• Hi! I'm trying the demo version and I just can tweak Orbit and Look at. The others options are greyed out. Why could this be?

Thanks!
  • Hi! I'm trying the demo version and I just can tweak Orbit and Look at. The others options are greyed out. Why could this be?

Thanks!
    Buy it,
  • This looks amazing and a must have (should have been part of AE a LONG time ago).  However, is there the possibility you will release a CS6-compatible version? 
  • I am confused about X Orbit. IF I do a complete rotation it seems as if the item flips and the camera turns back. Is that correct? The Y Orbit doesn't operate this way. Thanks for an explanation
  • It seems there's a bug regarding the Depth Of Field option. It doesn't work unless the Focus Point is set to zero (then everything is blurry).

Thanks!
    Hi Ignacio

Those options are greyed out in the trial version but functional when registered.
  • Too many people these days are about as sharp as butter knives, so a statement should be included in the description by all authors whose demo versions are limited in functionality until the product is purchased and registered...There is a reason that there are books made for Dummies, so this one would read, "Trial Version Versus Registered Version For Dummies."
  • hello, 
    the script does not work on the French version (CC 2019). 
    I have 2 script errors just after clicking setup .

Can you help me? Thank you.

• hello, 
    the script does not work on the French version (CC 2019). 
    I have 2 script errors just after clicking setup .

Can you help me? Thank you.

Hi Hubert

We have an update coming shortly for this. However if you send a message to [email protected] I can send you the pre-release version. 
  • Hello 

Love this script, such a time saver. high recommended for anyone!
    I love how easy this works!

I am having an issue.

I have finished my project and want to send this to someone who dies not have the plugin. I click bake expressions and I get this pop up. 
    'Error: Couldn't find HandyCam Camera Click 'Setup' to create a new one'

I then click setup. I then get a second handycam and the same problem cycles. Any suggestions? I need to get this project out to the client. 

many thanks 

• Hello,

Thank you for this script which replaces very advantageously "Malty Simple Camera Rig". However, there was one function that was useful: the possibility of associating MaltyCameraRig with Andrew Kramer's SureTarget, which has some very useful functions and which are still unavailable in other scripts (I'm talking about target tracking). Is an implementation of these functions, or a possibility to mix the two scripts are considered.

Thank you.
  • Hi Sebastien,

Currently there are no plans to make HandyCam work with sure target, however we will definitely look into it more and see if it's an option.

Kind regards,
    Matthew.

Hello,

Thank you for this script which replaces very advantageously "Malty Simple Camera Rig". However, there was one function that was useful: the possibility of associating MaltyCameraRig with Andrew Kramer's SureTarget, which has some very useful functions and which are still unavailable in other scripts (I'm talking about target tracking). Is an implementation of these functions, or a possibility to mix the two scripts are considered.

Thank you.

• Tim K K said:
    This looks amazing and a must have (should have been part of AE a LONG time ago).  However, is there the possibility you will release a CS6-compatible version? 
    Guess that's a "NO" ?
  • Tim K K said:
    Tim K K said:
    This looks amazing and a must have (should have been part of AE a LONG time ago).  However, is there the possibility you will release a CS6-compatible version? 
    Guess that's a "NO" ?

Hey Tim, 

Unfortunately HandyCam is not currently compatible with CS6, we're working on it but unfortunately CS6 has alot of missing API features that are required.

Kind regards,
    Matthew.
  • Hi can you tell me how to switch "look at" targets as the camera animates to different locations? I need to focus on one thing then move and look at another and so on.

Thanks!
  • Hi,
    it seems there is some issues with After Effects 2020, when I'm using HandyCam 1.1 (or previous version) - on macOS Mojave - it's very slow and takes 1 to 2 seconds to render the camera after any change.
    I tried into CC 2019 (version 16.1.3) and it's much faster... at the beginning, then it starts to slow down.
    Is there any update planned, or something to do to improve it ?
    Many thanks.
  • Hi,
    it seems there is some issues with After Effects 2020, when I'm using HandyCam 1.1 (or previous version) - on macOS Mojave - it's very slow and takes 1 to 2 seconds to render the camera after any change.
    I tried into CC 2019 (version 16.1.3) and it's much faster... at the beginning, then it starts to slow down.
    Is there any update planned, or something to do to improve it ?
    Many thanks.
    Hi Sebastien

Could you please submit a support ticket as that is definitely not intended behaviour! Thanks. 
  • seeing this on windows, unsure what i'm doing to to trigger it .. https://imgur.com/36zPvUL

anyone encounter this? too nervous to use this if there's no fix or workaround. no pressure. thank you friends.
  • I have tried handycam and when I want to export with Encoder it is not possible, I get the following message: "the project could not be opened". Does this have a solution? I want to buy the plugin but I will not do it until there is a solution. I have After Effects and Encoder CC 2020 in Spanish.
  • I have tried handycam and when I want to export with Encoder it is not possible, I get the following message: "the project could not be opened". Does this have a solution? I want to buy the plugin but I will not do it until there is a solution. I have After Effects and Encoder CC 2020 in Spanish.
    Hi Renato

I believe this issue is with the most recent AME update from Adobe. Their advice has been to either download the public beta version or roll back one version. Let me know how you go and if you have any issues please open a ticket or contact [email protected]
  • Hello! It seems to me that this is the script I need.
    I need to make an animation by assigning targets to a camera to create an animation. Identical to what could be done with VideoCopilot's SureTarget plugin.
    Can this plugin do this?

• Hello! It seems to me that this is the script I need.
    I need to make an animation by assigning targets to a camera to create an animation. Identical to what could be done with VideoCopilot's SureTarget plugin.
    Can this plugin do this?

Hi Juan

HandyCam works a bit differently to Sure Target. You can have a camera target in HandyCam but you can't tween between multiple targets in the same way. You can however move your single target to different locations to emulate the behaviour. I'd recommend downloading the free trial and seeing if it suits your purpose. 
  • hi I wanted to know if HANDYCAM also works with after effects 2021
  • Hi,

great plugin, but it doesn't work properly with eg. Stardust, there is no Depth of Field possible - why?
    BEST
  • Hi,

I love what you have done designing the controls.  Im having a big drop in performance when using the plugin compared to a basic camera setup.

The frame rate drops by at least half with a basic 3d scene setup.

Is there a stable afx version or setup you can advise?

Cheers

• Hi,

I love what you have done designing the controls.  Im having a big drop in performance when using the plugin compared to a basic camera setup.

The frame rate drops by at least half with a basic 3d scene setup.

Is there a stable afx version or setup you can advise?

Cheers

Hi Dan

Have just responded to your ticket. Just putting this here for future reference if people are having frame rate drops, please check that the expressions engine is set to Javascript in the project settings as this will give a large boost in performance.
  • Hi

Is this definitely compatible with AE 2021? The app used to install says only 2020
    and I am in crash hell, trying to figure out what the problem is. Thanks.

• Hi

Is this definitely compatible with AE 2021? The app used to install says only 2020
    and I am in crash hell, trying to figure out what the problem is. Thanks.

Hi Lori

Yes I can confirm it's working on 2021 on our end. Is there a specific action that causes it to crash, or does it seem to crash randomly? Hopefully we can replicate it on our end and find a fix. If you could please open a support ticket so we can track the issue that would be helpful. Thanks. 
  • Hello,

I was wondering if there might be a way to view the motion path of the camera?

Thank you
  • Hello,

I was wondering if there might be a way to view the motion path of the camera?

Thank you
    Hi William

Not "on the fly", however I think this could be achieved by baking the camera's keyframes. 
  • Hello !

Thanks for this plugin. I was still using Simply malt's rigs...but needed to update a bit and : 

-> this plugin seems a bit slower. Isn't that weird ? do you know why ? I guess there are lot more of scripting stuffs inside ? or maybe i missed something ? (i already put javascript)

-> more annoying...but maybe again i missed something : when i orbit around the X axis ("pitch") when i go beyond 90° or above it the camera seems to back over -90 (dunno how to explain this well in english..) and not having a contiuous movement...do you know what i mean ? that's not how malty's rig working, and that's a bit weird for me right now. Is this a bug or sumething ?

Thanks for your help !
  • Hello !

Thanks for this plugin. I was still using Simply malt's rigs...but needed to update a bit and : 

-> this plugin seems a bit slower. Isn't that weird ? do you know why ? I guess there are lot more of scripting stuffs inside ? or maybe i missed something ? (i already put javascript)

-> more annoying...but maybe again i missed something : when i orbit around the X axis ("pitch") when i go beyond 90° or above it the camera seems to back over -90 (dunno how to explain this well in english..) and not having a contiuous movement...do you know what i mean ? that's not how malty's rig working, and that's a bit weird for me right now. Is this a bug or sumething ?

Thanks for your help !
    Hi Alexandra

Regarding the performance, could you please ensure you're using the new javascript engine inside AE? If so and you are still getting poor performance, could you please send me the .aep? My email is [email protected]

I'll get back to you regarding the orbit.
  • Hello,
    Is there any way to map XYZ function to Dials on Loupdeck for Handy Cam??
  • Hi!
    I was torn between this and Monkey cam but I think I made the right choice for the project as I wanted more of a real camera feel. I think it's fantastic! Really well done.
    One issue that I can't seem to get is when I use the Pedestal to Boom down I can't seem to tilt the camera correctly at the target. I thought I could do it manually but it still doesn't quite do what I wanted. I basically want it to point to the target as I go up and down. Is it possible?
    In any event, great Rig! Love it so far.
    Jamie
  • Hi!
    I was torn between this and Monkey cam but I think I made the right choice for the project as I wanted more of a real camera feel. I think it's fantastic! Really well done.
    One issue that I can't seem to get is when I use the Pedestal to Boom down I can't seem to tilt the camera correctly at the target. I thought I could do it manually but it still doesn't quite do what I wanted. I basically want it to point to the target as I go up and down. Is it possible?
    In any event, great Rig! Love it so far.
    Jamie
    Hi Jamie

Thanks for your comment. If I understand you correctly, you want to keep looking at the target while the camera moves up in the y axis. I believe this camera move would really be an x orbit, with the z position offset increasing. If I don't understand you correctly, do you have an example clip of the camera move you're looking to achieve so we're both on the same page?
  • Hello,
    I have my project set up with a Null controlling the camera and all the basic moves are there.
    Can I add the Handy Cam to my current project and keep all the basic movements?
    I want to refine and polish my project to smooth everythin out and add some subtle handheld drift.
    Thank you
  • Hello,
    I have my project set up with a Null controlling the camera and all the basic moves are there.
    Can I add the Handy Cam to my current project and keep all the basic movements?
    I want to refine and polish my project to smooth everythin out and add some subtle handheld drift.
    Thank you
    Hi Charlie

In your current project, is the camera being driven by a null? If so, you can apply HandyCam to that null and the null should already be set as the target inside the HC effect. If your current animation is not driven by a null, it's not possible unfortunately. Feel free to download the tree trial if you haven't already, some features aren't available but you'll be able to see if your previous camera animation works with HC.
  • Thanks for the last response.  i bought the product.  Love it.
    Love your cheeky Youtube videos as well.

Next Question
    Is there a way to keyframe the Focus Layer?  
    I am still learning how to rack focus between objects and my work is all photoshop paintings and the point of interest is constantly changing.
    Any advice on learning how to change the focus manually and precisely.

Thank you for your time
  • Can you please help me.  What is the easiest way to change the focus layer?  Should I do it on the camera itself or rack focus using Focus Distance on Handy Cam.  Thank you for your time
  • Can you please help me.  What is the easiest way to change the focus layer?  Should I do it on the camera itself or rack focus using Focus Distance on Handy Cam.  Thank you for your time
    Hi Charlie
    I would suggest using focus distance on the HC effect. When you say what's the easiest way to change the focus layer, is it that you want to focus on one layer and then change to focus on another layer? In that case, since layers can't be keyframed I would suggest having a null layer that animates from one object to another and set that null as the focus layer. 
  • Is HandyCam compatible with OS Monterey? 
    The computer I just upgraded can't find HandyCam at all, it is not available. But the computer I have still on Big Sur can find it. 
  • Is HandyCam compatible with OS Monterey? 
    The computer I just upgraded can't find HandyCam at all, it is not available. But the computer I have still on Big Sur can find it. 
    Hi Jessica
    I'm still on big Sur so I can't test Monterey right now, however it should be compatible. Are you using the aescripts manager app to install? If not I would recommend using that to manage installation and licensing, as it can help to avoid issues. If you are using the aescripts manager app and it's still not showing up, please submit a support ticket so we can assist further. 

1. What were you trying to do?

In my comp I have an object in Element 3D that is controlled by a Null. The null is in the exact location of the object. I set the target for HandyCam to the Element object null so the HandyCam will look at the object.

1. What do you think should have happened?

Handycam should look at the target null.

1. What happened instead?

HandyCam moves completely away from the original setup spot and seems to be looking in a random direction.

1. What system/software do you use?

Using macOS 10.13.7 (High Sierra) and After Effects 2020

1. What were you trying to do?

In my comp I have an object in Element 3D that is controlled by a Null. The null is in the exact location of the object. I set the target for HandyCam to the Element object null so the HandyCam will look at the object.

1. What do you think should have happened?

Handycam should look at the target null.

1. What happened instead?

HandyCam moves completely away from the original setup spot and seems to be looking in a random direction.

1. What system/software do you use?

Using macOS 10.13.7 (High Sierra) and After Effects 2020

Hey Jamie,

I'm sorry to hear that HandyCam isn't working for you as it should, thank you for sending through that information it's very helpful.
    Could I please ask you open up a support ticket? It just makes the back and forth as we try and solve this issue a little easier.

Kind regards,
    Matthew.
  • Is there an update coming for this plugin?
    Hi Michael, sorry to ask a silly question, but what are you wanting updated?
  • Is this compatible with AE 2022?
    Thank you,
    Amr
    Just noticed that it hadn't been updated since 2020. Was wondering if it is still under development and support?
    Just noticed that it hadn't been updated since 2020. Was wondering if it is still under development and support?
    Hey yeah it is, we just haven't had any bug reports and it's been a crazy year for me so I haven't really had time to work on new features lately.
  • Hey! how can i resolve the problem? after effects shows me a message "this effects may slow down prewiev and export as it is not optimized for multiframe rendering"  :((