• Thanks so much for the free plugin guys! I noticed something. When you scale and object with rounded dash selected and dash size set to "0" the dots in the dash to past the corner to make a flat edge. It's pretty minor I am sure. I made an AE project to illustrate what I mean.

Thanks again guys! Cheers!
    Joe
  • Thanks so much.
  • You guys make some cool and useful stuff.  This plugin has got me thinking if anything like the following image can be done.  If not maybe your next idea? :)
  • This is a fantastic plugin! Is it possible to do a fill? Not just in the border, but also the background.
  • You guys make some cool and useful stuff.  This plugin has got me thinking if anything like the following image can be done.  If not maybe your next idea? :)
    Hi Jason

I like your thinking! Did you create the example manually? I might give it a try. 
  • This is a fantastic plugin! Is it possible to do a fill? Not just in the border, but also the background.
    Thanks Zach. That feature is only available in the paid version, TextBox: https://aescripts.com/textbox/

Stay tuned for major updates to both soon!
  • Thanks so much for the free plugin guys! I noticed something. When you scale and object with rounded dash selected and dash size set to "0" the dots in the dash to past the corner to make a flat edge. It's pretty minor I am sure. I made an AE project to illustrate what I mean.

Thanks again guys! Cheers!
    Joe
    Hi Joe

Thanks for that, would you mind sending the project file to [email protected]? Thanks!
  • This plugin is great! Thanks so much. I have one request for you, and that is to add a "stroke" option to draw on the border. I usually do this manually for animations using the stoke plugin over a path. But it would be great to have some options to control how the stroke draws on.

Thanks!
  • This plugin is great! Thanks so much. I have one request for you, and that is to add a "stroke" option to draw on the border. I usually do this manually for animations using the stoke plugin over a path. But it would be great to have some options to control how the stroke draws on.

Thanks!
    Hi Santiago,

Good idea, we'll consider this in a future version. In the meantime you could enable dashes, set the gap to max and animate the dash from 0 to whatever you need and it should give you a similar effect.
  • I also use the "stroke" option to draw the border by extending the paths, and would love to be able to pick a point of origin and then have it draw in one continuous stroke from that point to the final point, rather than having to use dashes and have it all come in together.
  • I also use the "stroke" option to draw the border by extending the paths, and would love to be able to pick a point of origin and then have it draw in one continuous stroke from that point to the final point, rather than having to use dashes and have it all come in together.
    You can kind of do this with the dash feature, but there are two issues. If you want to offset the starting point from the default and set the gap to 1000 to get only one starting point you are not able to complete the shape. Also you always have an inital dot that you have to still do an opacity keyframe to fix.
    You can kind of do this with the dash feature, but there are two issues. If you want to offset the starting point from the default and set the gap to 1000 to get only one starting point you are not able to complete the shape. Also you always have an inital dot that you have to still do an opacity keyframe to fix.
    Yes unfortunately it's a bit of a hack solution. Next update we'll make sure to include a trim paths feature.
  • Hi there,

Thanks for the great plugin. However, I'm having issues while using it within pre-comps. Basically, I need to animate a composition within another composition and need 'continuous rasterising' turned on. Instead of the text border moving with the text and the rest of the composition... It stays still. I've saved a test file which can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytol4wc6urqwj1c/Text%20boarder%20test.aep?dl=1

I'm trying to avoid the process of creating 100 boxes the 'old fashioned' way so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Matt   
  • Hi there,

Thanks for the great plugin. However, I'm having issues while using it within pre-comps. Basically, I need to animate a composition within another composition and need 'continuous rasterising' turned on. Instead of the text border moving with the text and the rest of the composition... It stays still. I've saved a test file which can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytol4wc6urqwj1c/Text%20boarder%20test.aep?dl=1

I'm trying to avoid the process of creating 100 boxes the 'old fashioned' way so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Matt   
    Hi Matt

Apologies for the delay in responding. Thanks for sending through the file. To resolve the issue I'd precomp the text inside TEST. I don't believe there's any other way around that, sorry.
  • Hi,

The border doesn't show when rendering through Adobe Media Encoder CC2019. Anyone with the same problem?

Thanks!
    /Ludwig
  • Hi,

The border doesn't show when rendering through Adobe Media Encoder CC2019. Anyone with the same problem?

Thanks!
    /Ludwig
    Hi Ludwig

I've just tested on CC2019 rendering through AME 2019 and can confirm the border is showing. Could you please submit a support ticket?

Regards,
    James
  • I LOVE this script! It has saved me TONS of time. 

Is there any chance we could get a version of this that can be applied to a layer (i.e. a photo)? 
  • I LOVE this script! It has saved me TONS of time. 

Is there any chance we could get a version of this that can be applied to a layer (i.e. a photo)? 
    Hi Xander

Thanks for your comment. It is possible so I'll consider it when updating TextBorder in the future :)
  • Love the idea behind this plugin. I am somewhat surprised that nobody has requested a simple FILL instead of STROKE option in the comments yet, as far as I can see. Nothing worse than having to animate a solid text box that comes up with the type animation. Did I just overlook this feature or would that be a great addition for the next version? Thanks anyways!!

EDIT
    Just played around a bit more and managed to hack the solid text box using bigger border width, 0 expansion and custom X/Y scale of the box!
  • Love the idea behind this plugin. I am somewhat surprised that nobody has requested a simple FILL instead of STROKE option in the comments yet, as far as I can see. Nothing worse than having to animate a solid text box that comes up with the type animation. Did I just overlook this feature or would that be a great addition for the next version? Thanks anyways!!

EDIT
    Just played around a bit more and managed to hack the solid text box using bigger border width, 0 expansion and custom X/Y scale of the box!
    Hey Miro

Thanks for your comment. We have a plugin designed to do that specifically called TextBox 2, but nice work finding out a ghetto way to do it with TextBorder :D

EDIT
    Hey Miro

Thanks for your comment. We have a plugin designed to do that specifically called TextBox 2, but nice work finding out a ghetto way to do it with TextBorder :D

ohhh haha well, should have done some research beforehand then ;) thanks for the hint!!
  • Hi!
    Am I doing something wrong? 
    I tried to apply it over a text layer and I have the message "AE error: invalid filter (25 :: 3).
    Thanks!
  • Hi!
    Am I doing something wrong? 
    I tried to apply it over a text layer and I have the message "AE error: invalid filter (25 :: 3).
    Thanks!
    Hi Flavia

Hmm that's not good, could you please let me know the file size of your plugin, where it's installed, and your system specs? (Operating system, hardware, AE versions). Thanks.
  • I have tried this version of TextBoard on After Effect 2015 and 2020 but it does not work which Virgin After Effect works well with it.
  • Firstly, thank you for your work on these free scripts. you rock!

Secondly, any idea how to animate in additional text on an existing layer? 
    EG: Hello World with super cool border. I want to add the word BIG between those so it says Hello BOG world and the border expands relatively... 
    Feels like i am missing something fundamental here... 

Thanks for any tips in advance :)
  • already on the plug in folder but still not showing on after effects 2020
  • already on the plug in folder but still not showing on after effects 2020
    Hi Paul
    Could you please try the aescripts manager app and see if it works with that? I can confirm that TextBorder is working on AE 2020 here.
  • Hi,

Thanks!
    /Ludwig
    For any future troubleshooters who came across this post like I did, I encountered this problem with AME2021 and found out that it was due to the text mistakenly being all in subscript. Once it was readjusted, it rendered out fine.
  • Amazing script! 
  • When will this be updated to work with M1 version of AE? Thanks!
  • I was looking for a fill also!!! Sounds like it would be easy but I'm no programmer haha. Nice hack though I'll give it a shot.

Love the idea behind this plugin. I am somewhat surprised that nobody has requested a simple FILL instead of STROKE option in the comments yet, as far as I can see. Nothing worse than having to animate a solid text box that comes up with the type animation. Did I just overlook this feature or would that be a great addition for the next version? Thanks anyways!!

EDIT

• Tom Brink said:
    When will this be updated to work with M1 version of AE? Thanks!
    Hi Tom

It's apple silicon native since v1.1.2 :)
  • I was looking for a fill also!!! Sounds like it would be easy but I'm no programmer haha. Nice hack though I'll give it a shot.

Love the idea behind this plugin. I am somewhat surprised that nobody has requested a simple FILL instead of STROKE option in the comments yet, as far as I can see. Nothing worse than having to animate a solid text box that comes up with the type animation. Did I just overlook this feature or would that be a great addition for the next version? Thanks anyways!!

EDIT

Clever!
  • After installing both Text Border and Thicc Stroke with aescripts + aeplugins MacOS tool, none of the plugins appear in the windows or extensions list in AE v23.2.

I am le sad.
  • After installing both Text Border and Thicc Stroke with aescripts + aeplugins MacOS tool, none of the plugins appear in the windows or extensions list in AE v23.2.

I am le sad.
    Hi Alexander

Both are compatible with AE2023, could you please reinstall and restart AE. Both plugins should be in the effects and presets menu under Plugin Everything.