PuppetTools 3
  • Question. Scaling up or down a character through master null is affecting the pinned area ( makes it small or large ) . is there any way to avoid that? Btw this does not happen when scaling the composition. 
    You kind of answered your own question. Pre-comping is the best way to avoid any weirdness if you need to scale the character.
  • Hey Greg, love the plugin: is there a way (now or in the future) to get Puppet Tools to spit out shapes instead of nulls? I see there's that "pins to solids" checkbox, but it doesn't seem to change the output...?

Basically, my thing is this: I'm trying to use Puppet Tools in conjunction with Newton, for a rag-doll effect. I've had some success with it, but at present it's a little circuitous, because puppet tools spits out nulls, and for some reason even if i add a mask to the null, Newton doesn't seem to accept it (I asked the Newton crew, and they said there's no way for Newton to accept nulls). So, I have to create an intermediary shape to parent the null to, to drive them through newton. So, the whole chain goes something like:

art --> pins --> nulls --> shapes --> newton

Which, as you can imagine, gets pretty unwieldy on even a 5-10 jointed character. Anyway, it would streamline things a lot if I could just get Puppet Tools to spit out shapes instead of nulls; is there a way to do that?

• Hey Greg, love the plugin: is there a way (now or in the future) to get Puppet Tools to spit out shapes instead of nulls? I see there's that "pins to solids" checkbox, but it doesn't seem to change the output...?

Basically, my thing is this: I'm trying to use Puppet Tools in conjunction with Newton, for a rag-doll effect. I've had some success with it, but at present it's a little circuitous, because puppet tools spits out nulls, and for some reason even if i add a mask to the null, Newton doesn't seem to accept it (I asked the Newton crew, and they said there's no way for Newton to accept nulls). So, I have to create an intermediary shape to parent the null to, to drive them through newton. So, the whole chain goes something like:

art --> pins --> nulls --> shapes --> newton

Which, as you can imagine, gets pretty unwieldy on even a 5-10 jointed character. Anyway, it would streamline things a lot if I could just get Puppet Tools to spit out shapes instead of nulls; is there a way to do that?

Hey Thomas,

There's not a way to generate shape layers, but I will add that on my feature request list for future updates to the script.

In the meantime, you can generate solids by having the ”Pins to Solids” checked before you click the “Pins to Nulls” button. Having that enabled will force the script to create solids instead of nulls—if it’s any help.
  • Hello,

I love this tool, I use it every week! I made a few intense rigs for this project, a little breakdown can be seen further down the page.

thanks!

Richard

• Hello,

I love this tool, I use it every week! I made a few intense rigs for this project, a little breakdown can be seen further down the page.

thanks!

Richard

This is rad! Fantastic work, Rich. Thank you for sharing this.
  • Thanks a lot pal! and thanks again for puppet tools! I preach it to my freelancers like it's the gospel.

Greg Gunn said:
    Hello,

thanks!

Richard

This is rad! Fantastic work, Rich. Thank you for sharing this.

• Does Puppet tool work in CC 2015.3 and CC 2017?
    I have been upgrading my after effects and tried to install it, but it doesn't work.

Please help.

Thanks,

Danny
  • Does Puppet tool work in CC 2015.3 and CC 2017?
    I have been upgrading my after effects and tried to install it, but it doesn't work.

Please help.

Thanks,

Danny
    Hey Danny,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble—it should work all the same. If you open a support ticket I can help you figure out what's happening.
  • CC2018?
    Yep! PuppetTools 3 is compatible with CC 2018. And I am working on an update for it that incorporates some of it’s new features into the script :)
  • Another project I've used Puppet tools in extensively.

Thanks Greg! I literally couldn't do this shit without you.
  • Another project I've used Puppet tools in extensively.

Thanks Greg! I literally couldn't do this shit without you.
    I'm always blown away by how much dynamic motion you're able to get with a 2D image. Well done!
  • Does the 3.7 version remove the Layer to Loop functionality?
  • Does the 3.7 version remove the Layer to Loop functionality?
    Yes. I retired the Layer to Loop option. It muddled the UI and there are better options out there.
  • Just kicking the tires with the new 3.7 version. I'm still using CS6 so can't use the vector layer feature directly.  Noticed though that the links under the ? tab give an error in that both say they can't find the specified file.
  • Just kicking the tires with the new 3.7 version. I'm still using CS6 so can't use the vector layer feature directly.  Noticed though that the links under the ? tab give an error in that both say they can't find the specified file.
    Interesting. I'll look into it. CS6 on what OS?
  • Hey Greg,

Win7 Pro, 64-bit.

Since there isn't a CS6 demo scene, I took the assets & ran some tests. With the Arm and hand for example, added 3 pins to the arm, named them & ran Make Controllers. At first, I didn't think it was working; only saw 1 controller.  Waited & then a second appeared & finally the 3rd.  Took 12-15 seconds!  Wasn't able to get anything to work at first though so saved the scene & closed & restarted AE then they worked correctly.  Similar thing with Make IK.
  • Hello!

Here's a couple of shots I made using Puppet tools.

Loving it as ever.
  • Hello!

Here's a couple of shots I made using Puppet tools.

Loving it as ever.
    Always bringing the character animation heat. Nice work, Rich!
  • Just installed PuppetTools 3 for a project and I'm getting something odd, I assume its a bug but not sure.

What I am doing is importing a png file scaling it down then putting pins in it but once I hit Pin to nulls (I rolled back to 3.0 to test) it stretches all the points back to where they would be if I didn't scale the content and distorts it all :/

If I dont scale the content and do the same process it works fine, I could scale it to fit in photoshop etc before importing but I want it to be full size at some points.

Im running CS5.5 on Win7 and I get the same thing with both 3.0 and 3.7.
  • Just installed PuppetTools 3 for a project and I'm getting something odd, I assume its a bug but not sure.

What I am doing is importing a png file scaling it down then putting pins in it but once I hit Pin to nulls (I rolled back to 3.0 to test) it stretches all the points back to where they would be if I didn't scale the content and distorts it all :/

If I dont scale the content and do the same process it works fine, I could scale it to fit in photoshop etc before importing but I want it to be full size at some points.

Im running CS5.5 on Win7 and I get the same thing with both 3.0 and 3.7.
    Hey Jasper,

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with the script! AE’s puppet tool is a fickle beast, so I always recommend leaving scale at 100 and ensuring the continuously rasterize option is disabled for that layer.

You could build your rig at the biggest size you need—in a separate comp—and then scale it down later for each scene.
  • Greg Gunn said:
    Hey Jasper,

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with the script! AE’s puppet tool is a fickle beast, so I always recommend leaving scale at 100 and ensuring the continuously rasterize option is disabled for that layer.

You could build your rig at the biggest size you need—in a separate comp—and then scale it down later for each scene.
    Hey Greg

Cool thanks for the advise and will check the continuous rasterize option settings, I have done that and put everything into pre-comps to keep the scale :)
  • Hi 

LOVE this tool! Awesome work.

Getting curious artifacts from stroke layers. Love some advice. Thanks. Peterimage
  • Hi Peter,

Thanks for picking up the script! AE’s Puppet Tool can get funky sometimes.

Hard to tell what's going without seeing your set up, but if your goal is to animate points along a stroke, I'd start by making a shape layer path (or mask) and then creating controllers for that path.

You should be able to easily animate and control each point while keeping the stroke in tact.
  • I'm having an awesome time using this script on my current job. I've come across an annoying bug though, which might be CC2019 related (I've not tried it in earlier versions). The controller colour picker seems to have issues if I choose a colour which has too much green in it - it creates truncated hex values (only 4 digits are put in the field, and they seem to always be FF00). Has anyone else seen this issue?  It doesn't seem to happen when you choose red or blue controller colours.  This is on OSX 10.13.6 with After Effects 16.0.0
  • I'm having an awesome time using this script on my current job. I've come across an annoying bug though, which might be CC2019 related (I've not tried it in earlier versions). The controller colour picker seems to have issues if I choose a colour which has too much green in it - it creates truncated hex values (only 4 digits are put in the field, and they seem to always be FF00). Has anyone else seen this issue?  It doesn't seem to happen when you choose red or blue controller colours
    Happy to hear the script is helping! It sounds like you might've uncovered a bug, can you submit a support ticket so I can help fix it?
  • Hi, anybody know what happened to the "Layer to loop" function? I can't seem to find it anymore?
  • Hi, anybody know what happened to the "Layer to loop" function? I can't seem to find it anymore?

Hi Bas!

The Layer to Loop function was retired with the last major update to simplify the UX of the script.
  • I downloaded from my AE scripts accountpage and (re)installed Puppet tools after it stopped working a while ago. I have now version 3. I see there is a newer version. How do i obtain the update? This version does not seem to be fully functional.

I'm working in AE 2019. When i select three shape layers (leg) and click create IK it says i can only select nulls. In the video you say you can get IK on layers without pins and nulls ass well.

Also It does not create nulls from shape layer vertices as well.

So i hope to overcome these errors with an update.

Kind regards, Nils
  • I downloaded from my AE scripts accountpage and (re)installed Puppet tools after it stopped working a while ago. I have now version 3. I see there is a newer version. How do i obtain the update? This version does not seem to be fully functional.

I'm working in AE 2019. When i select three shape layers (leg) and click create IK it says i can only select nulls. In the video you say you can get IK on layers without pins and nulls ass well.

Also It does not create nulls from shape layer vertices as well.

So i hope to overcome these errors with an update.

Kind regards, Nils

Hi Nils,

Make sure you have the latest version installed (3.7.4). You can download the latest by logging in to your account and looking at your downloads and licenses.

If you run into any trouble, please open a support ticket and I can help you with it. There is a button with a direct link to the support page in the script options.
  • Thanks, the update works fine!
  • Hi, love the plugin, but I'm having a lot of trouble with NAMING STYLE. No matter what naming I use, I always get an error that says "please include the name "control" in your naming style", even if I have the word control in there. Even if I click "Reset," I get the error message. If I go ahead and make controllers anyway, it names all the controllers: "layer [name of first puppet pin] : 1", "layer [name of first puppet pin] : 2", "layer [name of first puppet pin] : 3" and so on...

I can still muddle through, having to remember that the waist, for example, is actually "layer Neck : 3", etc. but I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong so I can name things properly.
  • Hi there. Has anyone else experienced a problem with this plug-in where it says there is a line problem:

Unable to execute script at line 391. after effects could not convert unicode characters

I have tried installing an older version of After Effects, but the problem reaccures. 

Any advice? Thanks

• Hi there. Has anyone else experienced a problem with this plug-in where it says there is a line problem:

Unable to execute script at line 391. after effects could not convert unicode characters

I have tried installing an older version of After Effects, but the problem reaccures. 

Any advice? Thanks

Please open a support ticket for assistance https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • Hi! Does the plugin work well with the new M1 Apple processors?

Thanks
  • Hi! Does the plugin work well with the new M1 Apple processors?

Thanks
    I don't have a way to test it, but it should. You can download the trial script and test it out.
  • Greg Gunn said:
    Hi! Does the plugin work well with the new M1 Apple processors?

Thanks
    I don't have a way to test it, but it should. You can download the trial script and test it out.
    Thank you!
  • Hi! Is there a way to duplicate a layer with all corresponding controllers? So if my two legs look identical, can I just rig one and duplicate the rig? Rather than going through all the naming and rigging a second time?
  • Hi! Is there a way to duplicate a layer with all corresponding controllers? So if my two legs look identical, can I just rig one and duplicate the rig? Rather than going through all the naming and rigging a second time?
    Hey Andrew,

Not at this time. The expressions applied to each layer are unique so duplicating the layer would lead to some wacky results.
  • Is there any way to set the "realism"? To have the "bend angle" or "stiffness" adjustable? This plugin seems be easier/quicker to use and setup than the plugin RubberHose, but say you have an arm as a single photoshop imported layer, if adding 3 puppet pins and then create controllers and create IK, the bend is very round, is there no way to straighten the bend so it's not as soft/round?
  • Is this going to be updated for AE 2022?
  • Is there any way to set the "realism"? To have the "bend angle" or "stiffness" adjustable? This plugin seems be easier/quicker to use and setup than the plugin RubberHose, but say you have an arm as a single photoshop imported layer, if adding 3 puppet pins and then create controllers and create IK, the bend is very round, is there no way to straighten the bend so it's not as soft/round?
    Good question. Because the script uses AE's native puppet tool to deform, you could try "starching" the bend joint (e.g. elbow, knee) so that there's more curvature to the bend.

You should be able to straighten the limb by pulling the end joint away from the others and then aligning it with the bend joint. The bend is based on distance between the end joint (wrist) and bend joint (elbow) as well as the angle between the two.
  • Is this going to be updated for AE 2022?
    Eventually, yes. In the meantime, if you run into any problems with the script with AE 2022 start a help ticket and we can help you solve them.
  • Does Puppet Tools 3 not work in/for After Effects 2022?! 
  • Duplicating

I found some success in that I could make a duplicate and then manually change the expressions to the new names.

The auto naming of the parts / layers in AE adds a number on the end a '2' to start with and so on.....

So on the new rig, inside any expression on each of the parts, you scroll and find this

Menu Animation > Reveal Properties with Animation <
    reveals expressions.

upperLimb = "L2CalfTop"; 
    lowerLimb = "L2CalfBottom"; 
    extremity = "L2Foot"; 
    effector = "L2Foot IK Ctrl"; 

and change it to the new name, for example
    upperLimb = "L2CalfTop 2"; 
    lowerLimb = "L2CalfBottom 2"; 
    extremity = "L2Foot 2"; 
    effector = "L2Foot IK Ctrl 2";