HERE YE! Need tips, direction, for pulling off this little look in AE
  • Hey guys.
    THis video has the video melded into the shading and shape of a mock magazine page layout.
    I've created same look in Photoshop but wanting video to match the warping/curvature/shading to pull this off. 
    Some sort of mask/bender combination? any thoughts or tips would be awesome.

• You could use Freeform Pro in AE but I would recommend doing it in a 3D app.  If you wait until CC ships on Monday you can use C4D Lite and a new exciting product we will announce soon to faciliate the workflow between C4D and AE CC.
  • I'd probably just try mesh warp or bezier warp..then some subtle lights. 
  • You could also create a height map of the book using either a 3D app or just Ramp effects in AE, then use the Displacement Map effect on your video.

Looking forward to this new C4D/CC thing! Is this the new Mamoworld tool?
  • Looking forward to this new C4D/CC thing! Is this the new Mamoworld tool?
    Yes.  And good tip on the displacement map.  Since the pages are not turning it could totally do the trick.
  • Nice. Yeah I haven't delved too deep into the 3D app world aside from some basic blender stuff. I'll keep my eyes peeled on the updates and news! Many thanks thus far. I'll test the Displacement map.
    -s
  • Couldn't you use the ray-traced 3d renderer for After Effects to get a close-ish curve on a pre comp containing your video? Then mask off the edges to fit exactly with the page shape.

• Couldn't you use the ray-traced 3d renderer for After Effects to get a close-ish curve on a pre comp containing your video? Then mask off the edges to fit exactly with the page shape.

Another great suggestion!
  • So far my route is using a Magazine model in blender, moving into after effects and E3D, and working it that way. In progress at the moment, got pushed to another project for the next few days before I return. 
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

Couldn't you use the ray-traced 3d renderer for After Effects to get a close-ish curve on a pre comp containing your video? Then mask off the edges to fit exactly with the page shape.

I actually haven't spent to much time with the Ray Traced 3D renderer. Can you do multi curves within a video layer? I thought you could only do a basic curve move.

• I actually haven't spent to much time with the Ray Traced 3D renderer. Can you do multi curves within a video layer? I thought you could only do a basic curve move.
    Yes, you can only do a bend but that's why he said it would be "close-ish".  Just another way to skin the cat.