• looks amazing!
  • It looks great! I can't wait until it's released.
  • This looks so good! Can you give us an ETA, please?

Happy New Year, by the way :)

• Sorry for asking, but is the plugin actually available? Because the tutorials make it look like it has been released.
    Thanks.
  • Tried the demo, was wondering the effect doesn’t seem to work on 3d layers, that intentional or bug?
  • Applied it to an adjustment layer, scrubbed my timeline and AE immediately crashed (without even an alert, it just "went away"). iMac Pro, 128Gb RAM, Mojave, AE 2019. Let me know if I can help figure it out.
  • AE 2018, Windows 10. Applied Deep Glow to image layer, tried to adjust "Threshold" parameter, AE crashed.
  • How fast is it compared to Real Glow? I have RG and my main issue is how it becomes painfully slow when used on multiple layers. 

Is there a way to get a trial demo before actually purchasing Deep Glow?
  • Applied it to an adjustment layer, scrubbed my timeline and AE immediately crashed (without even an alert, it just "went away"). iMac Pro, 128Gb RAM, Mojave, AE 2019. Let me know if I can help figure it out.
     please open a support ticket.
  • AE 2018, Windows 10. Applied Deep Glow to image layer, tried to adjust "Threshold" parameter, AE crashed.
    please open a support ticket.
  • How fast is it compared to Real Glow? I have RG and my main issue is how it becomes painfully slow when used on multiple layers. 

Is there a way to get a trial demo before actually purchasing it?
    Yes, just click on the green TRY button: https://aescripts.com/deep-glow/

And yes it's much faster and is also GPU accelerated.

Is there a way to get a trial demo before actually purchasing it?
    Yes, just click on the green TRY button: https://aescripts.com/deep-glow/

And yes it's much faster and is also GPU accelerated.
    Thanks!
  • Tried the demo, was wondering the effect doesn’t seem to work on 3d layers, that intentional or bug?
    Hi Johnny

It should work on 3D layers. If you're referring to the alpha channel, unmult must be ticked for transparency to work. If it's still not working, please open a support ticket and include a screencapture and we'll investigate. Thanks. 
    Hi Robert

Apologies for this, we've now fixed this crash.
    Hi Brian

Apologies for this. I believe this was isolated to the watermark function and should be all fixed now. Please upgrade to the latest version.
  • This plugin replaced Real Glow. And yeah, it's much faster and more flrexible.
    But the most awesome feature of RG was Tint parameter. Do you plan to include any sort of custom colors/tint for the glow?
  • Good plugin : ) But when I try to use it on a 3d layer, the plugin not work correctly
  • Im getting multiple problems with this plugin after purchasing it. 
    1. the demo trial cross is still shown until I click the register button and then it disappear automatically after a few seconds, but it's still annoying nontheless. 

2. when I quit After Effects while having a Deep Glow effect on a layer I get this error message:
    ---------------------------
    After Effects
    After Effects warning: memory inefficiency due to 2 unbalanced layer checkouts

( 26 :: 248 )
    OK   

• Im getting multiple problems with this plugin after purchasing it. 
    1. the demo trial cross is still shown until I click the register button and then it disappear automatically after a few seconds, but it's still annoying nontheless. 

2. when I quit After Effects while having a Deep Glow effect on a layer I get this error message:

After Effects
    After Effects warning: memory inefficiency due to 2 unbalanced layer checkouts

( 26 :: 248 )
    OK   

please open a support ticket
  • I've been using this plugin on a new project, replacing RealGlow. It's great, but one thing I've noticed is that it adds some subtle colour noise to the whole image. It's very noticeable when you add it to a layer with a black background and then adjust exposure. I assume it's doing this to help stop banding on the glow? Could the noise be replaced with a dither effect - or better still give us the option of adding noise, dither or none?

Here's a screengrab example:

EDIT: I've found a work-around for the issue, by just applying a Levels effect to the glow layer and setting the black input to 1.0. Obviously, in the long term it would be good to fix this issue in the plugin itself though
  • Are you the same guys with a different name that also did Real Glow or why is this now recomendet instead of RG and released the same moment support is dropped for it?

I am pretty disappointed that support was already dropped for Real Glow without doing any updates at all on that one. What is your plan for supporting Deep Glow? I don't want to pay 50 Bugs every second year just to keep my glow sweet...
  • Are you the same guys with a different name that also did Real Glow or why is this now recomendet instead of RG and released the same moment support is dropped for it?

I am pretty disappointed that support was already dropped for Real Glow without doing any updates at all on that one. What is your plan for supporting Deep Glow? I don't want to pay 50 Bugs every second year just to keep my glow sweet...
    Different developers. Real Glow was not updated as there were never any reported issues with it and it still continued to work great.  What is changing is that there won't be future development on it as the developers are not working with After Effects anymore which is why we stopped selling new licenses but we were waiting until a worthy replacement was available hence the coordinated launch of Deep Glow.  If you have any issues with Real Glow please open a support ticket
  • I've been using this plugin on a new project, replacing RealGlow. It's great, but one thing I've noticed is that it adds some subtle colour noise to the whole image. It's very noticeable when you add it to a layer with a black background and then adjust exposure. I assume it's doing this to help stop banding on the glow? Could the noise be replaced with a dither effect - or better still give us the option of adding noise, dither or none?

Here's a screengrab example:

EDIT: I've found a work-around for the issue, by just applying a Levels effect to the glow layer and setting the black input to 1.0. Obviously, in the long term it would be good to fix this issue in the plugin itself though
    Hi Dan

You're right, this is to prevent banding as Deep Glow supports much larger radii than Real Glow. We're looking into a more elegant method in a future version, thanks for your dither suggestion. 
  • This plugin replaced Real Glow. And yeah, it's much faster and more flrexible.
    But the most awesome feature of RG was Tint parameter. Do you plan to include any sort of custom colors/tint for the glow?
    Hi Tommy

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't really use the RG tint setting since it turned the entire comp into one colour, but I understand everyone uses tools in different ways. We'll look into such functionality in the future.  
  • Downloaded the trial and like others, when scrubbing the timeline after DG is applied (Windows 10) AE hangs for a few seconds then application exits. Really like the effect, hope this issue is fixed before the promotion ends as I'm keen to buy.
  • This is really nice, but I am having the same experience as some others I see on here: it definitely does not work with 3D layers. When applied to a 3D layer in my scene, the layer simply disappears from view until I turn off the effect. No way around it.
    Please fix! I would love to recommend this to others but right now I'm having a hard time justifying the $40.
  • This is really nice, but I am having the same experience as some others I see on here: it definitely does not work with 3D layers. When applied to a 3D layer in my scene, the layer simply disappears from view until I turn off the effect. No way around it.
    Please fix! I would love to recommend this to others but right now I'm having a hard time justifying the $40.
    Hi Lucas

Could you please explain more the 3D layer issue you're having? I've created a 3D scene with multiple layers, each with Deep Glow applied directly to the 3D text and am not having any issues. I've also got unmult turned on for each layer. Here's a clip:
  • Downloaded the trial and like others, when scrubbing the timeline after DG is applied (Windows 10) AE hangs for a few seconds then application exits. Really like the effect, hope this issue is fixed before the promotion ends as I'm keen to buy.
    Hi David

We just recently released a patch to fix that issue, if you could please download it again and give it a whirl.
  • Unfortunately, Real Glow has a much more natural falloff. This plugin has visible banding and an obvious line where the edge of the glow ends in the footage I tested with it. If you're considering getting it to replace Real Glow, I would strongly advise downloading/comparing before buying it.
  • The glow is quite nice, but I am having issues when rendering. Precomps inside other comps generate large white areas when rendered, though not before.
  • The glow is quite nice, but I am having issues when rendering. Precomps inside other comps generate large white areas when rendered, though not before.

Please open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • Would be cool to have features for input masking, for example, mask by layer shape masks or based on another layers luminance or alpha.
  • Wade Ha said:
    Unfortunately, Real Glow has a much more natural falloff. This plugin has visible banding and an obvious line where the edge of the glow ends in the footage I tested with it. If you're considering getting it to replace Real Glow, I would strongly advise downloading/comparing before buying it.
    Hi Wade, thanks for your honest feedback. We opted for a slightly different blending algorithm for DG compared to RG. However due to user feedback (including yours) we're going to add the option to use the same blending RG uses such that the results will be nearly identical. This will be in the next release, which should be at max one week away. 
  • Would be cool to have features for input masking, for example, mask by layer shape masks or based on another layers luminance or alpha.
    Hi Ubiquiti

Thanks for your suggestion. We'll consider this in a future update. 
  • Hi there! When i'm using deep glow on a mov footage with png codec - all become slow as hell, and i cannot work at all. What should i do with that?
  • I don't understand, how to use this glow with some elements with alpha. It's filling all alpha with black, and when i'm using unmult - i  lost all black elements
  • I'd love an option to use this on layers with an alpha channel. For example, I was trying to create a glow on a UFO's tractor beam but I can't apply the glow without making everything else in the comp turn black. 
  • Wade Ha said:
    Unfortunately, Real Glow has a much more natural falloff. This plugin has visible banding and an obvious line where the edge of the glow ends in the footage I tested with it. If you're considering getting it to replace Real Glow, I would strongly advise downloading/comparing before buying it.
    Hi Wade, thanks for your honest feedback. We opted for a slightly different blending algorithm for DG compared to RG. However due to user feedback (including yours) we're going to add the option to use the same blending RG uses such that the results will be nearly identical. This will be in the next release, which should be at max one week away. 
    Amazing! Thanks for considering my feedback. Will be looking for the update. Would be happy to have a single plugin for both glow looks!
  • I'd love an option to use this on layers with an alpha channel. For example, I was trying to create a glow on a UFO's tractor beam but I can't apply the glow without making everything else in the comp turn black. 
    Hi Trevor

If you apply the glow directly to the tractor beam, you'll want to turn on unmult to receive an alpha channel. Please let me know if that's not giving you the result you're after. 
  • I don't understand, how to use this glow with some elements with alpha. It's filling all alpha with black, and when i'm using unmult - i  lost all black elements
    Hi Dartr

If you'd like to add a glow to an element but also preserve blacks & retain your alpha channel, I'd duplicate the layer and add Deep Glow. Set the source opacity to 0, and then set that layers blend mode to add or screen, whichever you prefer. 
    Screenshot 2019-01-16 18.00.31.png
    1946 x 1252 - 697K
  • I'm having the same issue with Deep Glow lifting blacks even outside its radius. The whole frame gets shifted off black.

If this is an attempt to reduce banding, could you give us the option to switch it off? There are plenty of other things that may cause banding (eg grads, slow dissolves to black) so it's something we already have to deal with, and it's best dealt with once per shot/comp, rather than every layer doing its own thing.

Thanks!
  • I'm having the same issue with Deep Glow lifting blacks even outside its radius. The whole frame gets shifted off black.

If this is an attempt to reduce banding, could you give us the option to switch it off? There are plenty of other things that may cause banding (eg grads, slow dissolves to black) so it's something we already have to deal with, and it's best dealt with once per shot/comp, rather than every layer doing its own thing.

Thanks!
    Hi Howard

Thanks for your feedback. Other users have also made this request, and I'm pleased to say we'll have the update out tomorrow that allows this feature to be fine-tuned and turned on/off. 
  • To expand on what Mr Whiffin says above: 99.9% of the time, adding glow to stuff with an alpha channel works better if you dedicate a layer to it. Alpha channels allow you to have partial transparency, but there's no way for AE (or any other compositor) to know whether a given pixel ought to be *added* to an underlying pixel, rather than blended(*). A source image with Alpha usually needs some pixels (like the anti-aliasing around the edge of objects) to be linearly blended with the underlying image, but pixels that form part of the glow generally ought to be added to what's underneath.

So if you want the best looking glow on a layer, dupe the layer, optionally use Set Matte to matte it with black (which can make things more controllable), and then add the glow. Make sure the glow effect (whether Deep Glow or AE's native Glow, Trapcode Shine etc) has the Source amount set to None or 0%, so you only have the glow itself. Now set this new layer's mode to Add and make sure its above the original one. This'll give you a consistent, sexy glow every time. Baby.

(*) which explains the problem AE's glow effect always used to exhibit: if you applied it to a layer with transparency, like text, a dark shadow would appear around parts of the image that weren't bright enough to hit the glow threshold
  • Big Differences between DeepGlow 1.1 and 1.0.1

I have just upgraded to DeepGlow 1.1 and the first thing I have noted is a BIG difference on how it works over the same image, comparing 1.1 vs 1.0.1, when applying using the Default Settings. I mean, just when you apply for the first time the plugin or when you press the “Reset” option.

Please, see attached 3 images:

— First is a simple triangle render, withoupt plugin

— Second is what you get once you apply DeepGlow 1.0.1 (default, whitout any tweaking) ---> I LOVE THIS

— Third is what you get once you apply DeepGlow 1.1 (default, whitout any tweaking)

The third one is almost identical to the first one.

I can understand that a SMALL difference could appear between diferent versions. But this is a BIG difference.

Imagine I have applied 1.0.1 to a big serious project, then upgrade to 1.1 and my project appears COMPLETELY different… This would be a PITA.

Do you consider this normal? Or maybe some strange thing occurred here?

Thanks.

PD1: Added an extra simple triangle image to test 1.1 versus 1.0.1

EDIT:

Now I have discovered a clue for you! ;-)

This difference on 1.0.1 versus 1.1 occurs ONLY when you work on an AE project using 16 bcp (Project Settings / Color / Depth).

Working using 8 or 32 bpc all goes fine.

Resuming:

- With DeepGlow 1.0.1 you get exactly the same results applying over my triangle example, no matter you use 8, 16 or 32 bpc

- With DeepGlow 1.1 you get the same result applying over my triangle example, ONLY if you use 8 or 32 bpc. If you use 16 bpc you get a completely different result (almost without glow)

I ever work at 16 bpc by default. And my original examples where using that depth.

PLEASE:

Make a try with my triangle example and DeepGlow 1.0.1 and then cycle between 8-16-32 bpc (no differences)

Make a try with my triangle example and DeepGlow 1.1 (16 bpc will show a completely different result, almost no Glow appreciated…)

Thanks for your support!

Deep_Glow_Differences.png
    1920 x 640 - 497K
    01_plain.png
    640 x 640 - 30K
  • Big Differences between DeepGlow 1.1 and 1.0.1

Thanks Cristobal, this has been addressed in the v1.1.1 patch. 
  • Problem one, when I apply the blur I can clearly see the Line where the edge of the glow ends. 
    Problem two, when I apply glow on Pre-composed 3D layer, layer disappear. 

Is this going to be fixed? 

• Problem one, when I apply the blur I can clearly see the Line where the edge of the glow ends. 
    Problem two, when I apply glow on Pre-composed 3D layer, layer disappear. 

Is this going to be fixed? 

Hi Dustin

Issue one, is this using gamma correction in a linear workspace?
    Issue two will be fixed in the version 1.2 release coming very soon. 
  • I have a 1920x1080 comp that has a combination of Pre-comps, as well as, AI layers. When I apply deep glow to one of these layers, I'm getting an error from After Effects that says invalid image buffer size. If I pre-comp the layer I want to apply deep glow to, and then apply it within the pre-comp, it seems to work fine. Happy to pass my project file along if that helps. Thanks!
  • I have a 1920x1080 comp that has a combination of Pre-comps, as well as, AI layers. When I apply deep glow to one of these layers, I'm getting an error from After Effects that says invalid image buffer size. If I pre-comp the layer I want to apply deep glow to, and then apply it within the pre-comp, it seems to work fine. Happy to pass my project file along if that helps. Thanks!
    Yes, please open a support ticket and submit it.
    Hi Jeff

Apologies for this inconvenience. Just checking if you're on version 1.2 as it addressed a similar issue.