Digit Fiddler
  • Hi,

i get an Expression Error!?
    Maybe because i use a German AE Version?

regards,
    Frank
  • Are you shure this is working? Dragging the v CS6 preset into the composition – nothing happens. unfortunately no further documentation besides: "Install both the plugin and preset, then drag the preset into a composition to use it." Is this serious?

Me: CC2019, Mac OS 10.13.5

A hint @ developers: Test your piece of software, before you sell it - maybe?
  • I'm having the same problem, dragging to composition is not working. I can add the effect to solid or text layer but the effect is not active. (CC16 on a Mac)
  • This is not working for me either. Same issues as stated below. 
  • Is the trial version restricted on the max number or is the max number the plugin can can go to is 100,000 ?
  • Hi,

i get an Expression Error!?
    Maybe because i use a German AE Version?

regards,
    Frank
    Hi Frank

We've released update v1.0.1 to address this issue. 
  • I'm having the same problem, dragging to composition is not working. I can add the effect to solid or text layer but the effect is not active. (CC16 on a Mac)
    Hi Carlos

When you applied the effect, did you press "apply expressions" and it's still not working?
  • Is the trial version restricted on the max number or is the max number the plugin can can go to is 100,000 ?
    Hi Matthew

Currently the full version max number is 100,000 but you bring up a good point. We will change the max to the AE limit which is 1 million. 
  • This is not working for me either. Same issues as stated below. 
    Hi Dale

If you apply the effect manually, you'll need to press apply expression for it to work. 
  • If you need to create numbers outside the max 1 million slider range, you can also use the iExpressions Counter Numbers:

It offers a multiplier parameter to create higher values. Also has some other advanced features like adding custom text both before and after the number at the same time. The biggest advantage of Digit Fiddler is probably that it has all parameters in a convenient effect UI whereas for iExpressions you have to launch iExpressions UI to tweak the parameters. On the other hand, with iExpressions you have no problems if you want to render the project on machines where it is not installed.

The different counter iExpressions are part of the Source Text Bundle - which contains much more than just the counters but also costs a bit more than Digit Fiddler:https://aescripts.com/iexpressions/

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Just tried the Demo. Pretty much everything is greyed out? I've used the numbers part on a quick test though.

Screen shot of this (CS6) - http://www.screencast.com/t/pzO4Zcam

• Working fine here with CS6.  Registering enables the rest o fthe panel as you might expect.
  • This has recently been fixed. Download the newest update to fix issues with the latest AE version. 
    And don't forget to register your product too.  :)
  • Just tried the Demo. Pretty much everything is greyed out? I've used the numbers part on a quick test though.

Screen shot of this (CS6) - http://www.screencast.com/t/pzO4Zcam

Hi Chris, Thanks for your interest, everything except the number section is greyed out on the demo, if you wish to use all features please purchase. (The demo has no time limit so feel free to use as much as you like.)
  • Good day,

Bought the script. Can i change the size of the custom text like % or $ that i typed? I dont want it to be of the same size as my counting number so when i tried to highlight it and change the whole text will change in size rather than just the $ sign.

B.
  • Good day,

What is the max number that it can count up to? I am trying to go beyond 100,000 and cant go past beyond it.

B
  • ben toh said:
    Good day,

Bought the script. Can i change the size of the custom text like % or $ that i typed? I dont want it to be of the same size as my counting number so when i tried to highlight it and change the whole text will change in size rather than just the $ sign.

B.
    Hi Ben

A way to change the size of the custom symbol is to apply a scale transform then do a range selector to select just the start or end character. 

Currently 100,000 is the max but we will release an update tomorrow to increase that. Thanks for your patronage.
    Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 10.34.22 pm.png
    646 x 244 - 56K
  • After playing around with the full version I noticed that its hard to put in a specific time. The easiest way I found to navigate the time panel is to just scrub to the number you want (or if you're really keen figure out the maths - 1=1sec, 60=1min, 3600=1hour). But as you can see this would become quite tedious if working with this plugin lots. I was wondering if possible in an update to have an easier UI for inputting time?
  • After playing around with the full version I noticed that its hard to put in a specific time. The easiest way I found to navigate the time panel is to just scrub to the number you want (or if you're really keen figure out the maths - 1=1sec, 60=1min, 3600=1hour). But as you can see this would become quite tedious if working with this plugin lots. I was wondering if possible in an update to have an easier UI for inputting time?
    Hi Deanna

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm pleased to say we've just implemented this feature in the v1.1 update!
  • ben toh said:
    Good day,

What is the max number that it can count up to? I am trying to go beyond 100,000 and cant go past beyond it.

B
    Hi Ben

I'm happy to say we've just updated the max number to 1 million and you can go even higher than that using the new multiplier option. 
  • Can this be used with other monospaced fonts?
  • Can this be used with other monospaced fonts?
    Hi Nick, yes it works in any font as it uses the standard text system.
  • Hello!

If I'm working on a project and use this plugin; can another person who doesn't have the plugin open the file and tweak the settings? Or do they have to install the plugin as well?

Many thanks!

• I'm a user of this tool - 

I would expect that they would need it, it's usually only single run scripts that generate all the expression code (and possibly if you bake it) that could be likely shared between users. You could just move the Plugin out of your plugin folder and re-open the project to check yourself :) 

Personally I would tell the other person to buy it for $10 as its a bargain :) and they will likely use it in the future also.
  • I'm a user of this tool - 

I would expect that they would need it, it's usually only single run scripts that generate all the expression code (and possibly if you bake it) that could be likely shared between users. You could just move the Plugin out of your plugin folder and re-open the project to check yourself :) 

Personally I would tell the other person to buy it for $10 as its a bargain :) and they will likely use it in the future also.
    I will buy the plugin and try to see if it's possible. Ideally you would want them to purchase it but when you have to package massive projects and send them over to production houses it doesn't work. I would need to ask them to purchase every plugin that's out there. It simply doesn't work in real life situations unless you are sharing projects between computers the same company.
  • I followed the instruction to instal it, but i get this error when launching AE:
    After Effects error: opening resource file "Digit_Fiddler_v1.1.aex". (3::53)

Using iMac Pro, High Sierra, AE 2019
  • Hey!

I recently purchases this plugin. Is there a way to remove leading zeros when working with time? This is very helpful when working with countdowns. Honestly without this functionality it is easier for me to just use expressions than the plugin.

Another very useful thing would be to change the time slider to reflect time rather than seconds. An example would be 5.30= 5 minutes 30 seconds. Just a usability suggestion. Other than that this is great!
  • Hey fine folks of Plugin Everything,

ove the Fiddler! Anyway I can 'bake' the expression to keyframes? 
    Trying to render it out as a JSON file via Bodymovin but the plugin isn't compatible.

Any workaround ideas?

Cheers!
  • Paul Lalo said:
    Hey fine folks of Plugin Everything,

ove the Fiddler! Anyway I can 'bake' the expression to keyframes? 
    Trying to render it out as a JSON file via Bodymovin but the plugin isn't compatible.

Any workaround ideas?

Cheers!
    I don't think Plugin have a Bake script however you could use one called Easy Bake - https://aescripts.com/easy-bake/ Hope this helps. Just tested it and it works fine.
  • I followed the instruction to instal it, but i get this error when launching AE:
    After Effects error: opening resource file "Digit_Fiddler_v1.1.aex". (3::53)

Using iMac Pro, High Sierra, AE 2019
    Hi Aleksandar

It appears you're trying to use the Windows version on Mac. Did you install the Digit_Fiddler.plugin?
  • Hey!

I recently purchases this plugin. Is there a way to remove leading zeros when working with time? This is very helpful when working with countdowns. Honestly without this functionality it is easier for me to just use expressions than the plugin.

Another very useful thing would be to change the time slider to reflect time rather than seconds. An example would be 5.30= 5 minutes 30 seconds. Just a usability suggestion. Other than that this is great!
    Hi Jeffrey

Thanks for your feedback. Could you please give an example removing leading zeroes? There is an option to remove padding. And also if you don't want hours / minutes to be shown, they can be unticked. 

Regarding changing the slider to reflect minutes, you can change the multiplier to x60 and then 1 will equal 1 minute. 
  • Hi,

First, thank you for the plugin it has been extremely useful. However, I noticed something in the most recent update 1.3. When applying monospacing it appears that the paragraph alignment (left, center, or  right justification) are ignored. For example, lets  say I have $0.00, and want it to increase to $100.00 adding new integers from right to left. When I apply monospacing it will add integers from left to right only. 

It would be nice in your next update to address this issue so paragraph alignment can be applied. :) 

One other issue I've seen is when applying monospacing that the layer controls around the text are thrown all over the place. They are almost arbitrary. It would be  ideal that when you apply the effect the layer controls and text are maintained for easy positioning. 

Thanks again! 
  • Hi,

First, thank you for the plugin it has been extremely useful. However, I noticed something in the most recent update 1.3. When applying monospacing it appears that the paragraph alignment (left, center, or  right justification) are ignored. For example, lets  say I have $0.00, and want it to increase to $100.00 adding new integers from right to left. When I apply monospacing it will add integers from left to right only. 

It would be nice in your next update to address this issue so paragraph alignment can be applied. :) 

One other issue I've seen is when applying monospacing that the layer controls around the text are thrown all over the place. They are almost arbitrary. It would be  ideal that when you apply the effect the layer controls and text are maintained for easy positioning. 

Thanks again! 
    Hi Dwight

Thanks for your feedback. We're currently working on adding options for paragraph alignment. 

Could you please expand more on what you mean in regards to the layer controls? 

Thanks.
  • What is the max it can count to? Ideally into the billions. Thanks.
  • What is the max it can count to? Ideally into the billions. Thanks.
    Hi Alex

After Effect's max slider amount is 1 million but we have a number multiplier as well so the max number is theoretically 1 trillion. 
  • Hi,

Thanks again! 
    Hi Dwight

Thanks for your feedback. We're currently working on adding options for paragraph alignment. 

Thanks.

Hi James, 

Thanks for the reply. When I say layer controls, I mean the bounding box that appears when you select an item inside the composition. If you go to View in the menu and select "hide layer controls" or Shift+Command+H you can see what I am talking about. 

When I apply the monospacing to the text layer the layer controls are no longer on top of the text itself, instead the text is moved away from / outside of the layer control box. In your demo video, this isn't a problem but for some reason it is happening in my file. 
  • Hi,

Thanks again! 
    Hi Dwight

Thanks.

Hi James, 

Thanks for the reply. When I say layer controls, I mean the bounding box that appears when you select an item inside the composition. If you go to View in the menu and select "hide layer controls" or Shift+Command+H you can see what I am talking about. 

When I apply the monospacing to the text layer the layer controls are no longer on top of the text itself, instead the text is moved away from / outside of the layer control box. In your demo video, this isn't a problem but for some reason it is happening in my file. 
    Hi Dwight

We've just released the v1.3.1 tutorial video which covers this issue. Feel free to message back if you have any further issues. 

• I had used Digit Fiddler in a project - worked great. Then updated the plugin, and when I opened the project again, it no longer had numbers, it had "mate..." where ever I used the plugin. So I switch it back to the original version and it's working again. Just thought I would pass that along.

• I had used Digit Fiddler in a project - worked great. Then updated the plugin, and when I opened the project again, it no longer had numbers, it had "mate..." where ever I used the plugin. So I switch it back to the original version and it's working again. Just thought I would pass that along.

Hey Frank, sorry for the confusion, because of the way that Digit Fiddler works when you update to a new version you'll just need to hit the "apply" button again, each update may alter things a little bit which can cause the expression to believe that the licensing is off. The expression linking the effect just needs to be updated, the "apply" button will do that. 
  • Hey James just wanted to say I saw the new update with 1.3.1 and that is awesome. Thanks for this, and keep kicking butt!!! :) 
  • Trial version doesn't do anything except for show the Time slider.  Everything else is grayed out.  Is that a limitation of the Trial version?  If so, why even offer a trial version?  There's no X over the image as there is in the Monospacer trial version, which seems to be working OK.  Animating the Time slider also does nothing.

Ae CC 2018 OSX
  • Previous reply if you look back at a few comments 

*****Hi Chris, Thanks for your interest, everything except the number section is greyed out on the demo, if you wish to use all features please purchase. (The demo has no time limit so feel free to use as much as you like.) *******

• Hi Chris.  I took a gamble, and licensed the plug-in.  As I suspected, that gave me all the controls.  So, again, I suggest you get rid of a Trial version that doesn't do anything.

But, it gets worse.  The plug-in isn't working at all, even when licensed and Activated with all the controls showing.  I followed your method in the Tutorial, and applied Fiddler to an empty Text layer, and I don't see any text appearing.  I animated the Time slider, and still nothing.

What do you think is causing this? 

Jim
  • Update:  Text showed up after I hit the apply button.

So, the correct procedure seems to be:
    1.  Drop plug on empty text layer
    2.  Click Apply button to get text to appear
    3.  Proceed.

Monospacing isn't working as expected using the Time function.  Text and the colon jitter left and right as the numbers change.  I expect in monospacing the positions will stay fixed.

Scaling the Text layer results in some weird cropping of the text.  I have to fiddle with the scaling on the layer to get all my numbers to show. 

The Character Size control in the plug-in controls the Tracking between the colon and the next character to the right.  Has no effect on Text size.
  • Update:  Text showed up after I hit the apply button.

So, the correct procedure seems to be:
    1.  Drop plug on empty text layer
    2.  Click Apply button to get text to appear
    3.  Proceed.

Monospacing isn't working as expected using the Time function.  Text and the colon jitter left and right as the numbers change.  I expect in monospacing the positions will stay fixed.

Scaling the Text layer results in some weird cropping of the text.  I have to fiddle with the scaling on the layer to get all my numbers to show. 

The Character Size control in the plug-in controls the Tracking between the colon and the next character to the right.  Has no effect on Text size.
    Hi James

Sorry for the confusion, we'll try to make the procedure more straight forward in the next update. The way we intended it to be used is to drag the preset from the effects and presets menu into your composition. This will create a text layer, apply the effect and tie the expressions.

As you already discovered, you can alternatively apply it to a text layer and tie the expressions with the "tie expressions" button. 

In regards to the monospacing, we're also going to make adjustments so less tweaking is needed on the users end to get a perfect result. If you haven't done so I'd recommend checking out the tutorial video to see how to tweak the thresholds. 

Please let me know if you have any further issues as I want to make sure you are getting good results with the product.
  • Trial version doesn't do anything except for show the Time slider.  Everything else is grayed out.  Is that a limitation of the Trial version?  If so, why even offer a trial version?  There's no X over the image as there is in the Monospacer trial version, which seems to be working OK.  Animating the Time slider also does nothing.

Ae CC 2018 OSX
    Yes this is a limitation of the trial version. I suppose enabling all features and adding a watermark would have been an alternative method.
  • I think I've solved my issue.  Sort of.  After fiddling with the controls for about an hour, I was able to get the monospacing to work, but only at smaller font sizes.  I'm making a minute and second countdown clock in which I want the numbers to fill action safe.  I haven't figured out a way to do that without making the character size small and scaling it up in a Precomp.  Turning on Continuous Rasterization obliterates the effect, because you have some weird internal masking going on that's affected by the position of the text layer.  I tried different comp sizes.  Larger ones slow the plug-in.  I wasn't able to get it the size I wanted, after a vast amount of experimentation with the settings, so I guess I'll have to live with some softening in my master Comp.

My initial failure was likely due to the fact my Comp was set at 1 FPS, which is all you need for a clock counting by seconds.  Once I switched it to 30, my results improved a little, especially as far as getting monospacing to work correctly.  I was still getting some jittering in the 30 FPS Comp, but managed to stop it after changing some parameters around.
  • How do you install this preset? I purchased it an hour ago, and am finally ready to give it a try.
  • I just saw a tutorial on this plugin, looks pretty cool. I noticed one thing though, for the time format, it looks like you must use a colon as the separator for all segments of the time, but I'm pretty sure that for milliseconds, the separator should be a dot or comma (US/Europe). So rather than hh:mm:ss:sss it should be hh:mm:ss.sss
  • I just saw a tutorial on this plugin, looks pretty cool. I noticed one thing though, for the time format, it looks like you must use a colon as the separator for all segments of the time, but I'm pretty sure that for milliseconds, the separator should be a dot or comma (US/Europe). So rather than hh:mm:ss:sss it should be hh:mm:ss.sss
    Hi Blair

Thanks for your comment. Interesting, did not know that! We'll consider this in our next update.