Joystick 'n Sliders
  • Hi. I love the plug-in but I'm experiencing huge delays when opening a comp that contains a head rig using Joysticks n Sliders. Has it been optimised for Javascript, because it's quite frustrating having to wait 10 seconds every time I open up a head comp that contains the Joysticks n Sliders expressions. It's also very very slow to chain and unchain the key poses. Around 10 seconds as well. I sincerely hope you can help me out. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I'm on a 2016 MacBookPro using the latest Adobe software, so speed really shouldn't be an issue.

Hi Joaquim,
    Performance varies with the complexity of your rigs. The most taxing is rigging path shapes. If you rig them sparingly, you can speed up your rig.
    Also, using the update pathshapes tool will bake keys and bypass those expressions to peed up your rig.
  • Hi!

Really great script, I'm enjoying it a lot! :) However, I'm experiencing a bit of a problem. It goes like this:

I'm working on a facial rig. For it I have one "master composition" just for the rigging. This composition is just 5 frames long and is where I create the 5 face positions and the joysticks to control each face feature. Then I precompose eveything and send every joystick to the parent Comp so I have a clearer workspace. Once in the parent composition I use Time Remapping to enlarge the master rigging composition (as it is only 5 frames long), but here's when the joysticks start acting weird. When trying to animate them, they seem to have lost the positions references. I can move them, but the facial features start moving very very little. So little that I have to drag the joysticks way out of their boundaries to get the face position I want. Maybe the system that I'm using is not how JnS was intended to work or maybe is cause of the Time Remapping... Any clues about what could be happening?

Thanks!
  • Hi!

Really great script, I'm enjoying it a lot! :) However, I'm experiencing a bit of a problem. It goes like this:

I'm working on a facial rig. For it I have one "master composition" just for the rigging. This composition is just 5 frames long and is where I create the 5 face positions and the joysticks to control each face feature. Then I precompose eveything and send every joystick to the parent Comp so I have a clearer workspace. Once in the parent composition I use Time Remapping to enlarge the master rigging composition (as it is only 5 frames long), but here's when the joysticks start acting weird. When trying to animate them, they seem to have lost the positions references. I can move them, but the facial features start moving very very little. So little that I have to drag the joysticks way out of their boundaries to get the face position I want. Maybe the system that I'm using is not how JnS was intended to work or maybe is cause of the Time Remapping... Any clues about what could be happening?

Thanks!
    Hi Albert,
    Sorry for the delay. I see what's going on, and the time remapping is indeed messing things up. When you move a controller to its parent comp, JnS assumes that both comps are running at 100% speed. 
  • So I don't know if it's an error, or a mistake I am making, but...

I have 3 different sliders in a comp. They all work, when accessed through the effect panel on the null.
    However, when I create a UI slider, it works great... but as soon as I make a 2nd UI slider for the next one, it links back to the first one, as well.
    Thoughts?

I am getting this same error.

• So I don't know if it's an error, or a mistake I am making, but...

I have 3 different sliders in a comp. They all work, when accessed through the effect panel on the null.
    However, when I create a UI slider, it works great... but as soon as I make a 2nd UI slider for the next one, it links back to the first one, as well.
    Thoughts?

I am getting this same error.

This is probably cause by naming conflicts. Make sure your slider effects have different names or they will get confused
  • Hi all,

great script indeed. I have a question for using this with switch templates AND a extra rigged mouth. As follows:

1. I would like to rig a head with joysticks
    2. I would like to rig the mouth with joysticks
    3. I would like to use the switch templates to switch between the states of the turning head BUT / AND the rigged mouth, so where ever the head is turning, the rigged mouth reacts accordingly. 

IMHO I can only use switch templates for static pictures - right? Otherwise I would have to rigg the mouth and place it into the switch template but how the joystick would control the several states of the mouth accordingly?

For me it's a little bit irritating.

Any suggestions / tutorials / examples?

Thank you so much for any hint!
  • Hi all,

great script indeed. I have a question for using this with switch templates AND a extra rigged mouth. As follows:

1. I would like to rig a head with joysticks
    2. I would like to rig the mouth with joysticks
    3. I would like to use the switch templates to switch between the states of the turning head BUT / AND the rigged mouth, so where ever the head is turning, the rigged mouth reacts accordingly. 

IMHO I can only use switch templates for static pictures - right? Otherwise I would have to rigg the mouth and place it into the switch template but how the joystick would control the several states of the mouth accordingly?

For me it's a little bit irritating.

Any suggestions / tutorials / examples?

Thank you so much for any hint!
    Hi Krystyna,
    for lots of rigs if you're doing lip sync, you will create a mouth pack for the left, center, and right angle of the character. You then set each mouth pose to a frame on each, being consistent which mouth post corresponds to which frame. Each angle mouth pack lives in its own comp. This works best if your timeline display is set to frames and not timecode.
    As you rig your character's head, put all three precomps on your character's head, as I demonstrate in my tutorial video. Enable time remapping on all three precomps, and pick-whip them all an expression slider on a null (this is just to have one universal controller for lip sync regardless of angle).
    Put your mouth pack precomps in your switch template, then rig that template to your joystick. Your mouth packs should swap opacity according to your joystick position, and their mouth shapes can be animated with your expression slider on your null.
  • seem like the slider has a bug, if you have 2 keyframed properties like position and color of a shape layer, and create a slider rig, it only create 1 slider to control both of position and color values. 
  • Hello, I have followed the instruction but the script doesn't work.
    It says:

After Effects warning: Expression Disabled
    Error at line 1 property 'Position' of layer 4 ('LEye') in Comp 'N'.

Object of type found where a Number, Array, or Property is needed.

Any solution to this problem?
    Thank you!
  • Hello, I have followed the instruction but the script doesn't work. It says: After Effects warning: Expression Disabled Error at line 1 property 'Position' of layer 4 ('LEye') in Comp 'N'. Object of type found where a Number, Array, or Property is needed. Any solution to this problem? Thank you!
    Hi Cissy,
    If you are using After Effects CC2019, you need to make sure you are running the latest version of Joysticks 'n Sliders, version 1.6.71. Adobe introduced a new expression engine in CC2019 that doesn't work with the expressions made by older versions of JnS. Once you update your JnS version, you should be good to go. If still having problems, open a support ticket. 
  • song meng said:
    seem like the slider has a bug, if you have 2 keyframed properties like position and color of a shape layer, and create a slider rig, it only create 1 slider to control both of position and color values. 
    Hi Song,
    JnS is working correctly for you. The purpose of Sliders isn't to make each slider control a different property, but to make each slider control any number of properties to reach a determined pose.
    To do what you want, you have to rig differently:
    key1: both properties keyframed at origin pose
    key2: position animated to different value, color keyframed at origin pose again.
    key3: position keyframed at origin pose, color animated to different value.

That will give you two sliders that control each property.
    -Mike O
  • Hello, I have followed the instruction but the script doesn't work. It says: After Effects warning: Expression Disabled Error at line 1 property 'Position' of layer 4 ('LEye') in Comp 'N'. Object of type found where a Number, Array, or Property is needed. Any solution to this problem? Thank you!
    Hi Cissy,
    If you are using After Effects CC2019, you need to make sure you are running the latest version of Joysticks 'n Sliders, version 1.6.71. Adobe introduced a new expression engine in CC2019 that doesn't work with the expressions made by older versions of JnS. Once you update your JnS version, you should be good to go. If still having problems, open a support ticket. 
    Thank you! It's solved (:
  • Hello there! First of all, thanks for all these scripts and plugins...they such a great help! I have got Joysticks 'n Sliders and works perfectly! I love it!
    Just one issue I couldn't fix (not even a real issue, just my ignorance probably) I wanted to make a breakdown section of my animation, where the joysticks and sliders are visible as they work (as I have seen in many posts) but, as soon as I precomp the actual composition they are in or make a render, sliders and joysticks disappear.
    Thanks in advance!
  • Hello there! First of all, thanks for all these scripts and plugins...they such a great help! I have got Joysticks 'n Sliders and works perfectly! I love it! Just one issue I couldn't fix (not even a real issue, just my ignorance probably) I wanted to make a breakdown section of my animation, where the joysticks and sliders are visible as they work (as I have seen in many posts) but, as soon as I precomp the actual composition they are in or make a render, sliders and joysticks disappear. Thanks in advance!
    Hi Milan,
    The controllers JnS makes are set as guide layers by default, indicated by the little blue grid icon next to the layer name. Right-click the layer and uncheck "Guide Layer" to make your controllers visible in your renders.

• Hello there! First of all, thanks for all these scripts and plugins...they such a great help! I have got Joysticks 'n Sliders and works perfectly! I love it!
    Just one issue I couldn't fix (not even a real issue, just my ignorance probably) I wanted to make a breakdown section of my animation, where the joysticks and sliders are visible as they work (as I have seen in many posts) but, as soon as I precomp the actual composition they are in or make a render, sliders and joysticks disappear.
    Thanks in advance!

Hi Milan,
    The controllers JnS makes are set as guide layers by default, indicated by the little blue grid icon next to the layer name. Right-click the layer and uncheck "Guide Layer" to make your controllers visible in your renders.

Hello there! First of all, thanks for all these scripts and plugins...they such a great help! I have got Joysticks 'n Sliders and works perfectly! I love it!
    Thanks in advance!

Hi Milan,

Thank you so much! It worked! How simple was that
  • Hi, I downloaded the trial version and the thing is that I cant animate the shape layers I.e. paths are not animating,
    sliders are working fine with position, scale and rotation but it's not working with paths,
  • Hi there,

the "Create UI Slider" button doesn't seem to be creating UI Sliders. I just updated my plugin version to 1.7. I have tried clicking the slider controller on the null object as well as the null object layer. When I click the "create" button nothing happens.

Thanks for the help!
  • Hi there,

the "Create UI Slider" button doesn't seem to be creating UI Sliders. I just updated my plugin version to 1.7. I have tried clicking the slider controller on the null object as well as the null object layer. When I click the "create" button nothing happens.

Thanks for the help!
    Hi Sonja,
    Thank you for pointing this out! Indeed I am seeing this same issue on my end and have found the bug. I will post a fix ASAP!
  • Hi there,

I created a Joystick which was working fine but for some reason, I cannot rebind the layers now that I have unbound them. Is there any solution?

Many thanks
  • Hi there,

I created a Joystick which was working fine but for some reason, I cannot rebind the layers now that I have unbound them. Is there any solution?

Many thanks
    Hi Dele,
    Can you open a support ticket so I can look into this issue?
    You can upload an aep that is causing this problem for you and I can have a look.
  • Hi,

I'm still confused about the Joystick Edge Bias option. Could you explain me how it works please ? thanks :)
  • Hi there,

Adore this script, thanks a million for all the work you've put into it, it really shows. Unfortunately however it has started crashing AE whenever I go to open the panel, all my other scripts seem to be working fine and I can't really find anyone else who has encountered this problem, any chance you would have some insight into this problem?

All the best,

Roo.
  • Hi, this script is brilliant! I'm just wondering if there is a way to have multiple joysticks in different comps for different scenes, coming from the same rig? For example, I have a head rig and I'll parent the joystick to one scene (say the character is outside a house) to do the 1st animation, however I want to use the same rig in another scene (inside the house) and animate it differently, can I achieve this? Do I need to re-create the head rig for the alternate scene? Hoping that makes sense.
  • Hello Mike! I just purchased Joysticks 'n Sliders, and I'm looking forward to integrating it into my workflow. Can the controls I create in Joysticks 'n Sliders be passed along to clients who don't have the plugin installed? Thanks, and forgive me if this info is already available somewhere, I couldn't locate it.
  • Hello Mike! I just purchased Joysticks 'n Sliders, and I'm looking forward to integrating it into my workflow. Can the controls I create in Joysticks 'n Sliders be passed along to clients who don't have the plugin installed? Thanks, and forgive me if this info is already available somewhere, I couldn't locate it.
    Hi Benjamin,
    Rigs you create with JnS can be shared with clients without them requiring the tool. They would only need it if they wanted to adjust your rigs.
  • Hi Mike. Best tool ever. unfortunately I just cannot get the Alt Modifier to work when releasing Layers so its all or nothing, any tips?
  • Hi Mike. Best tool ever. unfortunately I just cannot get the Alt Modifier to work when releasing Layers so its all or nothing, any tips?
    Hi Ben,
    I haven't had any problems regarding this. Which OS are you on? Select your joystick from the dropdown menu and select only the layers you want to unbind in your timeline. Holding Alt or option on mac, click the unbind button. This should only unbind the selected layers and keep the others bound.
  • Hi, I am struggling to get my head around using more than one joystick or slider in a comp.  I have a JS set up for head position (right, left, up down), but now I want to add a slider for the eye shape, and a slider for the mouth shape, but I get the error 'You will need at least two keyframes on each of your selected properties to set up sliders". Would you have a guide on setting up a rig with more than one JS/Slider? I am just not getting it.  Thanks in advanced.  Steve
    Hi Ben,
    I haven't had any problems regarding this. Which OS are you on? Select your joystick from the dropdown menu and select only the layers you want to unbind in your timeline. Holding Alt or option on mac, click the unbind button. This should only unbind the selected layers and keep the others bound.
    Hi Mike, I am on Windows 7 using cc2018 with J&S version 1.7. Yep I am afraid I have been through the procedure but its just doesnt work, no errors or hang-time, just no response.
    Hi Ben,
    Hi Mike, I am on Windows 7 using cc2018 with J&S version 1.7. Yep I am afraid I have been through the procedure but its just doesnt work, no errors or hang-time, just no response.
    Hi Ben,
    Can you open a support ticket and attach an .aep that is giving you this issue? It's all working fine on my end, so maybe there is something unusual in your project that could be throwing things off. I'd like to figure out what's going on. I'm not able to test on Windows 7, but I doubt that would be a factor.
  • Hi and thanks for this plugin! Love it!! I have the same problem has Ben. Impossible to unbind just one layer with Alt+click. Did you find the solution? Thanks!
  • Sorry: I'm on Mac os x 10.13.6, AE 16.1.1, J&S 1.7.1. Thanks!
  • Hi mike !
    Im  a beginner and I wanted to use your plugin but I have a problem
    I would like to use a joystick but as soon as I try to rig the face I have to create an error message appearsimage
  • Hi and thanks for this plugin! Love it!! I have the same problem has Ben. Impossible to unbind just one layer with Alt+click. Did you find the solution? Thanks!
    Please submit a support ticket so I can see an example of this problem. I don't have this issue on my end.
  • Hi mike !
    Im  a beginner and I wanted to use your plugin but I have a problem
    I would like to use a joystick but as soon as I try to rig the face I have to create an error message appearsimage
    Please update to the latest version of Joysticks 'n Sliders. Older versions porduce this error when used with the new expression engine in CC2019
  • Can use the same rig in multiple comps? Or is there an easy way to duplicate? Right now if I use a rig I've animated in another comp, it comes in with all of its previous animation.
  • Hi, i really want to try this, seems very cool plug in for after effects, but despite i have after effects last version in my ( macOs 10.14.4 Mojave) when i download form the try it's appears with an error dialog. I don't understand why, i was very excited, but now that I can not use it I feel frustrated. What if i buy it and then its appears with the same error? 
  • how can i download older versions?

• Clau Clau said:
    Hi, i really want to try this, seems very cool plug in for after effects, but despite i have after effects last version in my ( macOs 10.14.4 Mojave) when i download form the try it's appears with an error dialog. I don't understand why, i was very excited, but now that I can not use it I feel frustrated. What if i buy it and then its appears with the same error? 
    Can you please submit a support ticket with details about your error? There shouldn't be any issues using CC2018 and Mojave. Some users have file access restrictions that prevent JnS from installing poperty. Any issues you are having now are not likely solved with the registered version. 
  • Hi Mike, 

Alt --> Unbind. It seems to be not working. I have to unbind all layers each time.

Just a heads up.
  • Hi! i have the same error like Mélina BOTELLA. I made a controller for a head movement that contains the movement of the eyes, mouth, eyebrows, i want to make another 3 controllers for these last things but i get that error, and i have the last version of the joystick installed. When i did this in the old version of after it worked, i could have several controllers that control the same layers. What can i do?
  • Hi! i have the same error like Mélina BOTELLA. I made a controller for a head movement that contains the movement of the eyes, mouth, eyebrows, i want to make another 3 controllers for these last things but i get that error, and i have the last version of the joystick installed. When i did this in the old version of after it worked, i could have several controllers that control the same layers. What can i do?
    I am not sure i am understanding the problem. Can you open up a support ticket? I'll need to know what version of Joysticks 'n Sliders you are using and what version of After Effects you are running.
  • Hi Mike, 

Alt --> Unbind. It seems to be not working. I have to unbind all layers each time.

Just a heads up.
    This has been fixed in the latest release version 1.7.2
    I am not sure i am understanding the problem. Can you open up a support ticket? I'll need to know what version of Joysticks 'n Sliders you are using and what version of After Effects you are running.
    Im using the version 1.7.2 and After Effects CC 2019. This is the problem
    pepaa.JPG
    1586 x 925 - 106K
    Im using the version 1.7.2 and After Effects CC 2019. This is the problem
    Thank you for the screenshot. Please open a support ticket and send me an image of the error you were seeing.
    -Mike O
  • Hi, I've got the last trial version and playing around considering purchase, but I see it gets very, very slow when managing more than 5 layers. Almost frozen the controller, and the shapes. It's something n the AE Prefs I've got to change or any suggestion for he paths, sizes, anything to solve it? Love the script but..

AE2018 15.0
    MacOSX 10.11.6

Thanks!
  • Hi, I've got the last trial version and playing around considering purchase, but I see it gets very, very slow when managing more than 5 layers. Almost frozen the controller, and the shapes. It's something n the AE Prefs I've got to change or any suggestion for he paths, sizes, anything to solve it? Love the script but..

AE2018 15.0
    MacOSX 10.11.6

Thanks!
    Rigged path properties can slow down AE significantly based on the number of properties, number of points in them, and the speed of your CPU. Performance is much better using After Effects 22019 and the new Javascript expression engine. Additionally, you can use the Update Paths button to bake your path properties and regain performance. But this will require a re-baking any time you update your animation. Remove your baked keys to make your paths update live again.
  • Hi

I created a joystick for a character's face and one separately for its pupils. I moved the face's joystick to the parent composition but when I attempted to do the same with the pupils' (moving it to the same composition as the face's joystick) nothing happens.

Is it only currently possible to move one joystick to one parent composition or is there something I'm missing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
  • Hello, can I connect different types of joysticks and sliders to the mark path of one layer?

To turn left and right, to frown, etc..

Or, is there any way to modify the vertex of the mark path with the mark path connected to the joystick?
  • yh lee said:
    Hello, can I connect different types of joysticks and sliders to the mark path of one layer?

To turn left and right, to frown, etc..

Or, is there any way to modify the vertex of the mark path with the mark path connected to the joystick?
    One trick you can do is create your extreme poses as if your were rigging for a joystick. Then after that, create your extra variation poses. Rig your layer to a Slider. Then create your extreme joystick poses using the first four sliders of your slider null and rig those sliders to a joystick. Now you'll have a joystick that controls your directional poses, and extra sliders on your slider null to add variation like a smile or frown.