• Oh. My. God.

YES!
  • Hello,

Could you upload tutorials that show how to use your plugin to create the animations in your intro video, specifically the pencil drawing the line?  I intend to track the pencil tip as the artist makes their strokes and use your tool to draw the "digital" path(s) one stroke at a time.  Does that make sense and can my goal be achieved?

Cheers,

Quint
  • Hello,

Could you upload tutorials that show how to use your plugin to create the animations in your intro video, specifically the pencil drawing the line?  I intend to track the pencil tip as the artist makes their strokes and use your tool to draw the "digital" path(s) one stroke at a time.  Does that make sense and can my goal be achieved?

Cheers,

Quint
    Working on a "Quick Start" video to add to the page for sure.

For your specific use, I'm not sure Wayfinder will be the best option since you're starting with a position path and going to a shape path. Wayfinder is intended to go in the opposite direction… taking a shape path and attaching things to it. But definitely grab the trial and see if it works for you. It's only limited to 7 days and 5 points.

But here's how I created the pencil…
    1. Draw a scribble-like path with the pen tool.
    2. Add effects like Roughen Edges to get a more gritty look.
    3. With the shape layer selected, click "Attach Layers" to get 1 null on the end.
    4. Parent pencil artwork.
    5. Keyframe the "End" property of Wayfinder Leader effect to get a draw-on effect.
    6. Bonus: keyframe rotation on the null to give a little more life to the pencil.
  • Paul, no matter what I do, selecting my layer (the layer that is following a shape layer) and choosing "auto orient to path" does not make the layer orient to the path. When I animated the end of my original shape layer, the layer follows like it should, but doesn't rotate according to the shape layer's curves. I am trying to make an arrowhead follow a curving line, as in one of your examples. 
  • Paul, no matter what I do, selecting my layer (the layer that is following a shape layer) and choosing "auto orient to path" does not make the layer orient to the path. When I animated the end of my original shape layer, the layer follows like it should, but doesn't rotate according to the shape layer's curves. I am trying to make an arrowhead follow a curving line, as in one of your examples. 
    Auto-orient can sometimes be fickle depending on parenting. Try parenting the arrowhead to the original shape layer. It should orient itself in relation to the shape after that. Please let me know if that doesn't work.
  • I'm having the same issue with Auto-Orient. In your documentation, you write, "To orient layers to the shape, the layer must be moving and have "Auto Orientation" set to  "Orient Along Path".

What exactly do you mean when you say, "... the layer must be moving..."? I have attached my layer to the shape, then on my attached layer, I am animating the "position" attribute of the Wayfinder Follower slider. Is that what you mean by "moving"?

I tried parenting my layer to the shape layer with auto orient / orient along path, but it's not working. BTW, I'm using the trial version if that makes a difference. I'd like to purchase, but only if I can make the layers auto orient. Thanks for your help.

And, I'm using AE CC 2017.
  • Hi Paul,

I got it to work. Once you set the keyframes for the position slider, then it will auto-orient. Before, I was just sliding the values to preview what it would look like, and auto orient didn't work. Only after setting keyframes did it work. Thanks Paul, great plug in!

Mike
  • Hi Paul,

I got it to work. Once you set the keyframes for the position slider, then it will auto-orient. Before, I was just sliding the values to preview what it would look like, and auto orient didn't work. Only after setting keyframes did it work. Thanks Paul, great plug in!

Mike
    Glad you got it to work! Due to the nature of expressions, auto-orient on the layers can be finicky. I'll be more clear in the readme. I do have a more proper auto-orient on the roadmap.
  • Just want to share a tip in order to avoid problems with auto orient when parenting a arrow head to Shape Layer 1.Null1.
    I put this expression to Shape Layer 1.Null1's rotation:

try{
    t1 = parent.effect("Wayfinder Leader")("End").key(1).time;
    t2 = parent.effect("Wayfinder Leader")("End").key(2).time;
    vecteur1 = toCompVec([1,0], t1+thisComp.frameDuration);
    radians1 = Math.atan2(vecteur1[1], vecteur1[0]);
    r1 = radiansToDegrees(radians1);
    vecteur2 = toCompVec([1,0], t2-thisComp.frameDuration);
    radians2 = Math.atan2(vecteur2[1], vecteur2[0]);
    r2 = radiansToDegrees(radians2);
    if(time <= t1) r1 else if(time>= t2) r2 else value;
    }catch(e){value}

Hope it helps
  • Just want to share a tip in order to avoid problems with auto orient when parenting a arrow head to Shape Layer 1.Null1.
    I put this expression to Shape Layer 1.Null1's rotation:

try{
    t1 = parent.effect("Wayfinder Leader")("End").key(1).time;
    t2 = parent.effect("Wayfinder Leader")("End").key(2).time;
    vecteur1 = toCompVec([1,0], t1+thisComp.frameDuration);
    radians1 = Math.atan2(vecteur1[1], vecteur1[0]);
    r1 = radiansToDegrees(radians1);
    vecteur2 = toCompVec([1,0], t2-thisComp.frameDuration);
    radians2 = Math.atan2(vecteur2[1], vecteur2[0]);
    r2 = radiansToDegrees(radians2);
    if(time <= t1) r1 else if(time>= t2) r2 else value;
    }catch(e){value}

Hope it helps

That’s a nice fix for the limitation on auto-orient with expression based position.
    I am working on a point release to allow orientation without keyframes. Hopefully out soon after a little more testing.
  • Is it possible to attach an object (not a shape)? For example, I have a psd object and I want it to follow the shape layer. Possible?
  • @David Moscowitz That’s absolutely possible. Just select your shape layer first, then the PSD object, then click on Attach Layers.
  • I have directly attached 5 Layers (actually PreComps) to a Path (Shape Layer). Now I want to distribute them along the path but no matter what I do, they all stick at the same location. I tried changing thePath Placement and Path Offset values in the Layer Efffects Control Panel but they stick at the same location. What I am doing wrong? 
  • @Pascal Greuter can you submit a support ticket with a copy of your project file? It sounds like you’re doing things right.
    My only thought is if you duplicated the comp *after* it was attached instead of before attaching.
  • hey! Great script...i'm animating a sleigh and reindeers along a path (i mean, this month...who isn't....), however, the main path:....manually scrubbing the offset of the main path trim, all the objects rotate perfectly, BUT the second you key frame it, the rotation goes haywire.....any tips?
  • @Scott Marlow Can you open a support ticket and attach a project file? I’d like to see what you mean by “going haywire”.
  • I cant get anything to auto orientate once i start to key frame - sounds like the same problem @scott marlow had. did this get resolved ?
  • Any work around to get this working in CS6? Could really do with this tool!

Unfortunately not. The expressions Wayfinder relies on were first introduced in AE v13.2.

Unfortunately not. The expressions Wayfinder relies on were first introduced in AE v13.2.
    Damn.... :( 
  • Damn.... :( 
    I feel your pain.
  • Does it work with 3d transformation?
  • Does it work with 3d transformation?
    This should work with 3D layers. I just noticed a bug where if a layer is already 3D when Wayfinder is applied, the null is not yet placed in 3D. So after applying, you'll just have to enable 3D on the null manually.

I'd encourage you to download the trial and see if it works out for you. In the mean time, I'll work on that bug.
  • Yo conigs! I love this script. I've used it to make zippers and some other crazy stuff, but mostly I use it for arrows. Unfortunately duplicating it is difficult. Any suggestions for easy duplications? Yes, I know I could just remake the arrow easily, but I'm asking for the 45 seconds it would save me to set things back up. 
  • Yo conigs! I love this script. I've used it to make zippers and some other crazy stuff, but mostly I use it for arrows. Unfortunately duplicating it is difficult. Any suggestions for easy duplications? Yes, I know I could just remake the arrow easily, but I'm asking for the 45 seconds it would save me to set things back up. 

I’m glad it’s working for you! Duplicating would definitely be tricky manually as the expressions would have to be updated to reference the new layers. That’s something I’ll put on the road map for an update.
  • Hi there, love this plugin but I have run into a problem a couple times:
    1. Create a straight line Shape Layer with a stroke.
    2. Attach a null to the path.
    3. Link (with an expression) the "Wayfinder Follow-Path Placement" attribute in the Null to the "Wayfinder Leader-End" attribute in the Shape Layer.
    4. Animate the "End" attribute to create a stroke-on effect with the Null at the end of the stroke.
    Whenever I do this, the first and last keyframes are correct, the stroke ends right where the Null is, but in the middle where the animation is interpolating, the stroke and Null are offset.

Please see video & images here: https://imgur.com/a/wwgclGE

1st image is on the first keyframe
    2nd image is between the first and last
    3rd is on the last keyframe.
  • @Blair Richmond Can you submit a support ticket and attach the project file? I’d like to take a closer look at this.
  • Hi Paul - looks like a cool tool ! :-) 
    I am wondering how you are doing the write-on effect with the pencil? I have tried your script - and I can't get the "pen" and line to follow each other in sync. Is there a guide somewhere?

Best regards Søren

EDIT: I see that Blair Richmond describes the problem more precisely, in the post from April 2. 
    EDIT #2: I have done a test for you to see in a ticket as well. It is much the same problem - and keyframe interpolation is set to linear in both path follower and wayfinder leader. 
  • Is there a tutorial somewhere on getting started with Wayfinder?
  • Is there a tutorial somewhere on getting started with Wayfinder?
    Unfortunately not yet. I know it's not much consolation but it's been on my to-do list for a while. There is a PDF in the download to get you started. You can open a support ticket if you have any other questions.
  • Any chance this will be compatabile with AE 2020 soon?
  • Any chance this will be compatabile with AE 2020 soon?
    The current version of Wayfinder should be compatible with AE v17 (2020). If you’re running into any issues could you open a support ticket?
  • Does Wayfinder work with tapered strokes in AE
  • Does Wayfinder work with tapered strokes in AE
    It does indeed! 
  • When drawing a curved line, the nulls don't properly attach to the line. Works on straight lines, but curved it does not. After Effects 2021 v18.0.1
  • Does the plug in work on animated pre comps.
    I have an animation in one layer pre-comped and I would like to add this multiple times to a curved line.
    Every time I do this it adds the pre-comped layer in the same place along the line.

• I noticed an issue where if the path I'm planning to convert to a Wayfinder Leader already has position keyframes on it, it messes up the positioning of the points I attach to the path.

How I avoid this without losing all the position keyframing on my path layer I may have already done:
    - Create a null
    - Set null's position to path's position (at start of path's layer)
    - Copy all position keyframes from the path to the null
    - Delete all position keyframes from the path
    - Parent path to null
    - Attach all your Wayfinder layers to the path
    - Copy the position keyframes from the null back over to the path and delete that null
  • Hi. Do you have an estimate when Wayfinder will be updated to work on AE 2022, please? Many thanks.
  • Hi. Do you have an estimate when Wayfinder will be updated to work on AE 2022, please? Many thanks.
    Yeah, it would interest me to!
  • Paths need more than two points.
    Love this script! I use it all the time. One thing that I found out today though is that you need more than two points in you path for it to work. I had a super simple curve that i was trying to attach the null to - just pulled out the handles at either end to create an s curve and applied wayfinder. But it went nuts only worked for the first section jumped to the centre of the screen then jumped to the end. I finally figured out though that added an additional point was all that was required and it worked just fine . i hope this helps someone else
  • Would be cool if the script would create shape layer nulls instead of normal nulls. Cleaner project panel :)
  • When Update to make this script even better?
    For example the offset need to be easyer to achieve 
  • I would like to know that this plugin is compatible with AE 2023 before I make a purchase, is this still being maintained?
  • I would like to know that this plugin is compatible with AE 2023 before I make a purchase, is this still being maintained?
    Wayfinder is compatible with AE 23. I just updated the compatibility list. Sorry it was out of date.

Let me know if there are any other questions and feel free to test out the trial before purchasing.
  • getting errors in 2024.  Any plan on making this compatible?
  • getting errors in 2024.  Any plan on making this compatible?
    Could you please submit a support ticket detailing the errors and your AE installation? I'm unable to produce errors on AE v24 on macOS.