• imageTextBox 2

TextBox is a native plugin that creates a perfectly sized, customisable shape behind your text that updates automatically and is applied directly to the text layer so no need for parenting, mattes or expressions.

https://aescripts.com/textbox/

• Excellent plugin! Thanks!
  • Oh man, you guys really raised your game on this update!

Used it for the first time today and it is really fantastic.... the upgraded elements you have added are exactly what the doctor ordered, excellent stuff :)

Keep up the great work!

J
  • Excellent plugin! Thanks!
    Glad to hear that Scott!
  • Oh man, you guys really raised your game on this update!

Used it for the first time today and it is really fantastic.... the upgraded elements you have added are exactly what the doctor ordered, excellent stuff :)

Keep up the great work!

J
    So happy to hear you're enjoying the product Justin :)
  • can you use custom shapes or shapes with a mask or solids with a mask?
  • can you use custom shapes or shapes with a mask or solids with a mask?
    Hi Geoffrey

Currently that feature is not supported but it has been requested so we will consider it in the future.
  • Is there an option to have the textbox be 3D if the text is? The box is not moving with my text when I move the camera
  • Is there an option to have the textbox be 3D if the text is? The box is not moving with my text when I move the camera
    Hi Markus

Unfortunatelty 3D transforms are not supported. We've been looking into a way to solve this issue for some time but it's much more complex than anticipated. 
  • Hi, can you make the Individual Expansion greater than +/- 1000? currently it is limited can't go beyond.

• Hi, can you make the Individual Expansion greater than +/- 1000? currently it is limited can't go beyond.

Hi Norman

Sure, I'll make this change in the next version. Do you need it urgently?
  • Hello, Is there a way to make the boxes stay uniform in size so they don't change sizes based on the font's ascenders/descenders?

• Hello, Is there a way to make the boxes stay uniform in size so they don't change sizes based on the font's ascenders/descenders?

Hi Caitlin 

Unfortunately there's currently no way to do that. However we'll look into this as a future feature. 
  • If you use two lines, is it possilbe for the expansion width to reflect the length of each line rather than the length of the longest line? instead of ending up with a big rectangle with lots of dead spaace and having to create separate layers for each line of text
  • If you use two lines, is it possilbe for the expansion width to reflect the length of each line rather than the length of the longest line? instead of ending up with a big rectangle with lots of dead spaace and having to create separate layers for each line of text
    Interesting idea Simon. Currently there's no way to do this. Adobe offers no way through the c++ API to separate the text into individual lines which is a real bummer. There are very hacky ways around this but they are the opposite of elegant. 
  • How would you have a box follow the shape of the text that's animating on with say the typewriter effect - So the box expands as the text is writing on?
  • How would you have a box follow the shape of the text that's animating on with say the typewriter effect - So the box expands as the text is writing on?
    Hi Matthew

You can use the typewriter effect for this, but replace the opacity 0% transform with a scale of 0%. Soon we'll be releasing an update that allows you to lock ascenders / descenders so the height of the box doesn't change. Let me know if you have any troubles with the typewriter effect.
  • Hi there, very useful script thank you. 2 important things :

- The opacity acts also on the text !! It's important to have the ability to reduce the opacity only for the fill !
    - The skew option only goes to 100% but it would be better if it could further to have nice tech box effects

Keep up the good work !
  • Hi there, very useful script thank you. 2 important things :

- The opacity acts also on the text !! It's important to have the ability to reduce the opacity only for the fill !
    - The skew option only goes to 100% but it would be better if it could further to have nice tech box effects

Keep up the good work !
    Hi Amine

Both very good points, I hope to add these in the next update. Thanks for your feedback. 
  • Hey,, great new features  in v2,, but will a paragraph/multiline feature ever be added into the mix? as this would be  so next level
  • Hey,, great new features  in v2,, but will a paragraph/multiline feature ever be added into the mix? as this would be  so next level
    Hi Weird Core

Totally agree. Unfortunately there's no elegant way to do this as the C++ API doesn't allow you to receive the text in individual lines/words. There is a hack solution which we've used in TextDelay & Monospacer, so we may add this into TB. Hopefully Adobe will respond to our feature request and implement such a feature in the future. 
  • Hello
    My license does not work anymore? How to do?
    Thank you
  • I'm trying to render on two computers. Is there no way to get it to render on two computers? with one license?
  • I'm trying to render on two computers. Is there no way to get it to render on two computers? with one license?
    Hi Drew

Not at the same time, however if one is finished rendering the other computer can then render if the first computer stops using TextBox. 
  • Hello
    My license does not work anymore? How to do?
    Thank you
    Hi Quentin

We've just updated the licensing framework. If you're still having licensing troubles could you please submit a support ticket?
    Hi Drew

Not at the same time, however if one is finished rendering the other computer can then render if the first computer stops using TextBox. 
    Doesnt seem to be working unless I deactivate the license on another machine. Getting this error "WARNING:After Effects warning: logged one error  'TextBox 2' is already being used by the maximum number of licenses allowed. You need to release a license from another machine to license this one. Until then, this instance will run in trial mode."
    Hi Drew

Doesnt seem to be working unless I deactivate the license on another machine. Getting this error "WARNING:After Effects warning: logged one error  'TextBox 2' is already being used by the maximum number of licenses allowed. You need to release a license from another machine to license this one. Until then, this instance will run in trial mode."
    Right. I believe if one of the computers isn't using TextBox the other can render. It may require the computer that's not using TB anymore to restart AE. 
  • Can I use it to create MOGRT?
  • Can I use it to create MOGRT?
    Hi Kukuh

Any projects you create with TextBox will require the end-users computer to also have TextBox installed. 
  • Any idea on when it will be 2020 compatible?
  • Any idea on when it will be 2020 compatible?
    Hi Brian

It's now compatible with 2020 :) Let me know if you run into any issues.
  • I used Textbox2 to create some MOGRTs for premire pro.  They work fine in the old version, but the box isn't visible on the new version of premire pro that just released (14.0) and I'm unsure how to fix it.
  • I used Textbox2 to create some MOGRTs for premire pro.  They work fine in the old version, but the box isn't visible on the new version of premire pro that just released (14.0) and I'm unsure how to fix it.
    Hi Krystyna

In Premiere is it glitching or just not working at all? TextBox 2 isn't officially supported in Premiere due to the Premiere SDK not exposing text vertices which is unfortunate. 
  • Hi Krystyna

In Premiere is it glitching or just not working at all? TextBox 2 isn't officially supported in Premiere due to the Premiere SDK not exposing text vertices which is unfortunate. 
    Premiere works just fine without any freezing.  I'm able to edit and do everything like normal, it's just the box behind the text that doesn't work in 14.0.  I made the animations in AE, exported it as a MOGRT, used Premire to edit the videos, throw in the MOGRT and edit the text.  Here's a side by side of the same video made in premiere v. 13.1.5 (old) and premiere v.14.0 (new).  

Thank you in advance for your time.  I didn't know that it wasn't supported in Premire since it worked flawlessly before!  If it was a happy coincidence it worked in the old version of premire and there's nothing that can be done, I'm sorry to have wasted your time.  
  • Hi Krystyna

Premiere works just fine without any freezing.  I'm able to edit and do everything like normal, it's just the box behind the text that doesn't work in 14.0.  I made the animations in AE, exported it as a MOGRT, used Premire to edit the videos, throw in the MOGRT and edit the text.  Here's a side by side of the same video made in premiere v. 13.1.5 (old) and premiere v.14.0 (new).  

Thank you in advance for your time.  I didn't know that it wasn't supported in Premire since it worked flawlessly before!  If it was a happy coincidence it worked in the old version of premire and there's nothing that can be done, I'm sorry to have wasted your time.  
    Hi Krystyna

Thanks for the comparison video. I actually didn't know it worked with mogrt's! I knew some people were using it via dynamic link, but I'll do some digging to see how difficult it might be to address this issue in Premiere 14.0. 
  • Hi Krystyna

Thanks for the comparison video. I actually didn't know it worked with mogrt's! I knew some people were using it via dynamic link, but I'll do some digging to see how difficult it might be to address this issue in Premiere 14.0. 
    Thank you so much for looking into it!  I'm glad I discovered a hidden functionality :) 
  • Hi James -

Love this plugin. I'm having a little trouble getting it to work with the Typewriter Text Animator preset. Is this what you meant here? I might be missing something. Thanks!
    How would you have a box follow the shape of the text that's animating on with say the typewriter effect - So the box expands as the text is writing on?
    Hi Matthew

You can use the typewriter effect for this, but replace the opacity 0% transform with a scale of 0%. Soon we'll be releasing an update that allows you to lock ascenders / descenders so the height of the box doesn't change. Let me know if you have any troubles with the typewriter effect.

• Kudos, this plugin in is ace and the lock ascenders / descenders is super useful especially when animating text with Animation composer.

One question, is it possible to add in a horizontal lock? As an example, if I use the Animation Composer 'scale character from start' there is a slight shift in the left hand edge of the text box.
  • Sean Eno said:
    Hi James -

Love this plugin. I'm having a little trouble getting it to work with the Typewriter Text Animator preset. Is this what you meant here? I might be missing something. Thanks!
    How would you have a box follow the shape of the text that's animating on with say the typewriter effect - So the box expands as the text is writing on?
    Hi Matthew

Hi Sean

Yes, so to have it work with the typewriter preset, remove the opacity 0% transform and replace it with scale 0%. Let me know if you have any issues.
  • Kudos, this plugin in is ace and the lock ascenders / descenders is super useful especially when animating text with Animation composer.

One question, is it possible to add in a horizontal lock? As an example, if I use the Animation Composer 'scale character from start' there is a slight shift in the left hand edge of the text box.
    Hi James

Thanks for your kind words. I tried animation composers "scale characters from start 2" and saw the shifting you mean. Essentially the character anchorpoint needs to be on the left of the character for this to not happen, which you can do by removing the animation composer expression on on "Grouping Alignment" under more options. Then shift it so the anchor point sits on the left. Let me know if my explanation wasn't very clear as it was a bit of a mouthful. 
  • Absolute legend! Thanks very much! This is on my shopping list for the week, and deep glow....in fact basically all your plugins :D
  • Absolute legend! Thanks very much! This is on my shopping list for the week, and deep glow....in fact basically all your plugins :D
    You're most welcome :)
  • Hi Krystyna

Thank you so much for looking into it!  I'm glad I discovered a hidden functionality :) 
    Hi Krystyna

I just tested a basic mogrt with TextBox 2 on the latest version of Premiere and it worked and rendered without issue. Could you please send me your mogrt for me to test further? Thanks.
  • Hi Krystyna

I just tested a basic mogrt with TextBox 2 on the latest version of Premiere and it worked and rendered without issue. Could you please send me your mogrt for me to test further? Thanks.

Well this is strange.  I tried out my MOGRT again and it works just fine!  I wonder if there was an update that fixed the issue.

Thank you again for your time and sorry for making you look into it when it resolved itself!  
  • Hi Krystyna

Well this is strange.  I tried out my MOGRT again and it works just fine!  I wonder if there was an update that fixed the issue.

Thank you again for your time and sorry for making you look into it when it resolved itself!  
    Hi Krystyna

No worries, glad it sorted itself out :) 
  • Very useful script.  One odd behavior is that if the text exits the frame the box completely disappears.  I'm sure if I precomped it that would fix the issue but precomps can burn in hell.  Is there a workaround or is that my only option?  
  • Very useful script.  One odd behavior is that if the text exits the frame the box completely disappears.  I'm sure if I precomped it that would fix the issue but precomps can burn in hell.  Is there a workaround or is that my only option?  
    Hi Austin

Thanks for your feedback. That could be a feature in the next update (which we're currently working on). I usually make the composition a bit larger so that the text can safely exit the final res frame without clipping, and then render that larger comp from a final res precomp. Not very elegant I understand but sometimes life is almost as disappointing as star wars episode one the phantom menace. 
  • Hi if i purchase this can i create mogrt templates that can be used without having this plugin installed?
    Thanks
    Fabio
  • Hi if i purchase this can i create mogrt templates that can be used without having this plugin installed?
    Thanks
    Fabio
    Hi Fabio

Unfortunately, the client will also need the plugin installed. 
  • How can I apply drop shadow etc... on text?
    When I try to do this, the effects are applied on whole object. 
  • Does this work with lottie/bodymovin?