• Looks great. Unfortunately, the Marker Ramper script is not included in the trial version.
  • Taking Edit Monkey out for a test drive and I had a question.  I wanted to have 4 panels stacked on top of each other sliding into the scene (top to bottom), and I notice that the bottom layer is halfway into the scene at the start.  If you use fade in it's not noticable, but what happens if you don't want fade? Is there a way to have all layers out of the scene to start?
  • Duane, thanks for your great insight. Per the demo and tutorials I suppose that it is quite evident and obvious what the entire script does, so the trial version itself is not necessary.
  • Bob Goad said:
    Taking Edit Monkey out for a test drive and I had a question.  I wanted to have 4 panels stacked on top of each other sliding into the scene (top to bottom), and I notice that the bottom layer is halfway into the scene at the start.  If you use fade in it's not noticable, but what happens if you don't want fade? Is there a way to have all layers out of the scene to start?
    Hey Bob- Great question. 
    Theres an easy solution, but I'm going to give you a bunch of answers in the spirit of enlightenment:

1) Increase the Intensity (easy)

2) Fade (as you mentioned)

3) Shift the Retime layer (if Retime is on) to start at 00:01. This could work if the Style (interpolation doesn't have an ease in

4) Expand your comp widthwise then after the build change it back to the original settling (this is because the initial position of the layer is based on a percentage of the comp size. 

If you want to find out more, check the user manual or the Tips sections.

Hope that helps!
    -oz
  • Oh boy - you two have outdone yourselves with EditMonkey, Dan and Orrin! Absolutely amazing how this saves SO much work and time, and yet comes up with results far better than I could have done manually! And I've only just 'opened the box'. You have put so much work into it.

Thank you, from the whole time-poor mogfx world!

BRILLIANT!

• I can't find MarkerRamper.jsxbin in archive file
  • I can't find MarkerRamper.jsxbin in archive file
    Hey cutman, Marker Ramper is not included in the free trial version.
  • Gary Bird said:

Oh boy - you two have outdone yourselves with EditMonkey, Dan and Orrin! Absolutely amazing how this saves SO much work and time, and yet comes up with results far better than I could have done manually! And I've only just 'opened the box'. You have put so much work into it.

Thank you, from the whole time-poor mogfx world!

BRILLIANT!

Hey Gary- Thank you! 
    We've been developing it for over 6 months and I've been using it on a bunch of projects...helped me out immensely. We hope it does the same for you!

• problem with EditMonkey, this appear when do it
    "selected comp has no layers that EditMonkey can use"
    I have illustration layers (20) After Effect cc april 2018

Hey Remy-
     I'd have to see it (I'm assuming you're not doing something out of the ordinary, like trying to animate 20 adjustment layers or 20 cameras), but make sure the layers aren't 3D prior to the build. EditMonkey will turn them 3D during the build process.

If thats not it, open a support ticket and send me the project so I can take a look .

-oz
  • Thanks for the MonkeyScripts comparison at the bottom of the info page. Still a little cloudy on this: could you clarify differences between EditMonkey and MotionMonkey? Thanks!

All great scripts! 
  • Thanks for the MonkeyScripts comparison at the bottom of the info page. Still a little cloudy on this: could you clarify differences between EditMonkey and MotionMonkey? Thanks!

All great scripts! 
    Jeff- Awesome question...I hate to speak ill of another monkey...they do different things, tho there is some overlap.

MotionMonkey has a lot more options when combining different motions, but it only animates in..and it handles one comp at a time. It only uses layers that you create manually (ai, psd or shapes etc).. ..very useful for a complex logo or multi- layer- based animation.

EditMonkey uses a whole other system that animates and transitions between multiple 'pages' which it creates. Each page can consist of one or hundreds of layers. The contents can generated using the built-in text panel, or use existing layers or video. This means it can create a wide range of projects - especially longform animations like promos, music videos, corporate presenations - really easily. 

I'd download trials of each and play with them...

Really hope that helps...
    -oz
  • Yes. Great! Thanks for the prompt response.

Hey Remy-
     I'd have to see it (I'm assuming you're not doing something out of the ordinary, like trying to animate 20 adjustment layers or 20 cameras), but make sure the layers aren't 3D prior to the build. EditMonkey will turn them 3D during the build process.

If thats not it, open a support ticket and send me the project so I can take a look .

It is probably something very basic, but i made a "DO IT" for some layers (only basic Illustrator layers) but later, i just want to make changes on it. If I remove EM Retime_001 - ans the 2 sub comp at that time the message""selected comp has no layers that EditMonkey can use" appear.

I probably do not know how to remove the effect, How can i do it ?

Hey Remy-

It is probably something very basic, but i made a "DO IT" for some layers (only basic Illustrator layers) but later, i just want to make changes on it. If I remove EM Retime_001 - ans the 2 sub comp at that time the message""selected comp has no layers that EditMonkey can use" appear.

I probably do not know how to remove the effect, How can i do it ?

Hey remy- could you open a support ticket and send over the project? I’d like to check it out...

• I probably do not know how to remove the effect, How can i do it ?
    Remy- you have to build on clean layers - if theres pre-existing expressions on them it'll interfere with what EditMonkey will be putting down. Start with layers in a clean comp and you should be fine. It might be a good idea to set up a master comp and duplicate it, then build off the duplicates. You always have the clean master to go back to just in case.

• First of all - congratulation to your new tool! I love it ;-) 

Question: Is there an option how I can switch off the out animation? I selected "Off" in Motion Out panel and also unchecked the "Fade Out" checkbox ... but there is still some kind of out animation generated ...

Thank you, Ludvik
  • First of all - congratulation to your new tool! I love it ;-) 

Question: Is there an option how I can switch off the out animation? I selected "Off" in Motion Out panel and also unchecked the "Fade Out" checkbox ... but there is still some kind of out animation generated ...

Thank you, Ludvik
    Hi Ludvik- Much thanks!
    There is a "In Only' preset - see if that works for you.
    let me know if you need something else.
  • Hey Orrin,

Does Edit Monkey come with Monkey Suite?

I was thinking about getting the whole Monkey Suite but it doesn't seem like your plugins are updated that frequently. A lot of them haven't been updated since 2016. Would they work with cc 2018?

Also, I wrote some questions on your profile page which I would love if you'd answer.

Thanks
  • You’re right...we usually only update to make sure they work in the latest versions (they all do). Occasionally when we think of or hear from a user a suggestion we like and is doable we’ll add it, but in general Dans code is so complex that any changes would require a total rewrite.

But generally, our philosophy is that we would rather spend our time coming up with new products and rework old ones....
  • Hello
    I have long videos with subtitles and I want to activate an animation to the duration of the every subtitle time of the video. So my guess is that i can use pt_importSubtitles + a script.

I'm searching for the script that can distribute a precomp or text animation or a imported graphic to ALL marker pairs created by pt_importSubtitles on a single layer.
    I want to use all markers pairs stamps (created by pt_importSubtitles) on a one layer as a time placeholders for a precomp or text animation or a imported graphic element.
    I watched a video tutorial on Editmonkey but can get it if Editmonkey can really help for my needs.
    There is a video that explains how to do exactly to sync a precomp or text animation or a imported graphic element across marker pairs on a layer ?
    I suppose that Editmonkey cannot import stamps as markers from a .srt file ?
    I am new to AE. Please help.

• Hello
    I have long videos with subtitles and I want to activate an animation to the duration of the every subtitle time of the video. So my guess is that i can use pt_importSubtitles + a script.

I'm searching for the script that can distribute a precomp or text animation or a imported graphic to ALL marker pairs created by pt_importSubtitles on a single layer.
    I want to use all markers pairs stamps (created by pt_importSubtitles) on a one layer as a time placeholders for a precomp or text animation or a imported graphic element.
    I watched a video tutorial on Editmonkey but can get it if Editmonkey can really help for my needs.
    There is a video that explains how to do exactly to sync a precomp or text animation or a imported graphic element across marker pairs on a layer ?

Hi- I have not used pt_ImportSubtitles, so I'm of no help there...but the marker sync feature on EditMonkey is very simple to use (we've incorporated into most of our monkey scripts since our first - TypeMonkey). The Marker Sync tut is tacked on to the end of the full EditMpnkey tut if you want to check it out. 

All you have to do is create a marker layer that has a marker  at the point where you want to change each subtitle. In the Text Panel,  skip a line inbetween each title.  Just make sure the number of subtitles line up with the number of markers you have, then add one mrkrer for the end, and click Do It.

Download a free trial and check it out...its super simple.

Hope that helps.

-oz
  • I just picked up Edit Monkey & taking him out for first steps. 

Discovered something that I'm not seeing mentioned in the vids nor the pdf though.  Using CS6 and if editing the text in the Text Panel, hitting Enter doesn't add a new line.  Instead, I have to hit Ctrl-Enter.  Bug or Design?  Not a biggy but wanted to mention that.
  • I just picked up Edit Monkey & taking him out for first steps. 

Discovered something that I'm not seeing mentioned in the vids nor the pdf though.  Using CS6 and if editing the text in the Text Panel, hitting Enter doesn't add a new line.  Instead, I have to hit Ctrl-Enter.  Bug or Design?  Not a biggy but wanted to mention that.
    Mark- Thanks for that - we forgot to mention it. 
    I'll add it to the FAQs

Speaking of FAQs - we posted new CleanLayers script that will restore a comp's pre-existing layers to its original settings prior to a build. It won't delete the EditMonkey build, it will just scrub all the expressions off the locked and shy'd layers and make them ready to build again.
  • At what time on the 16th will the sale end?
    All the way thru. Ends at midnight EST (NY Time)
  • Mark- Thanks for that - we forgot to mention it. 
    I'll add it to the FAQs
    Thanks for the mention although t'wasn't necessary.  Did want to mention though that you might add that note in the GUI's Star drop down for the Keyboard commands.
  • I've a project that Edit Monkey seems perfect for but it's telling me that Selected Comp has no layers that it can use. My layers are trimmed audio wav files. Is that an issue or am I simply setting some parameters incorrectly?

I was able to use MarkerRamper to establish markers on a new solid layer and that worked as I wanted. Placed that at the top of a new comp that has 160+ duplicates of my desired trimmed clip that is only 1 frame in duration of a file that's 1 min. long (using just one tick of a clock ticking). I'm trying to create the effect of the spacing between ticks gets shorter & shorter; i.e. the ticks are accelerating. The trimmed clips all have an unnumbered marker at the head.

Is there a way to go about this?

• I've a project that Edit Monkey seems
    perfect for but it's telling me that Selected Comp has no layers that
    it can use. My layers are trimmed audio wav files. Is that an issue
    or am I simply setting some parameters incorrectly?

I was able to use MarkerRamper to
    establish markers on a new solid layer and that worked as I wanted.
    Placed that at the top of a new comp that has 160+ duplicates of my
    desired trimmed clip that is only 1 frame in duration of a file
    that's 1 min. long (using just one tick of a clock ticking). I'm
    trying to create the effect of the spacing between ticks gets shorter
    & shorter; i.e. the ticks are accelerating. The trimmed clips all
    have an unnumbered marker at the head.

Is there a way to go about this?

Hey mark- I think the issue is that EM is looking to apply transformations, and you can’t do that with audio files. The good news is that the workaround is to precomp the audio files (if you have monkeytools, use scene maker to do that).

I cover that in the FAQs
  • If that’s not it, send me the project and I’ll check it out. I’m traveling now so it might be a while to respond.

• Ah, there's the note.  Didn't see that earlier.

I don't have MonkeyTools but will look into precomping. Any plans to have it as a separately available utility, or add to EM?

I've no time crunch on this either fortunetely.  It's one of those things that's taken on a life of it's own.  Seems so simple to do but in practice it isn't.  The effect need to occur over a 2.5 min. duration so not something one wants to do manually.
  • Woo Hoo!  Worked like a champ Orrin.

One question though, what happens to the initial comp?  I guess one should get things set up first then duplicate the comp before running EM.  Haven't tried out CleanLayers script but can it do it's magic in a later session as in after a project is saved, closed & AE is exited?
  • Woo Hoo!  Worked like a champ Orrin.

One question though, what happens to the initial comp?  I guess one should get things set up first then duplicate the comp before running EM.  Haven't tried out CleanLayers script but can it do it's magic in a later session as in after a project is saved, closed & AE is exited?

Nice!
    I think it’s always a good idea to keep a clean comp, but layercleaner should work no matter if it’s an old saved project or not. It the layers are there it’ll clean em.
  • Hello. posted this on your private page.. sorry.

1st things first. Its just insane !

But... i  found a small issue with EM load/save preset function.

If even one of the parameters is left to random (eg. random intensity / layer order etc) once loaded back into the same comp with same layers (clone of the comp )  the randomisation varies.

Can the XML hold that random value from which the movement is recreated .
    This would be ultra if it is fixable otherwise users will have to stick to NON random so saving has a purpose.

• Hello. posted this on your private page.. sorry.

1st things first. Its just insane !

But... i  found a small issue with EM load/save preset function.

If even one of the parameters is left to random (eg. random intensity / layer order etc) once loaded back into the same comp with same layers (clone of the comp )  the randomisation varies.

Can the XML hold that random value from which the movement is recreated .
    This would be ultra if it is fixable otherwise users will have to stick to NON random so saving has a purpose.

Thank you!

I borought up your suggestion to dan and this is his response:
    ‘Random means it’s determined every time you run the script. The script doesn’t keep track of what the random result was the last time you ran it, so there wouldn’t be an easy way to implement something like that.’

Nice idea (along with a random seed option), but space and tech limitations don’t allow for it...but we love feedback and every once in a while we can work it into an update...

Keep me coming!
  • i want it its beautiful
  • Orrin Zucker said:
    Hello

Hi- I have not used pt_ImportSubtitles, so I'm of no help there...but the marker sync feature on EditMonkey is very simple to use (we've incorporated into most of our monkey scripts since our first - TypeMonkey). The Marker Sync tut is tacked on to the end of the full EditMpnkey tut if you want to check it out. 

All you have to do is create a marker layer that has a marker  at the point where you want to change each subtitle. In the Text Panel,  skip a line inbetween each title.  Just make sure the number of subtitles line up with the number of markers you have, then add one mrkrer for the end, and click Do It.

Hope that helps.

-oz
    A beginner clarification pre-sale question .

Monkey bar text for repeated annotation proposes.

А question about combining monkey-text-bar with EditMonkey. I am a complete newbie to After Effects. As you already may know I would like monkey text (monkey-bar text) to activate when time cursor hits the start marker and I want monkey text (monkey-bar) to end when time cursor hits end marker. The problem is that I will have a project with too many marker pairs (timestamps from .srt file imported with pt_importsubtitles) on a layer. I do not know if It would be difficult to copy only one monkey-bar annotation text and paste it within dozens of marker pairs (formerly subtitles timestamps) on a same single layer.

Do I need a MB script or EM script will be sufficient for my needs ?

PS
    Your demo 5 is quite impressive. It wiil be from start to end the making of demo 5 tutorial ?
  • Orrin Zucker said:
    Hello

Hope that helps.

-oz
    A beginner clarification pre-sale question .

Monkey bar text for repeated annotation proposes.

А question about combining monkey-text-bar with EditMonkey. I am a complete newbie to After Effects. As you already may know I would like monkey text (monkey-bar text) to activate when time cursor hits the start marker and I want monkey text (monkey-bar) to end when time cursor hits end marker. The problem is that I will have a project with too many marker pairs (timestamps from .srt file imported with pt_importsubtitles) on a layer. I do not know if It would be difficult to copy only one monkey-bar annotation text and paste it within dozens of marker pairs (formerly subtitles timestamps) on a same single layer.

Do I need a MB script or EM script will be sufficient for my needs ?

PS
    Your demo 5 is quite impressive. It wiil be from start to end the making of demo 5 tutorial ?
    My gut is telling me that EditMonkey would be better for subtitles than MonkeyBars, since EM has a marker sync, which will automatically bring text in and out. MonkeyBars won't do that unless you do it manually. Can you open a support ticket, upload a test project and I can look into it more?

Thanks!
  • Any plans to make Edit Monkey layout the composition based on work area? I like how it is with the other monkeys. 

• Any plans to make Edit Monkey layout the composition based on work area? I like how it is with the other monkeys. 

Hey eric-
    When we originally started working on it, that was the plan. We quickly found out it wasn’t technically possible, since EM basically had to ignore the master- it couldn’t refer to it and look at how long a timeframe it had to fill, them divide it into the number of pages and adjust the hold and animation times accordingly.

But the easy workaround if you had a specific time you needed to hit, is to create a marker sync layer with the same number of markers as pages (+1 for the end), turn on Marker Sync and retime and then you’ll be good to go.

Btw- You can use the Free Marker Ramper script we bundle with EM to help with that- just enter the same number of frames for the min /max numbers to get evenly spaced markers.

You can also stretch or squeeze the marker layer prior to the build if you really need to be exact.

Hope that helps
    Oz
  • Hey Orrin, Hardy again. I picked up some more Monkeys, including Edit Monkey (awesome btw!). I've been trying to setup a support ticket to send you, but I can't seem to do it. A guy from AEscripts has been trying to help me, but he hasn't been much help at all sadly. I have a few questions and am running into a few issues with all the Monkeys I have now, so I was wondering what the best way to contact you would be. I figure it'd be a support ticket, but like I said can't seem to get that to work. Let me know, thanks!
  • Hey Orrin, Hardy again. I picked up some more Monkeys, including Edit
    Monkey (awesome btw!). I've been trying to setup a support ticket to
    send you, but I can't seem to do it. A guy from AEscripts has been
    trying to help me, but he hasn't been much help at all sadly. I have a
    few questions and am running into a few issues with all the Monkeys I
    have now, so I was wondering what the best way to contact you would be. I
    figure it'd be a support ticket, but like I said can't seem to get that
    to work. Let me know, thanks!

Hey Hardy- send me a note through our website- typemonkey.net if u can’t open a ticket
  • Hey guys.

Was rummaging around and umm, regarding the Monkey Tools video indicated here:
    https://aescripts.com/typemonkey/

sort of hearing one thing but seeing elsewise with:

I know it's a bit old now, but any way those who recently picked up EditMonkey might actually getting our apposable thumbs on these so far only mythical Monkey Tools?

Vid says it's free, but when going to the my d/l page at AESripts, they're not listed.

Nor is it listed in the Whats the difference between the Monkeys? chart.

Any particular reason; an oversight perhaps? Or are you withholding treats from the newest monkeys as a teaching process perhaps?  OK then, it's got me curious if that counts.

• Hey guys.

Was rummaging around and umm, regarding the Monkey Tools video indicated here:
    https://aescripts.com/typemonkey/

sort of hearing one thing but seeing elsewise with:

I know it's a bit old now, but any way those who recently picked up EditMonkey might actually getting our apposable thumbs on these so far only mythical Monkey Tools?

Vid says it's free, but when going to the my d/l page at AESripts, they're not listed.

Nor is it listed in the Whats the difference between the Monkeys? chart.

Any particular reason; an oversight perhaps? Or are you withholding treats from the newest monkeys as a teaching process perhaps?  OK then, it's got me curious if that counts.

Mark- 
    this is great question...it actually goes back to the root of our development. 
    When we started, MonkeyTools was developed to make some tasks easier when working with our first two scripts - TypeMonkey and LayerMonkey. We were able to adapt it to MotionMonkey and circus too since there were a lot of things in common (eg- all the layers had their own control layers).
    Then came MonkeyCamPro, MonkeyBars, ShapeMonkey and now EditMonkey, all working very differently than the first 4. Many of the MonkeyTools didnt apply (tho a few still did).
    To avoid confusion for those products we stopped including MonkeyTools with those. MonkeyBars has its own tools included in the UI, and EditMonkey has a couple too (one is actually hidden in the FAQ page if you hunt for it (we try not to make it too easy for you guys).

Hope that makes sense..

-oz
  • Way too late for avoiding confusion I'm afraid. Got this monkey for a particular task actually and it tackled that quite easily so now I'm back-tracking to learn the basics. As such, probably standing right on top of that hidden tool & gazing out at the horizon, or already tripped over it w/o knowing it's special FAQness.

But in any case, it's sounding to me that with the newer items, much of MonkeyTools got sucked into the inner workings and would be superfluous as a separate tool. (Please say that's mostly correct).

I'll play around more with the knobs & levers certainly, and watch the videos a few more times and I'm sure it'll make better sense soon. Any links to sample sources of the bit more complicated examples to play with? Couldn't hurt.

Thanx,

M.

• Hi guys,

Been playing around a bit with Text Panel and noticed some monkeyshines. I was trying to understand the differences between using the check options for Letters, Words and Lines, and the special deliminator characters with the Text Box Keyboard commands for seemingly the same things, and when to use one vs. the other.

I sort of understand & think that's almost what's happening but not quite.

Using the Square Brackets [] is working as advertised. Peachy.

But when using the vert line | and Curly Brackets {}, they seem to be doing what they're suppose to do (I think), but the problem is they're also showing up in my line of text. Ta Da! Cameo!

So here's the question finally, why are [ and ] content with invisibly passing on their special instructions yet { } and | aren't w/o getting in the act?

Was there a memo or secret incantation I missed? Anything else needed to do when clicking those keys?

Not a programmer, but do occasionally look at things a little deeper where & when I can easily and did notice an odd co-incidence. All the misbehaving characters are above decimal 100 whereas the Square Brackets [] are below, namely decimal 93 and 91 respectively. The others use decimal 123, 124, 125. No clue if it's a factor, but is a something to look into I'd think. Two digits vs. three? Some left-over crotchety behavior or appendage of CS6 getting in the way? Perhaps.

• Hi guys,

Been playing around a bit with Text Panel and noticed some monkeyshines. I was trying to understand the differences between using the check options for Letters, Words and Lines, and the special deliminator characters with the Text Box Keyboard commands for seemingly the same things, and when to use one vs. the other.

I sort of understand & think that's almost what's happening but not quite.

Using the Square Brackets [] is working as advertised. Peachy.

But when using the vert line | and Curly Brackets {}, they seem to be doing what they're suppose to do (I think), but the problem is they're also showing up in my line of text. Ta Da! Cameo!

So here's the question finally, why are [ and ] content with invisibly passing on their special instructions yet { } and | aren't w/o getting in the act?

Was there a memo or secret incantation I missed? Anything else needed to do when clicking those keys?

Not a programmer, but do occasionally look at things a little deeper where & when I can easily and did notice an odd co-incidence. All the misbehaving characters are above decimal 100 whereas the Square Brackets [] are below, namely decimal 93 and 91 respectively. The others use decimal 123, 124, 125. No clue if it's a factor, but is a something to look into I'd think. Two digits vs. three? Some left-over crotchety behavior or appendage of CS6 getting in the way? Perhaps.

Hey Mark- 
    The key commands will show up if you're using them with the wrong text break method. 

So [ ] is peachy cause you're using them with letters....but if you were using {} or | with letters then they'll show up...each is designed for only one text break.

Check the Star button for the key commands list.

I think thats the issue at least...let me know if its something else.
  • Ah.  OK.  Still fuzzy on when you'd use what combination though.  I'll play around some more & maybe it'll click.
  • I narrowed the issue down to the || delimiter, but is this bug or operr?

For example, if I used this text:

Here at the Acme Anvil Works

we like| to always give you|

the first one for free,

and when you least expect it!

What I'm getting though is a single |
    showing and all the words between the markers just aren't there.  See image.

Am I misunderstanding something basic with how to use those markers? The others seem to be working as expected.
    When and how (in what mode) are the group words markers used then?
    MonkeyResult with Word piping.jpg
    667 x 394 - 25K
  • I narrowed the issue down to
    the || delimiter, but is this bug or operr?

For example, if I used this text:

Here at the Acme Anvil
    Works

we like| to always give
    you|

the first one for free,

and when you least
    expect it!

What I'm getting though is a single |
    showing and all the words between the markers just aren't there.  See image.

Am I misunderstanding
    something basic with how to use those markers? The others seem to be
    working as expected.
    When and how (in what
    mode) are the group words markers used then?

Hey mark- so comments are more for general stuff...could you open a support ticket and I’ll help you out there?
    Thx