Joystick 'n Sliders
  • Hi,

Is there a way to put joysticks and sliders back to the original comp once you moved them? i see you still can unbind them but i want to be able to fully remove moved joysticks and sliders from a scene. Now you have to delete them and remove the original joystick (that had turned red) and start over again.

Thanks,

kind regards,
    Nils
  • Hi,

Is there a way to put joysticks and sliders back to the original comp once you moved them? i see you still can unbind them but i want to be able to fully remove moved joysticks and sliders from a scene. Now you have to delete them and remove the original joystick (that had turned red) and start over again.

Thanks,

kind regards,
    Nils
    Hi nils,
    If you've updated to the latest version, version 1.5 there is a new function called Move to Child.This moves your controller back to its original composition.
  • Hey! 

The legacy UI doesn't change anything in the latest AE version (14.2) and these rounded buttons with gray stroke are very ugly. 
    Can you please update it? 

Thank you!

• Hey! 

The legacy UI doesn't change anything in the latest AE version (14.2) and these rounded buttons with gray stroke are very ugly. 

Thank you!

I'll have to point the finger at Adobe for this one. 
    There's nothing I can do about the shapes of these scriptUI buttons.
  • Hey! 

Thank you!

If you switch to Legacy UI, close the panel, then reopen it, you'll see the UI that you're used to with rectangular buttons.
  • Hello! Any After Effects CS6 users should update to the current versions 1.5.1. I've fixed some bugs that were introduced in v_1.5 that were causing crashes only in CS6. Should be no noticeable difference for CC and up users.
  • Guys. Just a quick FYI. If your exported Bodymovin' JSON gives you errors and doesn't play, remove the Joystick controller back from parent to the child comp. Solves it right away. Cheers!
  • Hi Mike!

Juat started with this awesome stuff! I'm having a little problem, hope you can help me find a way out. I rigged a head just like on the "path shape rigging with real-time feedback", I followed the first technic that you show there. Everything seem to be fine, if I move the joystick to the left/right the head shape is fine but if I move it to the top it shows me the extreme right shape all the way up, it's until I get to the square limit it shows the extreme top shape, the same happens when I move the joystick to the bottom, any idea of what could be going on? The eyes, mouth, eyebrows, nose and ears are moving fine, the only problem is the shape of the head.

Thanks Mike!
  • Hi Mike!

Juat started with this awesome stuff! I'm having a little problem, hope you can help me find a way out. I rigged a head just like on the "path shape rigging with real-time feedback", I followed the first technic that you show there. Everything seem to be fine, if I move the joystick to the left/right the head shape is fine but if I move it to the top it shows me the extreme right shape all the way up, it's until I get to the square limit it shows the extreme top shape, the same happens when I move the joystick to the bottom, any idea of what could be going on? The eyes, mouth, eyebrows, nose and ears are moving fine, the only problem is the shape of the head.

Thanks Mike!

Hello! The time remapping technique in that tutorial allows only left-right OR up-down shape tweening, but not both. You will want to rig copies of your origin pose to your up-down extremes. You can try other properties like position or scaling to create up-down poses.
  • Hi Mike!

I have tried to make head rig like you did. But when I'm connecting a shape (path keyframes) to the joystick nothing happens.
    even when i am pressing  the reload button when the layer control is selected.
    I use updated adobe cc, with the latest version of joystick & sliders.

• Hi Mike!

I have tried to make head rig like you did. But when I'm connecting a shape (path keyframes) to the joystick nothing happens.
    even when i am pressing  the reload button when the layer control is selected.
    I use updated adobe cc, with the latest version of joystick & sliders.

Hi elad,
    Can you fill out a support ticket for this? That will allow you to upload an aep file for me to look at and assess what is going wrong.
  • Hi Mike
    Amazing tool and fast support.
    Thank you
  • I'm trying to make a slider to control eyebrows.  The brow is a shape layer.  I used the puppet pin to place a pin in the middle and at each end of the brow.  Then used DUIK to create the bones and the guide layers to move them.  On these 3 guide layers I keyframed the first frame, then used copy origin to make 3 additional keyframes.  Then modified second frame with the middle up, the 3rd frame with the left side up, the 4th with the right side up.

I select the 3 guide layers and hit the create new slider tool.  An error pops up that says:

You will need at least two keyframeson each of your selected properties to set up sliders.

I do have that.  I try also selecting the properties (and not just the guide layers) and I get the same error message.  I'm using the latest versions of CC AE and Duik.  What am I doing wrong?

• I think I fixed it. My comp was in a weird frame rate and apparently that was messing it up. Is it a requirement that the comp be 29.97 in order to work?
  • I have completed my first rig using JnS and love it! My only question is in regards to using the rig across multiple shots. How is this achieved? Can I have multiple shots (comps) per AE project? I haven't been able to figure this out. I can resort to one AE project per shot, but would love it if it wasn't necessary. Any help would be appreciated. 
  • I have completed my first rig using JnS and love it! My only question is in regards to using the rig across multiple shots. How is this achieved? Can I have multiple shots (comps) per AE project? I haven't been able to figure this out. I can resort to one AE project per shot, but would love it if it wasn't necessary. Any help would be appreciated. 
    Hi Danny,
    To use your rig across different shots within the same project, you'll want to make sure your controllers do not live in parent comps. Then create a duplicate of your rig. It's very important that your rig comp has a different name. You should also rename your controllers within your comp to be unique to its duplicate. https://aescripts.com/true-comp-duplicator/ is a useful tool for creating full duplicates.
  • Hi Mike
    Amazing script, thanks.
    Struggling a little with sliders. I select all the layers that have keyframes, choose to make a new slider and it only adds one slider controlling everything. Am I right to think I would get a slider for each layer so I can control left and right eyes/brows separately? 
    I do only have 2 keyframes on each layer. Is there a minimum # of keyframes required for sliders? My eyebrow raises, blinks or pupil size changes really only need to go from one vale to a second.
    Hope you can help
    Cheers
    ~James
  • Hi Mike
    Amazing script, thanks.
    Struggling a little with sliders. I select all the layers that have keyframes, choose to make a new slider and it only adds one slider controlling everything. Am I right to think I would get a slider for each layer so I can control left and right eyes/brows separately? 
    I do only have 2 keyframes on each layer. Is there a minimum # of keyframes required for sliders? My eyebrow raises, blinks or pupil size changes really only need to go from one vale to a second.
    Hope you can help
    Cheers
    ~James
    Hi James,
    Sliders will give you a slider controller for every keyframe/pose beyond your origin pose. It doesn't break your poses down among layers.
    So for 2 keyframes, you should get one slider that controls all layers in unison.
    To break it up between layers, you'd want to do something like this:
    frame 0: layerA and layerB in origin pose.
    frame 1: layerA keyed in new pose, layerB keyed in origin pose.
    frame 2: layerA keyed in origin pose, layerB keyed in new pose.
  • Hi James,
    Sliders will give you a slider controller for every keyframe/pose beyond your origin pose. It doesn't break your poses down among layers.
    So for 2 keyframes, you should get one slider that controls all layers in unison.
    To break it up between layers, you'd want to do something like this:
    frame 0: layerA and layerB in origin pose.
    frame 1: layerA keyed in new pose, layerB keyed in origin pose.
    frame 2: layerA keyed in origin pose, layerB keyed in new pose.
    ahhh! Gotcha. Thanks for the quick reply. Awesome
  • Hello,

The script has work perfect all the time for me but now there are a few Shape layers that won´t update/bake after I click the Update Shape Layers button, works for some of my shape layers but not for all of them. What could be happening?

Thanks!
  • Hello,

The script has work perfect all the time for me but now there are a few Shape layers that won´t update/bake after I click the Update Shape Layers button, works for some of my shape layers but not for all of them. What could be happening?

Thanks!
    Hi Diego,
    This is strange. You can open up a support ticket if you'd like me to take a look at your file. Perhaps those shapes didn't get rigged, or maybe they got connected to different controllers? If you hold ALT when you click Update Pathshapes, it will attempt to update paths for properties connected to all controllers in your comp. Also, check your work area span. It only bakes frames within that time range.
  • Hi, a little update. I moved one of my shape layer higher in the order stack in the timeline and now it baked, but now I have to return it to its place since is the shape of the face and needs to be at the bottom. What could be causing this and is this the only workaround?
    Thanks.

Hello,

Thanks!

• Hi, a little update. I moved one of my shape layer higher in the order stack in the timeline and now it baked, but now I have to return it to its place since is the shape of the face and needs to be at the bottom. What could be causing this and is this the only workaround?
    Thanks.

Hello,

Thanks!

You've got me stumped. You may have discovered a bug. If you can open up a support ticket, I could have a look at what is causing this to happen and fix it. JnS searches through your layers from top to bottom to find bound properties, and apparently one of your layers is disrupting this process.
  • Just submitted the ticket. Thanks for your attention!

Hi, a little update. I moved one of my shape layer higher in the order stack in the timeline and now it baked, but now I have to return it to its place since is the shape of the face and needs to be at the bottom. What could be causing this and is this the only workaround?
    Thanks.

Hello,

Thanks!

You've got me stumped. You may have discovered a bug. If you can open up a support ticket, I could have a look at what is causing this to happen and fix it. JnS searches through your layers from top to bottom to find bound properties, and apparently one of your layers is disrupting this process.

• Was setting up a joystick to help control distortions of 360 footage and found that the Polar Coordinates effect, though keyframed in values from 0 to 100% only output values from 0 to 1% when the Joystick was created.

Help?
  • Was setting up a joystick to help control distortions of 360 footage and found that the Polar Coordinates effect, though keyframed in values from 0 to 100% only output values from 0 to 1% when the Joystick was created.

Help?
    Hi Rick,
    I just did a test and indeed you are right. Most other percentage properties store as values of 0-100, not 0-1. I think this bug may be unique to this effect. As a workaround, in the property's expression change 'joystick(value);" to "joystick(value)*100;"

Help?
    Hi Rick, I just did a test and indeed you are right. Most other percentage properties store as values of 0-100, not 0-1. I think this bug may be unique to this effect. As a workaround, in the property's expression change 'joystick(value);" to "joystick(value)*100;"
    Thanks Mike. I'll give that a shot. Love the script, BTW.
  • Hi

I'm currently rigging rotation animation for feet on a character using a UI slider, the slider succeeds for one foot but when I create a slider for the second foot it assigns a slider for both of them.

I've tried duplicating the layer, renaming it, naming it something different, creating it as a vector shape from layer, nothing seems to work.

Whenever I try to get a UI slider for the second foot it starts controlling both of them at the same time.

Could you please advise?
  • Hi

I'm currently rigging rotation animation for feet on a character using a UI slider, the slider succeeds for one foot but when I create a slider for the second foot it assigns a slider for both of them.

I've tried duplicating the layer, renaming it, naming it something different, creating it as a vector shape from layer, nothing seems to work.

Whenever I try to get a UI slider for the second foot it starts controlling both of them at the same time.

Could you please advise?
    Hey Charles,
    Can you open up a support ticket for this? That will allow you to upload an aep for me to better understand what the problem is.
  • Hello,

no matter what I try I can't get paths to work with a joystick or slider. I keyframe it out, create the joystick then click on the paths button. It creates the keyframes across the timeline but the joystick doesn't move anything. Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug? I'm on cc2017

cheers, Dave
  • Hello,

no matter what I try I can't get paths to work with a joystick or slider. I keyframe it out, create the joystick then click on the paths button. It creates the keyframes across the timeline but the joystick doesn't move anything. Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug? I'm on cc2017

cheers, Dave
    Hi David,
    Are you animating the joystick before baking your keyframes? If you bake keys immediately after creating your joystick before you've added any motion, you won't see any result. Click Update pathshapes after moving your joystick to see the correct result. If you're still having problems, please open a support ticket.
    -Mike O
  • Hello,

cheers, Dave
    Hi David,
    Are you animating the joystick before baking your keyframes? If you bake keys immediately after creating your joystick before you've added any motion, you won't see any result. Click Update pathshapes after moving your joystick to see the correct result. If you're still having problems, please open a support ticket.
    -Mike O
    Thank you! it was all my bad. This is a fantastic plugin

Cheers, David
  • Here's another random exclamation of how much I LOVE this plugin!

I also had no idea there was an updated version ... did I miss an email?
  • Hi! Great plugin! Just noticed that the latest update to AE brings expression access to mask and shape points - "Link masks and shape points to other masks, shapes, or layers with expressions without animating frame by frame. Work with one or multiple points and control handles, and apply new data-driven features." Will this eliminate the need to bake keyframes to animate paths in shape layers? 
  • Hi! Great plugin! Just noticed that the latest update to AE brings expression access to mask and shape points - "Link masks and shape points to other masks, shapes, or layers with expressions without animating frame by frame. Work with one or multiple points and control handles, and apply new data-driven features." Will this eliminate the need to bake keyframes to animate paths in shape layers? 
    Yes, update to Joysticks 'n Sliders version 1.6 and run it in CC 2018. You will be pleased. No more path shape baking.

• Has anyone experienced Joysticks 'n Sliders running very slow, when dealing with shape layers ?

I am running on a very fast MAC, and AE is having trouble even moving shapes or the joyStick around, when they are associated with the joysticks.

I only have about 8 layers and 2 of them use path (shape) controls, it is painfully slow, and I can't even get a preview at actual fps to tweak the control. I have to render it to actually see what the motion looks like. Is there a trick to prevent this ?
  • Has anyone experienced Joysticks 'n Sliders running very slow, when dealing with shape layers ?

I am running on a very fast MAC, and AE is having trouble even moving shapes or the joyStick around, when they are associated with the joysticks.

I only have about 8 layers and 2 of them use path (shape) controls, it is painfully slow, and I can't even get a preview at actual fps to tweak the control. I have to render it to actually see what the motion looks like. Is there a trick to prevent this ?
    Real-time shape rigging is brand new to After Effects, and it does get bogged down pretty quickly. When you rig a path with Joysticks 'n Sliders, it interpolates every vertex and in/out tangent as if each were its own property. Keeping your shapes simple and fewer in number will speed things up. 
  • Hello there Mike! Joystick 'n Sliders are awesome! really love it and I have two questions about sliders (I really still didn't figured out exactly how to work with them)

1 - I don`t know what I am doing wrong, but, when I choose one property and create a slider for it, it creates two nulls for one property, what am I missing here?

2 - Is it possible for me to create a slider that only that snaps to round numbers along its path?

thanks!
  • Hello there Mike! Joystick 'n Sliders are awesome! really love it and I have two questions about sliders (I really still didn't figured out exactly how to work with them)

1 - I don`t know what I am doing wrong, but, when I choose one property and create a slider for it, it creates two nulls for one property, what am I missing here?

2 - Is it possible for me to create a slider that only that snaps to round numbers along its path?

thanks!
    Hi Ronaldo,
    1. Slider controls represent a pose, not a property. So if your property is set up with three keyframes : Origin, pose1, pose2
    It will produce two sliders; a slider for each pose. The power of Sliders is that each pose can consist of variations many many properties.

2. I am not clear on your second question. Are you trying to make your slider values only produce integers and not float numbers? You can do that with a little 'Math.round(value)' expression on the slider.
  • Hi! I'm trying to set up a head rig and run into some problems.
    I was hoping to use the Mesh Warp effect to change the base shape of the head as it turns, but Joystics 'n Sliders ignores the mesh warp keyframes.
    Is this the expected behaviour?

• Hi! I'm trying to set up a head rig and am run into some problems.
    I was hoping to use the Mesh Warp effect to change the base shape of the head as it turns, but Joystics 'n Sliders ignores the mesh warp keyframes.
    Is this the expected behaviour?

Mesh warp is a Custom property, meaning it is non-numeric. These properties cannot be controlled with scripts or expressions. Other examples are Curves and Histogram; Props that have their own UI and no numeric output. Try using bezier warp instead?
  • Mesh warp is a Custom property, meaning it is non-numeric. These properties cannot be controlled with scripts or expressions. Other examples are Curves and Histogram; Props that have their own UI and no numeric output. Try using bezier warp instead?
    Ah, thats what I thought. I need more control than the bezier warp offers. Trying to achieve a similar result with puppet tool but its just not ideal. Mesh warp was perfect.
  • Hi, 
    the sliders part is working fine, but when I try to get a launch it, it asks if I put everything in the assets folder; when I try to make a joystick, it says I didn't put one of those jsx in the assets folder, but it is there.  I've removed and replaced, etc. 
    Not sure what the problem is.  
    Just removed it all and reinstalled, restarted, same problem.  Im' on pc, a new one, and before mac, it worked fine on my mac.

help!
    thanks!
    Warren
  • Hi, 
    the sliders part is working fine, but when I try to get a launch it, it asks if I put everything in the assets folder; when I try to make a joystick, it says I didn't put one of those jsx in the assets folder, but it is there.  I've removed and replaced, etc. 
    Just removed it all and reinstalled, restarted, same problem.  Im' on pc, a new one, and before mac, it worked fine on my mac.

help!
    thanks!
    Warren
    Hi Warren,
    Your installation folders should look like this on PC:
    I am currently working on an update that will have all files embedded into one jsxbin file.
    JnS_installation.jpg
    748 x 213 - 47K
  • Hi, 

help!
    thanks!
    Warren
    Hi Warren,
    I am currently working on an update that will have all files embedded into one jsxbin file.
    Hi Mike,
    thanks, my folder is just like that.  Should I open a support ticket?  very puzzling.  BTW J n' S is the bomb. thanks
    Warren
  • Yes, please open a support ticket with any additional information you can give. I can't seem to re-create this problem on my end. 
    Hi, 

help!
    thanks!
    Warren
    Hi Warren,
    Hi Mike,
    thanks, my folder is just like that.  Should I open a support ticket?  very puzzling.  BTW J n' S is the bomb. thanks
    Warren

• Yes, please open a support ticket with any additional information you can give. I can't seem to re-create this problem on my end. 
    Hi, 

help!
    thanks!
    Warren
    Hi Warren,
    Hi Mike,
    Warren

Hi Mike, 
    I have found the problem.  I was launching using the AEViewer script; when I went back to the window drop down, it worked fine.  I'm afraid I already did a support ticket so I'm not sure how to retract it.  Anyway, lesson learned, in case anyone else has this problem.  Very excited to be using Joystick n sliders, it is a great tool.

thanks 
    Warren
  • Hi,

Is it possible to overlap two sliders that share the same layers ?

Let's say I have a character that is bending down, creating one slider named "bend", then I want her to kick with another slider named "kick". Both sliders use the same leg... and I do not want to split the animation. I want to use her bending down as a loop a few times, and only once does she kick in between, so I can't really combine the kick into the bend.

Right now I have it so that the 'bend' and the 'kick' are two separate comps, and I can split them and piece them together, but as you can see this doesn't create the smoothest animation in most instances. I want to be able to use the 'kick' slider, whenever I'd like throughout the animation, but since it uses the same leg as the 'bend' The position, rotation and other properties are already being controlled by the first 'bend' slider... Is there a way to accomplish this ?

• Hi,

Even though the real time updating of path shapes is very cool in version 1.6, it makes Joysticks n Sliders practically unusable for me. Just a few simple paths really slows After Effects down. So much even that it's practically impossible to use. Is there any way for me to download version 1.5.1 somewhere? That way I can still use it in my rigs and not be bogged down by real time paths updating. I had no problem at all with pushing a button in order to update my paths :)

Thanks!

• Hi,

Even though the real time updating of path shapes is very cool in version 1.6, it makes Joysticks n Sliders practically unusable for me. Just a few simple paths really slows After Effects down. So much even that it's practically impossible to use. Is there any way for me to download version 1.5.1 somewhere? That way I can still use it in my rigs and not be bogged down by real time paths updating. I had no problem at all with pushing a button in order to update my paths :)

Thanks!
    You can still use the update pathshapes button in version 1.6. When you do that, the expressions will follow the baked keys instead of giving you the real-time feedback. You rig should then perform as quickly as it did working in previous JnS versions.