• Love immigration, we have three licenses. 2 points:

1. I can't see wmv's (in the filter it is spelled "wvm" - so perhaps it is in the code as well)
    2. The recent file paths list is difficult to read on darker monitor settings (the unhilighted paths)

Thnx
  • 1. Yes that is indeed a typo, you can fix is in the prefs file that is created in the same location as the script file.
    2. What version of AE are you using?  If you are using CS6 there is an update pending that will fix that.
  • I also like the script. But somehow it stopped working for me...
    I've tried it in AE C5.5 and CS6. I'm not able to do a multiple selection. I can only select one file at a time.
    Any idears why it's not able to do a multiple selection?

Kind regards
    Marc Otten
  • Not sure why that is happening but perhaps your prefs are corrupted.  Can you try it with a fresh set of prefs?  The prefs are located here:

▪    (Mac OS) <drive>/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/<version>/Adobe After Effects <version>-x64 Prefs
        ▪    (Windows) <drive>\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects\<version>\Adobe After Effects <version>-x64 Prefs
        ▪    Note: If your After Effects is CS4 or below the prefs file will not have the -x64 in the name

Temporarily move the file to your desktop and AE will create a fresh one on launch.  If it works then you know something was bad with your prefs file.  Keep in mind that all settings will be reset to their defaults.

• Hi Im having trouble seeing PNG sequences suddenly. Not sure why, they all have four digit, leading 0, numbering. EXR sequences load fine.
    Any ideas?

Thanks 
    David
  • Hard to say but I would check the permissions of the files to make sure Immigration can read them.  Also check to see if there are any corrupted files as that could also be an issue.  Lastly check to make sure you don't have any filters turned on in Immigration that might be preventing them from being listed.
  • Hi apologies I've been slow to get back

well it's working now ;) Both with new PNG sequences and also that previous one that refused to be seen earlier.

no corrupted files tho and I don't really use the filters much yet, so Im guessing it must be some permission issue as the files live on a net drive.
    i didn't change any settings anywhere tho so i guess it could just be a temp conflict 

Thanks for your quick help! and also want to say thanks for a great script! once you start using Immigration, life without it suddenly seems quite impossible ;) cheers.david
  • Hi ok it's me again ;)
    well sadly the problem doesn't seem to go away. Everytime I render a PNG sequence to NET drive I can't see the files through the immigration script (while I am able to import them one by one to AE as usual).

The current work-around is that I copy all the multi-pass sequences to the desktop use Immigration to pick them up from there. Delete them again and reconnect to the NET drive version inside AE. 

Clearly this is some permission issue.. but my NET drive settings are read/write for 'Everyone' (which I've promoted through-out the folder hierarchies), so there isn't much more I can do about that I think, if I haven't missed something obvious.

Would you have any advice for what I could do to solve this? or would it be possible to make the script less sensitive to permissions?

I do have the 'let Scripts access and write to network files' checked in AE prefs.

Thanks for any advice! ;)
    Cheers/david 
  • If copying them to the desktop works then you definitely have a permissions issue with your drive.  There is no permissions sensitivity on Immigrations' part so unfortunately I don't think there's much more we can help here.
  • Hi,

Today I needed to work with a lot off sequences so I tried immigration again but still I'm not able to select more then one sequence.
    I've deleted the preference files but that didn't help.
    After importing the sequence with immigration it also switches to replace mode...
    So I have to click on import mode and select each sequence separately. 

kind regards,
    Marc Otten
  • Make sure you don't have anything selected in the Project Panel as this makes Immigration think you want to replace the item.  Btw, the next version of Immigration will be much smarter and won't have this workflow limitation.
  • Hi there Lloyd,

Thanks very much for providing this script.  I use it to help conform commercials cut in FCP and Premiere to DPX sequences for finishing and it's been an absolute life saver.  

Do you have any plans of adding additional search criteria for the Replace feature?  Matching to file names rarely works by itself on the jobs I'm on and I always eventually wind up just batch importing and eye-matching to my reference.  If AE can read in all the metadata on the DPXs, would it be possible to add search fields like reel name and timecode to Replace?  I use Premiere as a finishing timeline and it works great once everything is conformed, but I'm dying for the conform to be closer to the speed of conforming with Smoke, Hiero, Resolve or Speed Grade.  Unfortunately, there's no way to get those timelines, with edit points and handles, into Premiere.

There's a discussion thread on Creative Cow regarding this topic.  I think there's a few users out there who would benefit from this capability:

Thanks again!

Jon
  • Thanks for a great script. Any plans for CS6 compatibility?

Best regards,

Christian
  • The script is not officially supported in CS6 but should work.  Have you tried it?
  • Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, Immigration works fine in CS6!
  • Hey! Love the script, but I have a problem: Whenever I use it to replace an existing old image sequence (png w alpha's) with a new one, it works but it changes my Interpretation settings to Straight Alpha. I've confirmed this a few times, where it'll change Premult settings to Straight, using CS5.

Is this a bug? Can we get a fix? 

Thanks!

-C
  • Immigration simply asks AE to replace the file, the interpretation is being done by AE.  I am pretty sure AE will try to read the file's alpha label and if it is un-labeled it will do whatever you have your AE import prefs set to.
  • Hi Lloyd,

Just did a clean install and reinstalling all plugs and scripts into CS5.5 and got this error on immigration (deux)

'Unable to execute script at line 3919. After Effects error: The section name and key (General Section, Default Import Sequence FPS) could not be found in the preferences.'

Works fine after hitting OK, but any ideas how to nix that?

Thanks.

Dom
  • What version of Immigration did you install?  Please make sure you are running the latest version.
  • Weird that was it. One of those 'thought I had the latest . . ' etc.

Thanks Lloyd.

Dom
  • Nice plugin. But you have a notice there, that sequences must start at frame 0 to be correctly found, but maybe it is an old message? Cuz I just found sequences starting at frame 300
  • Where did you see this notice?  Sequences can start at any number.
  • Hi,
    I have noticed a strange behavior in the way the script classifies the files. The script doesn't always classify them in the alphabetical order from top to bottom, and therefore is random. The files aren't always classifed according to their name and number.
    Have you ever noticed something like that ?

• The files are organized by how they are searched on the server so they will be organized by their folder hierarchy not alphabetical order.  
  • First of all, thank you for answering on such short notice. Second of all, could i send you two screencaps to illustrate my problem because the results of the search on the server don't seem to be classified by the folder hierarchy either. 
  • Sure, just open a support ticket
  • Some comments/questions:
    - Will there be a PP version now that it supports DNG sequences? This script is really really useful for them :)
    - Is there a way to suppress the DNG dialog in AE? It is impossible if you import a 4 day shoot with 300+ DNG sequences and have to mash "return" forever...
    - Is there a way to NOT stop the script if one file can't be imported? It seems to bring the whole thing to an end every time...
  • Some comments/questions:
    - Will there be a PP version now that it supports DNG sequences? This script is really really useful for them :)
    - Is there a way to suppress the DNG dialog in AE? It is impossible if you import a 4 day shoot with 300+ DNG sequences and have to mash "return" forever...
    - Is there a way to NOT stop the script if one file can't be imported? It seems to bring the whole thing to an end every time...
    There are no plans currently for a PP version and we will try to see if there is a way to suppress the DNG dialog.  
  • When I browse for images and my images are labeled in any type of sequence like 01,02,03 etc. The script will import them into the script window as a sequence. Is there any way to avoid this, as I am having a difficult time renaming the images in Bridge in one step. Example I have 28 images then rename to A01, B02 etc. but then after Z26 it lables AA27 and AB28 so I have to re organize in Bridge and manually rename the 27 and 28 to ZA27 and ZB28. 

So to repeat my question how do I tell the script not to put the images into a sequence despite the file names?

Thank you.
  • Immigration is designed to work with sequences so unfortunately there is no way to tell it not to treat sequentially numbered files as sequences.
  • Hi Lloyd,

I have used Immigration successfully for a couple years now. Love it.

It has suddenly stopped working. When I browse a folder it does not find any of my image sequences (even though I can see them in the folder.)

I am running the latest AE CC version, just downloaded and re-installed the latest Immigration script; no filters are on for either image extension or folders. Preferences are set the way they arrive (Sub-folder levels 10.)

What should I try next? Has anyone else had issues recently?

Thanks for the help!
  • Not sure what the issue might be without knowing more details. Is this a default installation? Perhaps try trashing your prefs? Also make sure there are no permission issues with the folders you are scanning. You can also always open a support ticket for direct help, if you do please provide as many details as possible including screenshots. The more detail the more likely we'll be able to help.
  • Thanks for the rapid response during a holiday weekend.

I have submitted a ticket.
  • Hi Loyd,

Ive been using Immigration for find and replacing broken DNG sequences imported into AE from another NLE

Ive noticed some issues,  perhaps it could be looked into, thank you

sometimes the import doesn't clearly recognize my original source material since the import script seems to not see the first two digits of the file sequence in this case "00" so my file would look like this in AE 001000001  but in immigration it would only find 1000001 and not show up as a match

In auto mode it completely gives me wrong matches not sure if its due to the number of digits as explained above in file prefix.

It seems to do a better job syncing when in manual mode - but I don't get the green action icons which confirm sync

Any help would be great, still plan to purchase immigration.

Thanks again
  • Can you open a support ticket and provide screenshots and any other supporting details so that we can take a closer look.
  • Hi,

I use immigration in after effect and I can't imagine working on a production without it. But I am thinking about using Nuke too and I was wondering if you knew of any tool that look like immigration for Nuke. Have you think about creating immigration for Nuke? Or maybe Nuke doesn't need it (I don't know nuke at all for the moment.)
  • I don't use Nuke but I believe it has Immigration-like functionality built natively.
  • seems to be working great but it imports sequences with missing numbers and puts placeholders in places of the missing numbers. normal i can hit import>force alphabetical order it a normal will ignore the missing numbers and import without palceholders. is there a way to have immigration do the same? i have a ton swquences and a ton of them have missing numbers in the squence. any way to have immigration force alphabetical order for each folder?
  • is there a way to take out palceholders of already imported footage?
  • so the plugin is seeing the break in the sequence and it makes it 2 different items but on import it is making a 2 of the same sequence with the gap in the sequence with placeholders in the gap.
  • so the plugin is seeing the break in the sequence and it makes it 2 different items but on import it is making a 2 of the same sequence with the gap in the sequence with placeholders in the gap.
    Immigration does not put placeholders it would import the sequence as separate sequences where ever the break in the sequence is.  This is intended behaviour.  What version of Immigration are you using?
  • i am using 1.41 on after effects CC.

immigration is seeing the gap and is listing the sequences but when i hit import it will import it as a whole twice and have placeholders for missing frames.
  • this script is really great and i have a huge project that i need to complete quickly that this plugin is saving me. if you would like to email me james at shotseeker.com or skype that would be so great! thank you again for you great contribution!
  • i am using 1.41 on after effects CC.

immigration is seeing the gap and is listing the sequences but when i hit import it will import it as a whole twice and have placeholders for missing frames.
    I see, this is an After Effects issue as that is how AE handles sequences with missing frames. Immigration simply tells AE: here's a sequence please import it. AE does all the placeholders stuff. You should be seeing the same behaviour if you import it manually. Having said that we do have a beta version which attempts to work around this problem by importing the incomplete sequences as different footage items.  If this is helpful to you then please open a support ticket and we can get you this beta version.
  • yes iif your importing manually u have the option to "force alphabetical order" this seems to fix it. i will open a ticket
  • ticket made. how will i receive the beta?
  • yes iif your importing manually u have the option to "force alphabetical order" this seems to fix it. i will open a ticket
    Immigration does not support "force alphabetical order" as that is not a normal file sequence workflow.
  • Hi!
    The plugin is a time saver for importing multiple sequences!

Unfortunately since a few weeks, it only imports one file at a time...
    I have to select the second one, click switch to import mode etc...

Is there any way this can be fixed?

Thanks
  • Hi!
    The plugin is a time saver for importing multiple sequences!

Unfortunately since a few weeks, it only imports one file at a time...
    I have to select the second one, click switch to import mode etc...

Is there any way this can be fixed?
    I suspect you might have a file permissions issue going on. Does this happen with a specific file?  Please check to make sure the files are not corrupted and that AE has read permissions.  Try copying them to your desktop as a test to make sure the permissions as not the issue.
  • Hi Lloyd,

There are some UI issues with Immigration in the new After Effects CC 2014 (the sequence information is all greyed out). Is there a fix for this?

Thanks!

Willem