

Loving your script - already saved me loads of time!

Just wondered with the save frame feature - if we could choose the file type rather than just having a png?

Cheers!

• Hi Brad, sorry it's just .png, it's a built in function that bypasses the render q so there is only one option at the moment....
    If you do a search on aescripts there are some other scripts that might address your needs.

Also the built in one for saving a script is not bad, but you still have to go through the render q and set the output file etc......
  • No probs Alan, it's a great function to have and i'll just whack the pngs through a PSD droplet to convert to smaller sized jpg files for clients!

Thanks
  • Screen grab of stuff coming soon... will update more as I go along... Thanks!

• Hi Alan,

Very useful plugin! Is it possible to use Isolate and Layer Groups together?

• Hi Chris, not at the moment, might look at that soon too, thanks for the interest.
  • Hi Alan,

I'm experiencing some lay-out align problems on the new After Effects CC, can you / anyone confirm this? It also happens with Corner Cutters. 

Thanks
    Willem
  • Hi Willem,
    Sorry about this, there is nothing I can do for the moment as Adobe have not yet released details of changes they have made to the scripting object model for UI.  So until they tell us what they have changed, then all of the AEscripts people cannot update their code to adjust to the new After Effects.

So I obviously will update the scripts asap once Adobe release the new pdf.
    Many thanks - Alan.
  • Hi Willem,
    Sorry about this, there is nothing I can do for the moment as Adobe have not yet released details of changes they have made to the scripting object model for UI.  So until they tell us what they have changed, then all of the AEscripts people cannot update their code to adjust to the new After Effects.

Many thanks - Alan.
    Hi Alan,

I understand. Quick note... After a restart of After Effects CC the alignment of the scripts seems to be ok. :-)
  • Question.

If I want to create a series of Solid Layers with unique masks on them that is then grouped together as a layer group then assign that layer group as a custom layer, say in something like Element 3D, will all of the masks be seen from that one layer group?
  • Arrrgh! Nevermind.  This script doesn't work in AE CC.  Tried the trial and relaunched several times.  Cannot create groups. Hitting enter after entering a group name does nothing at all.  Only option is to cancel which then deletes the layers and replaces with a single null in the comp.  Yikes.

Looking forward to a CC compatible version! This seems like a great tool! :-)
  • Hi Tobias... 

Many thanks - Alan.

If you change the Source Name to Layer Name in the composition, that will show you the group... and then you can un-group the layers or delete the group...

I cannot address any issues in CC for the above reasons... as soon as I can, it will be sorted and a free update.... 
  • Also Tobias, for element 3d etc, remember that the 'group' is actually just a null layer, so that is what element 3d would see, not the child layers.
    You would have to use a precomp or a normal solid layer for that.  Layer Groups is a sort of organisational tool.
  • Thank you Alan for the information!
  • Hi, just wondering if I am able to have the panel horizontal?

Thanks for the great script.

• Hi Naim, You will very soon!  Just waiting to test new version on CC. The next version will be a free update for all owners. See attached...
  • Hi Naim, You will very soon!  Just waiting to test new version on CC. The next version will be a free update for all owners. See attached...
    Amazing... Looking forward to it :)
  • Can't wait for this!  This will be such a nice help!
  • Any update? 
  • Hi Tobias, we are supposed to get the update this wk so should take about one more week after that.
    Hopefully you will get an automatic email when u can upgrade. Cheers.
  • Hi Tobias, we are supposed to get the update this wk so should take about one more week after that.
    Hopefully you will get an automatic email when u can upgrade. Cheers.
    Ok great.  Thank you kindly for the quick response.  We're looking forward to buying this.  So obviously helpful. :-)
  • Hi Everyone, Apologies I still can't update the script because Adobe hasn't released the information I need to sort various issues out. We were told it would be soon, so that is all I have to go on... So it's testing the new version - which has issues on CC.
  • Hi Everyone, Apologies I still can't update the script because Adobe hasn't released the information I need to sort various issues out. We were told it would be soon, so that is all I have to go on... So it's testing the new version - which has issues on CC.

Thank you for the update Alan.  We're waiting patiently and understand completely.  :-)
  • Still no information from Adobe.... I know, it's another month. Nothing I can do to update - will go on holidays and hope they give us the info needed to update the scripts by the time I'm back. :(
  • is it normal or a CC bug, that all entry fields don't contain a "ok" button but only a "cancel" one which does not work?