• Thanks for a great script!

I'm getting an 'X' of colored pixels on the layer with Boa. How do I get rid of it?
  • Finally :) thank you! 
  • Glad you like it! ;-)
  • Great plugin:) but... no motion blur... 
  • Not yet... but I'm working on it!
  • Hi everyone,

glad to tell you motion blur is now supported.
    Have fun!

François
  • Great plugin:) but... no motion blur... 
    And now works motion blur!:) thanks a lot:)
  • Hi guys!

A new version is available, with hardware accelerated motion blur (way faster than previous version!)

Have fun,
    François
  • Thanks for a great script!

I'm getting an 'X' of colored pixels on the layer with Boa. How do I get rid of it?
    Same here...
  • Hi!

The "X" will disappear as soon as you register the product.

Cheers,
    François
  • hi…
    it does´t work! every time boa is crushing ae!? …is something incompatible with open cl?!

best regards, ben
  • Hi Ben,

can you open a support ticket and give me details on the crash?

Thanks,
    François
  • Great plugin, loving it so far.  Im on 1.0.5, and I just noticed it doesn't seem to work with the AE camera blur (at least from what I can see when switching it to "on").    Am i missing a hidden button, or is this currently not possible?  I see in the version notes that motion blur support has just recently been added, so im guessing DOF isnt ready yet?
  • Hi Christine,

glad you like it :-)
    Actually, I must admit I didn't even think of supporting it...
    But this is a good idea!
    I'll try to include it in the next update.

Cheers,
    François
  • This look great! Can it work with shape layers?  I can instance a shape layer path into a mask shape path using expressions, but what if the shape layer uses a shape such as an adjustable star not a path?  Look forward to your reply :)
  • Hi James,

unfortunately this is not supported.
    But this script could help you achieve what you want.

Cheers,
    François

• Great plugin, loving it so far.  Im on 1.0.5, and I just noticed it doesn't seem to work with the AE camera blur (at least from what I can see when switching it to "on").    Am i missing a hidden button, or is this currently not possible?  I see in the version notes that motion blur support has just recently been added, so im guessing DOF isnt ready yet?
    Hi Christine,

a new version is available with DOF blur support. It's automatic, no extra button or parameter (like Motion blur)
    The blur is slightly different from AE's blur (on very high values only), cos' AE's DOF rendering is not available to developpers, but the good news is it's faster!

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi Ben,

can you open a support ticket and give me details on the crash?

Thanks,
    François
    Hey, I have allways the same problem on my mac...when i choose the mask in the mask parameters. Is there any conclusion? Thanks...
  • Hi,

can you open a support ticket too? We'll see what's going wrong...

Cheers,
    François
  • This plugin is AMAZING!
  • Glad you like it! :-)
  • Great script - Does it accept 3D masks created from Mask Avenger as a source?
  • Hi Will,

glad you like it!
    You can of course use Mask Avenger with Boa.
    However, a '3D mask' created by Mask Avenger will be used as a 2D mask by Boa (AE's masks are always 2D...).
    It means the mask will have the right shape according to the camera, but if you use Boa in 3D mode, it will compute camera transformation a second time, and that's probably not what you want...
    But Boa lets you set a Z value for each mask vertex, so you can create a 3D mask directly in Boa.
    It is the most convenient if you want a real textured 3D mask.

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi, sorry it is regarding Mask Avenger 2, for some reason I dont see comment box there, only log ing link, when I am actually logged in.

So tried to convert to nulls, but no matter if it is shape or mask always receive this error:

''After Effects error: Can not ‘’set expression’’ with this property, because the property or a parent property is hidden''

Thanks

• Hi,

no worry :-)
    Can you open a support ticket and send me your project (no sources needed)?
    I'll check and see what's going wrong.

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi. I have an issue where the plugin renders the effect in different sizes depending on the preview resolution. Suddenly it looks way off and I have to deliver the project next week. Help!
  • Here is the project
    aep
    aep
    project.aep
    6M
  • Hi. I have an issue where the plugin renders the effect in different sizes depending on the preview resolution. Suddenly it looks way off and I have to deliver the project next week. Help!
    Hi,

I've had a look at your project. I'm not sure the problem comes from preview resolution (though accelerated preview can bug sometimes in AE...)
    The main problem I see is you collapsed the solids you use Boa on, and AE doesn't deal with masks the same way on collapsed or un-collapsed layers.

Hope it helps,
    François
  • I love this plug-in. Besides saving a lot of time, I've been able to create some really unique looks with it. I can't say enough nice things about Boa and all the other plug-ins the Bao creates.
  • Hi there, really cool plugin I must say, trying to animate a hand coming in like yours but having a problem with the hand itself getting distorted along the path. Is there any way to have the arm be the only thing distorted and not have the hand get distorted? 
  • Hi Graham,

there is no way to distort only one part of the footage... One solution would be to use the arm only, and animate the hand separately to follow the path. To do this, you can copy / paste your mask into the position of your hand.
    But what you suggest could be a really cool feature! I'll try to add it to the plugin. It could take a while though... :-)

Cheers,
    François
  • Appreciate the help, I'll try that solution for now it will just take a little longer to sync the two up. 

What I was thinking could be an easy fix (not a coder so this could be way off base) would be to have an option where you can trim the front of the source layer just like you have now with the crop left, right, bottom ect... Instead of trimming it so it's not viewable though just have it viewable and have it follow the rotation and whanot of the path without any of the morphing. Idk, just a thought. 

All in all, really cool plugin again and can't wait for more updates. :) 
  • Hi again Graham,

in fact, the coding was easier than I thought! :-)
    The update will be available in a few minutes.

Hope you'll like it!
  • The update is online. Have fun!
  • Hello Leroy,
    I bought yesterday this very great plugin and a little play around. I noticed when "motion blur" is activated and the plugin runs in 3D mode, the keying of the camera does not rotate the object. As soon as I deactivate "motion blur", everything turns again.
    (newest windows version plugin / actual windows Version AECC / GTX 1070)

Best regards Jörg

(sorry Google translator)
  • Hi Jorg,

thanks for reporting, I'll have a look at it.

Cheers,
    François
  • Hello Leroy,
    I bought yesterday this very great plugin and a little play around. I noticed when "motion blur" is activated and the plugin runs in 3D mode, the keying of the camera does not rotate the object. As soon as I deactivate "motion blur", everything turns again.
    (newest windows version plugin / actual windows Version AECC / GTX 1070)

Best regards Jörg

(sorry Google translator)
    Hi again,

the issue's fixed. You can download the new version.

Cheers,
    François
  • Thank you Leroy,

but sorry - I found a new thing - when all Parameters on standard - when you build a new project, the source would not be displayed, when "motion blur" is off. When you change any parameter or switch "motion blur" to on, the source is on the path.

Best regards Jörg
  • Hi again,

this issue is not related to the motion blur. It is a caching issue, on AE's side. I'm trying to find a work around for a while, but I couldn't fix it yet...
    But I have hope to fix it soon though. Meanwhile, just purge the cache or change any parameter and the render will be OK.

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi, 

Quick question.  Is Boa quick enough to run on multiple layers, let's say 20-40 separate layers in a composition?  I'm animating some pretty lightweight (3-40 KBs each) hand drawn ink strokes to create a "hand-drawn" looking animation.  Wondering if you have come across a threshold where Boa starts to choke up?  Right now I am using the mesh/bezier warp effects to animate the strokes and I'm excited because your plug-in looks like could save me a lot of time on my project!

Thanks much in advance!
    Dimitri
  • Hi Dimitri,

I didn't reach any limit on my side (yet!), but it depends on your machine, not on the plugin itself.
    The plugin renders on GPU, so it will mainly depend on your graphic card.
    If you see a slowdown, you can try reducing the mesh definition.
    But for sure, BOA is much faster than AE's distortion effects (which all run on CPU, except 'Puppet tool').
    The best way is to try it, you'll see how your machine can handle it.
    (Note that if you use the demo version, it will run slightly slower, as the cross watermark is rendered on CPU)

Cheers,
    François
  • Can you use a text layer as a source?
  • Hi Matt,

sure, you can use a text layer, or a shape layer, as a source.
    But just remember that layers like Text or Shape are 'collapsed' layers. So when they're used by any other plugin, they're rendered like they appear in the composition (including their position, scale, etc...). So you may have to adjust the source size and cropping.
    Another way to go is to just precompose your text or shape layer.

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi,

every time I select a mask to start using Boa, After Effects crashes.  I'm using CC2014 (because I love the way it works).

I've updated the plugin to the latest version and still the same problem.  I'm also on a mac 5,1 128GB RAM and a TITAN X GPU.

Thanks,

Billy
  • Hi Billy,

can you open a support ticket?

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi! Thanks for creating such a cool plugin. I was wondering how to use the "Relative to source width" checkbox that appears to be on by default. It seemed as if turning this off would result in a more Cinema 4D-like behavior, where 0 would align the wrapped image's right side to the beginning of the path, but it does not. How would I get the result described in the attached image?
    expectedBehavior.png
    1050 x 500 - 65K
  • Hi Moses,

sorry for the late reply.
    I'm not a C4D user, so I didn't try to copy its behaviour...
    the 'Relative to source width' checkbox will define if the image is still 'inside' the mask, or 'outside' (on your image, 100% is 'outside').
    But it doesn't affect the image's position at start, which is 'inside' at zero.

Sorry, you'll have to play with the percentage parameter to get what you need...

Cheers,
    François
    Hi I'm having the same issue. How was this resolved? Thanks!
  • Hi,

I unfortunately got no feedback.
    The issue is most likely a preview issue. You can try switching off AE's fast draft mode, as it can send bad renders to OpenGL plugins in general (not only Boa).
  • When i open BOA Plugin in solid layer with mask.
    i click Mask1 in Mask parameters tab.
    This message popup.
    Please HELP~!!
    [ After Effects warning: A problem occurred when processing OpenGL commands. ]
    usage : After Effects CS6
    Mac os : 10.8.5