• Is there an official plan & estimate when this will work on 3D layers?

• This is very cool. On the first tire kick it's a little processor-intensive / slow, but seems so very useful. I'd love to see Adobe build this in natively.
    (running CC15 OSX 64GB RAM)
  • I Just bought it without any though :)
  • Is there an official plan & estimate when this will work on 3D layers?

Hi, Miika. Yes, we're working on it.
  • I noticed that the parenting will only update in the comp if you have at least one keyframe on the parent's transform property of interest.  Is this normal?  Should the comp update without any keyframes on the parent?  Thanks.
  • I noticed that the parenting will only update in the comp if you have at least one keyframe on the parent's transform property of interest.  Is this normal?  Should the comp update without any keyframes on the parent?  Thanks.
    Hi, Kevin. Yes, you need to animate parent layer in order to make parenting work, 'cause it's expressions-based.
    Children need role model to motivate and inspire them, right?
  • Each time I hit "Parents!", it pops up the Initializing Animation Presets dialog box, which in my case can take :10 seconds to complete. 
  • Each time I hit "Parents!", it pops up the Initializing Animation Presets dialog box, which in my case can take :10 seconds to complete. 
    Hi, Stephen! Can you please provide us with more details and screenshots in a Support Request ticket? https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
    Hi, Stepen. Are you sure that happens every time you press the "Parents!" button?
    As far as we know, the animation presets are loaded the first time that the Effects & Presets panel is shown. If the Effects & Presets panel is not shown, presets initializing happens only the first time you use Good Parents at this session, not every time. Basically, it's After Effects issue, it has nothing to do with Good Parents.

• Once its usable in 3D, I'll get it. Until then, maybe I'll wait for a special offer. 
  • Once its usable in 3D, I'll get it. Until then, maybe I'll wait for a special offer. 
    We're working on it, Matthew. Not an easy task, but totally doable.
  • Nik Ska said:
    Once its usable in 3D, I'll get it. Until then, maybe I'll wait for a special offer. 
    We're working on it, Matthew. Not an easy task, but totally doable.

Ok, I'm Sold, thanks for the email too.

• What kind of wizardry is this!?  I'm with Matthew- get it working with 3D and I'll throw money at you.
  • ah! bought before realizing 3d layers don't work. hope the functionality is in the works :)
  • ah! bought before realizing 3d layers don't work. hope the functionality is in the works :)
    Hi, Christina. Thank you for your purchase! We'll release 3D support very soon, I'd say this week.
  • Hi. Awesome script. But everytime I use it it brings my whole composition to a crawl every time it hits this expression. Do you know what this would be happening? Im on a 2013 Mac Pro 64 GB

• Just started a project today that uses 3D layers. It's working great!
  • Is there a trick to upgrading? I downloaded the 1.1 update, installed it, opened AE, and it says it's running in Trial Mode. I can't figure out how to enter my serial#.
  • Is there a trick to upgrading? I downloaded the 1.1 update, installed it, opened AE, and it says it's running in Trial Mode. I can't figure out how to enter my serial#.
    Can you open a support ticket and send a screenshot so we can see what you are seeing? 
  • It's worked great up until today – I've tried on two different machines, deleted prefs files, restarted, uninstalled/reinstalled, both the most up-to-date version and the version prior, and nothing is doing the trick. I'm on the most recent version of CC2015 – I took a screen recording
  • It's worked great up until today – I've tried on two different machines, deleted prefs files, restarted, uninstalled/reinstalled, both the most up-to-date version and the version prior, and nothing is doing the trick. I'm on the most recent version of CC2015 – I took a screen recording
    Hi Japheth. You need to animate parent layer to make GP work.
    Good Parents work only with animated parents, because it's expressions-based script.
  • Getting ready to buy. Any chance you can share the Rubik's Cube AE project with me? I'd love to see how you do that.
  • The trial version doesn`t work for me at all. I have CC 2014. Actually the effect appeared in effect controls, but parenting behaviour not working.
  • The trial version doesn`t work for me at all. I have CC 2014. Actually the effect appeared in effect controls, but parenting behaviour not working.

Hi, Kostet. Please watch tutorials, you may have missed setting a keyframe for Enable checkbox
  • I`ve just missed the point, that this fake parenting works only with keyframed objects. Now it works.
  • Great script. saved my life. simple UI, no fancy stuff. click and move on.  I have a question - why does the script add a text layer and not a NULL? I am sure you have a reason but this makes things messy if I moved my project from one machine to another and did not have the font that was used by default - I get an annoying message. 
  • Great script. saved my life. simple UI, no fancy stuff. click and move on.  I have a question - why does the script add a text layer and not a NULL? I am sure you have a reason but this makes things messy if I moved my project from one machine to another and did not have the font that was used by default - I get an annoying message. 
    Hi Roei, thank you for your kind words!

The reason we use text layer is because during development we decided to move tons of calculations to Source Text property, so all the transforms don't have to calculate it again. You can set text layer's opacity up to 100 to see the result of calculations, if you want.

In future update we'll probably set the default font to something general, like Arial, so you won't get these messages anymore.
  • Hi there

For some reason when I run Good Parent In AE CS6 the script shows Missing: Good Parents in the effects window.  Script 1.1 is present in the ScriptUi folder and product has registration key applied.   Any ideas?  Thanks
  • Hi there

For some reason when I run Good Parent In AE CS6 the script shows Missing: Good Parents in the effects window.  Script 1.1 is present in the ScriptUi folder and product has registration key applied.   Any ideas?  Thanks
    Hi Fred.

Yeah, we know about this issue. It's CS6 bug, so there's not much we can do about it. If you open your saved project in AE CC or higher, Good Parents effect name will be shown correctly. It does not affect the functionality though, so everything should be working as intended.
  • Hi, this is a great idea. However, I downloaded the trial and the results for what I was trying to achieve were a little disappointing. I have 2 characters rigged using duik, one bites the others leg and then they shake their leg to try to get them off and the biting character follows the movement and rotation of the leg. The idea was to use the knee bone (ik bone) as a parent to the character biting(multiple layers and IK rigged parented to master null which I tried to use as a child). When I parented it and moved the bitten leg, the character moved but the movement was almost opposite to leg's movement. When I parent the character to the knee bone without the script it works fine but then, the character is then parented for the whole scene, which I don't want. I hope that made sense, I would definitely buy this if you can help with any suggestion on what might be causing my problem :) 

Thanks
    Paul
  • Hi, this is a great idea. However, I downloaded the trial and the results for what I was trying to achieve were a little disappointing. I have 2 characters rigged using duik, one bites the others leg and then they shake their leg to try to get them off and the biting character follows the movement and rotation of the leg. The idea was to use the knee bone (ik bone) as a parent to the character biting(multiple layers and IK rigged parented to master null which I tried to use as a child). When I parented it and moved the bitten leg, the character moved but the movement was almost opposite to leg's movement. When I parent the character to the knee bone without the script it works fine but then, the character is then parented for the whole scene, which I don't want. I hope that made sense, I would definitely buy this if you can help with any suggestion on what might be causing my problem :) 

Thanks
    Paul
    Hi Paul.
    We definetly have to investigate this bug! Would you mind opening a suppor ticket?
  • Is there anything that exists like that but rather than an ON and OFF toggle, it would allow you to control the % of influence for the parent? My particular case is that I have something parented to a track, but I want to smoothly, seamlessly and above else SOFTLY hand off from my track to the parent having 0% influence so I can animate freely, and then have the track take back hold.
  • We need scipt/plugin called RealParents. When you pickwhip location from a layer that is parented, the value the pickwhip puts out is not located where the layer/value is. Hope there will be a solution for this one day.
  • Hello. I can't get this to work with 3D layers. What am I doing wrong? :-( 
  • I made this video showing the issue I have. Please help: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9lxkfjgfid60ps2/Help2.mp4?dl=0
  • This is fantastic.  I do a lot of medical animations and being able to pass items off to other objects with dynamic parenting is a huge timesaver.
  • doesn't it work with cc 2018?
    i followed the tutorial, multiple times to find or i forgot something...
    when i enable the  parent, it moves...?
    en when i unable the parent, it still follows the parent...
  • doesn't it work with cc 2018?
    i followed the tutorial, multiple times to find or i forgot something...
    when i enable the  parent, it moves...?
    en when i unable the parent, it still follows the parent...

please open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • This doesn't seem to work if the layer or parent layers are parented to anything else. If so, this is a pretty disappointing lapse for a $30 purchase.
  • This doesn't seem to work if the layer or parent layers are parented to anything else. If so, this is a pretty disappointing lapse for a $30 purchase.
    Hi Jordan,
    If you have a chain of parented layers, please make sure all of them are in the same dimensions as the layer that has Good Parents applied to it. All of the layers have to be either 2D or 3D
  • Here's an idea for Good Parents: It would supercharge GP if you could set % percent on how much the child will follow the parent. 100% would obviously mean that the child will do exactly what the parent does, but for an example 50% would mean that it does half what the parent does etc. This would dramatically change what you can do with this script!

This kind of feature is available in HitFilm (Mix parent).
  • I have the same problem as Jordan S. The plug-in doesn't work when the layers are parented to another layer. I thought it was because I am using 2018 15.01 version so I uninstalled and tired it on an older one. Still doesn't work. Wastes several hours on trying to make it work..

• I have the same problem as Jordan S. The plug-in doesn't work when the layers are parented to another layer. I thought it was because I am using 2018 15.01 version so I uninstalled and tired it on an older one. Still doesn't work. Wastes several hours on trying to make it work..

Please open a support ticket for any technical issues
  • Just purchased GP, and its so great! Only one minor issue - I can't seem to dock the Good Parents window, it creates a little floating window rather than containing the UI in the docked panel. Any ideas?
  • Just purchased GP, and its so great! Only one minor issue - I can't seem to dock the Good Parents window, it creates a little floating window rather than containing the UI in the docked panel. Any ideas?
    You need to install it in the ScriptUI Panels folder: https://aescripts.com/faq/how-to-install-and-run-scripts/
    You need to install it in the ScriptUI Panels folder: https://aescripts.com/faq/how-to-install-and-run-scripts/
    That's where mine is =\
    Also sometimes it just doesn't work for some layers. I haven't been able to find a reason for this inconsistent behavior.
    That's where mine is =\
    Also sometimes it just doesn't work for some layers. I haven't been able to find a reason for this inconsistent behavior.
    open a support ticket
  • UPDATE: I got it working. I overlooked the fact that I had to add keyframes. I just moved the parent around expecting the child to follow, so that's why I thought it didn't work.

––––––––––––––

It's not working. I'm running v. 1.3.1 on After Effects v. 15.1.2 (Build 69). What to do?
  • I really like the idea behind the script, but the inability to add a parent to the parent is a big limit on how much i can use the script.
    For me, I use parenting as much for adjusting location, scale and rotation as I do for animation.
  • For some reason it seems that time-reversing keyframes makes parenting not work. Is this a limitation or is something going wrong on my side? I am using After Effects CC 2015.