Paint & Stick
  • Hello I purchased a license for Paint and Stick. And it the start turtorials, it mentions there some starter brushes that we can download. But I can't seem to find them. Is there a link?

Thanks for you help.
  • Hello I purchased a license for Paint and Stick. And it the start turtorials, it mentions there some starter brushes that we can download. But I can't seem to find them. Is there a link?

Thanks for you help.
    They are in the installer package. Actually we should clarify that because for a moment there I forgot myself and had to go looking! So after you unzip it, it should be visible.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Paint & Stick Product Manager
    Capture.PNG
    994 x 186 - 17K
  • I don't know if I need stick right now, but can I upgrade to stick after I've bought just the paint? And not have to pay 199.99?
  • I don't know if I need stick right now, but can I upgrade to stick after I've bought just the paint? And not have to pay 199.99?
    You can always upgrade for the difference: https://aescripts.com/paint-and-stick/#upgrade-notice
  • Hi,

Let's say if I buy 1.5 version now. When version 2 is released, will I get a free upgrade? or I have to purchase the new version again? 

Thanks!
    Alex
  • Alex S said:

Hi,

Let's say if I buy 1.5 version now. When version 2 is released, will I get a free upgrade? or I have to purchase the new version again? 

Thanks!
    Alex
    It will be a free upgrade :smile:
  • Will you be adding support for cinema 4D 18 anytime soon ? 

Amazing work btw

Thanks !
  • Will you be adding support for cinema 4D 18 anytime soon ? 

Amazing work btw

Thanks !
    We already support it!
  • I'm trying to figure out a way to create a "Sticky Pass" in 3D Studio Max.  Is it the same as a normal pass?

I created a normal pass using a Mental Ray shader with an AO pass in the Diffuse section.  Would that work as a Sticky Pass?
  • I'm trying to figure out a way to create a "Sticky Pass" in 3D Studio Max.  Is it the same as a normal pass?

I created a normal pass using a Mental Ray shader with an AO pass in the Diffuse section.  Would that work as a Sticky Pass?
    A Sticky Pass is not the same as a normals pass. Normals represent the angle of a surface. The Sticky pass is about position, motion, and object index. The two are not interchangable. We do not support 3DS Max, but here's a video on how the sticky passes work if you'd like to try to re-create our passes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuyoDukBqb4

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Just installed the latest Paint & Stick but I get these errors when trying to use the brush palette. So the palette is not working.

ReferenceError: p is undefined
    TypeError: null is not an object

I'm on applemac 10.10.5 and using AE CS6.

Any help would be great.

Gary
  • Just installed the latest Paint & Stick but I get these errors when trying to use the brush palette. So the palette is not working.

ReferenceError: p is undefined
    TypeError: null is not an object

I'm on applemac 10.10.5 and using AE CS6.

Any help would be great.

Gary
    Can you please open a support ticket and let us know as many details as possible? Is this your first time using it? Please include your brush folder as well if possible. Http://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • Have you ever thought about adding a line smoothing/straitening option for P+S or does the technology in AE not allow it?

Also, how do I go about getting the free upgrade?
  • Is there a discount for users from v.1 wanting to jump on v.2 of paint?
  • Is there a discount for users from v.1 wanting to jump on v.2 of paint?

Its a free upgrade. You can find it in the 'My Downloads & Licenses'  (https://aescripts.com/downloadable/customer/products/) section of your user account. 
  • I'm using the trial to test it out. I don't seem to be able to change the brush size, nor many of the settings - is that the limitation of the trial, or am I just not looking in the right place?
  • I'm totally new to Paint & Stick, and I'm using v2.01.  I cannot seem to figure how how to populate my color swatches pallet.  It appears you use a keyboard shortcut to bring up the color picker, but I cannot find that either.
    Is there a very rudimentary tutorial that shows these basic build-blocks?
  • I'm totally new to Paint & Stick, and I'm using v2.01.  I cannot seem to figure how how to populate my color swatches pallet.  It appears you use a keyboard shortcut to bring up the color picker, but I cannot find that either.
    Is there a very rudimentary tutorial that shows these basic build-blocks?

Yes, check out this tutorial: 

You can see all of our tutorials here: https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/paint-and-stick/

You bring up the color palette using the button on the effect "Show/Hide" swatches Palette.
    To add to the palette, select a color, then press the plus button on the palette.
    You can alt click within the comp window to sample/select colors.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • [Deleted User] said:
    I'm using the trial to test it out. I don't seem to be able to change the brush size, nor many of the settings - is that the limitation of the trial, or am I just not looking in the right place?
    Hey, sorry for the delayed response, I was actually camping in the desert while this comment was posted, and thought another member of the team would handle these questions when I was away and without an internet connection... Somehow we dropped the ball.

You just neeed to open your brush palette to change brush size and the other settings. Check out this tutorial, 30 seconds in: 

Sorry again, I'm sure you've figured it out by now and I was of no actual help, but I still wanted to answer your question anyway.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Just out of clarification, what's your maximum brush size again?
    And what site do you recommend for downloading new brushes?
  • Just out of clarification, what's your maximum brush size again? And what site do you recommend for downloading new brushes?
    The maximum brush size 1000x1000px. We don't endorse any particular site for brushes, however brushes are always in png format. Anywhere you can find a PNG file will do. Brushes are full color with alpha by the way. 

There are many brush packs out there that are black and white. You can import those into After Effects, and use "Shift channels" effect, and set "Take Alpha From" to luminance. This will make anything white opaque, and anything black transparent. You could also use the invert effect before shift channels if black is supposed to represent opaque, and white transparent. Last, use a Fill Effect, and fill with the color white, then use Paint & Stick to capture as a brush.
  • Hi, I browsed through the comments, but I didn’t find an answer to my problem:
    I’m unable to find the option in the FX Panel to pick the path to the universal brush folder.

I’m using the Demo Version of Paint Only and exportet a bunch of Photoshop brushes into a new folder.
    Now when I'm expanding the advanced options in the fx panel (like in your tutorial), theres no field to set the path.
    Since this is one of the main reasons I want to own your awesome script, I hope you can help me with this! :)

Thanks a lot in advance,
    Chris

/// EDIT: Problem solved!
    I obviously watched an older tutorial ... Now I managed to import them via the “set brush folder” button right at the bottom of the brush palette –
    with the latest tutorial. Sorry for being a bit hasty.
  • Ah good, I like when questions resolve themselves before I even wake up in the morning. For anyone else reading with the same problem, Paint & Stick 1.0 and 2.0 have completely different methods of loading brushes. There are still a handful of Paint & Stick 1.0 tutorials floating around the internet, so please make sure if there's any confusion, check out out page for the most up to date information.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hi,

I'm on a new decent-spec laptop running AE CC 2017, and noticed there is a significant lag when using Paint & Stick (Paint only version)...

I mean if I draw a quick circle, it'll only actually do two-thirds of it as the computer hasn't kept up. Also, if I'm doing some dots the drawing doesn't produce them at all since it was too fast to register. Is there any P&S setting I can adjust to help this, or an AE setting? I've tried turning down quality in several ways to try and have it run 'lighter', but the comp is about as light as it gets! It's pretty frustrating as I was imagining a smooth drawing feel, and instead I'm having to go really slow...

Photoshop and all the pressure-sensitive Windows Pen tools are lightning-fast on my machine, and always reproduce dots. 

My Laptop is running 64-bit Windows 10 on a Lenovo Yoga P40, with i7 6600 processor, 16gb RAM, and NVIDIA Quadro M500M.

Cheers, 

Sam

• Hi,

I'm on a new decent-spec laptop running AE CC 2017, and noticed there is a significant lag when using Paint & Stick (Paint only version)...

I mean if I draw a quick circle, it'll only actually do two-thirds of it as the computer hasn't kept up. Also, if I'm doing some dots the drawing doesn't produce them at all since it was too fast to register. Is there any P&S setting I can adjust to help this, or an AE setting? I've tried turning down quality in several ways to try and have it run 'lighter', but the comp is about as light as it gets! It's pretty frustrating as I was imagining a smooth drawing feel, and instead I'm having to go really slow...

Photoshop and all the pressure-sensitive Windows Pen tools are lightning-fast on my machine, and always reproduce dots. 

My Laptop is running 64-bit Windows 10 on a Lenovo Yoga P40, with i7 6600 processor, 16gb RAM, and NVIDIA Quadro M500M.

Cheers, 

Sam

I'm not sure exactly what the problem could be, but first, please make sure adaptive resolution/fast previews are off in your comp. Those can cause all sorts of issues and interruptions when drawing. It may be possible to get slight hiccups when drawing if a stroke is finishing at the time you begin drawing a new one. Can you try to set the stroke merge time up to about 1 second? Please take a look here at the section about stroke merge time, it can be used to your advantage in some cases:
    https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/paint-and-stick/#AdvancedSettings

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hi,

I'm super interested in implementing Paint & Stick in the workflow of our studio. But I need one bit of information that either is not in the tutorial or I didn't pay enough attention.

Say we have this scenario: I need to make a line drawing of a simple scene in AE and I do it using Paint & Stick. But now I also need to simulate that the drawing is being drawn by a pencil (a bitmap or vector asset). Does Paint & Stick provide the option to generate a null-object with key framed trajectory or a path that follows the strokes as they are being drawn so that I can parent this pencil asset to that?

Actually, the promo video of P&S has just that (0:03-0:13) There is the three colores stroke at the beginning that is being 'drawn' by the stylus. Can that be done quickly with data from the plugin or was that done 'by hand' afterwards?
  • Hi,

I'm super interested in implementing Paint & Stick in the workflow of our studio. But I need one bit of information that either is not in the tutorial or I didn't pay enough attention.

Say we have this scenario: I need to make a line drawing of a simple scene in AE and I do it using Paint & Stick. But now I also need to simulate that the drawing is being drawn by a pencil (a bitmap or vector asset). Does Paint & Stick provide the option to generate a null-object with key framed trajectory or a path that follows the strokes as they are being drawn so that I can parent this pencil asset to that?

Actually, the promo video of P&S has just that (0:03-0:13) There is the three colores stroke at the beginning that is being 'drawn' by the stylus. Can that be done quickly with data from the plugin or was that done 'by hand' afterwards?
    Sorry but all of our strokes are not vector, they are rasterized. The stroke data itself is not saved in any way, meaning you can't generate a null from the stroke, or draw on the stroke.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hi,

Sorry but all of our strokes are not vector, they are rasterized. The stroke data itself is not saved in any way, meaning you can't generate a null from the stroke, or draw on the stroke.

Cheers,
    Chris
    I see, thanks a lot for your quick answer. Would be great to have that feature, even if it is not the complete path of the stroke but just its coordinates as it moves along the screen that can be mapped to a null, I think it can be pretty useful. Thanks!

• Hi,

Cheers,
    Chris
    I see, thanks a lot for your quick answer. Would be great to have that feature, even if it is not the complete path of the stroke but just its coordinates as it moves along the screen that can be mapped to a null, I think it can be pretty useful. Thanks!
    I think it's unlikely we'll be able to implement a feature like that, just because it would require a lot of low level changes to our drawing engine. But have you considered using the Motion Sketch window built into After Effects? It lets you record a path with your pen. Perhaps you could use it to loosely trace over a drawn path, then use the Null to attach your pencil object to. You may have to tweak and retime keyframes, but I think it would get you pretty close to the effect you're trying to achieve pretty quickly.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hello!
    I'm working with Octane. And I have some displaced geometry based on a displacement map. As the passes are made from the standard render I cannot get the perfect match with the displaced geometry. Is it possible to use passes from Octane? Thanks
  • Hello!
    I'm working with Octane. And I have some displaced geometry based on a displacement map. As the passes are made from the standard render I cannot get the perfect match with the displaced geometry. Is it possible to use passes from Octane? Thanks
    Sorry, I just took a look into this, and we currently don't have a way to make it match exactly. We'd have to figure out exactly how the shader is displacing the geometry. Unfortunately because of the way Octane samples, and you can't really build a pass with 0 level anti-aliasing like the standard renderer has, I don't think we'd be able to create a shader in Octane to get what we need. I'll continue to think about this, but I'm sorry to say I'm momentarily stumped.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hi!

I'm using -Paint Only- to do cel animation in After Effects.
    Regularly, after 5 to 10 minutes, the brushes (standard and imported ones) loose their pressure sensitivity, leaving a bold stroke or an ultra thin line.

I already tried the workaround in the “FAQ- After Effects Known Issues and Workarounds”, concerning the problem, that the Wacom driver may go offline sometimes.

Unfortunaltely this method (make new layer, apply Paint & Stick) doesn’t reload the drivers and the only thing to do for me is to close and restart After Effects, which gets really annoying. Working 1 hour = 5-7 restarts …

Here are my sytem specs:
    Intel i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 64GB RAM,
    Sytem drive is on a SSD, Media Cache (55GB) goes to separate SSD,
    Wacom Cintiq 27“ pen display, latest driver version 6.3.23-1
    After Effects CC 2017

Would be great, if there’s another workaround or kind of an update to this problem, since Paint & Stick is supposed to be one of the main tools in oncoming projects.

Thanks a lot!

Chris

• Hi!

I'm using -Paint Only- to do cel animation in After Effects.
    Regularly, after 5 to 10 minutes, the brushes (standard and imported ones) loose their pressure sensitivity, leaving a bold stroke or an ultra thin line.

I already tried the workaround in the “FAQ- After Effects Known Issues and Workarounds”, concerning the problem, that the Wacom driver may go offline sometimes.

Unfortunaltely this method (make new layer, apply Paint & Stick) doesn’t reload the drivers and the only thing to do for me is to close and restart After Effects, which gets really annoying. Working 1 hour = 5-7 restarts …

Here are my sytem specs:
    Intel i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 64GB RAM,
    Sytem drive is on a SSD, Media Cache (55GB) goes to separate SSD,
    Wacom Cintiq 27“ pen display, latest driver version 6.3.23-1
    After Effects CC 2017

Would be great, if there’s another workaround or kind of an update to this problem, since Paint & Stick is supposed to be one of the main tools in oncoming projects.

Thanks a lot!

Chris

Hey, we're pretty close to releasing our next version, we can send you a pre-release build to see if it fixes this problem. We overhauled a lot of the code which handles drawing and tablets. Please submit a help ticket ( https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1 ) and I'll send back a copy with installation instructions!

Cheers,
    Chris
  • hello. I am a paint only user.
    I followed the tutorials, 'Exporting Brushes From Photoshop to be used in Paint & Stick' but unable to change my brush. Exporting was successful. There are json and png files I wanted. 

However, whatever I choose, I could see only basic circles.
    I add a capture for references.

file.jpg
    1128 x 338 - 45K
  • hello. I am a paint only user.
    I followed the tutorials, 'Exporting Brushes From Photoshop to be used in Paint & Stick' but unable to change my brush. Exporting was successful. There are json and png files I wanted. 

However, whatever I choose, I could see only basic circles.
    I add a capture for references.

Please open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1

• Hi Chris,

I'm having a heck of a time with Paint & stick for a project.  I'm on PC FYI, CC2017 AE.

I have a project in Premiere, and I'm creating a 'Replace with After Effects Composition'.  When I'm in AE, I'm working on a file (short 3-4 second clips) and wanting to 'paint' i.e. the Bruno Mars type feel on a clip.  It works when I'm in AE, but then for some reason I can't render it, and the dynamic links don't seem to work? So I'm losing the ability to render my full premiere project.

Help please?
  • kevin Loh said:

Hi Chris,

I'm having a heck of a time with Paint & stick for a project.  I'm on PC FYI, CC2017 AE.

I have a project in Premiere, and I'm creating a 'Replace with After Effects Composition'.  When I'm in AE, I'm working on a file (short 3-4 second clips) and wanting to 'paint' i.e. the Bruno Mars type feel on a clip.  It works when I'm in AE, but then for some reason I can't render it, and the dynamic links don't seem to work? So I'm losing the ability to render my full premiere project.

Help please?
    Please open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • K thanks filed now.

Was looking for a work around, and it won't render out in Media Encoder though?
  • The current installer doesn't detect CC2018 and C4D R19. Will there be an update in the near future?
  • The current installer doesn't detect CC2018 and C4D R19. Will there be an update in the near future?
    Please download the latest version from the 'My Downloads & Licenses'  section of your user account. If you still need assistance please open a support ticket.  

• I guess I'm probably missing something obvious but when I go to fill, the preview (and fill) are filling the whole screen and don't seem to be identifying the shapes drawn. I'm in demo mode, is this why?
  • I guess I'm probably missing something obvious but when I go to fill, the preview (and fill) are filling the whole screen and don't seem to be identifying the shapes drawn. I'm in demo mode, is this why?
    Maybe your shape isn't opaque enough? Hold Shift and click and drag to the left, that will reduce the fill's opacity requirement. If that doesn't work, please submit a help ticket, and perhaps we can take a look at the project in question.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hello! Great plug-in, it's a huge problem-solver!

However, there's a problem -- I cannot change the color of my brushes, not even the default ones (screenshot attached). My menu doesn't look like the tutorial, and I've only just downloaded it so I'm pretty sure it is up-to-date. I only have Paint since I'm not working with anything 3D.

Running OS 10.13.3, AfterEffects 15.0.1

What did I screw up? Or is color only a function in Paint & Stick?

Thank you!
    Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 10.17.37 PM.png
    745 x 512 - 67K
  • Hello! Great plug-in, it's a huge problem-solver!

However, there's a problem -- I cannot change the color of my brushes, not even the default ones (screenshot attached). My menu doesn't look like the tutorial, and I've only just downloaded it so I'm pretty sure it is up-to-date. I only have Paint since I'm not working with anything 3D.

Running OS 10.13.3, AfterEffects 15.0.1

What did I screw up? Or is color only a function in Paint & Stick?

Thank you!
    If you launch the brush palette, you'll see options for different brushes. Take a look at this tutorial here: 
    At 7 minutes in the tutorial, it shows where to change the color. (But there's some other good stuff between the beginning, and those 7 minutes, so it may be good watch the whole thing.)
    And to answer your question, the only feature in 'Paint & Stick' that is not in 'Paint Only' is the ability to Stick to 3D render passes. Brush color is included in your version.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • kevin Loh said:
    K thanks filed now.

Was looking for a work around, and it won't render out in Media Encoder though?
    Hi Kevin, 

Did they ever help you get this figured out? I am running in to the same problem right now. The Paint drawings do not export through Premiere or Media Encoder, though they do when I use the internal AE exporter. Any solution?

• Hi Kevin, 

Did they ever help you get this figured out? I am running in to the same problem right now. The Paint drawings do not export through Premiere or Media Encoder, though they do when I use the internal AE exporter. Any solution?
    Rendering via AME is not supported https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/paint-and-stick/#FAQAfterEffectsKnownIssuesAndWorkarounds
  • So... No rotation control by rotating stylus? Why is this?
  • Is this plugin currently working properly with AE? 

I keep running into two issues:

1. Importing .abr brushes almost always fails. Some work, some simply freeze After Effects. I wait for the software to respond but no files are created in the folder for +10 mins and I have to force AE shutdown.

2. When the brushes are correctly exported from .abr and imported into after effects, most of them are displayed as a 100% opaque round brush. Some work, but most of them don't

• Is this plugin currently working properly with AE? 

I keep running into two issues:

1. Importing .abr brushes almost always fails. Some work, some simply freeze After Effects. I wait for the software to respond but no files are created in the folder for +10 mins and I have to force AE shutdown.

2. When the brushes are correctly exported from .abr and imported into after effects, most of them are displayed as a 100% opaque round brush. Some work, but most of them don't

Can you please submit a help ticket? 
    We can put you in touch with one of our developers who may be able to find what's different about your setup, and possibly fix the problem. We can revisit this in the ticket, but you're saying that the export converts ABR->PNG correctly, but it's upon loading the PNGs, the PNGs are problematic? Please make sure the PNGs are square, and less than 1000 pixels in either dimension. Also we do sometimes have issues with non alphanumeric characters. So if there are special characters, Russian, Japanese, Hebrew etc... letters in your path or brush file names, please try to change the names of those to make sure that isn't the problem. Also it can sometimes help to delete the After Effects preferences.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • I've the original ver 1.55 of Paint & Stick and in the Effects Controls UI, I see there's a 2.0.0 available.  However, on the compatability tab, CS6 is no longer listed for 2.1.0.

Is the latest version no longer usable in CS6?