PATTOON - After Effects Texturing Plugin

• imagePATTOON - After Effects Texturing Plugin

Texture mapping in Adobe AfterEffects is finally made easy with PATTOON. It's a fully integrated AfterEffects plugin that comes with a bunch of extra features, textures and presets for all your design needs.

https://aescripts.com/pattoon/

• I have a question about this great plugin that I purchased.
    Is it possible to copy and export the patterns used in a project (and insert them in a specific folder) before archiving it?
    this to prevent the following (future) reopening of the project missing the patterns used (if no longer present on the computer).
    It would be nice if there was a way to do this automatically: that the plugin save in a specific folder (together with the resources of the project) only the patterns actually used.
  • I have a question about this great plugin that I purchased.
    Is it possible to copy and export the patterns used in a project (and insert them in a specific folder) before archiving it?
    this to prevent the following (future) reopening of the project missing the patterns used (if no longer present on the computer).
    It would be nice if there was a way to do this automatically: that the plugin save in a specific folder (together with the resources of the project) only the patterns actually used.

Hello Filippo, first thank you for supporting our Work. 

Regarding your question. In this version it is not automatically possible to archive the maps used in a project by saving it. All Maps are stored in your local root Folder or in the linked network devices (Pattoon Settings Panel). All Maps stay there until you manually delete them. If you don’t delete maps (may of Disc space issues etc.) they will stay always there. But this could be a very handy feature to have in the next Version. Thank you for this feedback. If there is a Button like “MAKE PAKAGE” it could be build a Bundle like in InDesign do share and archive. That’s what you need right? 

At the Moment you can of course put all needed Maps into one folder and save them manually to the Project in case you need that. This could be also useful if you work with partners to share the same Folder. As is mentioned bevor, I’m sorry that this has to be done manually at the Moment. 

We will keep your thoughts for the further development of Pattoon, because it’s a very handy idea from You.

Hope that is ok for you so far

Cheers

Ollie

• Hello,

Can Pattoon be applied to shape layers or groups and objects within shape layers?

Thanks.
  • Hi Frank,

Pattoon can be applied to Shaps, Masks, Compositions, Solids, Text, VideoClips, and Vector Layers. You can import for example Illustrator Files as Composition with layers and so you can apply Pattoon to each layer seperatly if you like to.
    Masks.JPG
    3558 x 2067 - 535K
  • Great. Thanks.
    And the effects is applied per layer, right? You're not able to apply several textures to one shape layer. So that every shape within that layer has its own unique texture.
  • Yes that’s right it applies the Texture to each layer. but you can mix the Textures with other instances of pattoon. 

So one layer with 3 shapes means that all shapes have the same texture. :-) You cant access the single shapes BUT

if you work with masks, you have access to the single masks on one layer. so there can be for example on layer with 5 masks on it, each mask can have their own texture. But this works not on shapes in this Version of Pattoon.

Hope that helps you so far

Cheers

Ollie

• does it provide texture in it??
  • does 200 textures include in this plugin?

• Hello Eric - yes the full version comes with over 200 textures and patterns Cheers Ollie
  • hello i have a no path found alert when i click on the the chess pattern , my library does not open, strange
  • Hello, the assets archive is damaged and stops at Grass-Mudy-3_Albedo. I've tried with both the built in macOS archive utility and Unarchiver, as well as re-downloading the archive.
  • Hello Rob, i will check that, we had no problems so fare, sorry for this issue. You have mail :-) Cheers Oliver
  • Hello Francois, Can you pleas check the path on your local machine. Should be the same as in the settings tap of Patton showed. Is it possible to send us a screenshot of the lokal root where the library is installed? Are you on mac or on Windos? Do you have a folder named Pattoon?
  • Hello Rob,

seems like it was a problem with the Downloadserver. We fixed the issue. You have a Mail regarding this Problem. Thanks for supporting Pattoon. If you have any further questions pleas leave a comment or give us a Mail. 

Cheers Oliver

• Hi.
    It seems we have a great plugin here, thanks Ilumy design!
    I have a question though,
    If we send the .ae source file to a client or partner and he doesn't have Patton, then what happens to assets in our project which we textured using Patton?
    Is there a feature like "baking" the pattern to the asset, preventing the problem when others open the project file without having Patton?

Thanks.
  • Hi Mohsen,

first thank you for the comment.

We had a view requests regarding Exporting Textures to the Project, so this will be a thing to bring with the next update of Pattoon. The Baking Feature (like in 3D Apps) is a little tricky. Means if you have a Particular effect installed and the Partner doesn’t have the Plugin it wont work. So at the Moment it’s the same to Pattoon. We believe that Pattoon is a very good Plugin specially with its connections to Adobe Capture App and PS-Patterns so we definitely think over Export features to share Projects in the Future.

Thanks for supporting us

Cheers

Oliver

• Thanks for your quick reply Oliver.
    So, what's the solution right now? I want to send the project file to my client tomorrow and I wanna know that, if I buy and use Pattoon for texturing, what will happen when my client open the projects file, considering he doesn't have the plugin?
    Does he loose the texture and patterns? What's the possible quick solution we can use right now?
  • Thanks for your quick reply Oliver.
    So, what's the solution right now? I want to send the project file to my client tomorrow and I wanna know that, if I buy and use Pattoon for texturing, what will happen when my client open the projects file, considering he doesn't have the plugin?
    Does he loose the texture and patterns? What's the possible quick solution we can use right now?

Hi Mohsen,

if you like to give the "open Files" to the Client, he must have Pattoon installed. He can use The Trial version if you send him the used Maps to the Project. Important that he save them in the same Folder as you do on your machine. sharing between Mac and Windows should make no difference.

In this case he can see the result but has the Red line limitation from the Trial version. So the Client can se the Work but not final render it:

Using that without Pattoon is not possible. Again thanks for the request

Cheers Oliver
  • Thanks for your response Oliver.
    I hope we can see this important feature in future updates.
    Keep up the good work.
  • Hello,

It looks like a great plugin

PATTOON vs Ray Dynamic Texture... What's the best?
    What' the differencies?

Thanks

Rox
  • Hello,

What' the differencies?

Thanks

Rox

Hi Rox,

first I’m not so familiar with Ray Texture but as I see on the first look these are the differences:

Pattoon is not a script it is a native Plugin

Pattoon makes it possible to use Photoshop Pattern direct in Aftereffects

Pattoon has a direct integration of Adobe Cloud Capture Patterns (App for your mobile device is connected to Aftereffects automatically with Pattoon)

Pattoon has a Customizable intern Texture Library that stays always with Pattoon. You can import own JPG/PNG Files and store them there

Pattoon can connect permanent up to 4 Network Map recourses (may you are a studio with central Maps on a Server)

Pattoon works on Shapes, Text, Solids, Masks, Comps, PreComps, and MovieClips

Pattoon works as Texture "Container" for Movies, Comps, and any Layers and effects to use as Texture. This is a very handy Tool for many daily things like transitions etc.

Pattoon comes in full version with over 200 Assets (Textures and Graphics)

What is the better choice? This is hard to say, it depends on your needs and we are not the Ray Texture pros. So its hard to give a meaning to that. May you like to try the Trail version and have a look what fits best to your needs.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Hopefully this helps you a bit regarding your question.

Cheers

Oliver

• Hello,

What' the differencies?

Thanks

Rox

Hi Rox,

first I’m not so familiar with Ray Texture but as I see on the first look these are the differences:

Pattoon is not a script it is a native Plugin

Pattoon makes it possible to use Photoshop Pattern direct in Aftereffects

Pattoon has a direct integration of Adobe Cloud Capture Patterns (App for your mobile device is connected to Aftereffects automatically with Pattoon)

Pattoon has a Customizable intern Texture Library that stays always with Pattoon. You can import own JPG/PNG Files and store them there

Pattoon can connect permanent up to 4 Network Map recourses (may you are a studio with central Maps on a Server)

Pattoon works on Shapes, Text, Solids, Masks, Comps, PreComps, and MovieClips

Pattoon works as Texture "Container" for Movies, Comps, and any Layers and effects to use as Texture. This is a very handy Tool for many daily things like transitions etc.

Pattoon comes in full version with over 200 Assets (Textures and Graphics)

What is the better choice? This is hard to say, it depends on your needs and we are not the Ray Texture pros. So its hard to give a meaning to that. May you like to try the Trail version and have a look what fits best to your needs.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Hopefully this helps you a bit regarding your question.

Cheers

Oliver

...plus Patton doesn't create two extra layers for each textured object.
  •  If there is a Button like “MAKE PAKAGE” it could be build a Bundle like in InDesign do share and archive. That’s what you need right? 

Ollie

hi oliver
    I find your plugin really useful.
    it was something that was just missing in after effects.

yes, I hope that in the next plugin updates there will be the possibility of having a "MAKE PAKAGE" button that allows only the textures used to be stored among the project resources.
  • We have an issue with this, just downloaded Pattoon but there is a red grid appearing on everything when the effect is applied, please help!
  • We have an issue with this, just downloaded Pattoon but there is a red grid appearing on everything when the effect is applied, please help!

Hi David

First, Thank you for supporting us. 

The Grid is because you have to acvitvate the licens. you find that in the Settings of patton. simply paste the LicNumer from aescripts and click Activate!
    Set_a.JPG
    457 x 568 - 37K
    Set_b.JPG
    1046 x 568 - 46K
    Set_3.JPG
    663 x 185 - 26K
  • Hi there. I'm really happy with purchasing Pattoon and I've already used it in my latest project
    which you can check here: https://vimeo.com/358509297
    I'm not here to shamelesly "plugin" my work, but I thought you wanted to see your greatplugin in action.
    I love that you can build your library with Pattoon and that it removes a lot of clutter when dealing with many layers. My questions is this:
    Is there a way to parent the effect to a specific layer? Now here's what I mean: yes I can apply pattoon to any layer I want and I can hit "lock pattern" so the pattern moves with the layer if I animate it, but if the layer is parented to a null that drives the animation pattoon does not stay locked in. What I have to do is preocmp the layer with pattoon and then parent it for animation. But is there a way to do this without having to precomp? 
  • Hi there. I'm really happy with purchasing Pattoon and I've already used it in my latest project
    I'm not here to shamelesly "plugin" my work, but I thought you wanted to see your greatplugin in action.
    I love that you can build your library with Pattoon and that it removes a lot of clutter when dealing with many layers. My questions is this:
    Is there a way to parent the effect to a specific layer? Now here's what I mean: yes I can apply pattoon to any layer I want and I can hit "lock pattern" so the pattern moves with the layer if I animate it, but if the layer is parented to a null that drives the animation pattoon does not stay locked in. What I have to do is preocmp the layer with pattoon and then parent it for animation. But is there a way to do this without having to precomp? 

Hi Bogdan,

first thank you for supporting us. I send the request to our developing and hope to have an answer soon. We ar hardly working un the Update and some very cool new Features. 

Can we post your Video on our Instachanel? Link it - Would that be fine withe you?

Cheers Ollie

Hi Bogdan,

first thank you for supporting us. I send the request to our developing and hope to have an answer soon. We ar hardly working un the Update and some very cool new Features. 

Can we post your Video on our Instachanel? Link it - Would that be fine withe you?

Cheers Ollie

Hi Bogdan,

Just tested the new Version of Pattoon. It is allready implemented and woriking. So this is one of the new Features from the Upcoming release of Pattoon. This is of course free to all Customers!!

Cheers
    Ollie

• Is it possible to use animated textures?
    Precomp/video as a texture in Pattoon?
  • Hi Jakub,

Yes it is possible, simply change the source in Pattoon (First option in the Effects menu) from File to Layer, thats it :-)
  • Hi, i would like to know if the file is lighter if the texture is duplicate with platoon than if i use a big picture of my texture already duplicated in photoshop and  illustrator =)

thanks for your reply ;)
  • Hi, 
    I've added a noisy texture on a colored circle with Overlay blending mode in Illustrator. 
    When I try to add the same texture on the same colored circle with Overlay in Pattoon... the outcome is completely different !! Why is that ? 

There is a screenshot of the difference between the two Overlay blending mode (Illustrator vs Pattoon).

https://imgur.com/CXVpp5X

It seems to me like a important bug.

Thanks in advance!
  • Hi Etienne,

we released today a new version with more and detailed overlays. Could you please check the result. Would be nice to hear from You!

Cheers
    Oliver

• Hi Oliver, 
    I've tried the new Pattoon. 
    The Overlay blending mode is still very different that the Ray Dynamic Texture one... 

Oddly, the Hard Light mode match better the Overlay mode of Ray Dynamic Texture... 

It seems that Overlay and Hard Light have been simply inverted ?! 

Here is a new screenshot :

• Hi Etienn,

as i spock to my development this is nearly a Religion :-) adobe swaped its modes lately. So many people have suggestions regarding this beavior. Find one here:

but we swaped it anyway for the next update so you can be shure that its behavior will change with the next version.

Hope that helps you a bit

Cheers
    Oliver

• Hello, I purchased and now installing Pattoon during cyberweek; in my download I am missing the Pattoon Presets folder; I have the Textures assets but Presets were not in the assets download folder
  • Hi Michael,

Yes thats right, due to the Update from Adobe to CC2020 and its new Expression behavior, some of the Expressions are not kompatible between 2020 and down Versions. So to don´t cunfuse tour Customers we decided to NOT deliver any Preset. This is becaus if you use the Presets in the wrong version Aftereffects will completely hang up on MAC. On PC it depends on Windows Version. 

Hopefully Adobe will fix that Bug in Aftereffects 2020. I can send you the Presets of course if you like. Sorry for that issue but it is not in our Hands to solve that. Its an Adobe thing.

Thanks for supporting us and your request

Cheers

Oliver

• I've tried using this plugin in CC 2019 and 2020, and have run across the same problem where if I import a texture from my computer, it causes AE (and my computer in general) to slow down a lot, to the point where I have to force exit AE. I can't use this plugin as I don't have time to troubleshoot this issue; how do I get a refund?
  • Hi Derek

Im sorry for your issues. We never had this problem across all our Custumers since launch 6 Month ago. We are interested in what couses this particular problems on Your Station.

It could help us by opening a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1 and providing some specs regarding your computer (RAM, OS, Cash, CPU). It also could help if you will send us a sample File.

If you are working with High-Res textures you should make shoure that you have enough RAM installed on you Workstation. 

But anyway, you should have the refund on you account. if not pleas let me know.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers Oliver 

I've tried using this plugin in CC 2019 and 2020, and have run across the same problem where if I import a texture from my computer, it causes AE (and my computer in general) to slow down a lot, to the point where I have to force exit AE. I can't use this plugin as I don't have time to troubleshoot this issue; how do I get a refund?

• Hi there, I recently bought Pattoon (v 1.5.1) and I am experiencing a similar problem to Derek. Especially with using my own texture file within a comp (which isn't very big - barely HD.)
    I have a RAM monitoring app and when I use a project that with Pattoon my RAM starts to fill well beyond the 'reserved for other apps' limit set in the After Effects preferences.
    I get the dialog "After effects requires 2 or more frames ... " which I presume is because there isn't enough RAM left.
    I have to restart After Effects as purging the memory and the cache makes no difference once the dialogue has popped up.

I'm going to try deleting the plugin and re-installing it as I had issue linking the Pattoon assets to the plugin and had to manually instal them.
    I'll keep you posted and if the problem persists I'll start a support ticket and send you the relevant details.

Cheers,

Dylan
  • Hi there, I recently bought Pattoon (v 1.5.1) and I am experiencing a similar problem to Derek. Especially with using my own texture file within a comp (which isn't very big - barely HD.)
    I have a RAM monitoring app and when I use a project that with Pattoon my RAM starts to fill well beyond the 'reserved for other apps' limit set in the After Effects preferences.
    I get the dialog "After effects requires 2 or more frames ... " which I presume is because there isn't enough RAM left.
    I have to restart After Effects as purging the memory and the cache makes no difference once the dialogue has popped up.

I'm going to try deleting the plugin and re-installing it as I had issue linking the Pattoon assets to the plugin and had to manually instal them.
    I'll keep you posted and if the problem persists I'll start a support ticket and send you the relevant details.

Cheers,

Dylan
    Hi Dylan,

pleas make shure that you not use or install the Presets (if you have them) the presets couses this kind of Ram Overflow because of Adobe´s changes to the exspression language. 

Can you tell me what version of Aftereffcts you are using? 

Cheers
    Oliver

• Hi Oliver,

Thanks for the reply. I am using vers 17.0.5. on Mac OS X mojave. 
    I haven't installed any presets. I have installed the textures into the Pattoon folder like your instructions suggested.
    After deleting the plugin and assets, I re-installed via the AE scripts app and copied the downloaded assets into the Pattoon folder.
    Pattoon is currently installed at MacintoshHD > Library > Application Support > Pattoon.

• Hi Oliver,

Another quick update - By switching off the viewport render (Caps Lock) I could go into each layer of Pattoon and relink the gradient asset. The plugin saw the file and updated. 
    I switch the viewport back on and everything appears in place. I will continue working and see if there is still a memory leak.

I am using multiple instances of Pattoon on one layer (one instance using a custom texture and one using a gradient.)

I will keep you posted.
  • Hi Dylan,

thanks for the quick response - i will also forward this issue to my development team! we never had that issue on a Mac so far but who knows :-) i keep you posted to.

Thanks so far
    Cheers
    Oliver
  • Hi Oliver,

I am still experiencing RAM issues. 

• Hi Oliver,

Another update - I can't render my composition now. Either through Media Encoder or the Render queue.
    If it helps at all, I can bundle up the project and send it over to you? If you want me to do that, please advise on the best way to send you stuff.

I am considering re-installing After Effects and all my plugins, but I will wait in case you have any feedback.

Cheers,

Dylan.
  • Great plugin. But could use some more tutorials or videos. Hard to figure out exactly how to use all the new features.
  • Hi,

Is there anyway to have the textures stay locked to their layers, when the camera is animated?

Thanks,
    John
  • Hi,

Is there anyway to have the textures stay locked to their layers, when the camera is animated?

Thanks,
    John

Please open a support ticket here for assistance: https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • Hi, I'm using a "Blur By Word Animator" inside my text layer. I've applied a pattern across all the words and have noticed that although my words blur, the Pattoon pattern they contain does not. 

Is there a way to make the pattern blur when using a text animator property? I use these properties a lot. I've created the attached example pic using a horizontal line pattern for clarity sake to illustrate what I'm asking. You can see that the horizontal lines aren't blurring. 

Thanks!

Reference Pic is here: