Universal Audio

• imageUniversal Audio

Make audio flow through all your nested comps, always giving you audio reference and markers to animate and edit to, no matter where you are in your project, even if your comps are stretched, reversed or time remapped.

https://aescripts.com/universal-audio/

• Amazingggg good job!
  • Great script! However, I'm having issues where it doesn't play nicely with Ray Dynamic Color. If I turn this on, all the layers affected by RDC become black. Any work around for this?

• Great script! However, I'm having issues where it doesn't play nicely with Ray Dynamic Color. If I turn this on, all the layers affected by RDC become black. Any work around for this?
    Hi Andrew,

I'm glad you like the script! I've just tested this and found that it is due to the audio being distributed into the color palette comp that is generated by RDC, I will implement a fix for this in the next version to be release shortly.

Really appreciate the feedback!

Steve
  • Haven't actually tried it yet, but this such an simple yet brilliant idea. I've been waiting for Adobe to implement this capability for years, and now you've done it. Thank you! Buying it now!
  • Awesome, Steve! I was testing the trial yesterday to see how it worked, and your comment convinced me to buy it! 
  • This is amazing. Can I pay you again?!

I'd like to request an additional checkbox preference to always paste the Universal Audio layer at the bottom of my layer stack. I always put audio at the bottom so it's a small pain to move all instances of audio in all 68 of my comps on my current project.

Keep up the great work, and thanks for adding the locked layers fix today, great idea!
  • This is amazing. Can I pay you again?!

I'd like to request an additional checkbox preference to always paste the Universal Audio layer at the bottom of my layer stack. I always put audio at the bottom so it's a small pain to move all instances of audio in all 68 of my comps on my current project.

Keep up the great work, and thanks for adding the locked layers fix today, great idea!
    Hi David,

This is a good suggestion! I'll definitely implement this option in the next release, I'll also be moving the options into a separate options dialog to reduce the UI visual footprint

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Great script it helps me so much!
  • Yeeeeeeeeeah!!!!!!! You've saved me so much time and pain!
  • Damn dude, I gotta tell you again.... THANKS!!!
  • Damn dude, I gotta tell you again.... THANKS!!!
    No problem man, I'm glad you find it useful!
  • Amazing plugin! I have used the trial version and now I am ready to purchase it. The only downside was that it creates an audio layer even on Ray Dynamic Color composition, but I understand they fixed this in the latest release. Good job guys!
  • Great script. saved me a lot of time and problems with a current projects with plenty of precomps. markers that update, a button to click to update all! (I used to highlight the main guide layer at first and took me a while to realize I don't need to!). on feature request: the icons could be smaller.. if you could have an option to scale them down. they could be at least 50% smaller and still do all we need them to do and be clear. that would be great. we need U.I room for all them scripts and extensions...

Thank you. 
  • Great script. saved me a lot of time and problems with a current projects with plenty of precomps. markers that update, a button to click to update all! (I used to highlight the main guide layer at first and took me a while to realize I don't need to!). on feature request: the icons could be smaller.. if you could have an option to scale them down. they could be at least 50% smaller and still do all we need them to do and be clear. that would be great. we need U.I room for all them scripts and extensions...

Thank you. 
    Hi Roei,

Thanks for the feedback! Will definitely be looking into a redesign to reduce the UI footprint in the next version

Steve
  • Great product! 

I was thinking... there is another product that you could make almost in the exact same as this but it would be an "add to pre comp" utility.  Sometimes I build a pre comp and then add layer outside of the precomp, but then if you copy and past it into the precomp, it messes up the file on the timeline. I would think it would be easy and almost do the exact thing you're doing with Universal Audio.

Also, as suggestion, for Universal Audio, could you also in your setting add the feature that turning the audio off automatically at the outside of the pre comp. That way if I put the audio into the pre comp to do the animation for that section and want to keep the audio in the precomp, I then don't have to turn off the audio on the pre comp. (does that make sense?).

Thanks,
    Frank
  • Great product! 

I was thinking... there is another product that you could make almost in the exact same as this but it would be an "add to pre comp" utility.  Sometimes I build a pre comp and then add layer outside of the precomp, but then if you copy and past it into the precomp, it messes up the file on the timeline. I would think it would be easy and almost do the exact thing you're doing with Universal Audio.

Also, as suggestion, for Universal Audio, could you also in your setting add the feature that turning the audio off automatically at the outside of the pre comp. That way if I put the audio into the pre comp to do the animation for that section and want to keep the audio in the precomp, I then don't have to turn off the audio on the pre comp. (does that make sense?).

Thanks,
    Frank
    Hi Frank,

Thanks for the suggestion! This is an interesting idea that I'll explore a bit further. 

Regarding your second point; if I'm understanding correctly the universal audio placed within the comps is always set to be a guide layer, meaning it should never be audible from outside of the comp and you shouldn't need to turn it on or off

Thanks for the feedback,
    Steve
  • Fantastic script. Total time saver. Thank you!!!
  • After using this product for several months, this is a great product. It always works and it saves so much time. Thanks!!!
  • Excellent, mate. Just bought it and loving it. One look immediately convinced a few other coworkers to use it!
  • Excellent, mate. Just bought it and loving it. One look immediately convinced a few other coworkers to use it!
    Thanks for the comment, glad you like it!
  • Dude - this script has given me back HOURS ...probably days and weeks over time ...of my life. Can't thank you enough.
  • I still love this script, but I wish it had a recursion setting (so I could limit it to main comp and initial subcomps), and the ability to add audio to individual comps at will.
  • Joe Clay said:
    I still love this script, but I wish it had a recursion setting (so I could limit it to main comp and initial subcomps), and the ability to add audio to individual comps at will.
    Hi Joe,

That could be useful to add a setting to limit the depth, will look into adding in next release. Will also put some thought into how to add to individual comps

Thanks!
    Steve
  • I'm loving this script! So much time saved on only a couple projects so far. I can see using this in just about everything I do. 
  • He dude love the script! Was wondering if there is any chance of being able to pick the label colour of the created layers in future versions? I tend to colour code stuff which involves using Cyan, and use labels plug in to select coloured items, so it would be great if I was able to choose the colour of the label when layers are created

Thanks though this is easily the most useful plug in I own!
  • He dude love the script! Was wondering if there is any chance of being able to pick the label colour of the created layers in future versions? I tend to colour code stuff which involves using Cyan, and use labels plug in to select coloured items, so it would be great if I was able to choose the colour of the label when layers are created

Thanks though this is easily the most useful plug in I own!
    Hi Joshua,

Thanks for the comment! This could definitely be a useful option to add, will look at including it in the next update

Glad you find the script useful, thanks for the feedback! 
  • Works as advertised. 100% worth it. Makes life better!
  • Love the script! Any idea when a CC 2019 compatible version might be available?
  • Love the script! Any idea when a CC 2019 compatible version might be available?
    Thanks for the comment! A new version with 2019 compatibility will be coming within the next week along with an extra feature

Steve
  • Any news on 2019?
  • Any news on 2019?
    Hi Esben,

I have now released 2019 compatibility.

Some new features are also currently in the pipeline for the next release which will be coming soon

Steve
  • Is it possible to use this script and individual buttons with kbar?
  • Is it possible to use this script and individual buttons with kbar?
    Interesting, I will look into adding the use of individual buttons for kbar in the next release, thanks!
  • Hi Steve, 

When I press the universalize button, the audio is not distributed in other comps. The UniversalAudio comp is created in the Project bar but that's it. I have the latest AE installed as well as the latest update of your script. I have tried to un-check and check all different kinds of button-variations in the settings just to see if there is a bug. Nothing. 

Since I just bought it I only had the chance to try it once, in another project. There everything seemed to work fine. Now, in an empty project - no go. 

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here or could be a bug somehow?

Looking forward to use this one, gonna save me loads of time. Thanks! 

All the best
    /Pär S
  • Hi Steve, 

When I press the universalize button, the audio is not distributed in other comps. The UniversalAudio comp is created in the Project bar but that's it. I have the latest AE installed as well as the latest update of your script. I have tried to un-check and check all different kinds of button-variations in the settings just to see if there is a bug. Nothing. 

Since I just bought it I only had the chance to try it once, in another project. There everything seemed to work fine. Now, in an empty project - no go. 

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here or could be a bug somehow?

Looking forward to use this one, gonna save me loads of time. Thanks! 

All the best
    /Pär S
    Hi Pär,

Sorry you are encountering an issue, please open a support ticket and preferably include the project file, will have a look to determine what's happening

Thanks,
    Steve
  • Support ticket = excellent service. Works like a charm now (and it did before, it was just a mistake from my side). 

I recommend this plugin to everyone, it's amazing! 

/Pär
  • Super very helpful tool !!!
    I do not even know how I worked without it before!
    I recommend to everyone!
  • I have been using this tool for about a month now and it is fantastic!

Very simple to use and it is a massive timesaver. 

I recommend to everyone who wants to save time!!
  • I'm really enjoying this tool. I got it specifically to work on a music video that has a number of scenes set up as subcomps. The fact that it keeps the markers is a huge help with timing.

I have noticed that when I use the Audio Spectrum effect to control animation, I have no trouble setting it to use the Universal Audio layer as the audio source. 

I have also observed that when I use the Refresh function that Audio Layer in the Effects Control for Audio Spectrum resets to the original layer (in this case, 4 which is a shape layer). I can change the Audio Layer back to the Universal Audio, but it's a little annoying that it changes without any other action from me.

I know now to do check for the settings for that one sub-comp before I go to render the layer, but I'm curious if you might know how I can lock in the Universal Audio choice. Locking the comp and the individual layers that use Audio Spectrum does not prevent this issue.

Thanks! Other than this minor issue, this is exactly the tool I needed.
  • I'm really enjoying this tool. I got it specifically to work on a music video that has a number of scenes set up as subcomps. The fact that it keeps the markers is a huge help with timing.

I have noticed that when I use the Audio Spectrum effect to control animation, I have no trouble setting it to use the Universal Audio layer as the audio source. 

I have also observed that when I use the Refresh function that Audio Layer in the Effects Control for Audio Spectrum resets to the original layer (in this case, 4 which is a shape layer). I can change the Audio Layer back to the Universal Audio, but it's a little annoying that it changes without any other action from me.

I know now to do check for the settings for that one sub-comp before I go to render the layer, but I'm curious if you might know how I can lock in the Universal Audio choice. Locking the comp and the individual layers that use Audio Spectrum does not prevent this issue.

Thanks! Other than this minor issue, this is exactly the tool I needed.
    Hi Brent,

Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately it is necessary for Universal Audio layers to be cleared and re-distributed to ensure they are fully inline with the current comp arrangement, which means the the UA layers get replaced and anything directly linking to that layer will be reset, it is still possible to link attributes to the UA layer via expressions by referencing the "Universal Audio" layer name, however layer selectors on effects such as Audio Spectrum can not have expressions added

Steve
  • The tool is AMAZING. Saves me tons of time and is worth EVERY penny.

Thanks Steve Lewis for making to available.

Mark Fogarty
  • Love it.

I have an issue of it speeding up (like fast forwarding an audio tape) in the comps. I am using AE CC2019 , please advise

• Jon Taie said:
    Love it.

I have an issue of it speeding up (like fast forwarding an audio tape) in the comps. I am using AE CC2019 , please advise
    Hi Jon,

Are any of your comps stretched? It may be compensating for any stretching from within the comp

Steve
  • Hi Jon, thanks for the great plugin, it is very helpful tool!

Unfortunately I started having some issues on one particular file. At some point it started acting weird, when updateing the UA layer I noticed  some of the comps got the UA layer on solo (which could be annoying when you have hundreds comps) and also some of the comps had like 8 UA layers for some reason. In new scene it works fine, but looks like something went wrong whit this one project file. 

AE 16.1
  • Hi Jon, thanks for the great plugin, it is very helpful tool!

Unfortunately I started having some issues on one particular file. At some point it started acting weird, when updateing the UA layer I noticed  some of the comps got the UA layer on solo (which could be annoying when you have hundreds comps) and also some of the comps had like 8 UA layers for some reason. In new scene it works fine, but looks like something went wrong whit this one project file. 

AE 16.1
    Hi Joosep,

Thanks for the feedback, could you possibly open a support ticket and attach the project you are having issues in? I will see if I can determine where the issue lies and release a bug fix

Many thanks,
    Steve
  • Hi Jon,This is a great product!

I suggest that the panel icon can be automatically adapted to the interface, and the icon can be displayed in one line instead of two rows.
    I'm adsorbing to other panels. It takes up two rows of space.

This problem, I hope in the next version, can be considered.
    Thank you!
  • Hi Jon,This is a great product!

I suggest that the panel icon can be automatically adapted to the interface, and the icon can be displayed in one line instead of two rows.
    I'm adsorbing to other panels. It takes up two rows of space.

This problem, I hope in the next version, can be considered.
    Thank you!
    Hi there,

Thanks for the suggestion! I will look into adding this on the next update, It could possibly flow to one row when the height of the panel is small

Thanks,
    Steve
  • Hi mate,
    what does the Single Comp Mode option do?
  • Hi mate,
    Hi Davide,

This is a feature designed to work in a different way to making selected audio universal, it rather works the other way around by adding reference audio only to the currently open comp by looking through every comp that contains that current open comp, and automatically finding layers with audio, it's an alternative that adds audio reference to just the one comp as opposed to all comps

Hope this helps!
    Steve
  • Hi mate,
    Hi Davide,

This is a feature designed to work in a different way to making selected audio universal, it rather works the other way around by adding reference audio only to the currently open comp by looking through every comp that contains that current open comp, and automatically finding layers with audio, it's an alternative that adds audio reference to just the one comp as opposed to all comps

Hope this helps!
    Steve
    Hi Steve,

I had been pressing the refresh button (second button) when inside a nested comp and the audio was added everywhere (with Single Comp Mode selected). I thought it was a bug, that's why I asked. 

However I've just tried to press the first button (the one with a volume icon) and that works as expected adding the audio only on the open comp. That works, so all good!

Thank you.

(I like the Single Comp Mode option better)