• Can i not overwrite existing keyframes? Im doing a test where i made keyframes with pastiche and then want the balls to drop at the end of the sequence. so i want the dynamic gravity to start from 90frames, but when it creates the keyframes they seem to overwrite the pastiche keys and start waaaaay down in the comp. Is that because it simulates the frames from 0-90 first since the gravity starts from 0?
    How do i solve this?
  • Hi Daniel,

Best practice is to shift your layers of -90frames (so composition t=0 is t=90 of your layers)
    Then run your simulation, then shift your layers back to the original time.
    Does it make sense?
    Cheers,
    Val.
  • Hi,

I just downloaded the trial for OSX and I'm using CC 2018, but the app crashes each time when I hit the render button?

• Also crashes with CC 2017 when hitting the render button (preview works) - using OSX High Sierra
  • Hi Marc,

Newton2 has been successfully test on both CC2018 & CC2017.
    Can you open a support ticket and send us a minimal version of your aep so we can take a look?

Cheers.
    Val.
  • Hi Motion Boutique,

I have a question about objects falling that are contained within a 2D box.

If we have 10 rectangles that are in a box, and some of the rectangles are overlapping, within the box, I am having trouble getting the expected results.

1. The rectangles pop out of the box when Newton first starts, I am assuming because it can't tell that they should be inside or overlapping the box.

2. When the box with the rectangle objects fall and hit the floor, they do not stay contained within the box's sides.

How can I get this to behave like this / Do you have any sample files or a tutorial on this type of behavior ?

• Hi Steve
    Looks like your box is "full". You have to create a space inside. Just create one mask and then a smaller one inside. You'll get your "empty" box.

If your are getting unexpected results in your simuation, try to increase the "sub steps" inside Global Properties panel / Solver.

If you need more assistance, please open a support ticket.

Cheers.
    Val
  • Thanks for the quick response. Yes the box is 'full' because the shapes are overlapping -- but that is intentional. When Newton starts it automatically places my objects in a row without any overlap. Is there any way to keep the overlaps ?

The 'Sub Steps' definitely helps with some things--but not helping to keep my objects overlapped... any tricks to make that happen ?
  • To keep them overlapping, you have to use the "Collision group" in the Body Properties panel / Advanced.

Select only your shapes inside the box, add them to Group B for example, and deselect Group B in "collide with".

That should do the trick.
  • Newton is not crashing but it turns out that it only renders...... 25 frames during the "trial" version???
    How can I "trial" a program when I only can see 25 frames?

• Newton2 trial is fully functional but you cannot export more than 25 frames.
    Full version is not restricted.

Cheers.
    Val.
  • Is it possible to have layers collide into each other one after the other with pauses inbetween?

For example, one object falls, rests for a moment, and then another falls on top of that, but still collides with the first. It seems my layers can only move all at once rather than one after the other.

Thanks,
    Don
  • Hi Don,

You can control when a body enters simulation by moving the inpoint of the layer. This can be also be achieved using kinematic body.

Cheers,
    Charles
  • Hi Don,

You can control when a body enters simulation by moving the inpoint of the layer. This can be also be achieved using kinematic body.

Cheers,
    Charles
    Much appreciated!
  • I keep getting this error. I have CC2018. during install I just changed 7 to an 8 in the install path. C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2018\Support Files\Plug-ins\Newton. It seems to install correctly but I get this every time I load Ae. Any ideas?
    Capture.PNG
    423 x 143 - 11K
  • It will be super-duper great if Newton2 was able to leverage on AE's cache thingy. Newton2's current workflow are such that one sets up Newton2 and then hits the Play Button - for simple setups, the Newton2 Preview is great. However, for complex setups, the Preview is like watching fresh paint dry up. ;-) 

I safely assume, on complex setups, a user will initiate a preview and then go do something else instead of watching fresh paint dry up. So ... it will be great if a user could initiate a preview and then go off to do something else. Should the user return to Newton2 and the RELEVANT frames have been previewed, a Play Previewed/Cached frames button will be nice. 
  • It will be super-duper great if Newton2 was able to leverage on AE's cache thingy. Newton2's current workflow are such that one sets up Newton2 and then hits the Play Button - for simple setups, the Newton2 Preview is great. However, for complex setups, the Preview is like watching fresh paint dry up. ;-) 

I safely assume, on complex setups, a user will initiate a preview and then go do something else instead of watching fresh paint dry up. So ... it will be great if a user could initiate a preview and then go off to do something else. Should the user return to Newton2 and the RELEVANT frames have been previewed, a Play Previewed/Cached frames button will be nice. 
    duly noted :)
  • I'm trying to install Newton on a new laptop running Windows 10 with AE CC 2018. It never shows up in the Composition menu. What should I look for to get it installed?

Thanks.

• I'm trying to install Newton on a new laptop running Windows 10 with AE CC 2018. It never shows up in the Composition menu. What should I look for to get it installed?

Thanks.

Hi Steven,
    Please double check your installation path when using the installer, if N2 still doesn't show up, please open a support ticket.

Cheers.
    Val.

Thanks.

Hi Steven,
    Please double check your installation path when using the installer, if N2 still doesn't show up, please open a support ticket.

Cheers.
    Val.
    Yeah, it created a 2017 folder and was dropping it there. Got it now. Thanks.