• Hi, forgive me if this was posted somewhere already, but I didn't see anything specifically in the documentation. Is Plexus GPU accelerated? i.e. in the same regard as how Particular is now.
  • Hi, forgive me if this was posted somewhere already, but I didn't see anything specifically in the documentation. Is Plexus GPU accelerated? i.e. in the same regard as how Particular is now.
    Yes. You can enable GPU rendering by turning on Unified Rendering.
  • Do I really have to pay 100 Bugs to get this new Version i don't really need? Plexus 2 was fine for me, but I'm not able to install it on CC2018 anymore.
    Is there a workarround to get Plexus 2 running in CC2018?

Thank you!
    Daniel
  • Hi,

is there any way to import OBJ Vertices colors into Plexus? 

Thank you
    Alessa

• Hi,

Thank you
    Alessa

Currently, it's not possible. Not many 3D programs export 'color' attributes of vertices into OBJ files.
  • Hi,

Thank you
    Alessa

Currently, it's not possible. Not many 3D programs export 'color' attributes of vertices into OBJ files.
    Hi,

i would like to import LIDAR Scan information into Plexus. I found a way to convert LIDAR file to OBJ with colors. I can import this obj file into Plexus but without color. It would be great if i could do it. I hope that this feature will be available soon. 

Thank you
    Alessa
  • Hi,

Thank you
    Alessa

Hi,

i would like to import LIDAR Scan information into Plexus. I found a way to convert LIDAR file to OBJ with colors. I can import this obj file into Plexus but without color. It would be great if i could do it. I hope that this feature will be available soon. 

Thank you
    Alessa
    I can add a feature request. But can you send us a test OBJ file with such color attributes? You can contact us directly - https://www.rowbyte.com/contact
  • What are the limitations of the "TRY" version of this plug in?
  • What are the limitations of the "TRY" version of this plug in?
    The renders are watermarked and the SVG Export is limited. There are no other limitations.
  • Is this compatitble with AE 2019 yet?  I would pay for the upgrade, (own plexus 2) but don't want to unless it works with the latest version of AE.  Thanks.
  • Is this compatitble with AE 2019 yet?  I would pay for the upgrade, (own plexus 2) but don't want to unless it works with the latest version of AE.  Thanks.
    Yes it is compatible with CC 2019.
  • Is there a way to animate Plexus Lines, points, and triangulation along a path?  I want to draw a path in 3D space, and have the plexus effect grow from the start to the end.  I know the beam can be animated from start to end or offset, but I would like to animate the lines and points as if it was populating along the path.
  • Is there a way to animate Plexus Lines, points, and triangulation along a path?  I want to draw a path in 3D space, and have the plexus effect grow from the start to the end.  I know the beam can be animated from start to end or offset, but I would like to animate the lines and points as if it was populating along the path.
    Currently, it's not possible. I'll add it to Feature Requests for future versions.
  • made a music video,  mostly edited in Plexus,  you can check it out here 

In CC 2018 it works great, but it does not work for me in After Effects CC 2019 (v16.0.1 build 48 (iMac Late 2015)). I get the following error:
    After Effects error: P did not initialize max_result_rect in PF_Cmd_SMART_PRE_RENDER ( 25 :: 237)

In CC 2018 it works great, but it does not work for me in After Effects CC 2019 (v16.0.1 build 48 (iMac Late 2015)). I get the following error:
    After Effects error: P did not initialize max_result_rect in PF_Cmd_SMART_PRE_RENDER ( 25 :: 237)

Plexus 2 isn't compatible with CC 2019. But Plexus 3 is compatible with CC 2019.
  • Hello, may I know how to change Blending modes of the triangulation or points in my Plexus 3? I wish to set the Blending Mode Add for the points/triangulations, is it possible? Thank you
  • I have a strange issue with custom sprites instead of the standard points. When I turn on unifiend Rendering (because i need DOF), suddenly all the custom sprites disappear. Is there a workaround for that? Graphics Card is Quadro K5200 with newest driver.

Thanks!
  • I have a strange issue with custom sprites instead of the standard points. When I turn on unifiend Rendering (because i need DOF), suddenly all the custom sprites disappear. Is there a workaround for that? Graphics Card is Quadro K5200 with newest driver.

Thanks!
    Make sure you're running the latest version of Plexus and if you're still having issues contact us directly.

Rowbyte Support
  • Hello,
    Viva Plexus!
    Does anybody have a tip for scaling up (say quadruple) a plexus comp with a camera, without messing up the design? 
    All the scaling scripts I know of, don't work obviously...
    Thanks in advance!
  • Hitting U to reveal animated properties does not work on a Plexus layer (AE 17.0.2)
    I have to find the property in the Effects panel burried somewhere inside Plexus and then right click it and go "Reveal in Timeline".
    This is driving me absolutely nuts :)

Jesper
  • Hitting U to reveal animated properties does not work on a Plexus layer (AE 17.0.2)
    I have to find the property in the Effects panel burried somewhere inside Plexus and then right click it and go "Reveal in Timeline".
    This is driving me absolutely nuts :)

Jesper
    In the Plexus Object Panel select the 'Layer' in the object tree and then hit U. You can leave the selection at 'Layer' always (all the Plexus Objects stay visible) and it restores the expected behavior. This is due to limitations of the AE API.

Rowbyte Support
  • I'm on a Mac running Mojave and Plexus in After Effects CC2020 (latest updates) and I'm getting serious crashes and lockups when rendering my current Plexus project. It's quite a dense one - with many instances of the Plexus plugin on multiple layers. When I set it off to do final rendering, it chugs through as expected at about 3 seconds a frame, until at a random point (usually after about 30 minutes of rendering) it suddenly jumps to 40 MINUTES a frame. You can't stop the render until the current frame finishes, and if you force quit AE, the entire computer locks up - forcing a hard reset.  I'm assuming bad things are happening to the GPU memory space - maybe a memory leak/conflict or something similar? I had better results rendering using the command line and rendering as image sequences (so I could at least recover partial renders), but this screen grab of the terminal shows the crazy jump in render times -  https://i.imgur.com/85RSlef.png
    This is rendering on a 2017 iMac, quad core i7, 64GB ram, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB
  • I'm on a Mac running Mojave and Plexus in After Effects CC2020 (latest updates) and I'm getting serious crashes and lockups when rendering my current Plexus project. It's quite a dense one - with many instances of the Plexus plugin on multiple layers. When I set it off to do final rendering, it chugs through as expected at about 3 seconds a frame, until at a random point (usually after about 30 minutes of rendering) it suddenly jumps to 40 MINUTES a frame. You can't stop the render until the current frame finishes, and if you force quit AE, the entire computer locks up - forcing a hard reset.  I'm assuming bad things are happening to the GPU memory space - maybe a memory leak/conflict or something similar? I had better results rendering using the command line and rendering as image sequences (so I could at least recover partial renders), but this screen grab of the terminal shows the crazy jump in render times -  https://i.imgur.com/85RSlef.png
    This is rendering on a 2017 iMac, quad core i7, 64GB ram, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB
    Can you contact us by email and send us a project file? You can do so here

We'll follow up with you via email. Thanks.
  • Will we get real 3d occlusion?
  • Will we get real 3d occlusion?
    Hi Walter,

Thanks for your comment. Will add 3D occlusion support to feature requests.

• How can I 'generate faces' with my OBJ or Light layer geometry?
    i.e. the facets renderer doesn't appear to be working with obj imports..

What am I doing wrong?

• How can I 'generate faces' with my OBJ or Light layer geometry?
    i.e. the facets renderer doesn't appear to be working with obj imports..

What am I doing wrong?

If the OBJ file has facets, then the facets renderer object should render them. If you're having issues send us the project file here https://www.rowbyte.com/contact

You can use the triangulation object to generate 'new' triangles between vertices. For reference,

• Hello,

I'm looking to have a load of random lines joining a load of random locations on land masses on a map. Is there a way to tell Plexus to randomly generate many points only on the "land" areas (i.e. where the alpha of the layer is opaque)? I want lines to exist over the sea areas to join the points, but I don't want points in the sea. Any suggestions, please?

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Good day!
    Such a problem.

Adobe removed 2019 and I have 2021.

Plexus not working in 2021? But I still need it to finish the job.

Adobe's support says they don't have the After Effects 2019 installation.

Is it possible to adapt the old version for 2021?

Thank you!
  • Alex Kov said:
    Good day!
    Such a problem.

Adobe removed 2019 and I have 2021.

Plexus not working in 2021? But I still need it to finish the job.

Adobe's support says they don't have the After Effects 2019 installation.

Is it possible to adapt the old version for 2021?

Thank you!

https://www.rowbyte.com/blog/adobe-cc-2017-compatibility
  • If I upgrade to new version that my old project Plexus 2 will not be compatible with Plexus 3?
  • Alex Kov said:
    If I upgrade to new version that my old project Plexus 2 will not be compatible with Plexus 3?
    Your project will be automatically upgraded when you open a Plexus 2 project in Plexus 3.

• I am new to Plexus and I get constant crashes when working with the plugin. Is there any error logger to get to the reason of these crashes. Honestly I can't have a plugin crashing literally 6 times an hour.
  • I am new to Plexus and I get constant crashes when working with the plugin. Is there any error logger to get to the reason of these crashes. Honestly I can't have a plugin crashing literally 6 times an hour.
    Make sure you're running the latest version. Send us a project file along with your OS & AE version info. You can contact us here.

• I used this plugin not long ago, encountered a problem related to caching( the green line).
    when I add a Triangulation to "plexus", Cached data will be cleared in time(cannot preview video at normal frame rate)
    I tried some conventional methods
    (purge memory, reinstall and restart) Doesn't work
    This prevents me from previewing the video in real time

AE2020 plexus-3.1.14

zip
    zip
    Comp 1_1_1.zip
    14M
  • Hi Satya, I've just sent an email with a Bug Report - Subj - Re: AE-MFR Preview Bug - Plexus3 (3.2.1)
    The email contains Download URLs to the AEP and Screen Recording.

Here are the steps to reproduce the bug (in case someone else has similar experience)

Steps to Reproduce - 
    1) initiate Preview in AE
    2) switch to another app
    3) return to AE after the Preview has been cached (AE's icon in the Taskbar flashes to indicate a completed cached preview range)
    4) AE loses either some or all of its cached frames AND the Green Bar may or may not be there BUT it's largely meaningless - at times, most of the Green Bar is there but AE still requires re-rendering of the frames 
  • What is the rule that determines how beams are generated between one group and another? (Say group 1 and group 2) I am finding that it picks out only a single pair of layers to generate a beam for. And it's not the closest Group 1 -> Group 2 connection possible. It may depend on layer order? I seem to get different results if change layer order. Maybe it calculates from the top of the layer list?

I was hoping to generate beams to a certain number of possible connections, the same way lines work. So like "the 10 nearest" or something like that.
  • It looks like the points sprite from the composition doesn't work sometimes. Empty. This was not a problem in older versions.
  • It looks like the dot sprite from the composition doesn't work sometimes. In unified mode. Empty. This was not a problem in older versions.
  • mike axel said:
    It looks like the dot sprite from the composition doesn't work sometimes. In unified mode. Empty. This was not a problem in older versions.
    Hi Mike,

What version of Plexus are you running and what OS are you running? I would recommend to upgrade your Graphics Drivers if possible. 

If you're still facing issues, please contact us directly with a project file and also OS, AE. You can contact us using the link below the signature.

• I'm afraid Plexus is the least stable of all the plugins I use - a frequent problem is the viewport simply hanging after working with even a simple Plexus object for a short while. If you're lucky and you notice in time you get a chance to save before the whole app locks up and you have to force quit.
    I realise this isn't much use as a bug report, but this has been an issue across multiple versions of AE and on more than one machine with different GPUs, so I don't think it's simply a rogue Mac or dodgy installation. Any advice on diagnosing this so I can maybe provide usable info to you guys? Is there a diagnostic or logging mode for Plexus?
  • I'm afraid Plexus is the least stable of all the plugins I use - a frequent problem is the viewport simply hanging after working with even a simple Plexus object for a short while. If you're lucky and you notice in time you get a chance to save before the whole app locks up and you have to force quit.
    I realise this isn't much use as a bug report, but this has been an issue across multiple versions of AE and on more than one machine with different GPUs, so I don't think it's simply a rogue Mac or dodgy installation. Any advice on diagnosing this so I can maybe provide usable info to you guys? Is there a diagnostic or logging mode for Plexus?
    Hi Ian,

Interesting. What version of Plexus are you running? Also, I'm assuming you're on macOS? Intel or M1? If possible please send a sample project that you're experiencing issues using the link below. 

• Interesting. What version of Plexus are you running? Also, I'm assuming you're on macOS? Intel or M1? If possible please send a sample project that you're experiencing issues using the link below. 

Sorry, I hadn't actually checked back here after I got your email so, publicly and just for the record, Rowbyte got back to me on this straight away.

Thank you! 
  • hello, there is a way to make a object follow a beams in the last version? I want to create an arrow animating between two points. is something possible? thanks for your reply
  • Can Plexus render triangles instead of quads from a primitive object ?

I'm trying to create a grid of triangles with dots (point renderer) where the lines connect. 
    Using a Cube with a Z-point amount of 1, so it's basically a plane. 

Because afaik Plexus only renders quads it creates opitcal triangles where lines intersect but no points show up with the point renderer at those intersections as the points aren't there.

This would be solved it it could render triangular meshes. 
  • hello, there is a way to make a object follow a beams in the last version? I want to create an arrow animating between two points. is something possible? thanks for your reply
    Hi,

It's currently not possible to do that, but will add it to the feature requests. Thanks.

• Can Plexus render triangles instead of quads from a primitive object ?

I'm trying to create a grid of triangles with dots (point renderer) where the lines connect. 
    Using a Cube with a Z-point amount of 1, so it's basically a plane. 

Because afaik Plexus only renders quads it creates opitcal triangles where lines intersect but no points show up with the point renderer at those intersections as the points aren't there.

This would be solved it it could render triangular meshes. 
    The facets are indeed triangles (you can add a noise object and apply noise to the facets and they do disperse as triangles). But the points are it's own thing i.e. you cannot create points from triangles (but you can create triangles from existing points). I hope that makes sense.

For your problem, it makes a lot of sense to import geometry (OBJs) from a 3D application, so that way you can create points for every vertex in the OBJ file. Hope that helps.

Rowbyte Support
  • heyo,
    thanks for the nice plugin. however - i am getting constantly errors (missing frames) when using your plugin with the latest (22.x) version of AE on my macbook pro M1 MAX. i already set the render quality in your plugin to a higher value. in some cases it helps to purge the AE cache, but the most clips i need to render multiple times in order get error free results... any ideas?

best regards!
    tom
  • heyo,
    thanks for the nice plugin. however - i am getting constantly errors (missing frames) when using your plugin with the latest (22.x) version of AE on my macbook pro M1 MAX. i already set the render quality in your plugin to a higher value. in some cases it helps to purge the AE cache, but the most clips i need to render multiple times in order get error free results... any ideas?

best regards!
    tom
    Hi Tom,

Does this only happen with the Unified Rendering turned on? Does this happen even at a lower quality setting like 1x? If possible can you send us the project using the contact link below?