• How did you create the type treatment in your promo video? I ran though each tool to recreate some kind of jiggle and couldn't get it to look anything like what you have. I pre-composed and resized, moved it, and nothing really looked good.
    I've created the title with a mix of several tools :
    For instance, I used the bend deformer for the S, and a mix of Bend + squash &  stretch for other letters. The FX logo uses the Bulge deformer.

All has been done with pure white first, with each element pre-composed and cropped to fit each letter, then the whole comp has been re-used in another main comp to give this "bluish jelly" style (which is basically achieved with bevel style and several layers with different treatments)
  • It is so slow in PSR please fix it
  • It is so slow in PSR please fix it
    I can't fix this kind of things since it is all based on expressions (especially the "ValueAtTime()" function that is known to be a bit slow).
    But I can give you a few tips to help you work better and faster with the tool :
    • add the spring effects only at the end of your project (once all the position, scale and rotation properties have already been keyframed). The secondary animation is the very last step to add some life, so keep in mind that it shouldn't be applied too soon on your project (that will be slower once the springy effects will be applied and this is totally normal and unfixable !)
    • You can disable (remove) the expressions created on position, scale or/and rotation - created by the "Parent constraint" tool - if you don't need some of these property. For instance, most of the time, you'll usually use only the position but not the scale nor the rotation. Removing them will avoid AE to re-calculate 2 new times the expression.
    • Moreover, you can disable the 3D option (little cube icon) automatically applied to your layer with the "Parent constraint", it will apply then only an expression on 1 rotation, and not on 3 X, Y and Z rotations.
    Hopefully, After Effects' developers will make expressions compute faster in future versions. But at the moment, you have to deal with heavy expressions and we - authors - can't do anything to improve this aspect of AE.
    Hope you'll understand and that you'll have some fun with the tool anyway !

• Haven't had time to play much it but prob seems to be fixed. Thx for your reactivity
  • After All this is not working AT All.  Very disappointed indeed.

It creates the expressions with the parent constraint option as well as the 3D, BUT, every time I select the controller ( Null) AE crashes. It says:

"After Effects error: internal verification failure, sorry! { unexpected match name searched for in group}. ( 29::0).

Then I have to restart my PC.

Also, I don't get the animation you show at your promo video.

This started happening to me also, but I didnt have Springy. It started occuring during latest AE update / NVIDIa driver update. The error has something to do with GPU if understood right. I've had random errors with random plugins etc for a while now. Either NVIDIA drivers or AE's latest update has something to do with these. Last time today when I opened project that has worked before my AE started complaining that it couldnt load different plugins that had been used in the project.
  • Twist deformer isn't working for me.
  • Twist deformer isn't working for me.
    I would be happy to help you, but could you open a support ticket and explain your issue as clearly as possible please ?
    Thanks in advance,
    Matthieu
  • Submitted a ticket for support. Just purchased Springy...minutes ago. No expressions, no movement. Thanks for your help with this.
  • I have no idea how to enter code into an xml file. If I need to do that...I will need support to make that happen. Thanks again.

• Submitted a ticket for support. Just purchased Springy...minutes ago. No expressions, no movement. Thanks for your help with this.
    I have no idea how to enter code into an xml file. If I need to do that...I will need support to make that happen. Thanks again.

I have double checked my supports tickets after you sent me your comments, but I don't received any ticket from you !
    Are you sure you have sumitted a ticket for it ?
  • Hi,

I sent a ticket in but I think I know the main issue. From all the information I read here, including the tutorials and such, you are just concentrating on Mac. I have tested the script on 2 PCs and 2 Mac, all under the same firewall, with the same programs and similar specs, and the PCs don't work. Mac works fine.

That's a bummer. Well I hope you can find me a solution... this is the second product in the last month from AEScripts with bugs. Thanks in advance for the help.

E.
  • Howdy! I am trying to use the custom effect with the twist deformer on e3d but I only get as far as the pop up window that says "Which animated property do you want your custom effect to be based on ?" on which I put RY but the plugin is not adding any expressions to the effect. 

Thanks in advance!

Alex

UPDATE: I tried with other properties (PX, PY, PX, SX...) same result
  • Howdy! I am trying to use the custom effect with the twist deformer on e3d but I only get as far as the pop up window that says "Which animated property do you want your custom effect to be based on ?" on which I put RY but the plugin is not adding any expressions to the effect. 

Thanks in advance!

Alex

Hi !

Working with Element3D is a bit tricky, since you want to base your secondary motion onto a 3D property and Element3D is NOT applied on a 3D layer by default.

To make it work, here are the steps :
    1/ first, turn your Element3D layer in 3D (a message pops up but it's not a problem, click OK) ; re-select the "Twist Y" property from the group you want to deform inside Element (select it in the timeline's panel, not in the effect's one) ;
    2/ Then, retry the "Custom effect" from SpringyFX ; now you should see the entire 3D properties like RX, RY and RZ as shown in my screenshot (before that, if you were in 2D, you only had "R" for rotation)
    3/ Go to the "my layer - Spring Constraint CTRL" layer's effects and find the very first option in the "Spring constraint" effect : it's a dropdown list where you have now to choose the Null layer created by Element while clicking on "Create group Null" in "Group Utilities". It should be something like "Group 1 Null" for instance.
    4/ Don't forget to add another value than 0 in the "Element Y Max" slider that has been created on the "my layer - Spring Constraint CTRL" layer or the effect won't be visible at all ! Something like 180 would work.
    5/ animate your "Group 1 Null" 3D layer on its Y rotation (a fast rotation from 0 to 90° on 5 to 10 frames for instance), and you should see the twisting secondary motion.

Capture d’écran 2017-07-18 à 18.20.28.png
    425 x 338 - 40K

Thanks in advance!

Alex

Hi !

Working with Element3D is a bit tricky, since you want to base your secondary motion onto a 3D property and Element3D is NOT applied on a 3D layer by default.

To make it work, here are the steps :
    1/ first, turn your Element3D layer in 3D (a message pops up but it's not a problem, click OK) ; re-select the "Twist Y" property from the group you want to deform inside Element (select it in the timeline's panel, not in the effect's one) ;
    2/ Then, retry the "Custom effect" from SpringyFX ; now you should see the entire 3D properties like RX, RY and RZ as shown in my screenshot (before that, if you were in 2D, you only had "R" for rotation)
    3/ Go to the "my layer - Spring Constraint CTRL" layer's effects and find the very first option in the "Spring constraint" effect : it's a dropdown list where you have now to choose the Null layer created by Element while clicking on "Create group Null" in "Group Utilities". It should be something like "Group 1 Null" for instance.
    4/ Don't forget to add another value than 0 in the "Element Y Max" slider that has been created on the "my layer - Spring Constraint CTRL" layer or the effect won't be visible at all ! Something like 180 would work.
    5/ animate your "Group 1 Null" 3D layer on its Y rotation (a fast rotation from 0 to 90° on 5 to 10 frames for instance), and you should see the twisting secondary motion.

Thank you Mathieu, I finally worked out what the problem was, I followed your instructions and I think I had done it right the first time. The issue is that the group I want to deform is group 2, even if I have selected the Twist deformer for group 2, when I apply your custom deformer, the expression is applied to Twist in group 1, so I copied and pasted the expression to the correct one and it worked.
    It may be because I have a null for group 1 and a null for group 2 but, Null 2 (hair) is a child of Null 1 (head)?

Might be worth trying to replicate, looks like it may be a minor bug. It works perfect now, thanks!
  • I'm on CC 2017.2 for Mac OS Sierra (10.12.5). All the deformers seem to work except for the Parent Constraint, which is the most important for me. The PSR properties of my layer aren't assigned expressions as they should. Help is appreciated. Thanks.
  • I'm on CC 2017.2 for Mac OS Sierra (10.12.5). All the deformers seem to work except for the Parent Constraint, which is the most important for me. The PSR properties of my layer aren't assigned expressions as they should. Help is appreciated. Thanks.
    This is a known issue that is going to be fixed in the next version that will be posted after Aug 15. Sorry for the inconvenince.
    @Adam Finger :
    Hi ! I'm back from holidays.
    In order to help you, I need you to open a support ticket. Can you do so as soon as possible please ?
    Thanks in advance,
    Matthieu
  • Hi, 
    is there an option to try Spring FX without having to buy it?
    It's looks great but first I would prefer to try it.
  • Hi, 
    is there an option to try Spring FX without having to buy it?
    It's looks great but first I would prefer to try it.
    Unfortunately, not.
    There isn't any demo version of Springy FX, you can buy it and, if it really doesn't fit your need or if you are disappointed by the product, you'll be able to ask for a refund.
  • Hi,
    PSR not working on AE CC 2018. Pls fix urgently.
  • Hi,
    PSR not working on AE CC 2018. Pls fix urgently.
    Hey,
    I need you to open a support ticket in order to help you fix this.
    Could you do it as soon as possible please ?
  • I am having an issue that I believe might be due to my not properly understanding the workflow of Springy FX with certain relatively complex situations.  I've watched through the tutorial videos, but still don't see a solution, so I'm hoping Matthieu or someone else here might be able to help.  

I am trying to use the parent constraint in a DUIK rig.  The target is a DUIK bone layer, which is driving a puppet pin.  The target bone layer is unparented, but the other bone layers are parented to the character's hand layer, which is itself the child of an arm hierarchy.  (The effect I'm trying to achieve here is a simple, cartoony banner wave when the character move his arm.) I select the unparented bone layer and then the hand layer and apply the parent constraint.  This creates a set-up where the targeted bone just stays in place and only rotates when the hand itself has rotation keyframes, but all other rotation and all position changes are ignored (because the hand has no keyframes in those places, I presume).  

Is there a solution for working with layers which are children (or grandchildren) within a hierarchy?  I thought perhaps if I assigned the global position and rotation of the hand to a Null object and then used that as the "parent" with Springy FX, it might work, and that does get me a hair closer, but the object is still wildly distorted and not "bouncing" correctly.  I saw the promo examples of using Springy FX with DUIK and had very high hopes, but I'll be darned if I can figure this out.
  • I am having an issue that I believe might be due to my not properly understanding the workflow of Springy FX with certain relatively complex situations.  I've watched through the tutorial videos, but still don't see a solution, so I'm hoping Matthieu or someone else here might be able to help.  

I am trying to use the parent constraint in a DUIK rig.  The target is a DUIK bone layer, which is driving a puppet pin.  The target bone layer is unparented, but the other bone layers are parented to the character's hand layer, which is itself the child of an arm hierarchy.  (The effect I'm trying to achieve here is a simple, cartoony banner wave when the character move his arm.) I select the unparented bone layer and then the hand layer and apply the parent constraint.  This creates a set-up where the targeted bone just stays in place and only rotates when the hand itself has rotation keyframes, but all other rotation and all position changes are ignored (because the hand has no keyframes in those places, I presume).  

Is there a solution for working with layers which are children (or grandchildren) within a hierarchy?  I thought perhaps if I assigned the global position and rotation of the hand to a Null object and then used that as the "parent" with Springy FX, it might work, and that does get me a hair closer, but the object is still wildly distorted and not "bouncing" correctly.  I saw the promo examples of using Springy FX with DUIK and had very high hopes, but I'll be darned if I can figure this out.
    Hello there !

There isn't any "easy" way to deal with complex rigs and hierarchies, but you can still cheat.
    What I would do for this is :
    1. create a new Null layer and rename it for example "Master"
    2. Add an expression to this layer's position :
      myHandLayer.toComp([0,0])
      where myHandLayer represents your character's hand layer (replace this by your own hand layer's name)
    3. Select THIS "Master" null layer as the layer to follow in the "Inherit Motion from" dropdown list, in your Spring Constraint CTRL Layer's effect
    It should work as you want,
    Tell me if it works for you !
  • Hi
    PSR not working on AE CC 2018. Pls fix urgently
  • Merci Matthieu  c'est un plugin incroyable!.  Excuse moi, j'apprends le francais.
    Pouvez vous me conseiller, comment ajouter ressort à la cheveux?
    Je suis en train de utiliser Joystick pour bouger la tete .

I don't think I can attach it to individual vertices in the hair.. so it is most likely a distort effect.
    I just want the base of the hair and front bangs to sway when head is moved left right up down.
    Just a suggestion as to what technique you might use.. there is the front hair and back hair.
    merci en avance!

update: I see in CC2018 we can assign vertices to nulls... but the expressions are cancel when I link to joystick
    ma character... image

• Hi
    PSR not working on AE CC 2018. Pls fix urgently
    This is a well known issue : for some weird reasons, the pseudo-effects installer doesn't work on your machine, so you have to manually install the missing pseudo-effects.

You'll find the code to copy/paste and the whole technical explanation at the very bottom of the product's description page (beginning by an orange link called "Springy Pseudo FX - XML code (only for those who can not use the regular Pseudo effects installer)"

Sorry for that !
    Once the pseudo are correctly installed, you'll be able to use the Parent constraint and Custom deformer as expected.

Matthieu
  • Rob Bach said:
    Merci Matthieu  c'est un plugin incroyable!.  Excuse moi, j'apprends le francais.
    Pouvez vous me conseiller, comment ajouter ressort à la cheveux?
    Je suis en train de utiliser Joystick pour bouger la tete .

I don't think I can attach it to individual vertices in the hair.. so it is most likely a distort effect.
    I just want the base of the hair and front bangs to sway when head is moved left right up down.
    Just a suggestion as to what technique you might use.. there is the front hair and back hair.
    merci en avance!

update: I see in CC2018 we can assign vertices to nulls... but the expressions are cancel when I link to joystick
    ma character... image

Hi !
    No need to use CC 2018 for this purpose, here is what I would do :

1. Precompose your hair layers separately (one precomp for the back hair + one for the front one)
    2. Use the puppet tool to create pins where it is needed, for instance, I would create a few ones at the top of the back hair in order to "fix them" and one at each bottom corner
    3. Same for the front hair precomp, fix the non animated parts of it by creating a few pins, plus one on each bottom part of the locks
    4. Use the "Jiggle deformer" two times, as described in the tutorial, in order to define the pins for both hair precomps that have to be animated (you'll end up with 2 "MyLayer - Spring Constraint CTRL" layers, one for each hair precomp, where you'll find their own pins parameters)
    5. For both "MyLayer - Spring Constraint CTRL" layers, go in their respective first effect called "Spring Constraint CTRL" and choose your JOYSTICK Nul controler that will be animated on its position, as the layer in the "Inherit Motion From" dropdown list.
    You'll probably have to play with the "Jiggling MAX" values for each pin, but it should do the trick !
  • Thank you Matthieu. The technique works well for the back hair.. though in setting up the
    front hair with joystick, I set a series of keys for the vertices  of left right up & down.
    These keys are destroyed if preComped or Springy is applied to Puppet keys.. Trying to think is their a way to
    add secondary spring after one has setup the extreme vertices with Joystick. thanks
    Front hair is keyed to move left right up down...
  • Rob Bach said:
    Thank you Matthieu. The technique works well for the back hair.. though in setting up the
    front hair with joystick, I set a series of keys for the vertices  of left right up & down.
    These keys are destroyed if preComped or Springy is applied to Puppet keys.. Trying to think is their a way to
    add secondary spring after one has setup the extreme vertices with Joystick. thanks
    Front hair is keyed to move left right up down...
    Sorry but actually NO, you can't use Springy FX deformers onto shape layers if they aren't precomposed. So you have to stick with the Joystick and sliders rig for this part of the hair (front).
  • ok, thank you Matthieu! I am beginning to understand the limitations. It is common when setting up for Joystick to alter the vertices or
    if a preComp, to alter the puppet pins to create the 5 extreme postions/shapes. I understand that SpringyFX will just
    use the original placing of the puppet pins only. So I must design with this in mind. I can still use position, scale, rotation.. just not change the shape. I was able to do that as shown here...  Thanks again for a great Script. 

• Hi Matheu. Great script!

• Hi Matthieu,

I just bought SpringyFX and I'm excited to use it, but I'm not able to get the Parent Constraint or Custom Effect to work. I'm using CC 2018, and I followed the instructions to manually add the pseudo effects. My file looks just like the picture, but it just isn't working (all other effects work).

What else can I do to get this working?
  • Hi Matthieu,

I just bought SpringyFX and I'm excited to use it, but I'm not able to get the Parent Constraint or Custom Effect to work. I'm using CC 2018, and I followed the instructions to manually add the pseudo effects. My file looks just like the picture, but it just isn't working (all other effects work).

What else can I do to get this working?
    Hi Craig !
    This is due to a wrong installation of the pseudo-effects (it is a well known issue so sorry for that, you didn't do anything wrong, this is the installer's fault).
    In order to make it work, you just need to do a "manual installation", as described at the bottom of the product's "description" page, where you'll find an orange link that says "Springy Pseudo FX - XML code (only for those who can not use the regular Pseudo effects installer)"

Could you try it by yourself (just read the instructions below the orange link) ?
    If you don't manage to do it, I will ask you to open a support ticket to help you fix it.

Matthieu

• Salut Mathieu,
    I am on PC, I did my best to follow your instructions, but I can't get into that place as it show s on mac, where you choose everyone, etc..  I can't find it.  I was on mac previously and Springy worked fine.  Now I install, close down, do the ui panels placing, and when I launch springy I get this:

unable to execute script at line 11. undefined is not an object

Why is this so complicated?  Or, can you uncomplicate it please?

mille mercis.

Warren
  • Salut Mathieu,
    I am on PC, I did my best to follow your instructions, but I can't get into that place as it show s on mac, where you choose everyone, etc..  I can't find it.  I was on mac previously and Springy worked fine.  Now I install, close down, do the ui panels placing, and when I launch springy I get this:

mille mercis.

Warren
    Sorry for the installation issues, they were all caused by the pseudo-effect installer from 1.0.4 version !
    Now it has been fixed, so, please re-download the latest 1.0.5 version of Springy FX and launch the Springy PE installer via AfterEffects > File > Run script to install the needed effects properly (you do not need to re-install all the other stuff, just use the new PE installer)
  • Salut Mathieu,

mille mercis.

Warren
    Sorry for the installation issues, they were all caused by the pseudo-effect installer from 1.0.4 version !
    Now it has been fixed, so, please re-download the latest 1.0.5 version of Springy FX and launch the Springy PE installer via AfterEffects > File > Run script to install the needed effects properly (you do not need to re-install all the other stuff, just use the new PE installer)
    Hi Matthieu,
    how do I uninstall the previous version?  When I run the installer script, it says Springy is already installed.  I did delete them from the folders but that doesn't work.

merci!

Warren
  • Salut Mathieu,

mille mercis.

Warren
    Hi Matthieu,
    how do I uninstall the previous version?  When I run the installer script, it says Springy is already installed.  I did delete them from the folders but that doesn't work.

merci!

Warren
    Could you open a support ticket instead please ?
    I will do my best to help you with that but comments aren't the place to explain technical things.
    Thanks in advance,
    Matthieu
  • Salut Mathieu,

mille mercis.

Warren
    Hi Matthieu,

merci!

Warren
    I will do my best to help you with that but comments aren't the place to explain technical things.
    Thanks in advance,
    Matthieu
    J'ai trouve!  Eureka.
    sorry guys, what I find is I was getting this error because I was launching with the AEViewer scripts panel.  It is working, thanks and sorry for that confusion, je vous en demande pardon.  Le bachibazouk que je suis.
  • Quick question:  When updating from v1.0.4 to v1.0.5, is it still necessary to run the SpringyFX - PE Installer first?

• Quick question:  When updating from v1.0.4 to v1.0.5, is it still necessary to run the SpringyFX - PE Installer first?

If you hadn't any issue with the Parent Constraint or Custom effect, you do not event need this new v1.0.5 (this latest one only has a new PE installer that replace the old one, which avoids all the annoying wrong installation of the needed pseudo-effects).
    But in case you HAD some issues with 1.0.4, yes, please just-run the new SpringyFX - PE Installer with AE>File>Run script command and follow the instructions. This is all you have to do since all the other stuff (that I didn't change at all in the newest version) are already installed !
  • Salut Mathieu,

mille mercis.

Warren
    Hi Matthieu,

merci!

Warren
    Thanks in advance,
    Matthieu
    J'ai trouve!  Eureka.
    sorry guys, what I find is I was getting this error because I was launching with the AEViewer scripts panel.  It is working, thanks and sorry for that confusion, je vous en demande pardon.  Le bachibazouk que je suis.
    Glad you made it work :)
  • If you hadn't any issue with the Parent Constraint or Custom effect, you do not event need this new v1.0.5 (this latest one only has a new PE installer that replace the old one, which avoids all the annoying wrong installation of the needed pseudo-effects).
    Great.  Haven't had any issues but wanted to check first.
  • Hello! I have a problem with the Custom Effect. It does not turn out to be the same step in your tutorial. I get the Script Prompt menu to enter the name of your custom control and its default value, separated by a comma? I do not know what to do with this problem, while pressing the Shift key. And tell me. Thank you
  • Hello! I have a problem with the Custom Effect. It does not turn out to be the same step in your tutorial. I get the Script Prompt menu to enter the name of your custom control and its default value, separated by a comma? I do not know what to do with this problem, while pressing the Shift key. And tell me. Thank you
    @Jesus De Nova

I'm not sure if I understood your problem correctly, but ou you can already  try to :
    1. Select the property you want to auto-animate (for example the "reach property" of a "Smear effect" or a "Bend" intensity, IN THE TIMELINE, not in the EFFECT PANEL 
    2. SHIFT-CLICK on the "Custom Effect" tool ; the script should effectively prompt you to enter a custom name and a MAX value, separated by a comma as you said (if not, please explain me which property you try to animate because not all properties can be used for this)
    3. If it is all done properly, another message should pop-up that prompts you to enter a pair of uppercase letters like PX (if you want to base your secondary motion depending of an animated position on the X axis only for example).
    4. You can then animate your layer on its X position and tweak the values of your custom named effect (in your "XXX - Spring Constraint CTRL" layer) in order to achieve the desired effect.

Tell me if it works or if not, please open up a ticket instead.
    Thanks in advance,
    Matthieu
  • Just installed the script, but when i try to use it my after effects 2018, it starts to run really really slow, and when i apply motion blur it screws up. What to do?
  • Just installed the script, but when i try to use it my after effects 2018, it starts to run really really slow, and when i apply motion blur it screws up. What to do?
    @Allan Andersen :

Sorry to hear this, but I can't fix this kind of slowing down issues since it is all based on expressions (especially the "ValueAtTime()" function that is known to be quite slow).
    But I can give you a few tips to help you work better and faster with the tool :
    • add the spring effects only at the end of your project (once all the position, scale and rotation properties have already been keyframed). The secondary animation is the very last step to add some life, so keep in mind that it shouldn't be applied too soon on your project (that will be slower once the springy effects will be applied and this is totally normal and unfixable !)
    • You can disable (remove) the expressions created on position, scale or/and rotation - created by the "Parent constraint" tool - if you don't need some of these property. For instance, most of the time, you'll usually use only the position but not the scale nor the rotation. Removing them will avoid AE to re-calculate 2 new times the expression.
    • Cut the unused parts of the layers (by adjusting their in and outPoints) in the timeline in order for the expressions to be not computed during the whole animation

• Finally, keep in mind that almost all the SpringyFX effects (apart from the Parent Constraint and Custom Effects) are based on the WARP Effect, which isn't taken into account while the native AfterEffects' motion blur is applied... so there isn't event any point to use Motion Blur with Springy FX ! Knowing that, I strongly advise you to DO NOT USE MOTION BLUR in your whole project that uses Springy FX, and to add some motion-blur un post-production with Pixel Force Blur effect or - even better but rather expensive - the Real Smart Motion Blur plugin from Re:visonFX.

Hopefully, After Effects' developers will make expressions compute faster in future versions. But at the moment, you have to deal with heavy expressions and we - authors - can't do anything to improve this aspect of AE.
    Hope you'll understand and that you'll have some fun with the tool anyway !

• Hello! I can not enter to comment from the page of comments of Mograph because I have doubts and I ask you about the product that I have also bought.

How do the clones focus on a spline? I see them off center, and surrounded on the right. By the way, this plugin is fantastic. Thanks in advance.
  • How do the clones focus on a spline? I see them off center, and surrounded on the right. 

> normally, if you have selected a shape layer that has a hand-drawn path or a solid/footage that has a mask on it before clicking the SPLINE CLONER button, it should work perfectly.
    > If your clones seem to be "off" the spline, chances are that your character panel isn't set correctly. Please use EXACTLY the same values in your AE Character Panel than in my attached screenshot while your Cloner layer is selected.  

By the way, this plugin is fantastic. Thanks in advance.
     Thanks for the kind of words ! I'll do my best to publish new cool compatible glyph fonts as soon as possible :)
    characterPanel.png
    219 x 255 - 9K
  • How can I get a trial version?
  • Sorry but there isn't any Trial version for this product.
    If the product doesn't fit your needs, we will be glad to proced a refund for you.

Thanks for your comprehension !