Connect Layers PRO
  • imageConnect Layers PRO

Connect your After Effects layers with dynamic lines ! Create rope, spanning tree, triangulation with a single click. Customize the look of your lines on the fly using the powerful features of our plug-in interface.

https://aescripts.com/connect-layers/

• I have Connect layers installed already. How do you upload to pro? Or is this something new and I need to purchase again?
  • If we create it in a system, then the second system is visible without the need for a plugin ?!
    For example, for my commercial projects, my client also needs to install the plugin ?

• I have Connect layers installed already. How do you upload to pro? Or is this something new and I need to purchase again?
    It's a different product, so yes you need to purchase it. If you previously purchased the old "Name Your Own Price" version of Connect Layers you can apply 20% of what you paid as a discount towards this version. For example, if you paid $20 then you will get a $4 discount. Simply login to the same account and the discount will be automatically applied. If you have questions or need assistance please open a support ticket
  • If we create it in a system, then the second system is visible without the need for a plugin ?!
    For example, for my commercial projects, my client also needs to install the plugin ?

You can use the assistant to bake the keyframes then you can remove the plugin.
    It's also really usefull when you have complex system that requires heavy computing such as dynamic Verlet, you can bake "Path Expressions" before running the preview, it will be muuuuch faster. And if you need to change things, just click on "Relink expressions".
    Also useful to use Connect Layers PRO with "Bodymovin" !

bake.jpg
    371 x 229 - 19K
  • Hi,

Is it possible to stop a dashed line animating the offset?

For example I am animating a camera around 3 nulls in 3D space with a chain (curve) connecting them.  As the camera moves the dashed line offsets which gives a distracting effect.

It is a route line in 3D space and I'd like to keep it locked to the movement of the scene.  I hope that makes sense!
  • Hi,

Is it possible to stop a dashed line animating the offset?

For example I am animating a camera around 3 nulls in 3D space with a chain (curve) connecting them.  As the camera moves the dashed line offsets which gives a distracting effect.

It is a route line in 3D space and I'd like to keep it locked to the movement of the scene.  I hope that makes sense!
    Hi Alex!
    By default, your lines are in 2D (I explain that in the quick start guide here). So when you change the size of a 2D line, you also change the numbers of dashes.
    When using 3D + dash, switch CLP to "Real 3D" by clicking the 3D button. Note that some option will not work in 3D (like Bezier curviness...)

Hope this helps.
    Val.
    Capture d’écran 2019-06-20 à 14.00.46.png
    688 x 142 - 23K
  • It does! Thank you Val!

EDIT***

Just trying to Trim Paths in 3D and the individual/simultaneous option doesn't appear to work.  I'd like to trim the paths sequentially for a route line.
    Is that possible?  

Thanks!
  • Unfortunately not in 3D :(
    3D chains are a series of segments and not a continuous line.
    Will try to fix that in a future release.

EDIT
    ...you can still animate the trim of each segment to make it manually.
    It does! Thank you Val!

EDIT***

Just trying to Trim Paths in 3D and the individual/simultaneous option doesn't appear to work.  I'd like to trim the paths sequentially for a route line.
    Is that possible?  

Thanks!

• Thanks for the work around!

ANOTHER Great product!
  • Hello, I followed the installation instructions but it doesn't show up in AE. Can you help me please?
  • Hi Amber,
    Did you check the right place to find the tool?
    You should find it in the "Windows" menu, at the bottom of the list.
    Hello, I followed the installation instructions but it doesn't show up in AE. Can you help me please?

Screenshot_1.jpg
    480 x 1138 - 73K
  • Thanks for the work around!

ANOTHER Great product!
    THANK YOU
  • Hi Amber,
    Did you check the right place to find the tool?
    You should find it in the "Windows" menu, at the bottom of the list.
    Hello, I followed the installation instructions but it doesn't show up in AE. Can you help me please?

Yeah I looked there thanks. I've opened a ticket.
    Thanks
  • Hi! I love this tool. It's really powerful and amazing (and fun to play around with)! I have a suggestion for future updates - would it be possible to be able to rotate the arrowheads manually in the future? I don't see a way to do that here, but I could see some instances where it would be appropriate for the arrowhead to not constantly be tangential to the line.

Thanks!
  • Hi Glenn,

If you are using the built in arrowhead, you can't. But if use the custom arrowhead, you can deactivate the expression of the rotation on the arrowhead layer!

Hi! I love this tool. It's really powerful and amazing (and fun to play around with)! I have a suggestion for future updates - would it be possible to be able to rotate the arrowheads manually in the future? I don't see a way to do that here, but I could see some instances where it would be appropriate for the arrowhead to not constantly be tangential to the line.

Thanks!

• Hi, love the script.
    tell me please, how do I duplicate a chain with its controllers and layers without messing up the connections?

right now it seems to be connected according to layer name so I can't make a new connection. hope I explained myself correctly
  • Unfortunately, you can't, you need to recreate everything.
    Will try to add this feature in a future release!
    Cheers.
    Val.

Hi, love the script.
    tell me please, how do I duplicate a chain with its controllers and layers without messing up the connections?

right now it seems to be connected according to layer name so I can't make a new connection. hope I explained myself correctly

• Hey there,
    Thanks for creating this. Really nicely done. One problem I'm having is with 3D lines "popping" their orientation, flipping from one side to the other mid way through an animation. Is there a way to pin its orientation during complex camera moves? I've attached an example screengrab, Fig.1 shows one orientation, and then it flips to the other side.

I should say, that this is a many-to-one, so the flipping option would flip all the lines correct?

Best,
    Jacques

• Hi Jacques,
    Please open a support ticket here

Hey there,
    Thanks for creating this. Really nicely done. One problem I'm having is with 3D lines "popping" their orientation, flipping from one side to the other mid way through an animation. Is there a way to pin its orientation during complex camera moves? I've attached an example screengrab, Fig.1 shows one orientation, and then it flips to the other side.

I should say, that this is a many-to-one, so the flipping option would flip all the lines correct?

Best,
    Jacques

• Hi..

Is there a way to prevent a curved line flipping as you pan up through a 3D scene. i.e. I have powerlines between 2 pilons spread apart in 3D space, that curve down as needed and look great. As the camera pans up (to the sky) the lines flip the curve the reverse angle.. so they curve up to the sky. Is there a way to prevent this?

I'm curently using the demo.. and will need the paid version assuming this is achievable.

I've currently got the lines set with function 'Curve - Out' which seems to be the best bet but as the cameras moves past a certain point 'Curve - In' would seem the best fit to get the line to maintain the way it curved down in the scene.
  • Hi..

Is there a way to prevent a curved line flipping as you pan up through a 3D scene. i.e. I have powerlines between 2 pilons spread apart in 3D space, that curve down as needed and look great. As the camera pans up (to the sky) the lines flip the curve the reverse angle.. so they curve up to the sky. Is there a way to prevent this?

I'm curently using the demo.. and will need the paid version assuming this is achievable.

I've currently got the lines set with function 'Curve - Out' which seems to be the best bet but as the cameras moves past a certain point 'Curve - In' would seem the best fit to get the line to maintain the way it curved down in the scene.
    Hi Jon,
    Please open a support ticket and add a minimal version of your aep so we can take a look!
    Cheers.
    Val.
  • Hey guys,

Just a thought, not sure if a progress bar is possible in future versions?
    When I'm triangulating a lot of layers and not sure when it will finish working, i have to take an early lunch :)
  • Ok we added it to our wish list ;)
    Hey guys,

Just a thought, not sure if a progress bar is possible in future versions?
    When I'm triangulating a lot of layers and not sure when it will finish working, i have to take an early lunch :)

• I just bought the plugin, but it seems to slow AE down considerably...I'm on a brand new computer, everything else is running quite well, but as soon as I have a few connections going with Connect Layers I'm grinding to a halt...
    Is there anything I can do to optimize/reduce the lag?

UPDATE : I just realized that the culprit is the Dynamic Bezier curviness...others seem to be fine...
  • Hi Alex

Of course, using Dynamic stuff can slow down AE! ;)
    Check:
    • that you are running the Javascript expressions engine.
    • using arrowheads needs also a lot of resources (using the custom one can reduce that)
    • dynamic of course need a lot of resources
    Baking the "Path Expressions" (in the "assistant" section) can save plenty of time in those cases. And of course you can Relink if needed!

Hope this helps.
    Val.

I just bought the plugin, but it seems to slow AE down considerably...I'm on a brand new computer, everything else is running quite well, but as soon as I have a few connections going with Connect Layers I'm grinding to a halt...
    Is there anything I can do to optimize/reduce the lag?

UPDATE : I just realized that the culprit is the Dynamic Bezier curviness...others seem to be fine...

• Hi Nicol,

Please open a support ticket and join a simple version of your aep.
    Cheers.
    Val.
    Hi,

I just bought the script/plugin and it's working great except for one aspect. I've got some shapes connected by lines in 3D and a camera with a set focal length so it goes blurry when the shapes move back and forth in z space. But the lines don't seem to be taking on the camera blur even though they are 3D and moving with the shapes they are attached to. Can you please let me know if the lines/chains created should take on camera blur (I primarily bought this product as it says it works in 3D and on the example - map animation - on the product page the lines seem to be taking on a camera blur).

Thanks,
    Nicol

• Just installed the script and the Styles plugin, input my license, and opened the panel - but when I choose a connection option, I get the message: "Effect 'MB ConnectLayersProStyles' is missing. Please verify your installation", even though the plugin is clearly in the Plugins folder - any ideas what's up?
  • Hi Jay,

Looks like CLP is not correctly installed. Please follow the instruction in the ConnectLayersPRO_Installation.pdf. If it's still not working please open a support ticket.

Cheers
    Val.

Jay Inman said:
    Just installed the script and the Styles plugin, input my license, and opened the panel - but when I choose a connection option, I get the message: "Effect 'MB ConnectLayersProStyles' is missing. Please verify your installation", even though the plugin is clearly in the Plugins folder - any ideas what's up?

• I puchased and installed connect layers
    but when I go to effect- modules it's empty and I just see the word module with no effects

I'm using Windows 10
    but when I go to effect- modules it's empty and I just see the word module with no effects

I'm using Windows 10
    Hi Andrew, please take 5min and read the manual or watch the quick start guide.
    You need to use the script panel.
    Cheers.
    Val.

I'm using Windows 10
    Hi Andrew, please take 5min and read the manual or watch the quick start guide.
    You need to use the script panel.
    Cheers.
    Val.
    Wow! mind blown, just watched the video
  • Hello , i have the trial version of the script , i've checked the tutorial but still not sure if this is the right tool for the job , the project i am working on is for a family tree , i want to achieve this with only one line 
    imagethis is just an example . thank you 
  • Hi

As you can see, there's not ONE line in your design but something more like a tree with different branches. You can do this with our products with the many-to-one feature.
    Cheers.
    Val.
    Sham 00 said:
    Hello , i have the trial version of the script , i've checked the tutorial but still not sure if this is the right tool for the job , the project i am working on is for a family tree , i want to achieve this with only one line 
    imagethis is just an example . thank you 

• Hello, 
    Just a question before buying for a project.
    Is it possible to connect and animate between points from a bezier shape ? 
    Or it have to be only between multiple layers ? (in that case i need to find a way to split the points from my shape in multiple layers)

I need to animate and connects points inside a letter like strings.
    Is it possible with this plugin ?
    It could be a great time saver for me.
    Thanks for your answer
    yerom
  • Hello, 
    Just a question before buying for a project.
    Is it possible to connect and animate between points from a bezier shape ? 
    Or it have to be only between multiple layers ? (in that case i need to find a way to split the points from my shape in multiple layers)

I need to animate and connects points inside a letter like strings.
    Is it possible with this plugin ?
    It could be a great time saver for me.
    Thanks for your answer
    yerom
    Hi Jerome,
    CLP only works with multiple objects not with bezier shapes.
    Please open a support ticket and join your design so we can see what you need. :)
  • Hello,

I'm thinking of purchasing this plugin for a specific project, but I will be working from my desktop and laptop computer for this one.
    Does it work on two computers (owned by same person using the same adobe id)??
  • Hello,

I'm thinking of purchasing this plugin for a specific project, but I will be working from my desktop and laptop computer for this one.
    Does it work on two computers (owned by same person using the same adobe id)??
    Hi Elie,

We grant you a license that can be installed on one computer at work and one computer at home or mobile. But you cannot use it at the same time.

Cheers.
    Val.
  • Hi, this looks good, I'm just trailing it. I'm trying to copy all the attributes from one line to another. It will copy jus the stroke but I need it to coy the arrow head and trim. I'm having to to it manually on all the layers. I'll have a lot of flow charts to do if this is possible. Thanks. Good work
  • tim clark said:
    Hi, this looks good, I'm just trailing it. I'm trying to copy all the attributes from one line to another. It will copy jus the stroke but I need it to coy the arrow head and trim. I'm having to to it manually on all the layers. I'll have a lot of flow charts to do if this is possible. Thanks. Good work
    Hi Tim
    Unfortunately with the actual version of ConnectLayersPRO you cannot duplicate a connection or copy / paste settings.

Cheers.
    Val
  • This plugin/script is filled with so many features. Thanks. for this. 
  • This plugin/script is filled with so many features. Thanks. for this. 
    thank you so much for the kind words :)
  • Thank you for this plugin, a real lifesaver!

I'm having trouble creating a perfect circle. The steps I took:

- Create 2 nulls right next to each other (pos 10,60 and 110,60)
    - Duplicate the 2 nulls on top of those 2.
    - Create chain on the 4 nulls with Arc.

It seems like a circle, but when I rotate it, you'll notice it deforms and it's not quite a perfect circle.

Is there another way to achieve this?
  • Hi Rowan!

We have done a tutorial about this:
    If you set the value of the "Custom Bézier Tension" to 39, it will be almost perfect.

Cheers.
    Val.

Thank you for this plugin, a real lifesaver!

I'm having trouble creating a perfect circle. The steps I took:

- Create 2 nulls right next to each other (pos 10,60 and 110,60)
    - Duplicate the 2 nulls on top of those 2.
    - Create chain on the 4 nulls with Arc.

It seems like a circle, but when I rotate it, you'll notice it deforms and it's not quite a perfect circle.

Is there another way to achieve this?

• Please open a support ticket and send us a minimal version of your aep.
    Cheers.
    Val

• Awesome stuff, plugin is working mostly great!  Just one weird issue.. 

I have a scene with some 3D null objects that I'm using to generate connections with Connect Layers Pro.  Works like a charm.  

However, I also have some secondary layers that I have parented to the null objects.  For some reason, when I run the Connect Layers Pro command on the nulls objects, the children layers get renamed with "..." at the end.

So for example, "Child 01" gets renamed  to "Child 01.." and "Child 01..." and "Child 01...." and so-on.  An extra period for every copy.  This normally wouldnt be an issue but it's breaking the scripts I have on them.  Any one run into this problem before?
  • Awesome stuff, plugin is working mostly great!  Just one weird issue.. 

I have a scene with some 3D null objects that I'm using to generate connections with Connect Layers Pro.  Works like a charm.  

However, I also have some secondary layers that I have parented to the null objects.  For some reason, when I run the Connect Layers Pro command on the nulls objects, the children layers get renamed with "..." at the end.

So for example, "Child 01" gets renamed  to "Child 01.." and "Child 01..." and "Child 01...." and so-on.  An extra period for every copy.  This normally wouldnt be an issue but it's breaking the scripts I have on them.  Any one run into this problem before?
    Hi Dylan,
    CLPro renames layers having the same name in order to avoid confusion when referenced in expressions. To prevent this, simply make sure your layers have different names before running CLPro.

Cheers,
    Charles
  • Dealing with Real 3D switched on, when I want to use the feature of "Add To Existing Connection" I get an error saying "The selected layer "All_Connecytions 1 controller" doesn't have the 'Controller Layer' effect applied to it"

- What am I doing wrong here, or is it npt possible to use this feature with 3D segments?

• Dealing with Real 3D switched on, when I want to use the feature of "Add To Existing Connection" I get an error saying "The selected layer "All_Connecytions 1 controller" doesn't have the 'Controller Layer' effect applied to it"

- What am I doing wrong here, or is it npt possible to use this feature with 3D segments?

Hi Harold,

Could you please open a support ticket, providing your project file so we can test it here ?

Cheers
  • After purchasing this tool I've wondered how I ever survived without it! 

Would it be possible to have "pseudo 3D" where you basically create 2D lines, that follow 3D points. I mean that those lines would be same as you create when your creating a line that is following a 2D point, but this time it would follow 3D point. The current 3D funcitonality works technically really well, but I've ran into situation where the line orients in a way that it is almost invisible. Having an option to attach 2D lines to 3D point's would in my opinion be a good addition to this tool. This would be good alternative for the current 3D lines feature.

Anycase, if anyone is wondering... There is no better tool for this kind of job. So thanks for that!