Paint & Stick
  • I've the original ver 1.55 of Paint & Stick and in the Effects Controls UI, I see there's a 2.0.0 available.  However, on the compatability tab, CS6 is no longer listed for 2.1.0.

Is the latest version no longer usable in CS6?
    That's correct
  • Hi , I am a paint only user and I got to say, this is really a fun plugIn. Or better: it would be, if it would run stable. In my opinion it is almost impudent to take money for such an unstable piece of beta software! 
    I got autosave on "every minute" because it crashes about every five to ten minutes. The painted frames freeze, refresh button doesn't work and other huge bugs. 
    Any chance there will be an update soon and I get a fully functioning plugIn?

• I cannot change the color of my brushes, not even the default ones (screenshot attached). My menu doesn't look like the tutorial, and I've only just downloaded it so I'm pretty sure it is up-to-date. I only have Paint since I'm not working with anything 3D.

Running OS 10.13.3, AfterEffects 15.0.0
  • I don't have the brush submenu in my under the Paint and Stick effects menu. It won't let me change color or anything. Running OS 10.13.3 After Effects 15.0.0
  • Hi, has there been any development on 3DS Max compatibility? Thanks!
  • Hi, the installer doesn't show C4D R19.
    Sorry, but there have not been very many 3DS Max users interested in the exporter, the vast majority of our users have been C4D. At this time, we have decided not to build a 3DS Max or Maya exporter.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Paint & Stick Product Manager
  • Hi, the installer doesn't show C4D R19.
    Hey, sorry for that oversight, the plugin from C4D R18 required no changes when updating to C4D R19, so we did not update the installer. You can just go to install the R18 plugin by checking the checkbox for it, then under the "Location" column, click where it says plugins and re-direct it to the R19 plugins directory. This directory on Mac is "Applications/Maxon/Cinema 4D R19/plugins". On Windows, it always installs to the desktop due to installer limitations, and can be manually moved to the plugins folder. "C/Program Files/Maxon/Cinema 4D R19/plugins".

Cheers,
    Chris
  • I bought the paint-only version and have been really disappointed. it's amazing when it works, but in practice after a very short while it always starts refusing to refresh the image, going into some weird state where previous or deleted frames refuse to disappear (even sticking on screen at the same size while the rest of the comp is zoomed in or out!) and generally acting buggy... clicking the paint + stick refresh tool rarely does much and even clearing the AE cache and memory has no effect.
     aaand it just right now completely crashed with spinning pinwheel :-/
  • Tim Drage said:
    I bought the paint-only version and have been really disappointed. it's amazing when it works, but in practice after a very short while it always starts refusing to refresh the image, going into some weird state where previous or deleted frames refuse to disappear (even sticking on screen at the same size while the rest of the comp is zoomed in or out!) and generally acting buggy... clicking the paint + stick refresh tool rarely does much and even clearing the AE cache and memory has no effect.
     aaand it just right now completely crashed with spinning pinwheel :-/

sorry to hear you are experiencing trouble, please open a support ticket and we can assist you directly https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • I constantly keep getting crashes on AE 2018 running OS. Could you let me know if P&S would be more stable on a different AE version.

Thanks
  • Hi, I downloaded the trial last night and it worked great, but is there any way to get a hard-edge brush like the pencil mode in photoshop/mspaint? I tried setting the anti-alias level to 0 in the settings, but it was still softening the edges of the strokes.
  • Is it already r20 ready, or will there be a new installer/version?
  • It's a shame there's no Maya exporter for this. Would a standard UV pass work though?

Sorry, but there have not been very many 3DS Max users interested in the exporter, the vast majority of our users have been C4D. At this time, we have decided not to build a 3DS Max or Maya exporter.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Where can I show interest in the 3ds max exporter? Is there a place I can send people to show interest in it? Like vote on it or something? Being able to use this with 3ds max would be so amazing.

- Adam
  • Hiya I'm currently using the trial and the Paint & Stick plugin isnt showing up in the plugins dropdown within C4D
  • Hiya I'm currently using the trial and the Paint & Stick plugin isnt showing up in the plugins dropdown within C4D

make sure that you select your c4d plugins folder on the mac installer or that you copy the plugin from the desktop on windows. if you need further assistance please open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • Currently trying the thing out. Just wondering if there are more brushes available for download? or a tutorial on how to create my own brushes?

• Currently trying the thing out. Just wondering if there are more brushes available for download? or a tutorial on how to create my own brushes?

https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/paint-and-stick/

There's a tutorial "Painting Background Elements with Custom Brushes" on this page, please take a look.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Are there any tips to make the just the ID and Sticky passes render faster in C4D?
  • Are there any tips to make the just the ID and Sticky passes render faster in C4D?
    Sorry to say I don't think very much will influence the render speed beyond common factors which influence rendering speed for all renderers. Reducing the number of objects and polycount, lowering the resolution, etc... I'm sure that's not the answer you wanted, but I can't think of anything specific to the C4D exporter.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Are there any tips to make the just the ID and Sticky passes render faster in C4D?
  • Fair enough. Do you know of any render farms that support Paint & Stick?
  • Fair enough. Do you know of any render farms that support Paint & Stick?
    We can work with any render-farm, please have them reach out to us if they don't already have it and we can set them up.
  • I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Pixel Plow support :D Also I found that unchecking "Render Scene" in the Paint & Stick Settings helped render times significantly.
  • Is it possibe to create proxies of the Sticky and ID passes for faster playback in AE?
  • I have a 1600 frame comp that I'm succesfully sticking live comps in however the "sticking process" takes quite a long time. Could I save time by breaking up the 1600 frame comp into separate shots with a shorter duration?
  • Is it possibe to create proxies of the Sticky and ID passes for faster playback in AE?
    I have never actually created a proxy, since any compression will break up the stuck paint. That being said the best 'proxy' would be a full quality half res, or quarter res.
  • I have a 1600 frame comp that I'm succesfully sticking live comps in however the "sticking process" takes quite a long time. Could I save time by breaking up the 1600 frame comp into separate shots with a shorter duration?
    I don't think breaking it up into smaller shots would make any difference. The processing is independent per frame, the plugin doesn't know what images it's going to receive before the time slider reaches to it, nor does it do any forward or backward motion processing. It just processes the frame it's given as it's given.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Thanks Chris, proxies don't seem to work with Paint & Stick... 

Based on your responses regarding duration, would you say that Paint & Stick would take the same amount of time to stick a 400 frame shot as it would a 1600 frame shot given that the same number of objects and complexity existed in each shot?
  • Can you please provide a list of render farms that do support Paint & Stick 2?
  • Thanks Chris, proxies don't seem to work with Paint & Stick... 

Based on your responses regarding duration, would you say that Paint & Stick would take the same amount of time to stick a 400 frame shot as it would a 1600 frame shot given that the same number of objects and complexity existed in each shot?
    Yes, I believe that in both sequences, 400 frames, or 1,600 frames, I'd say every frame for both sequences would take ~5 seconds to render. (5 being a number that I made up for hypothetical example, but the point is it shouldn't take 5 seconds to render a frame in the short sequence, and 10 seconds to render a frame in the long sequence.)

Currently I'm not aware of any farms that support Paint & Stick 2. There hasn't been a demand for it before your comment specifically, because for most users, the pass renders quick enough to be done locally. But if any farm wants our exporter, we will certainly give it to them. They can even get it from our demo installer, and it'll be fully functional because the pass itself is not watermarked.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hi there,

I downloaded the trail version and I'm trying to install it to the plugins folder of C4D R20 :/ I have tried everything mentioned below, yet, no luck :(  Any suggestions? 
  • Hi there,

I downloaded the trail version and I'm trying to install it to the plugins folder of C4D R20 :/ I have tried everything mentioned below, yet, no luck :(  Any suggestions? 
    The current version is not compatbile with R20 unfortunately
  • Hi there,

The current version is not compatbile with R20 unfortunately
    Thank you for the quick response. ;) 
  • Bought this, pretty amazing.

Still can't figure out how to turn photoshop brushes into the brush. it always makes a file but it won't show in the brush library no matter which way I go about it. 
  • Itgel Ito said:

Bought this, pretty amazing.

Still can't figure out how to turn photoshop brushes into the brush. it always makes a file but it won't show in the brush library no matter which way I go about it. 
    please open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • I do a lot of cell animation and this looked amazing. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed though! It's a great plug in - when it works - but I find it super buggy. I can't go 5 minutes without it acting up in different ways. The pen loses sensitivity (I read the workaround in FAQ but it happens so often, it really gets in the way of productivity to be creating a new solid every time), the frames don't always refresh, sometimes it just *doesn't* draw AT ALL, one time my entire animation was locked into the last frame - even going backwards in the timeline and the keyframes visible but no animation, and now it's just been plain crashing my After Effects. I hope you figure some of this stuff out in whatever next version you're working on for AE 2019. I would open a support ticket but I feel like you wouldn't be able to address all of these issues. I really want this to work, I love what it can do. Godspeed!
  • Curious is it planned or in progress to make Paint & Stick compatible with AE 2019? I found it to be a very useful tool. Thank you
  • Curious is it planned or in progress to make Paint & Stick compatible with AE 2019? I found it to be a very useful tool. Thank you

it is already compatible. please re-download the latest version which now has CC2019 as an install option
  • Are there any rumors, if the tool is going to work with C4D R20?
  • Are there any rumors, if the tool is going to work with C4D R20?
    You can use the R20 Plug-In Bridge to use it in R20.
  • Are you guys working on any upgrades to P+S for the new year? Preferably upgrades that allow for .abr brushes bigger than 1000px and may not have a .png and/or .json file attached?
  • Are you guys working on any upgrades to P+S for the new year? Preferably upgrades that allow for .abr brushes bigger than 1000px and may not have a .png and/or .json file attached?
    Yes, we have an update in the works but won't allow brushes bigger than 1000px as that limit is due to how memory is handled in AE.
  • I do a lot of cell animation and this looked amazing. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed though! It's a great plug in - when it works - but I find it super buggy. I can't go 5 minutes without it acting up in different ways. The pen loses sensitivity (I read the workaround in FAQ but it happens so often, it really gets in the way of productivity to be creating a new solid every time), the frames don't always refresh, sometimes it just *doesn't* draw AT ALL, one time my entire animation was locked into the last frame - even going backwards in the timeline and the keyframes visible but no animation, and now it's just been plain crashing my After Effects. I hope you figure some of this stuff out in whatever next version you're working on for AE 2019. I would open a support ticket but I feel like you wouldn't be able to address all of these issues. I really want this to work, I love what it can do. Godspeed!
    I installed the latest versions of After Effects 2019 and Paint & Stick 2 tonight on my Windows 10 system.  Within the space of not much more than one hour of rotoscoping work, I encountered every single one of the bugs Andrew listed above, multiple times.  I bought Paint & Stick back when 1.0 was first released, but never had the time or opportunity to use it until today.  I was convinced that it was the right tool for the job, but after what I've just experienced, and seeing similar comments from others, I'm having serious doubts.  Can you please at least confirm that these are all known issues, and that they are being actively addressed?
  • With regards to the future update, will you be introducing brushes based on common drawing utensils (pencil/pen/airbrush) to your roster, as opposed to the effects brushes that regularly show up?
  • Hi

In the video tutorial it kind of sounds like any solid layer that the Paint and Stick effect gets added to has to be a 2D one. Is that the case? I'm looking to create hand drawn effects on solids that are tracked to footage in 3D space via a solved 3D Camera Track, so obviously the solids need to be 3D. Will Paint and Stick work in 3D space?

Thanks

Jason
  • Hi

In the video tutorial it kind of sounds like any solid layer that the Paint and Stick effect gets added to has to be a 2D one. Is that the case? I'm looking to create hand drawn effects on solids that are tracked to footage in 3D space via a solved 3D Camera Track, so obviously the solids need to be 3D. Will Paint and Stick work in 3D space?

Thanks

Jason
    You would draw on a 2D plane then track that plane into your 3D scene
  • Hi,

I just reinstalled Creative Cloud including After Effects both CC17 and CC19.

When I run the Paint n Stick Installer, it only recognizes the CC17 Version, but not the CC19 Version.

Any tips? Thanks in advance!
    Chris

• Hi,

I just reinstalled Creative Cloud including After Effects both CC17 and CC19.

When I run the Paint n Stick Installer, it only recognizes the CC17 Version, but not the CC19 Version.

Any tips? Thanks in advance!
    Chris

Choose the location of your CC2019 manually. If you need further assistance please open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/
  • Hello,

The plugin looks great. But is there any problem with the imported brushes ?
    I created brushes on photoshop (500x500px), when i try to import, nothing works and AE crashes after a while.
    Can't figure out if it is a reccurent problem on paint & stick or if it is my configuration... ?!

Windows 10, AE 2018