• I had the company I work for buy this with the express purpose of creating heightmaps layered with satellite imagery. I've got the satellite imagery...but the NASA heightmap isn't good enough. Mapzen API appears to have shutdown.

How do I connect to this OSMdata you mentioned to another customer? 

Thanks. 

[UPDATE] 

This is as close as I've come to solving my own problem. This elevation data is still obtainable through amazon AWS. Creating a new Universal API with the following URL works ok:
    • https://s3.amazonaws.com/elevation-tiles-prod/normal/{z}/{x}/{y}.png
    This is a vector map which sort of does what I need. I'd prefer a DEM that's just a grayscale heightmap but...I'll take what I can get. 
    • Hello,
      I'm considering purchasing this product because I have a lot of Longitude and Latitude data to map.
      What is the max number of excel/csv rows I can add? My excel doc has 17,000 rows of data. Can it handle it?
    • Can someone tell me how do I switch off the colored water territory?
      Take for example Greece or any other country bordering with the sea/ocean and color it. Once colored see how the bordering water is colored as well. I understand the solution is quite ridiculously strange (creating a new mask map, linking it to the current one and then setting the current map's layer to Luma Matte mode)
      But what happnes if I'd like to color more than one country? If I'd like to color Greece, Cyprus and Israel, will I have to do it the tedious way of creating 3 different mask maps to 3 different countries? Is that even possible? or IS there actually a lenient way how to make it done?
    • Seriously...how on earth do I get elevation tiles now that Mapzen is defunct. What should I do? 
    • Does anyone know if I can import ESRI Shapefiles from GIS into this program?
    • Hello,

Is there any site or archive that provides historical geojson files? Specifically I'm looking for a map of Europe in 1914.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!
    • Hi,
      Is there possible to change default resolution for heigt and texture maps in 3D mode? Sometimes 2Kx2K is not enough for us.

Thank you in advance
    • Hi,
      Is there possible to change default resolution for heigt and texture maps in 3D mode? Sometimes 2Kx2K is not enough for us.

Thank you in advance
      Yes, this is possible. You have to change the resolution of the map comps and some layers inside the comps. GEOlayers will automatically recognize the new size and will download more tiles.

If you have further questions or need assistance, please open a support ticket.
      Cheers,
      Nico

• HI, im interested in creating a map as part of a sequence and not have to add  attributions, does your maps require attribution in order to be used in film/television or can I legally omit them?
    • "Create 3d landscapes with one click" this is what you guys advertised. I can no longer do that. You guys haven't answered what I thought was a pretty simple question for two months. I'll try again. How do I obtain elevation tiles now that Mapzen is defunct. What should I do?

Thanks. 

• "Create 3d landscapes with one click" this is what you guys advertised. I can no longer do that. You guys haven't answered what I thought was a pretty simple question for two months. I'll try again. 

How do I obtain elevation tiles now that Mapzen is defunct. What should I do?

Thanks. 
      Hello,

the elevation tile moved to amazon server. So if you download and install our latest version (1.2.6) it should work. 
      A better way to start a 3D landscape project is by the way to use our Elevation Sample Project which you can load via our projects-panel.

Hope that helps. If you have further questions or need assistance,  please open a support ticket.
      Cheers,
      Nico

• Seriously...how on earth do I get elevation tiles now that Mapzen is defunct. What should I do? 
      Hello,
      Cheers,
      Nico

• Hi, I'm demoing the trial version and I keep getting an error. I'm using AE CC2018 on a macbook pro 15" OSX 10.12.6: 

A rendering plugin was not found. The default rendering plugin will be substituted. 
      "Ray-traced 3D"

After that I just get two layers generated, A text layer "Provider Attribution for 'Mapcomp 1'" and a comp with 8 missing tile' image layers.
      Hello,
      Thanks
      Nico

• Adam S. said:
      HI, im interested in creating a map as part of a sequence and not have to add  attributions, does your maps require attribution in order to be used in film/television or can I legally omit them?
      Hello,
      yes you need to attribute all of the maps. You can contact the provider by your own and discuss if it is possible to remove the attribution.
      Cheers,
      Nico
    • Does anyone know if I can import ESRI Shapefiles from GIS into this program?
      Hello,
      yes this is possible.
      Cheers,
      Nico
    • Hello,

When we can have an update with Mir 3?

Thanks,
      Camil
    • I have created a Map and now I would like to create similar maps focusing on particular areas. Should I duplicate the AE project or shall I duplicate the Mapcomp from Geo Layers! I am afraid to messing with the first map while creating the other maps.

Also is there a way how to save a style as a template for future maps in the same project.

Thanks

Dery
    • I have created a Map and now I would like to create similar maps focusing on particular areas. Should I duplicate the AE project or shall I duplicate the Mapcomp from Geo Layers! I am afraid to messing with the first map while creating the other maps.

Also is there a way how to save a style as a template for future maps in the same project.

Thanks

Dery

• Hi,
      perhaps I can t find it ..but...we created our own map style and saved it as server profile which we can select in any further mapcomp.. Perfect. Now we created our own labels...but with any new mapcomp we have to "import" the label style again. Is there any way to have our own labels in a e.g.library that is avaiable from the start? Hope my explanation makes sense ;)
    • Hi, are there any instructional videos of how to use Geolayers to animate a custom path or route on a map? I managed to create a very basic route between two points, but it took the route from Google and that isn’t the route I’d like to use. Many thanks
    • Hey aescripts,

Quick question. I had to reformat my mac loosing all of the map data files that are created when making a new map. When I open an old project all the map files are missing. Is there a way to relink a map without having to start over? 
    • Hi, am I right? Currently "create 3D landscape" only works with Mir2, NOT Mir3?
      Thanks, Andreas

• Does GeoLayers work with historical maps? For example, WWII era Europe?
    • Does GeoLayers work with historical maps? For example, WWII era Europe?
      GEOlayers works with several via WMTS and WMS provided imagery. If you have the URL to a server, you could create your own server-profile and GEOlayers will load the imagery. It is also possible to pin imagery to a map. (If you know the coordinates for the imagers upper left / lower right. If you have further questions, or need assistance,  please open a support ticket instead.

• Hi, am I right? Currently "create 3D landscape" only works with Mir2, NOT Mir3?
      Thanks, Andreas

No, our latest version works also with MIR 3.

• Hey aescripts,

Quick question. I had to reformat my mac loosing all of the map data files that are created when making a new map. When I open an old project all the map files are missing. Is there a way to relink a map without having to start over? 
      Yes, just finalize the map comps and your done. GEOlayers will load all tiles again.
      If you have further questions or need assistance, please open a support ticket instead.

• Hi,
      perhaps I can t find it ..but...we created our own map style and saved it as server profile which we can select in any further mapcomp.. Perfect. Now we created our own labels...but with any new mapcomp we have to "import" the label style again. Is there any way to have our own labels in a e.g.library that is avaiable from the start? Hope my explanation makes sense ;)
      Yes, if you go to GEOlayers preferences -> Labels Tab.
      You could activate the option "custom labels template" and then set the path to your own labels library. 
      From then on, GEOlayers will always load your custom library during start up.

If you have further questions or need assistance, please open a support ticket instead.
      Thanks, Andreas

No, our latest version works also with MIR 3.

But the "create 3D landscape" option on right click "add Mapcomp" doesn't appear with Mir3 installed. Any idea? (geolayers2 and Mir3 running in trial) 

• Is it possible for the plug-in to fill the Ocean with a color, but only the area you can see in the comp? I'm zoomed into Europe ans North Africa, but the Ocean layer is the entire map and it bogs down the system.
    • In mapbox Studio I have created a custom style and linked it via mapboxApi as described in the "GEOlayers 2 Tutorial - Mapbox" into After Effects. Everything works fine. BUT: When changing the style within mapbox and update this via finalize within geolayers that doesn't work. Still the old style is displayed. 

The workaround for me is to duplicate this style to create a new MAP ID every time I make some changes , which is pretty annoying ... Is there a way to update mapbox styles in an easy way?
    • I also do NOT see the option to "create 3D landscape" with Mir3. Only says Mir2.

Using Geolayers2 and Mir3 both trial versions.

• Hi there, Can you help.. I've laid a solid over the top of my map.. added the grid effect to give it a more map feel.

Is there any way to constrain the anchor point of the effect to GeoLayers ??

When I travel from one country to another, I want the grid to move and scale with it? When I copy an expression from another layer.. it goes very strange

Cheers

Alex
    • Is it possible for the plug-in to fill the Ocean with a color, but only the area you can see in the comp? I'm zoomed into Europe ans North Africa, but the Ocean layer is the entire map and it bogs down the system.
      You can right click the plus top left in the main panel and hit "Create Land Mask".

I also do NOT see the option to "create 3D landscape" with Mir3. Only says Mir2.

Using Geolayers2 and Mir3 both trial versions.

Hi Philip, please use the Elevation HD Mir 3 Sample project instead. FInd the projects panel in the context menue or by right clicking somewhere in the panel.

Hi there, Can you help.. I've laid a solid over the top of my map.. added the grid effect to give it a more map feel.

Is there any way to constrain the anchor point of the effect to GeoLayers ??

When I travel from one country to another, I want the grid to move and scale with it? When I copy an expression from another layer.. it goes very strange

Cheers

Alex
      Hey Alex. you can snap two 2D nulls to your mapcomp clicking "snap Marker to Mapcomp" and expression-pickwhip their positions to the Anchor and the Corner property of the Grid Effect.
    • Is there a way to draw connecting lines between imported geo data points without using Plexus?
    • Hey Guys,  

Do you have any tips on reducing render times? I'm using the 3d maps with mir etc, I have a small east/west animation move across the map, 25 second clip at 60fps and the render time is over 10 hours! I'm running a 2018 2.9ghz MacBook pro.

Thanks very much
      Jim
    • jim Cox said:
      Hey Guys,  

Do you have any tips on reducing render times? I'm using the 3d maps with mir etc, I have a small east/west animation move across the map, 25 second clip at 60fps and the render time is over 10 hours! I'm running a 2018 2.9ghz MacBook pro.

Thanks very much
      Jim
      If you have a supported GPU, Mir is GPU-accelerated, but not sure if AMD GPUs are supported. If that doesn't work, try reducing the Verticies X and Verticies Y in Mir, especially when you're looking at a wide view. Experiment with animating those verticies as well as the height of your bump map during transitions so that it's high numbers when closer and lower numbers when wider.
    • When I import a complex gpx file to GEOlayers 2, it is much more simplified (less points) than original. Is there explanation for this?
    •  I have only mir3  & geolayers 2 installed
      The create 3d landscape feature does not appear for me.
      if i try to lunch any of the 3d landscapes projects after effects crashes.
    • Is there a way to highlight certain continents? Thanks! 
    • How can I reduce the  time to render ?
    • Mir 3 support
      is mir 3 supported i have only mir2 options?
      mike d.
    • Two questions: 1.) are there other tutorials on creating 3D maps? I've gone through Mount Everest Tour but I'd like one that starts from scratch. 2.) are there any user groups in NYC or online? I need to bump up my knowledge base. Thanks.
    • Hello,

Is there any site or archive that provides historical geojson files? Specifically I'm looking for a map of Europe in 1914.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!
      Try the National Library of Scotland: https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=5&lat=45.8506&lon=1.8581&layers=100611144&b=1
    • *update changed vertices in mir2 solves dark line drawings

Hello Dark lines in 3d map?
      is there a common fix or setting?
      Mike D.
    • Hi, is it possible to automatically create multiple lines connecting together based on location info with this plugin? and can those lines be animated and styled?

thanks
    • Hi Marcus,
      I have an issue with geolayers 2 recently:
      If I try to create a route, I always get the error message: Error calculating route
      I tried different server profiles, different locations.
      Was working fine at the last project I did.

Do not know, what is the problem and how to fix it.

After Effects CC2018, Windows7, Dell precision Workstation M6500
    • I'm having the same issue. Worked fine yesterday and today I get the same error. Tried rebooting. Tried changing map providers. I can add labels but can't do routes.
      CC2019
      I love GeoLayers, btw. Brilliant work! Probably one of the most powerful plugins on this site.

Hi Marcus,
      I have an issue with geolayers 2 recently:
      If I try to create a route, I always get the error message: Error calculating route
      I tried different server profiles, different locations.
      Was working fine at the last project I did.

Do not know, what is the problem and how to fix it.

After Effects CC2018, Windows7, Dell precision Workstation M6500

• Hi - does geolayers offer any functionality that would be useful for someone creating their own fantasy maps -or is this just for people looking to capture real world data and turn them into maps? Many 3d programs allow you to export terrain maps. Was wondering what geolayers could do with such data.Thanks.
    • Hi

First can I say this is an exceptional plugin. I'll be creating route maps for a project over the next few months and it's going to save me days of work.

The issue I'm having is bringing the comps into Premiere via dynamic link. I get just the map with none of the graphic elements. I realise this is probably more to do with a dynamic link than the plug in, but I wonder if there's some underlying code that's causing the problem. I'm on the latest versions of AE and Premiere on mac.

Thanks in advance.

Will
    • Hi

First can I say this is an exceptional plugin. I'll be creating route maps for a project over the next few months and it's going to save me days of work.

The issue I'm having is bringing the comps into Premiere via dynamic link. I get just the map with none of the graphic elements. I realise this is probably more to do with a dynamic link than the plug in, but I wonder if there's some underlying code that's causing the problem. I'm on the latest versions of AE and Premiere on mac.

Thanks in advance.

Will

Hello Will, could you please open a support ticket for GEOlayers 2 and attach your After Effects Project and I‘ll check this asap. Cheers Nico