• OMG i want OCD !!!!⁄⁄⁄¡¡¡¡
  • Will i be able to have the option of placing a prefix on the layer when using this script?
    I tend to prefix all my nulls or adjustments layers based on what they do.
    For Example:

Nulls:
    N_Pos_01

Effects:
    E_HueLevels

Expression Control Layers:
    Exp_Opacity

This helps me quickly visual see and do a search on all my layers.
  • Will i be able to have the option of placing a prefix on the layer when using this script?
    I tend to prefix all my nulls or adjustments layers based on what they do.
    For Example:

Nulls:
    N_Pos_01

Effects:
    E_HueLevels

Expression Control Layers:
    Exp_Opacity

This helps me quickly visual see and do a search on all my layers.
    Hi Gerald

Currently you can't prefix based on layer type, but you can prefix effects with E_

I like your suggestion for naming based on expressions, thanks!
  • I'm having difficulty putting any text into the large Effects box on the left. I can input text into the lower Effect Name field, but after saving the text disappears.
    Any insight would be appreciated.
  • Nothing in this script is working :/ i'm using Adobe 2015.3 and when i create Layer > Levels > Click inside script (exactly like you've done on tutorial) and nothing happen. 
  • Looking forward to the CS6 Compatible version!!!
  • How to create custom aliases for effects? There is only a input box in the left and nothing happened.
  • Looking forward to the CS6 Compatible version!!!
    Hi Chris

CS6 compatible version is out now :)
  • Nothing in this script is working :/ i'm using Adobe 2015.3 and when i create Layer > Levels > Click inside script (exactly like you've done on tutorial) and nothing happen. 
    Hi Denis

Just confirming you have the view set to "Layer Name" rather than "Source Name", otherwise the names won't show. 
    Screenshot 2018-12-16 13.20.24.png
    388 x 102 - 16K
  • How to create custom aliases for effects? There is only a input box in the left and nothing happened.
    Hi Shing

Just confirming you had the effect selected and shift-clicked the settings icon. Then it should appear in the box for you to set your own custom alias. 
  • I'm having difficulty putting any text into the large Effects box on the left. I can input text into the lower Effect Name field, but after saving the text disappears.
    Any insight would be appreciated.
    Hi Douglas

Sorry I'm not understanding exactly. Are your custom effects names not saving after restarting after effects?
  • Love these really useful bread and butter tools.
    I just asked my supervisor (er, me) to purchase this.   Supervisor approved!

• Love these really useful bread and butter tools.
    I just asked my supervisor (er, me) to purchase this.   Supervisor approved!

Yay! Hope you enjoy it Darren.
  • Awesome tool, I just wanted to confirm before buying/trying...

Can you batch rename Groups under Contents of a Shape Layer? (e.g. when having a Shape Layer selected + Contents tab open + hundreds of Groups 1, 2, 3... selected).

Can you batch rename Groups under Contents of a Shape Layer? (e.g. when having a Shape Layer selected + Contents tab open + hundreds of Groups 1, 2, 3... selected).
    Hi Isaiah

Currently we don't have that functionality unfortunately. Are you wanting to rename groups based off the layer name?

Hi Isaiah

Currently we don't have that functionality unfortunately. Are you wanting to rename groups based off the layer name?
    Not necessarily – just want to rename several groups (numbered Group 1, 2, 3, 4... 1,000... by default) as it was imported from Illustrator. My interest is to easily categorize the design elements with new labels. For example, I have one Illustrator file that is one layer in AE (scuba diver under water). It has hundreds of outlines labeled as Groups under Contents that make up all design elements... ideally I'd rename several of them like fish 1, fish 2, fish 3... then rock 1, rock 2, rock 3...

My only possibly solution is using the Explode Shape Layers 3 (ESL3) plugin to "explode" each of the groups as their own individual layers where OCD Renamer could then recognize them to batch rename.
  • Hey James,

Is there any way to adjust all the names so that they're all in lowercase?

Also, just a heads up. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but there's a slight spelling mistake in the config window (at least in the video). It should be "separator" as opposed to "seperator".

• The version you guys sent over directly that fixed OCD renamer in CS6 works fine. Version 1.1.4

Would be cool to update it here for other users to get this version if they need it :)

• Hey James,

Is there any way to adjust all the names so that they're all in lowercase?

Also, just a heads up. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but there's a slight spelling mistake in the config window (at least in the video). It should be "separator" as opposed to "seperator".

Hi Malik

Currently not, but we will consider that for the next update. Thanks for catching the spelling error!
  • Doesn't work for me!!! Windows 10, Mac OS Mojave, After Effect 2019. Could you fix it ASAP?
  • Doesn't work for me!!! Windows 10, Mac OS Mojave, After Effect 2019. Could you fix it ASAP?
    Hi Dennis. Could you please submit a support ticket and let us know what happens when you run the script? Does it show?
  • Hi!
    Fantastic tool! One question though: where are my customizations stored? I'd like to transfer them to another computer. Is there a way to edit customizations 'offline', as in: edit config file in a text-editor? I'd like to add prefixes like "FX_" and "CC_" to the effects names, it's quite a pain doing so in the tiny box in the preferences pane after adding all (!) installed effects.

cheers,
    Moritz.

• Hi!
    Fantastic tool! One question though: where are my customizations stored? I'd like to transfer them to another computer. Is there a way to edit customizations 'offline', as in: edit config file in a text-editor? I'd like to add prefixes like "FX_" and "CC_" to the effects names, it's quite a pain doing so in the tiny box in the preferences pane after adding all (!) installed effects.

cheers,
    Moritz.

Hi Mortiz

OCD Renamer's preferences are stored inside AE's preferences text file, so if you copy that it should also copy the OCD Renamer preferences.

On my windows machine it's here (specific to version 16.1):
    C:\Users\James\AppData\Roaming\Adobe After Effects 16.1\Adobe After Effects 16.1 Prefs.txt

Let me know if you have any trouble.
  • Hi James.

Thanks for the quick answer. I had already found the basic settings in the preferences file, just couldn't find any of the custom name settings there, but they're probably in some encoded section in the same file.

cheers,
    Moritz.

• Put in a ticket, but never got a reply.

Works great on my CC 2020 install on my laptop, but not at all on my CC 2019 on my iMac

"TypeError: null is not an object"
    "TypeError: undefined is not an object 1"
    "TypeError: undefined is not an object 96"

reinstalled fresh twice.

Please help

• Put in a ticket, but never got a reply.

Works great on my CC 2020 install on my laptop, but not at all on my CC 2019 on my iMac

reinstalled fresh twice.

Please help

Hi Trevor

My apologies. Matt, our dev who wrote OCD Renamer has told me he has replied. He will be travelling until Sunday the 17th November but he will do his best to keep in contact and find a resolution to the issue.
  • how do i solve this?
    what the.jpg
    1647 x 747 - 129K
  • how do i solve this?
    Looks like this is Deep glow in the screen shot? not OCD Renamer related. That X usually shows if you haven't bought a tool and it's in trial mode.
  • how do i solve this?
    Yes as Chris mentioned this is the unlicensed watermark. If you're having further issues please open a support ticket.
  • Some people have real life struggles who have actual OCD. It is a condition and I think the name of this script is genuinely pretty offensive!

• Some people have real life struggles who have actual OCD. It is a condition and I think the name of this script is genuinely pretty offensive!

Steve, as a user/fan of Plugin Everything products – I totally see your point of view on this daringly clever name. As creatives, maybe we can look outside the box of this synonymous acronym and consider it as Object Composition Detail renamer. 
  • Hi there,

I installed ocd renamer to my windows pc and i worked fine when i install it on my mac, it gives error.

I tried CC2019 and CC 2020 both had the same issue.
  • I have the same error as below...

"Hi there,

I installed ocd renamer to my windows pc and i worked fine when i install it on my mac, it gives error.

I tried CC2019 and CC 2020 both had the same issue."

Any fix?

"Hi there,

Any fix?
    Hi Nick

We're currently investigating this issue as a few people have reported this on Windows.

"Hi there,

Any fix?
    Hi Nick

Just wanted to update you that we have addressed this issue, if you could please download the latest version and let me know if the problem is resolved. Thanks.
  • Just installed and instantly got this error when I booted up After Effects 2020 on Windows 10 Pro:

Script Alert

Exception has occured: ReferenceError
    Function JSON.parse is undefined

File "res/configHandler.jsx", in "load"
       File "OCD.jsx", in "buildUI"

Line: 80
  • Just installed and instantly got this error when I booted up After Effects 2020 on Windows 10 Pro:

Script Alert

Hi Jason

Thanks for alerting us to this, I'll have this investigated.

Script Alert

Hi Jason

An update to address this issue has been released, please let me know if you have any issues.

Regards
  • Seem to have a bug on Mac where the script asks for my serial after about a month
  • Seem to have a bug on Mac where the script asks for my serial after about a month
    Hi Kes

Sorry for this issue. Are you registering via the aescripts app? We recommend that to manage licensing to avoid issues. 
  • Only this script ask me password when I open AE everytime. 
    I tried activate via aescripts + aeplugins app, but doesn't work,
    so I need to go to my product page and copy paste password.

Is it anyway to fix it?
  • This isnt working. Using AE 22.3
  • This isnt working. Using AE 22.3
    Hi Kieryn,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, do you mind if I ask for more information regarding how exactly OCD Renamer is not working for you?

Kind regards,
    Matthew.
  • Hi,

This doesnt seem to be working for me in the latest version of AE? I click any of the buttons and nothing happens.
  • Iain Syme said:
    Hi,

This doesnt seem to be working for me in the latest version of AE? I click any of the buttons and nothing happens.
    Hey Iain,

That's strange, i've attached an experimental version of File Hunter, could you please try it out and let me know if it works?

Kind regards,
    Matthew.
  • Hi 
    The Plugin Everything plugin is great.
    Also, this plugin is perfect.
    If I had a wish, it would be to be able to change the layer comments instead of changing the layer names.

I think it would be great to have the ability to change the layer comment instead of changing the layer name, so that there would be even more options for the working method. (It would also make it easier to work with other scripts.)
  • Anyone else feeling OCD renamer script is slowing down the latest version of AE? (2023 latest update)