BeatEdit for After Effects
  • Had this already for premiere but so great it's out for after effects too! And much improved too, thanks !!!

• Thank you for the kind words, Coen!
    Had this already for premiere but so great it's out for after effects too! And much improved too, thanks !!!

• Bought it for AE, installed it... but where is it? doesn’t show in PLUGINS or SCRIPTS? am I being stupid?

I WAS BEING STUPID PROBLEM SOLVED!! :-)

• Thank you for the feedback, Simon.
    Just in case anybody else is confused, you find BeatEdit in the Ae menu at 
    Window->Extensions->BeatEdit

Bought it for AE, installed it... but where is it? doesn’t show in PLUGINS or SCRIPTS? am I being stupid?

I WAS BEING STUPID PROBLEM SOLVED!! :-)

• Hello
    I just download BeatEdit for Ae and install,but ZXP tell me I was install failed on After effects,and I still can see BeatEdit inafter effects,but it's not working after I click,can you help me about that?

My AE is CC 2018

thank you.
    Have a nice day 
  • Hi Hong,
    can you please open a support ticket here:
    and include
    1) screenshots showing the error message of the installer
    2) screenshots showing what exactly is not working when launching BeatEdit
    The more details we know, the quicker and better we are able to help.
    Also, make sure to use this installer:

Cheers,
    Mathias

Hello
    I just download BeatEdit for Ae and install,but ZXP tell me I was install failed on After effects,and I still can see BeatEdit inafter effects,but it's not working after I click,can you help me about that?

My AE is CC 2018

thank you.
    Have a nice day 

• Just installed twice and no luck. The zip file says it was installed successfully but I don't see any panels, scripts or effects with your product name. I feel stupid. :(
  • Okay, I had an old installer in my Applications folder so I downloaded the current MXP installer from AE Scripts and it worked. It took me some time to find it in the extensions folder under window. Let's see if this tool will help me beat my deadline. :)
  • Thank you for your feedback, Douglas,

yes, please make sure to always use our ZXP installer from here
    or the aescripts manager app

Adobe really created a mess here: They discontinued their own installer "Extension Manager CC" and asked us to develop our own installers for our users. However, on many systems "Extension Manager CC" is still installed (and even registered as default application!) but fails to do anything and gives no helpful error messages.

We describe this in the installation instructions, but I understand that people often don't read that. I am sorry that we cannot make the installation experience more smooth, but if you use our installer, everything should work fine.

Just installed twice and no luck. The zip file says it was installed successfully but I don't see any panels, scripts or effects with your product name. I feel stupid. :(
    Douglas White said:
    Okay, I had an old installer in my Applications folder so I downloaded the current MXP installer from AE Scripts and it worked. It took me some time to find it in the extensions folder under window. Let's see if this tool will help me beat my deadline. :)

• Great plugin, team this up with Davy.Studio FreqReact and you can get some amazing motion graphics to sound stuff going.
  • Hello, 

When i load music into BeatEdit, it seems take forever to detect the beat. Beat detection in progress step 3/5. I left it for about 10 minutes but nothing comes up. I use the latest version with Premiere Pro 2018. Please advise ! Thank you
  • Hello Hans,

this sounds like an antivirus program is blocking the beat detection process. Does it work if you disable any antivirus temporarily?
    If you are on Windows, also make sure to install the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 x86 from here
    (make sure to choose the x86 and not x64 version!)

If all of this does not help, please open a support ticket at
    https://aescripts.com/contact/
    and I will explain you the next steps to figure out what exactly goes wrong on your system.

Hans Shin said:
    Hello, 

When i load music into BeatEdit, it seems take forever to detect the beat. Beat detection in progress step 3/5. I left it for about 10 minutes but nothing comes up. I use the latest version with Premiere Pro 2018. Please advise ! Thank you

• Hello. The plug-in does not start. I clicked in the extension, but the plug-in does not start.
    The installation was also successful. Installed using zxp instller.

The language is Japanese. cc2020 win10 is used.
  • This sounds like some permission issues on your system.
    Please make sure to use the aescripts + aeplugins ZXP installer which is available here:
    https://aescripts.com/learn/zxp-installer/
    If it still does not work, open a support ticket (https://aescripts.com/contact/)
    and send us a screenshot showing how aescripts ZXP installer shows the extension as installed or if it shows any error message during the installation. Also, please try whether it helps if you go to the advanced settings of the installer and enable "Extension Debugging" for all versions listed there. After doing this, you need to restart After Effects.

Hello. The plug-in does not start. I clicked in the extension, but the plug-in does not start.
    The installation was also successful. Installed using zxp instller.

The language is Japanese. cc2020 win10 is used.

• Hi, wondering if there's a way to programmatically apply BeatEdit inside of a render-only template. I'd like to use this to detect audio cues but without having to apply the plugin to unique music tracks each time. Thanks 
  • Hi Jonathan,

some of our tools provide scripting APIs (see https://mamoworld.com/article/kbar-and-scripting-apis) but BeatEdit does not have a scripting API, yet, so you can only use it manually.

Thank you for your feedback, I've put it on the list of feature requests. The more people request this, the more likely we will implement that in future versions.

Hi, wondering if there's a way to programmatically apply BeatEdit inside of a render-only template. I'd like to use this to detect audio cues but without having to apply the plugin to unique music tracks each time. Thanks 

• Hi, can BeatEdit triggers an animation like every beats start over an animation again? I don't know how maybe use time remapping feature can achieve this ? Thanks.
  • Yes, the easiest way to repeat an animation at each beat is to keyframe the animation and then repeat the keyframes as shown in this tutorial

Hi, can BeatEdit triggers an animation like every beats start over an animation again? I don't know how maybe use time remapping feature can achieve this ? Thanks.

• and time remapping is also possible

• It would be great to have a tool like this, but all of the tools I've seen that do this have bad timing, including Beat Edit. Even the demo video's timing is way off. Music and beats almost never line up with keyframes and so sub-frame markers are needed, but frames and animations also have to match that timing. No disrespect to what you've created, I think it's just a really hard problem to solve. 
  • Hi Wade,
    I had a lot of discussions about this with different kinds of people. An interesting aspect here is that whereas everybody agrees about a tempo (bpm) if you zoom into your timeline and wonder about the exact location about a beat in the milliseconds range, people start to disagree quickly. It seems to be a matter of taste where exactly you think the beat is and if some animation matches the beat of not. Many people don't notice  a difference with those subtle timing changes at all, but those who do usually don't agree about what it the right timing.
    Musicians also have those very subtle "inaccuracies" in their timing that actually make the song sound less mechanic and more vivid. There is not a single way to do this right. At the sub-frame level, do what feels good to you, but don't expect everybody to agree :-)

Wade Ha said:
    It would be great to have a tool like this, but all of the tools I've seen that do this have bad timing, including Beat Edit. Even the demo video's timing is way off. Music and beats almost never line up with keyframes and so sub-frame markers are needed, but frames and animations also have to match that timing. No disrespect to what you've created, I think it's just a really hard problem to solve. 

• Hello Mathias! :) 

Thank you for creating BeatEdit, It is a great tool. I have just started experimenting with it, I am facing a problem with "Add Extra Markers" , When I generate extra markers, These are all getting created on the layer, I mean I only want extra markers which are in the highlighted region
    (Blue), But when I create markers using "Create Marker" Button, All extra markers(Yellow) are beaning generated on the timeline, Ignoring highlighted region.Is there any workaround for this or this is a bug? Please help.
  • Hi,

the "Create Markers" button does not limit marker creation to the highlighted area, but it limits it to the work area of your comp (unless you shift-click "create markers"). So instead of selecting the area in BeatEdit, just select it with the work area before creating the markers.

Cheers,
    Mathias

Hello Mathias! :) 

Thank you for creating BeatEdit, It is a great tool. I have just started experimenting with it, I am facing a problem with "Add Extra Markers" , When I generate extra markers, These are all getting created on the layer, I mean I only want extra markers which are in the highlighted region
    (Blue), But when I create markers using "Create Marker" Button, All extra markers(Yellow) are beaning generated on the timeline, Ignoring highlighted region.Is there any workaround for this or this is a bug? Please help.

• Hi,

the "Create Markers" button does not limit marker creation to the highlighted area, but it limits it to the work area of your comp (unless you shift-click "create markers"). So instead of selecting the area in BeatEdit, just select it with the work area before creating the markers.

Cheers,
    Mathias

Hello Mathias! :) 

Thanks Mathias! ! This solves the problem!
  • Hey Guys - How about if i am trying to use beatedit for a 1.5 hour long mix with different beats? Can I isolate a certain part of the mix only?  Thanks :)

• Hi Josi,
    BeatEdit can only load files with single songs.

The reason is that for the beat detection process the entire uncompressed audio needs to be stored in memory. This is feasible for 3 or 5 minutes, but not for 1.5 hours. So BeatEdit is useful if you want to create long mixes based on music clips for individual songs, but not if you want to use such a mix as input.

We have ideas how we could support very long files in the future, but we have no detailed plans for such a feature, yet.
    Hey Guys - How about if i am trying to use beatedit for a 1.5 hour long mix with different beats? Can I isolate a certain part of the mix only?  Thanks :)

• Yes, understood and thank you for the response. My question is if I can somehow isolate a single song in the mix? Say 30-40 secs of a song? Whenever I load beatedit, it pulls the entire mix. 

• Currently your only option is to create an audio file that only contains this section. You can actually do that in Ae: Set the workarea of your comp to the section you like, add it to the render queue, in the output module settings choose format "wav" and render settings make sure time span is set to "workarea only". Now you have a wav file containing only this section that you can place in your comp and load into BeatEdit.
    Not ideal but the best option you have at the moment.

Yes, understood and thank you for the response. My question is if I can somehow isolate a single song in the mix? Say 30-40 secs of a song? Whenever I load beatedit, it pulls the entire mix. 

• Hello, I notice there is nothing in the BEAT WIGGLE area. Is there something extra needed to show that area? Thank You
  • Hi Frank,

this sounds like BeatEdit cannot initialize properly on your system - maybe the license check is blocked by some antivirus or something similar. Please open a support ticket at
    Best include a screenshot showing the user interface such that I can see how the BeatWiggle area looks like and if anything else is unusual.

Hello, I notice there is nothing in the BEAT WIGGLE area. Is there something extra needed to show that area? Thank You

• Im also having the same problem with nothing being in the beat wiggle area and was wopndering if there is a fix

• Hi Laurence,

Please open a support ticket at

Best include a screenshot showing the user interface such that I can see how the BeatWiggle area looks like and if anything else is unusual.
    Im also having the same problem with nothing being in the beat wiggle area and was wopndering if there is a fix

• BeatEdit for AE trial not loading UI
  • I seem to remember being able to add numbers to the beat markers in a previous version - either as 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 or 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. Is this not possible anymore?
  • I seem to remember being able to add numbers to the beat markers in a previous version - either as 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 or 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. Is this not possible anymore?
    No, BeatEdit never had this feature. What I do sometimes is creating markers on two different layers like
    1. one marker for every beat on layer 1
    2. one marker for every 4th beat on layer 2
    That way, you can also see easily, if a marker is the first, second, third or fourth in a bar.
  • Hi,

Using beat Edit in both AE 2020 & 2022, I find that 'add extra markers' does not function.  I am able to subdivide beats and preview, but when I tick 'add markers' and change any of the parameters, nothing happens....There's no change or preview.  Nothing also changes if you add the markers to the comp
  • Thank you for your feedback, Rebecca.
    Could you please open a support ticket and best attach a screenshot showing how the user interface looks like after you enabled the "add exra markers"? When you "add extra markers"  it does not affect markers you already have in the composition. But there should occur additional orange beat lines in the preview of BeatEdit as shown in this tutorial:

Also, does the issue happen for all songs or only a specific one?
  • Hi

I've just purchased a new Hi Spec PC with Windows 11 installed (details below)

I have also installed the most recent version of After Effects 2024

I have installed BeatEdit through the AE Scripts App as I usually do with my old computers

I can see that it installs ok (I even try installing it manually through ZXP installer) 

I can see it in After Effects, but when clicking it, nothing happens. The same thing happens with File Hunter - I knew that would eventually die because the devs have admitted that they cannot continue it, however the exact same thing is happening with BeatEdit

Can you please try and find a workaround for me?

Alex

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 16-Core Processor               4.50 GHz
    Installed RAM 64.0 GB (63.2 GB usable)
    NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 4090

• Hi Alex,

see here for a solution:

Hi

I've just purchased a new Hi Spec PC with Windows 11 installed (details below)

I have also installed the most recent version of After Effects 2024

I have installed BeatEdit through the AE Scripts App as I usually do with my old computers

I can see that it installs ok (I even try installing it manually through ZXP installer) 

I can see it in After Effects, but when clicking it, nothing happens. The same thing happens with File Hunter - I knew that would eventually die because the devs have admitted that they cannot continue it, however the exact same thing is happening with BeatEdit

Can you please try and find a workaround for me?

Alex

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 16-Core Processor               4.50 GHz
    Installed RAM 64.0 GB (63.2 GB usable)
    NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 4090

• Is this possible to create karaoke video with beatedit in automatic way ?
    any info or tutorial is available for such thing ?
  • You can make text appear in sync with the music word by word, but only in sync with the beats, but not in sync with the original voice of the song. BeatEdit is great to create background animations for your karaoke videos, but for the timing of the text you need something else.
    What you could try is to sync your text with Premiere Pro's Speech to Text, then export the Text as SRT file and then import the SRT file as text layers in After Effects with Automation Blocks
    See this video:

Is this possible to create karaoke video with beatedit in automatic way ?
    any info or tutorial is available for such thing ?