• Hi, I download trial version for test but crash the After Effects CC 2019 all time, here screenshot:
  • Hello Onder

Thanks for flagging this up, I'll take a look into it. In the meantime can you try something for me?

Can you check you have a folder called 'Text Chain_data' in your Documents folder?
    If not, please download the attached zip and extract it on the Documents and let me know how it goes?!

After that, please shut your After Effects, then re-open and run the script again

Look forward to hearing from you

Thanks
    Dani
    zip
    zip
    Text Chain_data.zip
  • Hello Onder

Thanks for flagging this up, I'll take a look into it. In the meantime can you try something for me?

Can you check you have a folder called 'Text Chain_data' in your Documents folder?
    If not, please download the attached zip and extract it on the Documents and let me know how it goes?!

After that, please shut your After Effects, then re-open and run the script again

Look forward to hearing from you

Thanks
    Dani
    I checked and "Text Chain_data" folder here and I replaced your send file but same crash again
  • Hi Onder
    Wanted to let you know the Script has been updated and a new version is now available on the same page, please download the trial again, that will work now
    Many Thanks
    Dani
  • Hi Onder
    Wanted to let you know the Script has been updated and a new version is now available on the same page, please download the trial again, that will work now
    Many Thanks
    Dani
    Hi Dani, I downloaded the new version. I apply two text layer and giving this error (https://i.ibb.co/p0R8gQB/Trial-Error-2.png) but after close error panel working great. 
  • Hi Onder

I am glad you gave it another go.

If you work on Mac, depending on your OS, you might get this 'effect' as missing. 

It's not only the error message you've posted, but even in the Effect Controls panel the preset will be called 'Missing: Text Chain trial'.

However, this works just fine. I know it might be annoying but there is not solution for now - later versions of AE might fix this. I have also considered delivering simple 'Slider Control' and 'Checkbox', but I prefer keeping it as it is for the time been 

Thanks again for your input
    All the best
    Dani
  • Hi Onder

I am glad you gave it another go.

If you work on Mac, depending on your OS, you might get this 'effect' as missing. 

It's not only the error message you've posted, but even in the Effect Controls panel the preset will be called 'Missing: Text Chain trial'.

However, this works just fine. I know it might be annoying but there is not solution for now - later versions of AE might fix this. I have also considered delivering simple 'Slider Control' and 'Checkbox', but I prefer keeping it as it is for the time been 

Thanks again for your input
    All the best
    Dani
    I understand. Thanks.
  • Hello.  Can you use Text Chain with paragraph text in order to do automatic carriage returns to drop text to a new line?
  • Hello Paul Unfortunately no, but I'll consider to add this feature in the next update Will keep you posted!
  • Any chance this will support CS6, or perhaps in the future?
  • Hi Tim
    Thanks for your comment, I will definitely include CS6 in the next update
    Will keep you posted!
  • Using trial in CC2017 on Mac -- when I change the text of the first word I get an expression error warning and the link is broken. Changing the text of the second word seems to work fine.
  • Tim K K said:
    Any chance this will support CS6, or perhaps in the future?

Hi Tim
    Will keep you posted!
    +1 again to CS6 support please. I don't believe in CC Subscription - I choose and would rather pay developers of scripters and plugins rather than shareholders that don't give end users choice and also put out broken software... I've added over 100 scripts and few hundred plugins+ to my AE CS6 and I would argue its 1000% more capable, expanded and powerful with more features easily than the CC version. Also it would have cost less or the same, over time since CS6 was released but has far more potential.
  • @ James Scott
    Thanks for flagging this up, will get this one fixed in the next update
    Will let you know
    Thanka
  • @ Chris Marriott
    @ Tim K K 

Unfortunately I won't be able to accommodate your request as this script's core expression - Layer.sourceRectAtTime(t,includeExtents), has been added to After Effects only from Build 13.2 (CC 2014.2). Please find relative documentation below

Sorry about that

Dani
  • Tim K K said:
    Any chance this will support CS6, or perhaps in the future?

Hi Tim
    Will keep you posted!
    +1 again to CS6 support please. I don't believe in CC Subscription - I choose and would rather pay developers of scripters and plugins rather than shareholders that don't give end users choice and also put out broken software... I've added over 100 scripts and few hundred plugins+ to my AE CS6 and I would argue its 1000% more capable, expanded and powerful with more features easily than the CC version. Also it would have cost less or the same, over time since CS6 was released but has far more potential.
    Thank you Daniele, sounds great!  Sorry to hear that, Dani.  Thanks for looking into it though.

+1 to your +1 Chris ... I mostly agree.  I gave up on the CC a while ago and have not really missed it, or its subscription paradigm, except for when great plug-ins like this one are not compatible. :)
  • @ Chris Marriott
    @ Tim K K 

Unfortunately I won't be able to accommodate your request as this script's core expression - Layer.sourceRectAtTime(t,includeExtents), has been added to After Effects only from Build 13.2 (CC 2014.2). Please find relative documentation below

Sorry about that

Dani
    Maybe someone will release a script that interprets the new core expressions and makes them backwards compatible with CS6!  ;)
  • @ Chris Marriott
    @ Tim K K 

Sorry about that

Dani
    I wonder if there is a different core expression that could sudo create a similar outcome via a different means.
  • @ Chris Marriott
    @ Tim K K 

Sorry about that

Dani
    I wonder if there is a different core expression that could sudo create a similar outcome via a different means.
    Unsure if this would help but i've found this expression i wonder if it would help with the issue? - http://www.aenhancers.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=931
  • Hi Chris
    That's right, sampleImage() is the only way you could achieve that in CS6
    However this is a very slow expression, and don't think is worth it. Let's not forget you can also change type settings in the same Text Layer, and have what Text Chain will allow you to do with multiple layers.
    sampleImage() would be an over-engineered solution to a non-problem, if that makes sense?
    Many thanks
    Dani
  • Would it be possible to utilize the Max Width to use purely with a single text layer?  While I know the core functionality is to link multiple pieces of text together, I ran into a situation where being able to use a single piece of text would be fantastic. 
  • This is very useful.
    Recommendations:
    possibility for paragraphs:
    eg.
    Text1 Text 2that flows
    to next line.

Typographically correct and not scaling. I truly believe text should always be 100% and scaling done by point size. It is just simplewr to edit in the future, and much easier to stay true to brand guidelines.
    So fixed size has to set point size and tracking only, and condensed fonts will need to be chosen if too squashed. 
    EDIT: OH IT DOES! this is awesome!

• Hello Tristan
    Dani here, the script's author
    Thank you so much for your comment/review
    That's exactly how this is meant to be used. Should hire you to write my next product's user guide ;)
    All the best

• This looks awesome, Daniele! I just have a question about compatibility. Would this work in conjunction with TypeMonkey? For instance, could I create a TypeMonkey build, and then use this script afterward to edit the layout of the text? The reason I ask is that TypeMonkey generates a chain of control layers to produce the animation. (Each text layer is parented to a control layer, and each control layer is parented to the next, ultimately leading to the "master control" layer that's controlled by an expression. That expression is what creates the animation.) – I'm concerned that if I then used this script after the build, if would "break" the chain by creating its own control layer, therefore causing an error in the expression and getting rid of all the text animation. Can you speak to this at all?
  • Hello Connor Dani here, the script's author You're right, Text Chain access and writes expressions on the text layer's position property I guess you can download the trial and see what happens Are you more interested in the max-width feature or the auto-follow? Let me know if I can help Thanks Sent from my mobile
  • Is there any possibility of making text chain align to the center? I have three text layers and I am wanting the center text box to stay in the middle and use Max width.
  • Hello Matthew
    I am Text Cahin author, I think I should be able to help with that, but I need more information about your project as I am not sure I understood your needs - you should be able to achieve that already
    Can you please send me some visual reference?
    Thanks

• Hello,
    I just bought the script, but it does not work ...
    He gives me a dialogue box telling me that I lack 2 references of missing effects.

1.Text Chain
    2.Text Chain

you know how to enlighten me?
    Vincent

I work under macOs: 10.14.6
    After: 16.1.2
  • Hi Vincent,
    Thanks for purchasing Text Chain
    Unfortunately I've had a few customers having this error message, but still haven't got to the bottom of the issue
    The good news is despite the error message, the script works just fine, please try and change the sliders' values and let me know if this is the case
    All the best
    Dani
  • Permissions inssue with user data folder
    please give AE full read and write permissions to the ˜/Library/Application Support/Aescripts/Text Chain folder.

this way doesn't exist on my mac!
    what is the way to release these permissions???
  • Hello Eduardo Please make sure you tick off the Allow scripts to accesd and write files in your network https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/after-effects/using/scripts.html#targetText=To allow scripts to write,Scripts > [script name]. The Preference window should pop up already, otherwise find it under After Effects menu > preferences Thanks Dani
  • Thanks, I found it and it's enabled, after I click ok it creates a solid and a null with no properties
  • HEllo Eduardo
    Sounds like for some reasons when you clicked OK the Text layer was not selected
    Please try running the script with the text layers selected and let me know if that is working now?
    MAny thanks
    Dani
  • Hello Eduardo
    I am the Script's author
    Thanks for sharing the clip, I can see what's happening now
    The message you are getting is not coming from my script, but from AE
    For your information the Library folder on Mac is actually hidden, please read how you can access it here:
    or here:
    Seems like you do not have the permission to write in that folder (AKA the folder's privilege is set on Read only), that is a settings you have to unlock on your computer, do you know how to do it?
    Please let me know

• Eduardo
    I can read the folder's names as the video is low res
    can you attache stills instead?
    Thanks
  • the video was being processed, now you can watch in 4K
  • Eduardo
    That's clear now
    CAn you see the folder in your system is called 'aescript', with a lowercase 'a' ?

But the script is looking for a folder called 'Aescript' - see below:

˜/Library/Application Support/Aescripts/Text Chain folder.

You should rename the 'aescript' to 'Aescript'. And that should work

To be on the safe side, you can also create a folder called 'Text Chain' inside 'Aescript', so you'll end up having exactly the required path

Does it make sense?

Thanks
  • It works!
    Thank you so much for your help and your time.

In the first video I sent you, there is an example of the text layout, one on top of the other ... does your script work this way?

I need that when I hit the RETURN key on the text layer, the other text layers will still be linked and continue to respect the spacing. (other text layers will go down, when I line break the first text layer)

it is possible ?
    If not, would you know how to program it?
  • Eduardo I'm glad it works now! The vertical link is something I'm working on and will be available in the next update. I'll keep you posted Dani
  • Hello,
    Does this script works with RTL languages?
  • It should!

There is not a limitation within the code, in theory it should work with all Fonts supported in AE

I guess you can give it a try, the Free Trial has some limitations, but you'll be able to see if your font works

Please let us know how you get on

Many thanks
    Dani
  • Hi! Does the script work for text on separate lines?

For example, if you press “enter” does the text follow?
  • Hi @Yoan

Yes, it does. The text block follows even if it is distributed on multiple lines

Hope this helps. Any questions, please let me know

Regards
    Dani
  • Hi Dani, Awesome tool. I think I discovered a bug while testing the trial version. If one of the non-driver text layers in the chain has any effects applied before linking, when your script attempts to add the "Local tracking" slider effect to layers, it will fail to do so and cause an expression error on the position property of that layer, since it is referencing an effect that doesn't exist. Removing the effect before applying the Text Chain Link works, as does linking the text layers, then manually creating a slider effect and renaming it to "Local tracking." 
  • Hi Dani, Awesome tool. I think I discovered a bug while testing the trial version. If one of the non-driver text layers in the chain has any effects applied before linking, when your script attempts to add the "Local tracking" slider effect to layers, it will fail to do so and cause an expression error on the position property of that layer, since it is referencing an effect that doesn't exist. Removing the effect before applying the Text Chain Link works, as does linking the text layers, then manually creating a slider effect and renaming it to "Local tracking." 

Hi Jon, Thanks for flaging this up, I'll try to replicated this and fix it in the next release Is your effect another slider, or it happens with any filter applied to the non-driver? Thanks

Hi Jon, Thanks for flashing this up, I'll try to replicated this and fix it in the next release Is your effect another slider, or it happens with any filter applied to the non-driver? Thanks
    It seemed like it was happening if any effect at all was applied to a non-driver text layer before chaining the text layers together. It was happening with both built in AE effects and 3rd party plugins. I didn't test super extensively, but it seemed easily replicable. I'm on Windows 10, AE 2020. I haven't tested with the full version, in case that ends up making a difference.