• Is this plugin backwards compatible with earlier versions of AE? Most specifically, can it work in AE CC2018?
    Thanks.
    Dominic 
  • Hello,

Really excited about this but want to test it out first. I am trying to apply the lockdown effect so I hit "precompose"  and the lockdown effect is not showing on the footage layer in the precomp. Any ideas? Thanks!

My apologies!! Installed in incorrectly. Seems to be working now, thank you for the quick response! 
  • Hello,

Really excited about this but want to test it out first. I am trying to apply the lockdown effect so I hit "precompose"  and the lockdown effect is not showing on the footage layer in the precomp. Any ideas? Thanks!
    Can you please submit a support ticket with your operating system and PC info?
    https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=1462

Also, please check under Effect/Vranos/ and make sure Lockdown is installed there.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
  • Is this plugin backwards compatible with earlier versions of AE? Most specifically, can it work in AE CC2018?
    Thanks.
    Dominic 
    I just did a fast test, and it appears to work with Ae CC 2018 on Windows. That being said, we have done all of our testing with Ae 2019. I'd highly recommend upgrading to Ae 2019 to use Lockdown. I have no reason to expect you to have any issues in 2018, but simply the fact that we haven't done any testing in 2018 is reason enough to try to push you towards 2019, where we have thoroughly tested and ensured stability.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
  • Hi, I am using the demo version for a test. I am wondering do you have a full tutorial for the plugin? Cause I got stuck just at first step (Lockdown script). It says "Unable to execute script at line 4. Bad argument.". Could you help me to figure it out? Thank you.
  • I'm getting the same error. Unable to execute script at line 4.
  • JiaYu Jin said:
    Hi, I am using the demo version for a test. I am wondering do you have a full tutorial for the plugin? Cause I got stuck just at first step (Lockdown script). It says "Unable to execute script at line 4. Bad argument.". Could you help me to figure it out? Thank you.

I'm getting the same error. Unable to execute script at line 4.
    This is an error you'll get when you try to run the script through File/Scripts. But this is a panel script, you can't run it like that. Make sure Lockdown.JSXBIN is installed under Scripts/Script UI panels, and in After Effects when you go to use it, you open the JSXBIN under Window/Lockdown.jsxbin. To use the script, you have to open it as a panel, then press the buttons.

Here's the full length tutorial.

I'm going to make some edits to include this step however and re-upload later, I've seen this question a few times already through help tickets.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
  • This script is extremely cool, and giving me lots to play with... HOWEVER... I am at a loss for how to implement motion blur? How is the locked down layer actually moving? Does it support motion blur?

Cheers
  • This script is extremely cool, and giving me lots to play with... HOWEVER... I am at a loss for how to implement motion blur? How is the locked down layer actually moving? Does it support motion blur?

Cheers
    Lockdown is just like a corner pin. Each point moves from one position to another on each frame. The layer doesn't move, the vertices on the layer move.
    Sorry to say we don't yet support motion blur in the Plug-in, but the effect CC Force Motion Blur WILL work. CC Force Motion Blur takes 8 samples from between your individual frames, and blends them together. The down side is, it will take at least 8x as long to render, because it's calling Lockdown 8 times on each frame, at sub-frame intervals. Real motion blur is on our to-do list. But CC Force Motion Blur can get you through for now.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
  • Also wondering if a more indepth tutorial about using mocha to generate points is planned for the future? Obviously not how to track in mocha, but the workflow for a more complex mocha track into Lockdown
    Cheers!
  • Also wondering if a more indepth tutorial about using mocha to generate points is planned for the future? Obviously not how to track in mocha, but the workflow for a more complex mocha track into Lockdown
    Cheers!
    Here's the tutorial on how to get points out of Mocha:

At the moment, this is a tedious and slow process, I am sorry for that. We are thoroughly investigating a way to get points out of Mocha and into Lockdown, more automatically. I can't make any promises on what we'll be able to achieve, but we are trying.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
    Cheers!

At the moment, this is a tedious and slow process, I am sorry for that. We are thoroughly investigating a way to get points out of Mocha and into Lockdown, more automatically. I can't make any promises on what we'll be able to achieve, but we are trying.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
    Awesome. Hugely appreciated. Wonder if Mocha Pro would make it any easier, since it's not built in to AE, and more accessable.
    Cheers!

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
    Awesome. Hugely appreciated. Wonder if Mocha Pro would make it any easier, since it's not built in to AE, and more accessable.
    I'm sure there's a way it could be automated from Mocha Pro. I'm a die hard mocha user, I've used it just about every day since they bundled it with After Effects, and now even more that I've made Lockdown. We'll do everything we can to make it happen.
  • Can I buy one copy and install it on my laptop and PC? I only use one device at a time and only I use them
  • I did install the script correctly though. But after reading other comments, I think the problem might be the version of ae. I am using 2018.
  • JiaYu Jin said:
    I did install the script correctly though. But after reading other comments, I think the problem might be the version of ae. I am using 2018.
    Can you please submit a help ticket? 

So far we've found a lot of users are trying to run the Lockdown.jsxbin script through file/scripts, that's where we keep getting issues. But that's now how it's supposed to be used. You have to install the jsxbin in the Script UI Panels, then open it through Window/Lockdown.jsxbin. From there you call the commands with buttons.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator

Cheers
    Lockdown is just like a corner pin. Each point moves from one position to another on each frame. The layer doesn't move, the vertices on the layer move.
    Sorry to say we don't yet support motion blur in the Plug-in, but the effect CC Force Motion Blur WILL work. CC Force Motion Blur takes 8 samples from between your individual frames, and blends them together. The down side is, it will take at least 8x as long to render, because it's calling Lockdown 8 times on each frame, at sub-frame intervals. Real motion blur is on our to-do list. But CC Force Motion Blur can get you through for now.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
    I know with the MochaImportPlus plugin and Red Giant Corner Pin/Warp I've had the option to add motion blur when doing a Stabilized Precomp. Hopefully this can be an option in the future but I'm excited for Lockdown. I've never bought a plugin faster. 
  • Jay Smith said:
    This script is extremely cool, and giving me lots to play with... HOWEVER... I am at a loss for how to implement motion blur? How is the locked down layer actually moving? Does it support motion blur?

Cheers

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
    I know with the MochaImportPlus plugin and Red Giant Corner Pin/Warp I've had the option to add motion blur when doing a Stabilized Precomp. Hopefully this can be an option in the future but I'm excited for Lockdown. I've never bought a plugin faster. 
    We'll have to look into it for sure, we can make it run way faster if we build it in ourselves. I can't make any promises for the timeline, but I absolutely agree with you that it would be a great future addition.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • Hi how can I get a demo liscence ? 
    I have a black grid all over my shot and the drag and drop to make the tracking points appear doesn't work (probably because I dont have a demo liscence#)
    Thanks 
    I have a black grid all over my shot and the drag and drop to make the tracking points appear doesn't work (probably because I dont have a demo liscence#)
    Thanks 
    There is no demo license, the only way to remove the grid is to buy the software. Other than the grid, the software is fully functional in demo mode. If you're having issues placing points, you probably just have to enable After Effects UI interactions Ctrl/command + shift + H. Please see this tutorial at 1:42, it explains issues with clicking and dragging: 

If you have further issues, please submit a help ticket.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
    Thanks 
    There is no demo license, the only way to remove the grid is to buy the software. Other than the grid, the software is fully functional in demo mode. If you're having issues placing points, you probably just have to enable After Effects UI interactions Ctrl/command + shift + H. Please see this tutorial at 1:42, it explains issues with clicking and dragging: 

If you have further issues, please submit a help ticket.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
    THANKS !!!! 
  • I'm having to no luck with this. I get to step 3, put down my trackers w cntrl click drag and when i click track they mostly disappear
  • I'm having to no luck with this. I get to step 3, put down my trackers w cntrl click drag and when i click track they mostly disappear
    If you'd like, please submit a help ticket with the footage. I can run through it and try to see which settings get a good track. Our tracker automatically disgards tracks it don't find to be reliable, some of the ways you can help it are by greatly increasing the contrast with Levels, processing before/above Lockdown. Our Optional Tracking filter can also work, and you can increase contrast by eye until the black and white values just start to clip. There's also a feature called "Track always" in the Plug-in which will force every single point to do it's best tracking, and not be filtered out. That's also worth a try.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
  • Game changer. Worth the money. Quick question though...

How can I expand the mesh but not the tracking points? For example we need to keep the graphics within the mesh. BUT I am making a beard on my moving subject. The beard falls outside the mesh, hence the beard is cutoff in the master comp. Is there a way to expand the mesh without affecting the beard points?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks!

How can I expand the mesh but not the tracking points? For example we need to keep the graphics within the mesh. BUT I am making a beard on my moving subject. The beard falls outside the mesh, hence the beard is cutoff in the master comp. Is there a way to expand the mesh without affecting the beard points?

Yes! I just whipped through a tutorial for these purposes. Right now it's very unintuitive, and honestly we just need to program in a feature where you can click to place some extension points. But this should solve your problem for now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjhipmy0eov5uja/extension.mp4?dl=0

I'm not supposed to answer technical questions here in the comments, so if you have any follow ups, please do so through a help ticket. I just figured if I was going to respond back to tell you "hey, tutorial's done!" might as well slap the link in here rather than making you file a ticket for no reason. Please feel free to reach out with any other questions!

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
  • Outstanding. Thank you, Chris!
  • Hey Chris,
    This is working great is some cases, but like Eric said, extending points is a bit of a killer. I need to do a logo replace and the track is 100% solid where Mocha was not - but I need to extend around the logo into a featureless area (imaging like a water bottle or something, around the logo is smooth, featureless, untrackable, and as well as replacing the logo it needs to be bigger of course). I tried to follow the tut from the Dropbox link: go to externalise, set keys on 6-8 new points around the logo, internalise, tick off/on "interpolate", auto triangulate, apply mesh... the added extra points don't move at all, but the points from the original track on the logo do. Followed your QT exactly 4 or 5 times now. This is a bit of a killer. Can you be more specific in the tut in the steps as it seems like a few people are needing this functionality but struggling a bit. To me it really looks like I am doing exactly what you are doing and yet interpolation on the new points is not happening.
    Thanks
    JG
  • Hey Chris,
    This is working great is some cases, but like Eric said, extending points is a bit of a killer. I need to do a logo replace and the track is 100% solid where Mocha was not - but I need to extend around the logo into a featureless area (imaging like a water bottle or something, around the logo is smooth, featureless, untrackable, and as well as replacing the logo it needs to be bigger of course). I tried to follow the tut from the Dropbox link: go to externalise, set keys on 6-8 new points around the logo, internalise, tick off/on "interpolate", auto triangulate, apply mesh... the added extra points don't move at all, but the points from the original track on the logo do. Followed your QT exactly 4 or 5 times now. This is a bit of a killer. Can you be more specific in the tut in the steps as it seems like a few people are needing this functionality but struggling a bit. To me it really looks like I am doing exactly what you are doing and yet interpolation on the new points is not happening.
    Thanks
    JG
    Can you please submit a help ticket? If possible, I could really get to the bottom of it fast if you send a link (WeTransfer, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc...) with the project and media. I can whip through it and try to find a solution.
    Yes, I agree that extending the mesh totally sucks right now, it's a problem we didn't even think about until after we released, and our customers started mentioning it. We are currently building in a hotkey to place extension points, so this process is not so painful, copying and pasting from a null. You can expect that release within the next month.
    If the new points aren't interpolating, make sure they only have a single keyframe, then internalize them, then toggle "interpolate partial tracks" on and off. Admittedly we just found and fixed a bug in Lockdown V1 where sometimes externalized points are dis-considered for re-interpolation, no matter how many times you click "interpolate partial tracks". As a workaround, you can try externalizing every single point, then copying and pasting them fresh to a new instance of Lockdown. (So copy points 1-100 or however many, then select point 1 on the new effect instance, and paste, then internalize). Then press the interpolation checkbox. So yeah, I'd be glad to find a workaround with Lockdown V1 with a copy of your project file, and the next build of Lockdown will be a free update with this specific issue targeted.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator

• Can you please submit a help ticket? If possible, I could really get to the bottom of it fast if you send a link (WeTransfer, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc...) with the project and media. I can whip through it and try to find a solution.
    Yes, I agree that extending the mesh totally sucks right now, it's a problem we didn't even think about until after we released, and our customers started mentioning it. We are currently building in a hotkey to place extension points, so this process is not so painful, copying and pasting from a null. You can expect that release within the next month.
    If the new points aren't interpolating, make sure they only have a single keyframe, then internalize them, then toggle "interpolate partial tracks" on and off. Admittedly we just found and fixed a bug in Lockdown V1 where sometimes externalized points are dis-considered for re-interpolation, no matter how many times you click "interpolate partial tracks". As a workaround, you can try externalizing every single point, then copying and pasting them fresh to a new instance of Lockdown. (So copy points 1-100 or however many, then select point 1 on the new effect instance, and paste, then internalize). Then press the interpolation checkbox. So yeah, I'd be glad to find a workaround with Lockdown V1 with a copy of your project file, and the next build of Lockdown will be a free update with this specific issue targeted.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator

I'll try, right now I'm logged in as me but it's the company license. It's also a 2000frame shot for a product under NDA so this is not so easy to send. I'll see what I can do but TBH this might just kicked over to someone else with Nuke or something. Right now I am starting from scratch rather than using an existing track to see if that makes a difference

• I understand. Well from the previous shot that was already tracked, please try to select all points (including the extension points), then externalize all, then copy and paste them to a new instance of Lockdown, select all, internalize, and press "Interpolate partial tracks". That should bypass the bug which prevents those extension points from being interpolated. It could also help if those extended points are on the last frame of the sequence, instead of the first. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
  • Hey Chris,
    Thanks
    JG
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WSGYNT3X3I&feature=youtu.be

Added extension hotkey in Lockdown 1.1!

Added extension hotkey in Lockdown 1.1!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WSGYNT3X3I&feature=youtu.be
  • Any idea how to track a single subject which runs off screen?

I.E. A shot panning down a twisting torso. Camera pans from chest to hips. Mocha tracks pasted in, but when you pick a frame to lock down to your mesh, it only grabs what is on screen at the time, when REALLY you want a superpose of the entire shot... let the warping areas run off screen... Not sure if the new EXPAND feature would cover this since the image is what is lacking, not the mesh. Would be extremely useful.
  • Any idea how to track a single subject which runs off screen?

I.E. A shot panning down a twisting torso. Camera pans from chest to hips. Mocha tracks pasted in, but when you pick a frame to lock down to your mesh, it only grabs what is on screen at the time, when REALLY you want a superpose of the entire shot... let the warping areas run off screen... Not sure if the new EXPAND feature would cover this since the image is what is lacking, not the mesh. Would be extremely useful.
    You're totally right about this, we need a feature to make that possible. My workaround has been to pre-compose the footage, then expand the composition and make it much larger, with black on all sides of the footage centered in the composition. Then track that. However this is obviously problematic because it increases the tracking buffer size, which slows things down a bit, and it also totally confuses the tracker on the edge borders where it sees a line of black. We just need a script to do this automatically based off of the original sized footage. Maybe if it notices tracking marks out of bounds, it just expands it all automatically in a boundary efficient way.
    If you've already tracked it, as a workaround, you could probably do the pre-compose, and expand the comp downward, moving the footage to the top left. (Zero out anchor point and position to ensure it's pixel perfect). Then your points will still align without having any offsetting nonsense. That's far from ideal though. We need a fix for this problem.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
  • Chris,

Just recently purchased, already love it.

Working on a shot that requires some digital makeup on an actress who's contorting her face in horror etc.

So using the built in tracker on lock down, I was only able to hold on to her eyes and eyebrows. Her mouth changes shape too much I think. So I was looking at the mocha options you suggested to a friend of mine, to copy corner pin keyframes onto externalized points in Lockdown.

This got me thinking. If you just need X,Y information, then that's something that can be extracted from a layer mask.

So I did an experiment. I made and tracked a shape around her nose in Mocha. Then imported the mask onto a layer in AE. 

Then I found a free script that creates nulls from mask tangent points.

This magically created 13 nulls that were expressed position wise to each of my mask tangents. I modified all of the nulls to turn the expressions into keyframes, then one by one copied those keyframes to externalized points in lockdown. Then internalized them. Worked like a charm.

I'm wondering if this is something you could reverse engineer as a feature in lockdown? Just externalize the points.. select a mask from wherever, and steal the keyframe data from the mask tangents. 

Just curious. 

Love the product. Going to be using it a lot on this show!

John McConnell

• I recently purchased the plugin, but can't really find some toturial that will explain how it works. 
  • I recently purchased the plugin, but can't really find some toturial that will explain how it works. 
    Take a look here!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=ZM0XqCVgtRo

And also, see the 1.1 update video:

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
  • Hello,
    How can I track an area (a face for example) but enlarge the final area to add a hat or a beard for example?
    Thank you
  • Hello,
    How can I track an area (a face for example) but enlarge the final area to add a hat or a beard for example?
    Thank you
    It's actually really easy now. Please download Lockdown 1.1. There's a new hotkey, on Windows its Ctrl+shift+alt click. Cmnd+shift+alt click on Mac. You can create extension points which follow along with the rest of the mesh. Please see this video, the extension bit is at the end. You just click a few of them outside of the borders of your currently tracked points, and ensure "Interpolate Partial Tracks" is on:

https://youtu.be/CFOCNi817l4

For any additional questions, please open a support ticket and I'll be glad to answer them personally. 

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
  • Is there a Testversion for Mac? 
  • Is there a Testversion for Mac? 
    Yes, in the top right corner of the page, aescripts.com/lockdown, there's a green "TRY" button. Just press it, it'll download the trial version for you.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
  • please make a cc2018 version also!
  • please make a cc2018 version also!
    I'm sorry but we will not be doing that. It takes a lot of effort to support multiple versions of After Effects, we've decided that because all Creative Cloud users have access to the latest version of After Effects, we only support the latest version. This is not a decision we made lightly. In some cases it would take us months to both make a Plug-in work for all versions of After Effects when we update, and also be compatible across versions. We don't have a large enough team to pull that off, so instead we just focus on making it the best it can be for the latest build. If you own CC 2018, you also own CC 2020, so please upgrade to CC 2020 when you can!

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
  • Chris, I'm happy with my purchase. The plugin is magic: https://www.instagram.com/p/B49RDgLBepF/

However, FYI, it gets insanely slow after the tracking is done / mesh is created. It was impossible for me to remove those mesh lines. Everytime I alt-click, it takes about 30secs to process, AE locks up, and sometimes that one mesh line goes away. However most of the times it doesn't even work. And you can't do a second Alt-Click. It just freezes. To remove more than 1 line or tracking point, you have to click away on a different layer first, then click back on Lockdown effect to be able to do anything.

During all this, ONE thread of my 16 threads is constantly at 100%. (CPU = 6900K)
  • Was the warping with the line and text on sleeve in the video achieved solely with lockdown? or was an additional displacement map applied? I ask because it warps so well to each ripple on the leather sleeve but in the example you show with the Rhino that effect isn't as clearly shown.
  • Chris, I'm happy with my purchase. The plugin is magic: https://www.instagram.com/p/B49RDgLBepF/

However, FYI, it gets insanely slow after the tracking is done / mesh is created. It was impossible for me to remove those mesh lines. Everytime I alt-click, it takes about 30secs to process, AE locks up, and sometimes that one mesh line goes away. However most of the times it doesn't even work. And you can't do a second Alt-Click. It just freezes. To remove more than 1 line or tracking point, you have to click away on a different layer first, then click back on Lockdown effect to be able to do anything.

During all this, ONE thread of my 16 threads is constantly at 100%. (CPU = 6900K)
    I totally understand the issue, thanks for the feedback. This is high on our list to fix. We have a few other issues we may get to first, but we will address this soon. Sorry for the inconvenience with very dense meshes.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
  • Was the warping with the line and text on leather sleeve in the video achieved solely with lockdown? or was an additional displacement map applied? I ask because it warps so well to each ripple on the leather sleeve but in the example you show with the Rhino that effect isn't as clearly shown.
    This actually was achieved solely with Lockdown, except of course we used Mocha for some of the track points. The ripple in the fabric works so well because we used the luminance of the clothing to darken the graphic layer. So we took a black and white instance of the footage and used it as an adjustment layer to darken the Lockdown texture. It really helps blend the text into the clothing, and sell the illusion of depth, but it's just a basic compositing trick. Because the luminance matte is changing and moving with the footage, you get an illusion that that luminance information is motion, so it's easy to do and gets great results.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
  • how do i remove license from one computer and add to another. just bought new pc and want it on that one. 
  • how do i remove license from one computer and add to another. just bought new pc and want it on that one. 
    Go to the Plugin, then press "Register" at the top right. When the box pops up, press "de-activate". This releases the license. You can find the license again at: https://aescripts.com/downloadable/customer/products/

You can also use the aescripts manager app: https://aescripts.com/learn/aescripts-aeplugins-manager-app/ ;

Cheers,
    Chris
    Lockdown Creator
  • I have purchased lockdown and there is a black grid all over the screen making it unusable. How do I get rid of the black grid? It gets generated when I hit the Pre-Compose button. Nevermind just realized I needed to restart my computer after activating license.