• Hi Markus

I have imported my shark data track (see attached) I can open and see the track on the map - but I can not work out how to animate the track through the stroke function. 

Help please

Richard 
    Hey Richard,

plase open a support ticket since I cant find the attachement. I think it is because the current version imports the data as individual point features. The next update will have a function to create a line feature from all the coordinates in the csv/tsv. If you attach the csv to your support ticket i can convert it for you. Sounds like a very interesting usecase!

Best
    Markus
  • Hi,

I am in trouble with path animation. Is there a way to add optical flares with plane path like in the example? I don't understand how to do it.
    If anyone has done it, i would be very happy to have advices.
    Thanks
    Arnaud
  • Hi Markus — I'm looking for details on how to do the Building Extrude. Is this in one of the tutorials? I've combed through all of them and connote find details on this technique. 
    Could you briefly write down the steps necessary? 
    thx! W.
    Hey William, First you'll need to download the building features to you browser. You can check out the user guide tut part 05 to see how this works. Then create a data driven style where the extrusion is driven by the "height" property. Check tut part 05.2 for reference. After this just draw the features with the created style. I'll create a tutorial on the building workflow as soon as I've got some time. Hope that helps till then. Best Markus
    I would find a tutorial on this helpful as well. 
  • Hi, is there a simple way to create a 2.5D effect?
  • Tim Ellis said:
    Hi, is there a simple way to create a 2.5D effect?
    You want a 3D-Landscape or only a flat 2.5D map in space?

• Tim Ellis said:
    Hi, is there a simple way to create a 2.5D effect?
    You want a 3D-Landscape or only a flat 2.5D map in space?

flat 2.5D map. Not 3d with a height map but rendered at a slight angle so markers and shapes can have some depth. I need a controller to control the map in 2.5D.
  • Need this for AE CS6. Not working?
  • This is what Tim Ellis wants - tutorial shows how to show map in 2.5D space with economically using tiles:

Possible to update for the latest version? - this is real handy!
    Cheers.
  • HI

I have installed MIr 2 and have reinstalled Geolayers 2 and I do not get the 3D map option when I create a map - how do I get this option?

Thanks 

R

• Need this for AE CS6. Not working?
    Hey Armin,

once you purchase GEOlayers 2 you can get a copy of Version 1 which runs on CS6. Note that it has a loooot less features. Video tutorials are still available on out vimeo channel.

HI

I have installed MIr 2 and have reinstalled Geolayers 2 and I do not get the 3D map option when I create a map - how do I get this option?

Thanks 

R
    Hey Richard,

If you don't see the option Trapcode Mir 2 is not recognized to be installed. There is a workaround though. Please open a support ticket and we'll guide you.

Best
    Markus

Tim Ellis said:
    flat 2.5D map. Not 3d with a height map but rendered at a slight angle so markers and shapes can have some depth. I need a controller to control the map in 2.5D.
    Hey Tim,

you would just need to make the Mapcomp layer a 3D layer. Then you can rotate it on its x-Axis or use a camera layer. Markers and overlays snap perfectly to it in 3D space too. The tutorial Jason posted is a technique that helps keeping your the amount of tiles needed for the map relatively low.

Best
    Markus
  • Why does it default to Mount Blanc every time I go to make a 3D landscape and how do I change the location?  Trying to do one for Everest.
  • Why does it default to Mount Blanc every time I go to make a 3D landscape and how do I change the location?  Trying to do one for Everest.
    Oh it doesn't default to Mt Blanc. What you see is Innsbruck. You can simply type any place to the search and click the result to jump to it. A common point that confuses users is that they only see black sometimes. In this case please zoom out till you see the landscape again. It happens when Mountains are that high that the Mir/Plexus/FreeForm layer is displaced so much that it is behind the camera. 

Check out this video from 1:30

Best
    Markus
  • I,

Since this morning all my anlyzes ar failled... It was working yesterday and today I can't do anything because all is failled...
  • I,

Since this morning all my anlyzes ar failled... It was working yesterday and today I can't do anything because all is failled...
    Could you please open a support-ticket.
  • I,
    is it possible to do a simple 2d rotation ? I see only position and scale...
  • I,

is it possible to do a simple 2d rotation ? I see only position and scale...
    Yes, you can do the rotation by animating the mapcomp rotation direct in after effects. GEOlayers has no control for map rotation.
    Best

• Hey there,
        I am currently using this at work, and whenever I load the map ID from a stylized map from mapbox, it is showing up blank. 
    I followed all step by step instructions. Is this a common problem?
    Thanks!

EDIT - Your USERNAME is CASE SENSITIVE!
  • Hey there,

I am currently using this at work, and whenever I load the map ID from a stylized map from mapbox, it is showing up blank. 
    I followed all step by step instructions. Is this a common problem?
    Thanks!

Hey Brian, no it is no common problem. Can you see a map using the mapbox default map ids you can find in the dropdown? If not please double check username and access token. If that still doesn't work please open a support ticket and we'll figure out what's wrong.
    Best
    Markus
  • Filed a support ticket on 6/9, but haven't heard from anyone.  Plugin won't open at all any more.  I'm in the middle of a project and would like to resolve this ASAP.
  • Filed a support ticket on 6/9, but haven't heard from anyone.  Plugin won't open at all any more.  I'm in the middle of a project and would like to resolve this ASAP.
    You opened the ticket over the weekend, please be patient, someone will get back to you soon.
  • How do I get and extrude building data? The only things that show up when I "download features for current view" are boundaries, places, transit, water, roads, earth, and landuse.
  • How do I get and extrude building data? The only things that show up when I "download features for current view" are boundaries, places, transit, water, roads, earth, and landuse.

Have a look at the video. Note that you can right or long-click the "download features for current view" button to choose the layers you need.

Best
    Markus
  • Hello,

how to make geolayer in 3D with a simple mappe in shapelayer (water, streat...) with no extrusion ?

Thank you
  • Hello,

how to make geolayer in 3D with a simple mappe in shapelayer (water, streat...) with no extrusion ?

Thank you
    Hi Fabrice,

simply make the mapcomp a 3D layer in AE and rotate it. To very quickly create custom mapstyles have a look at the mapstack API:

Best
    Markus
  • I see this lastest video : 

But I have no menu to put on the extrusion in my layet style. I have only color settings.
    Is it a new version of Geolayers ?
  • Sorry, I juste find it...
  • But I have no menu to put on the extrusion in my layet style. I have only color settings.
    Is it a new version of Geolayers ?
    Hey fabrice,

please update to the latest version of GEOlayers 2. We introduced extruded styles in v1.1.0. Before you install the new zxp make sure to remove the last version of GEOlayers 2 with the aescripts ZXP installer if you have problems.

Best
    Markus

Best
    Markus
  • hello,

how to add an independant texte in custom label comp. Not a texte who will take automaticely the name of the town.
  • hello,

how to add an independant texte in custom label comp. Not a texte who will take automaticely the name of the town.
    Hey Fabrice,

simply lock the layer.

Check out the tutorial for creating label templates:

Best
    Markus
  • hello,

I sync my projects using dropbox, and in the process, I lost some tiles - is there a way I can redownload a mapcomps tiles? I see a purge tile button but not sure its doing anything 
  • Sam Ellis said:

hello,

I sync my projects using dropbox, and in the process, I lost some tiles - is there a way I can redownload a mapcomps tiles? I see a purge tile button but not sure its doing anything 
    Hello Sam,
    purge tiles means that all downloaded tiles will be deleted. To load missing tiles / lost tiles again, simple finalize the mapcomp again. This should redownload the lost tiles.
    Best
    Nico
  • Hello,

I'd like to use GeoLayers with Cinema 4D - specifically by taking the tiles that GeoLayers has acquired & restitching them together in Cinema. Right now I can do this manually by hand, but it's difficult because the tiles don't appear to have an easily readable naming convention. I'd like to be able to automate the process if I could - and the easiest way to make that happen would be an orderly naming convention for the tile files.

The best way would be using a UDIM naming convention, which is the industry standard. But in general, any sort of format that allowed us to sort the tiles by name in an orderly fashion would be incredibly helpful. At the moment, it's all over the place - sometimes a tile on the far left will immediately follow a tile from the far right, or one from the top will follow one from the bottom - and trying to make sense of which one should go where can't be done simply by looking at the names. 

A naming convention that could be orderly sorted would be much easier to ingest and apply to a set of tiles in a 3D - and could be automated relatively easily. Right now each tile-material has to be placed by hand on the appropriate spot, essentially by assembling a jigsaw puzzle in 3D - which is challenging for detailed map sets that have lots of tiles. 

Perhaps an  'Export' function could be developed as an alternative to the 'Finalize' function for shots that don't require any animation inside AE, and simply want to acquire map data from a designated region at a certain resolution that can then be exported for use in a 3D app. 

Thanks,
    Luke
  • Hello,

I'd like to use GeoLayers with Cinema 4D - specifically by taking the tiles that GeoLayers has acquired & restitching them together in Cinema. Right now I can do this manually by hand, but it's difficult because the tiles don't appear to have an easily readable naming convention. I'd like to be able to automate the process if I could - and the easiest way to make that happen would be an orderly naming convention for the tile files.

The best way would be using a UDIM naming convention, which is the industry standard. But in general, any sort of format that allowed us to sort the tiles by name in an orderly fashion would be incredibly helpful. At the moment, it's all over the place - sometimes a tile on the far left will immediately follow a tile from the far right, or one from the top will follow one from the bottom - and trying to make sense of which one should go where can't be done simply by looking at the names. 

A naming convention that could be orderly sorted would be much easier to ingest and apply to a set of tiles in a 3D - and could be automated relatively easily. Right now each tile-material has to be placed by hand on the appropriate spot, essentially by assembling a jigsaw puzzle in 3D - which is challenging for detailed map sets that have lots of tiles. 

Perhaps an  'Export' function could be developed as an alternative to the 'Finalize' function for shots that don't require any animation inside AE, and simply want to acquire map data from a designated region at a certain resolution that can then be exported for use in a 3D app. 

Thanks,
    Luke
    Hello Luke,
    thank you for your request. I'll discuss this with Markus. But for now I have some ideas what you can do.
    You can load all tiles and export mapcomp texture as a image from after effects. So you don't have to stitch the tiles in Cinema 4D.
    Hope that helps for now.
    We'll reply a little bit more in detail next days.
    Best
    Nico

• Hello Luke, thank you for your request. I'll discuss this with Markus. But for now I have some ideas what you can do. You can load all tiles and export mapcomp texture as a image from after effects. So you don't have to stitch the tiles in Cinema 4D. Hope that helps for now. We'll reply a little bit more in detail next days. Best Nico
    Hey Nico,

Thanks for the thought - and that's my general plan for now. For large maps that require a lot of camera movement from point-to-point, or ones that require zoom ins and outs, the AE resolution limits can sometimes be hindering.

Thanks again,
    Luke
  • Hi,

I'm wondering if there are night time city light map textures available in Geolayers? Similar to the Nasa visible earth downloads?
  • Hi,

I'm wondering if there are night time city light map textures available in Geolayers? Similar to the Nasa visible earth downloads?
    Hello Richard,

yes there is a server which provides the nasa city lights. Please open a support ticket and I'll send you the server-profile for it.

Best
    Nico
  • Hello
    sorry .. but i have several questions.
    Your plugin is awesome. Version 2 is even greater. 

1)How to build up all geolayers settings (preferences, styles, etc) and save them in network, in order to load them in other network computers, so i dont have to configure them again?

2)How to add that editable google map server profile, in order to choose strokes, styles? 

3) How to add several data at once, like, all states of a country?

4) Theres a USA map data, without Alasca?

5) Theres a way to edit, if any, startup file, where i could load an external texture image or effects, for example, everytime geolayers creates a map in a certain composition?

6) Theres a way to leave a certain style, as a default style?
  • Hello
    sorry .. but i have several questions.
    Your plugin is awesome. Version 2 is even greater. 

1)How to build up all geolayers settings (preferences, styles, etc) and save them in network, in order to load them in other network computers, so i dont have to configure them again?

2)How to add that editable google map server profile, in order to choose strokes, styles? 

3) How to add several data at once, like, all states of a country?

4) Theres a USA map data, without Alasca?

5) Theres a way to edit, if any, startup file, where i could load an external texture image or effects, for example, everytime geolayers creates a map in a certain composition?

6) Theres a way to leave a certain style, as a default style?
    Hey Rodrigo,

1) Prefs, Server Profiles, Styles&Rules are all stored in one file in the local User Directory. There is no way to store it somewhere else at the moment. I'll think about it but I guess it won't be implemented in the near future.

2) Google maps server profiles are not editable. Think of them like an image layer. Editable Styles can be done with Mapbox or the Stamen Mapstack.

3) If you want to draw additional Data to a Mapcomp you should be careful. Drawing tons of Features to Shapelayers will break down AEs performance. It is meant to highlight things on your Mapcomp. You can select a bunge of Features or a whole Feature Collection/File in the Feature browser and draw them at once though. Learn more about the Feature Browser

4) Check out this site you can use .shp, .kml or .geojson format.

5) Best way is to create a simple AE Template Project with a Mapcomp and maybe custom Label Templates inside.

6) In the prefs Server Profile section you can drag and drop the Server Profiles around. The first one in the list will be the default.

Hope that helps!

Best
    Markus
  • Does anyone have a project file I can have to modify? I'm trying to create a map from Los Angeles to Wisconsin. I'm trying to modify they "road to whistler" file from AE Scripts, but I'm not having any luck, but that's exactly how I want my map to look. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated! :) 
  • Brad Low said:
    Does anyone have a project file I can have to modify? I'm trying to create a map from Los Angeles to Wisconsin. I'm trying to modify they "road to whistler" file from AE Scripts, but I'm not having any luck, but that's exactly how I want my map to look. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated! :) 
    Hello Brad,
    Please open a support ticket and we'll send you the project file road to whistler.
    Best
    Nico
  • Hello! Got some (new) questions. 
    1) What about scripting access? Any tips? 
    2) Theres a way to load and/or save all states from a country in separate layers, for example? 
    3) Theres a way to load and/or save a group of shapes to create north, south west, east group states from a country? 
    4) Theres a way to export a user preset, including styles and/or shapes at once?
    5) Some times, when i open GEOLAYERS some screens do not show. Like opening/ import files command, this window goes background . IF i open geolayers settings, this window also goes background. I must to keep clicking geolayers window, in order to other windows show up. This is a bug? ( i may record a video, if you wish. I need an email to send it, if you need it.).
    Thanks anyway. 
  • Hello Rodrigo,

Hello! Got some (new) questions. 
    1) What about scripting access? Any tips? 
    2) Theres a way to load and/or save all states from a country in separate layers, for example? 

3) Theres a way to load and/or save a group of shapes to create north, south west, east group states from a country? 
    4) Theres a way to export a user preset, including styles and/or shapes at once?
    5) Some times, when i open GEOLAYERS some screens do not show. Like opening/ import files command, this window goes background . IF i open geolayers settings, this window also goes background. I must to keep clicking geolayers window, in order to other windows show up. This is a bug? ( i may record a video, if you wish. I need an email to send it, if you need it.).
    Thanks anyway. 
    1) There is no scripting access to GEOlayers 2! What would you like to do if you could access the script via your on code?

2) it depends on the file / data you have. You can activate the option draw on individual layers. GEOlayers will draw the files on seperate layers. You could also save a set of data to a geojson-file.

3) yes you can create folders, sort your features inside these folders and export them as GEOjson.

4) in the actual version not but in the next versions, it is possible to save the styles inside the aeproject.

5) we didn't here about such errors yet, sometimes it takes a while to open the windows but that they are going to open in the background is new to us. Are you working on mac or pc?
    Please open a support-ticket and attach the file there if you want.

Best
    Nico
  • Trying this out ... how can I import a route from a KML file?
    I want to animate the path walked.
  • Trying this out ... how can I import a route from a KML file?
    I want to animate the path walked.
    Hey Ze'ev,

please check out this video

Best
    Markus
  • Just installed on AE 2017 and now AE crashes on loading - how do I uninstall this immediately
  • Just installed on AE 2017 and now AE crashes on loading - how do I uninstall this immediately
    Hi Clare,

clicking the remove button in the aescripts ZXP installer will uninstall the extension. We'd be interested why AE crashes though and would be happy if you report your issue.

Best
    Markus
  • Hi,
    Thanks for quick reply - All was working with AE cc 2017 (upgraded this morning) installed GeoLayers2 then crashes on opening during the 'Loading animation presets' Uninstalled as per your suggestion and its still crashing - any suggestions, I need to finish small project by tonight
  • This sounds like there is something wrong with your After Effects preferences. This can have many reasons.

To restore the default preference settings, press and hold the following keys while the application is starting.

• Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)
    • Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS)
    Read more here

• Hi,Thank you so much for your quick reply. All fixed. Re-installed GeoLayers & no issues - Nervous breakdown officially over!! xx
  • Love the plugin it's actually very good but I'm stuck.  I have a project that places literally thousands of points on a map and I have all the lat & long info, but I can't seem to find a way to load them all without strangling After effects.  Do you have any methods designed to handle about 5000 points of data on a map represented with icons or even simple dots?