malty: Simple Camera Rig
  • Phil Renn said:
    yes it did. as explained in the tutorial you don't want to animate the speed parameters. if you do, you should only animate them up, so, from 0 to 30 for example, not the other way around. the best way to do what you're looking for is to keyframe the parameters you're interested in. you can also keyframe the position of the camControls layer itself. you can do that even though there are expressions applied. just don't turn them off.
    How do you do this? You must be able to 'STOP' the movment of the camera. I can not keyframe any of the 'expressioned' parameters in red. I want a full stop but it jusrt keeps moving.
    Its a great script, but this has got me pulling my hair out!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

Didn't I said YOU CAN animate the red (expressioned) parameters in the comment of mine you quoted? :)
    Yes YOU CAN animate the red position with keyframes. Just don't turn off the expressions. Keep them on and create keyframes like you normally would.
  • Same problem in CC2017. unfortunately does not work anymore.
    MAX
  • Max - do you mean the plugin generally isn't working for you? I used it just the other day and it seemed to be working fine for me (latest version of AE)
  • Same issue for me.  Working the other day... and even opened a project with Simple Camera Rig already applied and didn't have any issues... but now, when I try to run the script on a new camera I get the error that files are missing, or it wasn't installed correctly, etc.  I've tried installing it new the Scripts folder, the ScriptsUI folder, etc., and have no luck.
  • had to edit...

ughh... my version of AE is not supported... CC 2017...

any chance of that happening?
  • I really wish I could tell you all why you expirience problems, but I cannot.

• The script does work in all versions of AE as far back as CS3 (and probably even before that).
    • The script doesn't care what you use with (Element, Particular, Plexus, Stardust, whatever)
    • It's not a plugin. It doesn't change or add anything new to AE. It's just making it more useful. In essence - it's just a regular camera with a couple of nulls and expressions. As long as those work, the script works.
    • And... I'm sorry to say that, and I know it's hard to believe, but all the errors I get today are user based. This script is 9 years old. It's older than aescripts itself. It had plenty time to grow and to get the bugs out. Thrust me - there are none. Most common user based mistake is improper file extraction from the ZIP. Please make sure everything is where it supposed to be.
    Try to think what and where might have gone wrong while extracting the files. Just put the entire content into After Effects / Scripts folder. Can't be simpler than that, can it?

I know there's an installer for AEScripts now and I will be incorporating that some time in the future, along with some new features.

Cheers
  • Love the script. Always have. I recently downloaded it and it extracts with winrar just fine...until I try to extract the control files and the archive. I get a message that the file is corrupted or damaged.

Any ideas are appreciated. Hope I can figure this out. Thanks Jerzy!
  • Why oh why do you try to extract something that is not the initial file. I will change the ACE extension into something else. Users obviously get confused because it's a compression file extension as well. DO NOT EXTRACT ACE FILES. Just the ZIP you downloaded. Nothing else. The files are not corrupted. They are NOT compressed archives. The file extension is just a coincidence :) Enjoy the script. New version is coming soon.
  • It’s been awhile since I’ve used your Rig.

Can I have multiple malty camera rigs in one comp? I’d like to cut from a few different camera angles each with it’s own slow movement. 

Do you have any specific tutorials on this? The one I’ve seen doesn’t cut, but sort of zooms quickly between angles.

When I try to add more than one currently, it breaks the first malty camera.

Thanks

• It’s been awhile since I’ve used your Rig.

Can I have multiple malty camera rigs in one comp? I’d like to cut from a few different camera angles each with it’s own slow movement. 

Do you have any specific tutorials on this? The one I’ve seen doesn’t cut, but sort of zooms quickly between angles.

When I try to add more than one currently, it breaks the first malty camera.

Thanks

No you can't. And you really shouldn't. I would recommend just making one comp that has all those 3d elements you want, and then making each camera angle a different composition containing your 3d composition with collapsed transformations turned on. Works like a charm.
  • Hi! Do you plan to update the script for the new Java engine? Few expressions are broken unless it is used Legacy EntendScript. Thanks!
  • Hello, Just updated to After Effects 2019 and it seems the script is not compatible with it !? 
  • Hi, 
    I recently upgrade my after Effects to the latest version (2019) and my malty camera isn't working with it, could you help me with this matter. Thanks! 
  • Hi! Is Simple Camera Rig, one of my all-time favoriate scripts, now dead? Thanks for any info!
  • I'm having the same issue.  Installed CC2019 and the rig doesn't work.  I'd really like to see an update/fix cause I use this plugin constantly.

Thanks

• I forgot to mention.  I know it's been a number of years so I will happily PAY for a new version of Simple Camera Rig 
  • For those of you struggling with Simple Camera Rig in CC 2019 (ver. 16), it's because of incompatibilities with JavaScript expression engine in the October 2018. You'll get an error like "Undefined values used in expression". 

You can work around this with the following: 

- File > Project Settings > Expressions, select the "Legacy ExtendScript" engine.

Hope this helps somebody! 

Vince

• I was having problems with the camera rig, but the previous post fixes my issues. Thank you.
  • BADA BING!!!
    Thank you, Vincent!

For those of you struggling with Simple Camera Rig in CC 2019 (ver. 16), it's because of incompatibilities with JavaScript expression engine in the October 2018. You'll get an error like "Undefined values used in expression". 

- File > Project Settings > Expressions, select the "Legacy ExtendScript" engine.

Vince

• Thank you so much Vince, this just helped me a lot!!
  • Anyone using AE 2019 don't bother with this even if you fix it via changing the scripting engine.  Not sure what's going on behind the scenes but it is now PAINFULLY slow.  At first I was playing with the camera rig with the Nodes 2 plugin and it was so slow it was unusable.  A regular AE camera was just fine.  Also, I did a test with basic solid layers in 3d and though Malty still works it is slower than just creating a camera.

I say all of this with sadness because I really like this malty script but until it's updated for 2019 don't bother.  I'm guessing something to do with the scripting is just bogging it all down.
  • Please fix for Ae 2019!!! Thank you! :)

....I want to be able to continue using the latest version of JavaScript and not be forced to have Ae use File > Project Settings > Expressions > Expression Engine: Legacy ExtendScript.
  • For those of you struggling with Simple Camera Rig in CC 2019 (ver. 16), it's because of incompatibilities with JavaScript expression engine in the October 2018. You'll get an error like "Undefined values used in expression". 

Vince

Thanks for this tip, Vince!  

Also: Love Simple Camera Rig, use it all the time and would happily pay for a refresher/update.  
  • Hi,

I am getting expression errors. It appears that it's happening on the camera
    in the position, depth of field and focus distance parameters. I upgraded AE and
    the system. Is this related? I never had this problem before.

thanks
    Lori
  • In After Effects 2019, the script panel is blank, so I'm only able to create a Camera setup by running the script.

Why is the script panel blank?  I haven't used this script in ages, I can't remember how it's meant to look.
  • Glad that I read the comments before buying this. I was so excited about it! Too bad. I'm going to wait for an updated version.
  • Will this cool product be updated for the Latest version of AE?
  • Oh yes that would be rather fine to have it for the latest CC. Copying in old Comps with the effect beeing applied by former CC Versions is no longer a good idea.
  • rest in peace .