Smart Selector

• imageSmart Selector

Point, click, and select any layer you can see. Smart Selector sees through bounding boxes, adjustment layers, precomps and layer transparency to find the select layers using the most advanced layer selection algorithm. Welcome to the new way of working in After Effects.

https://aescripts.com/smart-selector/

• I think there should be an option  to ignore locked layers
    Great idea Basem! I will make sure to include this in future versions
    Great idea Basem! I will make sure to include this in future versions
    Thank you so much , I will be waiting for that update because there is a lot of file that I use it as Guide layer and I keep it locked inside composition 
  • Actually I'm working on project contains 130 layers , it's really annoying that I have to scroll up all the layers every time I need to select the quick selection layer !! 

I think there should be a button inside the script panel for quick selection
  • Love this idea, but I'm getting an error saying that it doesn't work with 3d layers... is that true?
  • Love this idea, but I'm getting an error saying that it doesn't work with 3d layers... is that true?

Hey Robert, this is true. The current verion of Smart Selector only supports layer selection of 2D layers. Look for this functionality to be available in future versions of Smart Selector.
  • Would be nice to know if Smart Selector also runs in CS5.5 (even if it's not officially supported)... 

• Actually I'm working on project contains 130 layers , it's really annoying that I have to scroll up all the layers every time I need to select the quick selection layer !! 

I think there should be a button inside the script panel for quick selection
    If you know the layer number, then type it on the numeric keyboard.  So if Smart Selector is on layer 1, just type "1".

Scott
  • So I've been playing with Smart Selector and it is very cool, but I think I may be running into issues.  Does it have trouble with masked layers?  With transparent Layers?  Transfer modes?  I really, really want this product to work.  Please let us know.

Scott
  • I couldn't get this to work at all on a very straight forward but layer-heavy project. No 3D layers, very few pre-comps, just dozens of layers and it wouldn't work at all. Thanks for trying though.
  • This could be superb if this would work with 3D layers too! 
  • I'm about ready to buy this, but there's just too much clicking. Once the effect window with the Smart Selector appears, I just want to click on the crosshair and click in the comp window to find my layer.  Jumping back to the Script Panel and clicking the Find and Select Layer button is an extra step and not intuitive. The tool works great, though.  Please update this if you can.
  • It would be great if you could just right click on the image and see the list of all layers that are under the cursor, just like is done in Photoshop.
  • I agree with Diego Gonzalez and Scott Simmons,
    The last thing I wish to do is fiddle around beyond having set up my layers in a composition. Quickly identifying and editing layers should be easier than this. 

Looking at Compatibility (above), It would seem Smart Selector hasn't been updated in three years.