malty: Simple Camera Rig
  • I tried the trial and it fails at first load.  

"Unable to execute script at line 67. After Effects error: Can not add a property with name "MLTY Simple Camera Rig" to this PropetyGroup.

AE CS6 64 bit.

Sure would like to see if this works.  Almost bought it without trying first but something told me to do a trial first.  ;-)
  • Hey. Everything was tested throughout during the past 6 months. MLTY Simple Camera Rig is missing from the definitions, so it seems to me like the installation process did not complete fully. Did you watch the installation instruction video? long story short: try running AE as Administrator and then run the script again. if that doesn't help than watch the video: https://vimeo.com/67632725
  • WOW! Just wow!

This is the best script I've ever seen for AE Cams. It is irreplaceable. Many many thanks Jerzy for developing that one. It is awesome and so powerful. It feels like I'm holding a real camera in my hands and I can do everything I want to do with it. I dont want to miss this script in my AE any more. It gives me the absolut freedom and the total control over my AE Camera. I can't imagine to work without it anymore .. It is a real MUST HAVE for every single AE user out there.

Thanks Maltaannon!
  • Great script! This is exactly what I needed and I can see myself using this often. Very versatile. Well done sir! Worth the price in my opinion!! 
  • Nice one! I just don't see a way to CTRL-SHIFT-ALT click your script if it's not embedded in any kind of launcher. Doing this from the menu is impossible.
  • Yes there is. I guess you're on Windows, right? :) Either open up the Run script... dialog and press the keys while clicking the Open button, or press the keys and then simply hold the left mouse button all the time while you navigate to the proper menu. Then let it go. Tada! I know, right? Get ft-Toolbar. It's awesome :)
  • Man, this!
    I have 2 left hands when it comes to animating the AE camera, but not anymore!
    Wonderful and easy to use, very happy with it atm, thanks Jerzy!
  • This is....AMAZING!

Seriously, Adobe, if you are listening, this is how you make your camera usable! Easy to install, easy to operate.

My favourite bit is the focus picker. It allows so much functionality that I have craved for so so long.

Thank you.
  • Re-installed.  The fatal error was putting the script in the uipanel folder.  Thanks.  
  • Just downloaded but having trouble installing on a Mac. It's flagging 'Access Denied' and I'm assuming that the step-by-step is for Windows?
  • Just downloaded but having trouble installing on a Mac. It's flagging 'Access Denied' and I'm assuming that the step-by-step is for Windows?
    Step by step is for Windows, but it's the same for Mac, with one small difference, which is pointed out in the tutorial. https://vimeo.com/67632725
    The general idea is to add the content of the two XML files included with the download to the PresetEffects.xml. Access Denied is a strange error. Is it a message box that pops-up? Or something else? Or maybe you even can't run it? Remember to change the file type when executing the script from JSX to JSXBIN. I've tested this on several Mac systems, including my own, which is Mac OS X 10.6.8 and AE CS5 and CS6. Worked just fine. If you still have any problems please let me know. 
  • Apologies, it was my error in following your tutorial. All seems fine now. Amazing script, thanks so much.
  • Apologies, it was my error in following your tutorial. All seems fine now. Amazing script, thanks so much.
    What happened? I'm curious. Feedback improves experience :)
  • Looks amazing!! (Wygląda niesamowicie!

Mimic camera - cool!! (Mimic camera - wypas;) ! )

Focus option much easier.- (Ta opcja z punktem ostrości, bardzo ułatwi życie:) przy Plexusie bardzo się przyda;) 

Fajna sprawa - na pewno niebawem kupię! 

Pozdrawiam! 

• Multi-license discount?
  • Added on my multi-license question....... most scripts have a 2 seat license.  Primary workstation and mobile laptop situation.  Would be awfully nice if yours offered the same instead of one install.  Let me know!
  • I have that already setup. It will probably go active after the Intro Price Promotion is over.
  • I have that already setup. It will probably go active after the Intro Price Promotion is over.
    So if I buy today? Then what?
  • I wish I knew. This is not up to me. The sales department probably has an answer for you. Go to support and check out the knowledge database. If your answer is nowhere to be found than you can simply contact the site administrator.
  • I wish I knew. This is not up to me. The sales department probably has an answer for you. Go to support and check out the knowledge database. If your answer is nowhere to be found than you can simply contact the site administrator.
    Ok, thanks.  I already purchased it anyway.  I'll look into it further.
  • Ok, thanks.  I already purchased it anyway.  I'll look into it further.
    Glad to hear that :) Make sure to post some examples of how you used it. It would be fun to see what you do with it. :)
    Enjoy the rig!

• Just got it...really nice work!

Might I suggest adding a hand-help simulator for the next round? 

Seems like some sort of wiggle perimeter might be pretty simple to

add. Make sure to add it to the DOF as well!

Can't wait to start using this thing!

• Love the rig. Until now, I had developed a rig out of nulls that was very similar. Is there any way you can add camera zoom onto the rig? Sometimes, I just want to pop the zoom angle in for just 30 frames or so. I would like to operate all of the camera's subtle movements from one layer. So, I'll be adding a slider effect to help with that until it's added to the rig. Thanks.
  • There's a typo on the interface. It says Aperature.
  • Great Rig. Can you tell me how to move the point of interest around other than by the 'speed' settings. I am panning around a long cylindrical object like an aircraft and I want to move the POI to different places on the object. Other than keyframing the anchor point of the rig I can't see another way. Am I correct to do it like that?

Note that unlike in your tutorials, there's no real 'end position' as I need to move to different parts in a certain order, not a direct line.

Thanks

• @Jacob Walsh
    Thanks. I'll take that to account for the update.

@David Cabestany
    Woops. Thanks :P

@Roger Harris
    POI: you can animate the position of the camControls layer
    end position: don't really know what you mean. please explain.
  • Hi Jerzy, 

I was being an idiot, sorry! I saw the red numbers in the X,Y & Z position and figured they were controlled by the expressions so I didn't even try to keyframe them! D'oh.

Working perfectly now. You're a genius.

Many thanks
  • Glad you like it. All properties are still keyframeable, even when driven by expressions. Watch all the tutorials available here to get most out of my rig. And keep those ideas coming. Enjoy the rig :) And post some results as soon as you're done. I can't wait to see what you guys do with it.
    Happy AfterEffecting
  • Quick question...whats the best way to have a camera come to a stop after a move? My first inclination was to keyframe the movement speed to 0, but that returned the camera to the initial starting position...

What am I missing?
  • yes it did. as explained in the tutorial you don't want to animate the speed parameters. if you do, you should only animate them up, so, from 0 to 30 for example, not the other way around. the best way to do what you're looking for is to keyframe the parameters you're interested in. you can also keyframe the position of the camControls layer itself. you can do that even though there are expressions applied. just don't turn them off.
  • Im just here to sing the praises to this fabulous script, I tried it then brought it.

Thankyou Alan.

• Im just here to sing the praises to this fabulous script, I tried it then brought it.

Thankyou Alan.

Me too - after having a chat with Jerzy (i'd already bought it), I decided to use it in an already half completed job - it's saved me loads of time and hassle wrestling with camera positions and targets etc!

Thankyou Alan.

Me too - after having a chat with Jerzy (i'd already bought it), I decided to use it in an already half completed job - it's saved me loads of time and hassle wrestling with camera positions and targets etc!
    Thanks guys. I'd love to see what you do with The Rig. Post some links :)
  • Love this script!!! Perfect for the project I'm working on.
    I'm definitely getting this pretty soon.
    Was wondering, how long does the trial last?
    So I can prioritize my lengthy plugins and scripts "to get list".

Cheers
  • Love this script!!! Perfect for the project I'm working on.
    I'm definitely getting this pretty soon.
    Was wondering, how long does the trial last?
    So I can prioritize my lengthy plugins and scripts "to get list".

Cheers
    Trial lasts 7 days. I'm sure once you try The Rig, you'll get hooked. :) I use it even when I'm designing some stills in AE. It's great. :)
  • Have this 3d scene with characters made in Daz, animated with Ipi Studio, inside a spaceship made in Modo.
    I was having quite a difficult time with my cameras in After, so I decided to only use the world transform in Element 3d rather then moving cameras.
    But that was before I discovered your script, it's fantastic. You had me with the Heading control :)

Thanks
  • Glad you like it. :) I am planning a tutorial on some good Element 3D workflows. Navigating and setting a scene with Element 3D isn't very hard, but it is highly inconvenient in my opinion, unless one has a certain point of view and a plan. That's what my tutorials are going to be about. And The Rig is going to be a big part of it.

Also - ft-Toolbar is a great way to run the rig and other scripts. I highly recommend it. 
  • Hi your rig script looks really good and a lot easier than using nulls. I have a question, what kind of file is the car in your tutorial ?
    thanks
  • I love this script! It's wonderful to use.
    Is there a way of baking the camera so that I can give the file to someone who doesn't have the simple camera rig installed to render?
  • That's the best thing. It will work when you give the project to someone else. They will get the error message about a missing effect, but it will still run. Although - if you plan to post it as a template for sale, I would advise using the Convert Expressions To Keyframes option found in the Animation > Keyframe Assistant menu.
  • hi, I just got your plugin and ran into the first issue. I ran the script in a comp i've been working on and immediately noticed that navigiating in 3D space became very sluggish, with CPU usage going up too (from 3% to 13%). I tried to pinpoint where things go wrong and I can generate this behaviour by simply making a new comp like this: new solid with element3D, choose a cube primitive and leave everything else at default. add an AE spotlight to the scene. add an AE camera to the scene and move around, everything moves smoothly. Now, delete the AE cam and run the "malty_SimpleCameraRig.jsxbin". navigate by tweaking the camcontrols or by moving the null and you see the response is REALLY sluggish and choppy all of a sudden. An extra surprise: delete the light from this comp and voila, everything's smooth again ..?  If it helps you I can send you an AE project containing two comps with element3D and a light, with the plain AE cam in one, and your rig in the other. let me know where to send it to.

maybe related, in the comp i was working on, running the script while there's still a camera present crashes the script with "Seems like the install failed .." window (it didn't, see info below). if I remove the camera first and the run the script everything works (except for the massive slowdown). I couldn't reproduce this in the new simple testcomps I wrote about before though.

I hope you can fix this, I bought your script to use it in several places in a project Im working on, but this bug makes it impossible.

thanks, axel

tech info: ae cs6 (11.0.2.11), element3D 1.6.1, macbook pro 2.2 Ghz i7,  AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB, 16GB ram, osx 10.8.4. Also, your script seems to be installed correctly, the info from your two xml files is showing up in PresetEffects.xml.
  • Hey Alex

Thanks for the detailed description. I will still need to setup a TeamViewer session with you to pinpoint what the problem is. My guess is that it has nothing to do with the Rig directly. Remember, and essentially it's just a Camera parented to a Null with a few clever expressions. Nothing more.

"Seems like the install failed..." is a known issue. This error shows up when indeed the installation failed, or when you'd run the script with the Rig already present in your composition. 

Let's move this conversation into the Support Ticket section. We'll exchange contact details there. From the top menu of the site please choose Support > Contact. This will take you to a new page. There, click on "No thanks, I'd like to open a new support ticket" link. We'll take it from there.

Sorry for any inconvenience. I've been using the script for almost a year before publishing it here, along with my beta testers. No one ever noticed problems you describe. I'm eager to find out what's going on. 
  • hi jerzy, I opened a support ticket, the number is #1019148.

thanks, axel
  • Love the script so far! But how to create the global movement rig on a mac? Whenever you say Control on your windows tutorial, which button do you mean on mac? Command? Does not work for me so far, just like the sure target combination..  :(
  • It's the same on the Mac, so please use to Ctrl key, not the command. There's a known bug with the Ctrl key when using the most recent "ft-Toolbar 2". "ft-Toolbar 2" masks the Ctrl key and it does not get passed to my Camera Rig script. I've notified the developer of this and he's working on fixing it as we speak. If you're using "ft-Toolbar 2" than just use the Scripts > Run Script... instead when you plan to use the Ctrl key.

If you're still using the ft-Toolbar version 1 than you should be ok.

Hope that helps. 
    Enjoy the rig and show your work :)
  • Hello Jerzy,

Regarding your comment about launching the global movement rig on a mac, I had the same problem with ft-Toolbar 2. But running it from File>Scripts>Run Script File as you instructed worked for me -- thanks.

Great rig and comprehensive tutorials.

Thanks for all you mentoring, I've learnt a lot from you.

P.S. One thing I had to do was set Enable: Adobe JavaScript Binary File in the menu of the AE popup window to be able to select the script, which is otherwise greyed out.
  • I am having a problem with the relative mimic camera. The standard mimic camera (shift key) works for me on my Mac, but the relative mimic camera (File-Scripts-control-shift) I place in a precomp within a main comp is not responding to the Null script cam in the main comp.

The names I have seem correct: main comp is called main.composite and the precomp is called car and the mimic camera I cut and pasted into the car precomp is called Mimic.composite

What could I be doing wrong?
  • Ignore my last comment -- I see I have to abide by the usual file naming convention to get it to be rcognised: I renamed my precomp accordingly as main.car -- now it works.
  • Glad you worked it out. That is how it's intended to work (as explained in this tutorial: http://vimeo.com/67539287). I designed it in such a way, because I think it makes sense, doesn't it? I'm happy to hear your thoughts about it.

Glad you're enjoying the rig :)
  • Hi Jerzy,

I'm having a problem with SCR and Elementary script - I'm trying to use both but it seems they conflict and the elementary reflection feature doesn't work - I know this is a tricky one as it's down to compatibilities between both of your scripts but wondered if you'd run into this before (and if you use elementary)?

I'll post this to the Elementary forum too.

Would be nice to be able to get both scripts working together.

Cheers,

Paul.